PDA

View Full Version : Couple of newbie questions


trr061984
12-07-2013, 02:23 AM
I have recently got into Nitro 1/8th, but I am also considering buying an additional 1/8th buggy and going electric. However, the thing that attracted me to the Nitro in the first place was the lengthy run times that can be enjoyed (I came from 1/10th buggies and still race them). So, what type of run times are we looking at for a brushless 1/8th buggy?

ian h
12-07-2013, 05:58 AM
I manage 20 minute finals at my club. Could probably get more with bigger packs or different gearing or esc settings.

levontraut
12-07-2013, 06:44 AM
depending on your motor and lipos and how smooth or agresive you are you can get 20+ min

with my current setup being 50/50 of smooth and agresive i can get 28min

Jason A
12-07-2013, 07:07 AM
Hi I am running a Team Durango Dex408 with a Tekin 1900kv motor.

I am running 6600mah battery packs.

I can get 20+ mins easily off these packs and have made 26mins.

Once the new Orion 8000mah packs have fully hit the market I am sure 30min will be no problem.

The way to get the run times is to reduce the currant limiter on the speedo.

Even set at about 50% on my speedo it will still out perform a nitro car on track.

Plus it's trying to drive smartly with out your finger on full throttle all time.

levontraut
12-07-2013, 08:34 AM
The way to get the run times is to reduce the currant limiter on the speedo.

Even set at about 50% on my speedo it will still out perform a nitro car on track.



this is a very big change that makes or breaks your 20+ min

i have sent my esc to 80% and it really helps out from 18min to 26 min

Adam F
12-07-2013, 06:16 PM
What gearing are you running?

Hi I am running a Team Durango Dex408 with a Tekin 1900kv motor.

I am running 6600mah battery packs.

I can get 20+ mins easily off these packs and have made 26mins.

Once the new Orion 8000mah packs have fully hit the market I am sure 30min will be no problem.

The way to get the run times is to reduce the currant limiter on the speedo.

Even set at about 50% on my speedo it will still out perform a nitro car on track.

Plus it's trying to drive smartly with out your finger on full throttle all time.

Jason A
12-07-2013, 07:18 PM
What gearing are you running?

21-22 pinion on kit standard spur gear.

trr061984
16-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Thanks very much for this. 20+ seems reasonable enough to me.

Anyone suggest a reasonably price motor and Speed controller combo for me then which is not going to be impossible to handle but not too mellow either?

Pulse
16-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Thanks very much for this. 20+ seems reasonable enough to me.

Anyone suggest a reasonably price motor and Speed controller combo for me then which is not going to be impossible to handle but not too mellow either?

xerun 120a esc + tekin 1900kv

best bang for the buck and i've owned all brands

if you really want long runtimes think about running 6s with a low kv motor like a 1400kv t8 from tekin, your temps will be lower too and you'll be just as fast if not faster

i manage 20 minutes racing from a 3300mah 6s lipo with a 1400kv

notice 6s 3300mah = 5s 4000mah = 4s 5000mah in terms of runtimes and weight

if you want more runtime:
- increase your punch control value (torque limiter)
- use more progressive throttle and brake curves
- lower your brakes value
- lower your timing value
- remove any drag brake
- use lower kv motor
- use exponential on gaz on your radio
- drive smoother
- drop a teeth on your pinion
- lower your cut off (never under 3,0v)
...

there are many things to do

trr061984
29-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Thanks for this. Where is everyone purchasing their motors, esc and batts? My usual haunts seem to be 1/10th and nitro focused.