View Full Version : Club meeting - Sunday 28th July CANCELLED- TRACK FLOODED!
DianneH
27-07-2013, 07:05 AM
Club meeting this Sunday - usual time - arrive at about 10.15 am for track preparation then open practice
Heats start at 11.30 am
Meeting finishes no later than 4pm
Last week managed to do 5 rounds and 7 minutes finals
Aim is to give as much track time as possible
Aire valley
27-07-2013, 08:35 AM
Thanks Dianne....... Ollie and I will be there.... Forecast is for heavy rain overnight be should be dry tomorrow. Hopefully.. :)
Danny Harrison
28-07-2013, 07:52 AM
Are we on today then? I need to set off soon if im gonna get there ontime :)
Oscar
28-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Track is flooded!! please do not travel :thumbdown:
Aire valley
28-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Bit late...! Drove 25 miles to find that out....:cry:
DianneH
28-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Sorry Alan - was not aware until I arrived at the track this morning. I did try to get the message out as soon as I could.
Dianne
Bells
28-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Quite bad
Aire valley
28-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Sorry Alan - was not aware until I arrived at the track this morning. I did try to get the message out as soon as I could.
Dianne
That's ok Dianne...not your fault it rained..!:lol: Just looking forward to racing today...... Perhaps it is time , with other things that have been mentioned , to consider resiting the track to a less vulnerable area as flooding is such a regular occurrence .?
Danny Harrison
28-07-2013, 02:09 PM
I think so too and id be happy to help do the hard work. I was on route to the track too when I found out :(
NeilRalph77
28-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Yeh the heart and soul of Batley has to stay the same, the straight the banked curve still with the options to cut in and out, and the double and table top both work well but does anyone remember them recently being run the other direction? if we do move things need to be considered
Aire valley
28-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Building a new track is not easy.! It takes a lot of thought..... I was heavily involved in the design and build of Aire Valleys dirt track back in the day...
The best system is to lay out a design with pipes or whatever and try different layouts before deciding..then think about permanent features such as jumps and table tops, finally leaving room for variations... Don't rush it ! :)
Again, another reason why we need to move location, as much as I like our track I find it hard to justify investing any time and effort in maintaining or improving the track due to problems with vandalism or flooding. "IF" we do find another location I am in no doubt that there would be plenty of people willing to help build our new track. Also, has there been anymore news on pulling the baths down?.
smokes
28-07-2013, 11:27 PM
any chance of using our indoor venue next week?
thanks
Aire valley
29-07-2013, 08:57 AM
any chance of using our indoor venue next week?
thanks
Why would you want to race indoors during the summer...? Expecting rain again !! :lol:
Danny Harrison
29-07-2013, 10:27 AM
any chance of using our indoor venue next week?
thanks
Pretty sure the indoor venue needs to be block booked. I'd love to see a new venue though. Batley is such a great club with large membership. It would be ace to see something new :thumbsup:
Aire valley
29-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Couldn't agree more Danny.... Batley has arguably been the most successful club in the area over a very long time, mainly due, IMO, to its consistency..:thumbsup: In order to maintain that reliability, the track needs to be available and less subject to the vagaries of weather... This would be my main reason for moving to a better drained site. Apart from that, the existing facilities ( and members ) are great. :)
smokes
29-07-2013, 06:47 PM
The cost of relocation would be pretty expensive though.:bored:
I was just thinking if the track end up getting flooded like last year we might as well run indoors.
NeilRalph77
31-07-2013, 07:25 AM
Anyone been down? has the water drained? what sort of condition is the track in?
Bells
31-07-2013, 03:21 PM
Anyone been down? has the water drained? what sort of condition is the track in?
It had drained away but we've just had some heavy rain today , I will call down sat morning and have a look
Aire valley
31-07-2013, 05:22 PM
I was there this afternoon and, as Bells says, the water had drained away... the track looked suprisingly ok apart from some of the astro turf in the straight bubbling.. no doubt needs to dry out further.. However it has rained since then but forecast for tomorrow is good..
Any chance of resurrecting the Keighley track.!.:lol:
Danny Harrison
31-07-2013, 06:54 PM
We need Dianne to comment on this thread. I think we have enough bodies to build a track. Sourcing astro at a reasonable price is also doable.
What do you think Dianne?
DianneH
02-08-2013, 12:19 AM
We already have astroturf waiting but need a suitable venue if we are going to move. Not really worth putting it down at current track if it is still prone to flooding.
Not heard anything from Steve Kirk since I spoke with him a couple of months ago about the possibility of using some land owned by a friend of his.
If we are going to move we need to make sure it is suitable and has room for car parking, toilets etc.
A barn could be a great idea where we could build an outdoor track - indoors - and race all year round.
oranjedrol
02-08-2013, 10:28 AM
A barn would be perfect
Aire valley
02-08-2013, 11:37 AM
I have often thought that a "Dutch " type barn, roofed but part open at the sides would be perfect, but a bit of a dream.:). Even James Helliwell hasnt done that.!
Then again, I believe that Storm Valley ? In Cheshire has done something like that..
We need a friendly farmer..:lol:
Danny Harrison
02-08-2013, 11:55 AM
I spoke to steve recently too about this land and got the impression its all good. Lets get the ball rolling :)
Bells
03-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Track is dry this morning , no flooding so should be ok for tomorrow :thumbsup:
budfish
03-08-2013, 09:57 AM
A roofed barn would be excellent like dianne said 1 venue all year round:thumbsup:
Hopefully be racing with you tomorrow weather permitting
Buds
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.