View Full Version : New forum disscussion track improvements.
budfish
28-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Right guys after chatting with a good few members and non members today and their thoughts on the track and the general opinion was its to big and to flat so let's have a broad disscussion on what we want.
1st. New race control built in brick ? We are absolutely miles away financially it'll take years before its even a consideration to invite planners and architects.
2nd improve the track which I think if we spend what we have now on different surfaces and some bigger features ie the ramp infront of the table top today was good and that it should become like that permanently wouldn't cost much and the upside down saucer in the middle should be a huge 4ft volcano type mound with long fast jump length ways and slow high jumps width ways would be cool I think if we spend it now the new race control would be funded faster than if we proceed on this crown green characterless track
3rd but a roof on the rostrum
No silly responses please just constructive opinions
Buds
fil9144
28-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Right guys after chatting with a good few members and non members today and their thoughts on the track and the general opinion was its to big and to flat so let's have a broad disscussion on what we want.
1st. New race control built in brick ? We are absolutely miles away financially it'll take years before its even a consideration to invite planners and architects.
2nd improve the track which I think if we spend what we have now on different surfaces and some bigger features ie the ramp infront of the table top today was good and that it should become like that permanently wouldn't cost much and the upside down saucer in the middle should be a huge 4ft volcano type mound with long fast jump length ways and slow high jumps width ways would be cool I think if we spend it now the new race control would be funded faster than if we proceed on this crown green characterless track
3rd but a roof on the rostrum
No silly responses please just constructive opinions
Buds
We have loads of ramps not even used most of the time and think maybe surface change in places would be easy and cheap to do... But I also think bury as a club which i have gone to on and off since i was 14 which adds up to over 20 years when the divs at bury model shop ran it and in all that time as always had good steady number but i don't think you will change the number of people because of few track changes just won't happen with best will in the world which is the reason roger always said no... But I do agree that a few cheap changes without blowing loads of money would be more suited to bury
budfish
28-07-2013, 11:20 PM
2 years ago at the agm we decided to put club racing fees up to a fiver from 3 quid the basis of the decision was purely based on to raise extra cash for track improvements. Since that point virtually no money has been spent by the club on this agreement. That's why there's the money is there
4 years ago the club said it was closing since then we've had a new track attendance is up year and year costs ain't going up only by a gallon of petrol a month which ill tell you now is roughly the same as the rent if or when they collect it.
Over the years I spoke many times about this to roger at my house his house and at the track and I know it's what he would want
As for numbers again I beg to differ I've loads of mates/buds balls sponsored f1/f2/f3 drivers all over the country the one thing they take away with them from our track is its crap
The quality of a club is measured by the quality of its track full stop
fil9144
28-07-2013, 11:48 PM
2 years ago at the agm we decided to put club racing fees up to a fiver from 3 quid the basis of the decision was purely based on to raise extra cash for track improvements. Since that point virtually no money has been spent by the club on this agreement. That's why there's the money is there
4 years ago the club said it was closing since then we've had a new track attendance is up year and year costs ain't going up only by a gallon of petrol a month which ill tell you now is roughly the same as the rent if or when they collect it.
Over the years I spoke many times about this to roger at my house his house and at the track and I know it's what he would want
As for numbers again I beg to differ I've loads of mates/buds balls sponsored f1/f2/f3 drivers all over the country the one thing they take away with them from our track is its crap
The quality of a club is measured by the quality of its track full stop
I do kinda agree with you it's boring as hasnt got anything to it really but numbers wish people wont change there habits any time soon although batley is flooded so people may come from there unless they take up boats lol i just think maybe some new bits be great idea
budfish
29-07-2013, 12:01 AM
It's a great starting point we just need someone with the balls and the cheque book to say yes. Trust me it would pay dividends look at what the gymnasts got holly mollie what if the built them a gym with no changing rooms or no bleeding ropes hanging from the ceiling would they have excepted that? You should of seen the fools the council sent to build it they hadn't a clue.
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Budfish1975/f26986a5.jpg
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Budfish1975/null_zps6f746e4c.jpg
Me and rob mills on one of the many jumps we used to have
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Budfish1975/acd176b7.jpg
The wood on the block paved hair pin on top of one of our high speeds jumps at the end of the straight
Si Coe
29-07-2013, 12:01 AM
The problem as I see it is that people always say they want stuff, but then they don't like it when they get it....
The track isn't flat. Its got more jumps than Southport for a start - the difference is that Southports track banks up towards the back. Also Southport has more bumps, which substitute for jumps.
Whilst on the subject of Southport, people grumble that Bury is all one surface, but at Southport they complain about tyre wear instead. Because the new track lacks the cobbles of the old one tyres last forever - you can't have it both ways.
My concern is that more than a few people have told me that the 'Death or Glory' ramp on the old track was what nearly killed the club - because getting it wrong meant a broken shock tower. But that is exactly the sort of thing gets built when you ask people what they want.
fil9144
29-07-2013, 12:08 AM
The problem as I see it is that people always say they want stuff, but then they don't like it when they get it....
The track isn't flat. Its got more jumps than Southport for a start - the difference is that Southports track banks up towards the back. Also Southport has more bumps, which substitute for jumps.
Whilst on the subject of Southport, people grumble that Bury is all one surface, but at Southport they complain about tyre wear instead. Because the new track lacks the cobbles of the old one tyres last forever - you can't have it both ways.
My concern is that more than a few people have told me that the 'Death or Glory' ramp on the old track was what nearly killed the club - because getting it wrong meant a broken shock tower. But that is exactly the sort of thing gets built when you ask people what they want.
In fact the double jumps on the old track that took roger and stu ages to do some members came and dug them up lol it's not all bowt what people think because sumone always have diff view and my view a prem table top be mistake when we have 2 wooden 1s both diff sizes sure people can have ideas that arnt expense and easy to try maybe a diff type surface on the track?
budfish
29-07-2013, 12:15 AM
It was the edging stones and the dodgey joins in the astro that threw you into things like trees/bushes/cabins/over the grassy knoll that killed the cars 20 ton of hardcore 20 square metres of block paving would be all we need the astro we cut up for the block could be used to patch in the extra proposed jumps
budfish
29-07-2013, 12:17 AM
In fact the double jumps on the old track that took roger and stu ages to do some members came and dug them up lol it's not all bowt what people think because sumone always have diff view and my view a prem table top be mistake when we have 2 wooden 1s both diff sizes sure people can have ideas that arnt expense and easy to try maybe a diff type surface on the track?
Ever been to the astro track at robinhood Phil?
sticky
29-07-2013, 06:03 AM
I'm fully aware I've only been once, but maybe a fresh set of unbiased eyes and opinions helps.....
I personally like the idea of improvements to the roofing of the rostrum, to include improved railings.
I enjoyed the track, joins in the astro are well done, I do feel that a change of surface to part of the track if carefully done would be of benefit.
The up ramp to the right hand table top would be better as a permanent feature, however please take care that seeing the upside of the ramp isn't possible from the rostrum.
The 'X' bump I felt broke the consistency and flow, because it's not consistent across the track.
Electric supply to the control would also be of benefit.
You are very lucky having such a location, I look forward to seeing the club and track continue it's development.
gazhillAE
29-07-2013, 06:10 AM
IMHO I think the old track was way better
The new one is boring and unpredictable
The table top jump is rediculous and different every lap and to have that as the first major corner at the start of a final is crazy not just my opinion.
The quads are ok they can be done every lap quite consistently but are also random as there different on both sides and also a car braker if you get them wrong.
Think personally going from the old track with multiple features to the new one was a massive down grade but that's not my decision.
The people who moan about tyre wear need to spend a bit more money on tyres if they want to be competitive which is what racing is all about isn't it!!!!
Also think its very wide the track and where ever you stand on the rostrum you can never quite see each part of the track especially when someone sticks there big head out!!!!
Si Coe
29-07-2013, 06:21 AM
There are other things to consider. I did like John's ramp before the tabletop - it worked really well but I also noticed that getting is sufficently wrong (think novice driver with powerful car - we've seen a few of those) could cause the car to fly out into the pits! It was also a marshaling hazard which is why we moved Alan off there.
Anyway I've been thinking about this and realised the problem isn't the track but what we do with it. The blank canvas approach means it can be different every week which is good, but also bad - where is the consistency, the improvement? The week 17 laps was good, next meeting it might only be 12 so how do you know you are driving better?
RC Timing has the ability to set up circuits. I propose we use some astro paint in different colours to mark up a few possible course options (Lets call them red, blue, yellow etc) We can choose a layout for the meeting and RC timing will let you compare your times against your best for Blue circuit.
sticky
29-07-2013, 07:05 AM
There are other things to consider. I did like John's ramp before the tabletop - it worked really well but I also noticed that getting is sufficently wrong (think novice driver with powerful car - we've seen a few of those) could cause the car to fly out into the pits! It was also a marshaling hazard which is why we moved Alan off there.
Anyway I've been thinking about this and realised the problem isn't the track but what we do with it. The blank canvas approach means it can be different every week which is good, but also bad - where is the consistency, the improvement? The week 17 laps was good, next meeting it might only be 12 so how do you know you are driving better?
RC Timing has the ability to set up circuits. I propose we use some astro paint in different colours to mark up a few possible course options (Lets call them red, blue, yellow etc) We can choose a layout for the meeting and RC timing will let you compare your times against your best for Blue circuit.
I like the idea of a choice of set circuits, an intelligent approach to such a space.
budfish
29-07-2013, 07:07 AM
The track nearly closed last time due to the fact the club roger and woody wouldn't listen to the drivers and their attitudes. Novices??? Who cares!! Novices don't stay novices very long. If you remember Si even woody didnt come and race at goshen for the the first 12months me,you and rob started.it was only when the numbers went up he started coming back.
It just wants the time and effort putting in which none of us can afford so pay someone to come and do it! As I reiterate this was the agreement at the 2011 AGM when we nearley doubled the race fee to do theses things.
Stop running winter meetings that don't make money at count hill for starters it's in Oldham.its a crap venue
As for the new track it's not even about attracting more numbers but keeping the ones we have got.
Yesterday's marshalling and the track quality was very poor. I raced batley last week and loved it ill be racing southport next week end. Bet you don't have to wait untill everyone's lapped you before a Marshall eventually responds to your 12th shout to turn you car over it just ruins your day
budfish
29-07-2013, 07:09 AM
I like the idea of a choice of set circuits, an intelligent approach to such a space.
This isn't London we don't need diffrent coloured lines everywhere that's why we have moveable hoses
budfish
29-07-2013, 07:18 AM
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Budfish1975/null_zps98ebe76d.png
Si Coe
29-07-2013, 07:37 AM
That picture actually shows some of my point though - our current track isn't 'flat' in terms of its track features, but it is in terms of pure geography. The old course had dips and banks but no more actual jumps.
budfish
29-07-2013, 07:41 AM
A dip is a jump but going down instead of up
sticky
29-07-2013, 07:52 AM
Marshalling/racing with large rear drops to the fences causes problems I feel. Better to have barrier follow the contours? Safer and quicker....?
Si Coe
29-07-2013, 07:56 AM
There are marshaling issues with cars ending up between the fence and tabletop for both tabletops - and the banked bend too. I'd rather fill in to the fence but we've been told we can't for some reason.....
Si Coe
29-07-2013, 07:57 AM
A dip is a jump but going down instead of up
But its not is it - doesn't work the same.
What I'm saying is we need landscaping not massive jumps.....
silverfox
29-07-2013, 08:06 AM
I have nowhere near the experience of most of you guys on here, I raced on the old track for a short while, left the scene for a good few years and then came back to the new track about 18 months ago. The best way of doing anything is to look at what other people are doing and copy the best bits, in business speak 'best practice'
So you guys that have seen all the other tracks around the country and raced for years, which is the best track and why? And can we copy the good bits?
I agree with Bud, a brick race control is a dream. I don't think it should be beyond us to find a welder and some corrugated sheet to roof the rostrum.
For what it's worth IMHO some surface and elevation changes would make for a more interesting track, I think we already have enough options for jumps.
I work in the roadworks industry so could certainly help with stuff like Tarmac, block paving etc
We need to reach consensus among the members and get on with it!
losichris
29-07-2013, 08:06 AM
God i miss the old track.
But i really do agree with buds here,
it needs changing for next year to maintain current members.
Yes we have jumps, but they are too aggressive and inconsistant.
Dont need to be mulit surface, look at Stofold/Broxtowe.
I saw jonny post astro for sale..did anyone respond to it?
Seems to me that this isnt going to happen because people dont want it to happen.
Ive raced at bury on and off since 94, and members are the highest ive seen them.
If you want to keep it that way for a good few years, changes to track need to be made IMO
budfish
29-07-2013, 08:34 AM
But its not is it - doesn't work the same.
What I'm saying is we need landscaping not massive jumps.....
I agree I shouldn't have said massive jumps but yes landscaping and contour changing you can get huge height off a 2 foot kicker somthing we don't have now
As for wooden jumps aren't the meant for indoors and non permanent grass tracks? Shouldn't be being put out on an astro track
Needs sorting lads
birdy
29-07-2013, 09:19 AM
Needs sorting in the correct channels.
If the members put a suggestion to the committee, then a comittiee meeting needs to be arranged to discuss.
fil9144
29-07-2013, 09:19 AM
Ever been to the astro track at robinhood Phil?
I do get your point ive seen it but never raced there but i agree the top of the old straight with the jump a then the paving was a good feature for sure it took bit skill even more so in wet ... Surely si we could look at making somthing on one the straights could have a flat back one and one with jump or 2 down it and maybe even bit block paving? Also roof for rostrum i know we're there is some free roof panels but they are astpestof there not damaged so arnt dangous if we handle it right
johnnygibbon
29-07-2013, 09:22 AM
A bit of Tarmac or paving would be good , maybe different astro , anything to give variation is surfac type
Sculpting and landscaping would give the track more character and a permanent well designed jump would add fun and some airtime even a proper berm that you can hammer round
It's not just bury members who want this
Go to other clubs talk to racers and pros alike we all agree bury needs changing
Some from other clubs may not comment much as they feel rude or its not there place but they say quietly " burys shit now it needs changing" they comment that it runs swell and is a friendly club though
Also the negative comments against def t track features are bullshit
That volcano will flood , what like yesterday
Kids will jump a proper jump on bikes
What like the kids racing at Batley that jumped the jumps during the finals break on scooters
Or at Kieghly were James lad was riding a quad over the awesome doubles
Lets build a track thinking of what could go right not wrong
And when it comes. To building lets get contractors to do it
I've got southport Astro guys number
We could ask James from rhr
And I'm sure there's others
Get some designs drawn up
Mine are still about somewhere
Get 3 grand or more out
And let's build a track that makes ya wanna come back year afte year
Rather than wanting to drive an hour away to get a challenging varied race day
Bury can be ace but its our track to modify and it needs it
bigred5765
29-07-2013, 09:39 AM
this is just my opinion but we raced at bury for years and Matty has done for the last 11, the old track was night and day better than the new one end of,
the new track lacks features that's the word you need to use jumps don't need to be big or hard to do as long as new racers can drive over them slowly while they learn and the better or top guys that have the skill levels can jump or ramp 2-3 together SAFELY and be challenged, people /racers will come back
the reason most of us don't come is the track is overly awkward to get around all your features are up against the fence were one mistake kills the car so cant be driven fast and safe or daft and safe, ramps/jumps features/bomb holes should be track central and safe for untalented and novices alike but challenging enough for the experts,take a look at Broxtowe, rhr, rhr dirt, epr,even southport small but challenging,you guys need help and big help and quick IMHO.
Si Coe
29-07-2013, 10:22 AM
If we are paying of course it needs doing properly.
However the track is the least of our problems. We need power to race control and perhaps a proper race controller who actually wants to be there and some members who'll turn out to maintain the track they have before we need to worry about becoming a Robin Hood clone.
budfish
29-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Si this is Not a dig at you or any other the committee members.
Power to race control is a must and shouldn't be hard to achieve
We have you,mark,gav,rob,Birdy,Darren as committee members we only run every 2 weeks so if you all did it in turn that's once every 3 months instead of it being left to one man.
But the track is a must ASAP
ryanlownie
29-07-2013, 11:42 AM
What's there now is good, and definitely a good starting point for any improvement.
The features in there are good, but only when they're run in a certain direction or way... When the track changes week in week out and a certain feature is run in a different direction it can go from a really nice and easy obstacle to something unpredictable...
I think if you look at the old track and Southports, you've got features that are run the same way every time and work well (in my opinion), but the track layout can be changed to use or miss out these features and that way you have dynamic layouts but the features are always the same each time.
Just my thoughts on it.
diago999
29-07-2013, 12:26 PM
So everyone wants a change but no one has actually thrown any solid ideas into the mix yet, ie where things could go what specific areas need to be changed etc,
is it worth getting a mock up of the track from above so you can throw your ideas into it, (with the current features already in there) - I would do this but at works computer cant upload anything. just a simple mockup on paint would suffice, then people can edit it each to their own, post it back up in the thread and try and get the best ideas together?
I understand what bigred is saying about jumps being car killers, for example the table tops, if you misjudge them you can be throwing your car into the fence, so is it worth thinking about some sort of netting or maybe even a permanent feature to stop/help reduce this?
and buds,
"Stop running winter meetings that don't make money at count hill for starters it's in Oldham.its a crap venue"
any ideas where else we could do it then? i quite liked the indoor racing over winter, throws abit of a mix into the yearly series,its a big enough hall its just a ball ache to set up a track there due to all the duct tape, but what other ways can you do it?
Si Coe
29-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Winter meetings make little if any profit unless they are very busy. But Counthill is a lot cheaper than most possible venues so consequently less people need to go to cover the costs.
The other option is no racing at all over winter - we tried outdoors and its too bloody cold!
johnnygibbon
29-07-2013, 01:29 PM
here are some sketchs i did in winter
weve been on about this for two years
{edit oople is being arsey and i cant upload pics}
but a fe people saw them during the winter rounds
i ill get em up soon
we need more action and pics or designs les talk and naysaying
i have also contacted a sk8park builder i know
he works for councils and all his guys have cscs cards
he built radcliffe sk8 park in concrete
walmsley sk8park
and many more 150000 pound plus parks around britain
uses a 10000 pound design package and i think hes the man for us
roger spoke to him in the past about track building to
he is a top contractor and can build anything we want
he says he will talk to our committee and he could start work in a few months
i ill be forwardeding his details to the other committee members
even if we do two features or modifications a year we are on course to a top race track in 2 or 3 years
the old track evovled with time this needs to as well
I've never been to the new track - not because I don't like things I hear, or even you bunch on clowns, but because I don't race away from York anymore. Here's my opinion anyway...
This was my favorite old skool track: Tiverton outdoors.
http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/tivertonf34520064wd/bigimages/tiv4wd021.jpg
http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/tivertonf3452006/bigimages/tiv2wd055.jpg
No big jumps, or obstacles, but massive height changes that the photo doesn't do justice to.
These are the key to all the great astro tracks in my opinion - look at RHR. From the bottom of the bombhole to the top of the tabletop is over 5 feet! And bombholes make excellent downramps (critical to not destroying a car).
http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/2012national-rhr/4wd/Untitled_Panorama1.jpg
So... If I remember from the pics correctly, what you have now is a dead flat track with some features built in?
Is there any reason why the astro can't be peeled back and "re-sculpted" under it?
If you need more astro James (at RHR) has dozens of rolls.
bigred5765
29-07-2013, 02:22 PM
power for race control is as simple as a genny that's all batley use and have done for years
losichris
29-07-2013, 02:46 PM
deleted
diago999
29-07-2013, 03:11 PM
bit harsh Chris,
but i do agree with some of your comments, the cross is very unpredictable, and the banked corner at the end of the straight is not a1,
but as Col has said why cant we just peel back the astro and re-sculpt those bits?
I also think that tabletops/ramps near fences is not a brilliant idea personally,
but that burr/banked corner at the end of the straight at rhr looks awesome, and as Col also said the bomb drop is pretty deep, you could probably get a midget in there without seeing him.
danDanEFC
29-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Resculpting the the cross in the middle and altering the quads(somehow) would be the top of my list.
losichris
29-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Agree its harsh.
But its also true, and as a member,
im putting my opinion across.
If we are not going to put what we really think,
then things will stay the same.
jhammond
29-07-2013, 04:05 PM
DELETED
budfish
29-07-2013, 04:10 PM
I think we all know what features need attention.
All of them...
Quads do not work.
Cross in middle is too agressive and unpredictable.
Step up step off is absolutely rubbish and looks like a 8 yr old sculpted it.
Banked corner on the right side end of straight is useless.
And the top left corner is too narrow and close to the fence.
Clubs are finding ways to build tracks from scratch.
We have the space for an amazing track.
Money is sitting around waiting to be spent.
BMRCC used to be a top level club, now its a basher club that doesnt care.
The track needs changing..lets do it!
Well said mate I agree with the lot
woOdy
29-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks for ALL the nice comments of the track I designed and built. Friends.:thumbsup:
budfish
29-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Thanks for ALL the nice comments of the track I designed and built. Friends.:thumbsup:
Come on stu don't play the martyr no ones having a go at you the track didnt exactly turn out as the design you did.
Pitman Ed
29-07-2013, 05:20 PM
You know what guys, you're very harsh on your club and its track. Many clubs wish they had something approaching it!
It gave you something to race on the last couple of years, and you can improve it relatively easily. But it was a start, and let's be thankful to the person(s) who made it possible. I helped to design and build the old track (and several before that at Sunny Bank) the resources we had then were unbelievable; it was a great track.
I've attended every National this year with Luke and Josh - some good tracks. But you know what - several people were moaning and criticising all of them! That's life.
Best thing to do, having listened, and thought about it:
* Lift sections of the Astro, and build say two table tops, and a large triple jump, with humps and troughs wide enough so you can opt to do 1+1+1, 1+2, or 2+1 safely or with risk, to suit driving style, track layout and car. Measure Broxtowe triple, and Stotfold table tops - they work really well. Don't reinvent the wheel - those features work. The dimensions are critical and there to be measured and reproduced.
* I personally think introducing different running surfaces adds interest and enjoyment. If funds stretch that far it's a good idea.
So thanks to those who made the current track possible. If we can improve it, great. But we couldn't if it wasn't there to star with!
Ed
Joshyjol
29-07-2013, 08:23 PM
I havent been racing long and Ive only raced at Bury so heres my fresh take on the track and club.
The guys there are really friendly and very welcoming and adds to the enjoyment of a race day and whilst the track is very user friendly and adaptable, with such great versatility in terms of layout, I do agree that a new feature or a re-model would be cool.
Props to the guys who design the track and set it out though, they do a great job with what they have got and I like the fact that I havent raced on the same track twice! Its adds the element of having to adapt your car and driving style to the different layouts whereas with a permanent track I guess you learn it, set your car up to it, and drive round it endlessly, which isnt all that appealing to me as the challenge of facing a new layout each time is exciting. So I think this works in favour of the club as surely I cant be the only one who likes the concept of evolving track designs!
As for keeping the same circuit so you know if you are getting faster, and how we are improving, maybe run a timed practice day every couple of months. With the same track layout every time so you actually do know if you are lapping at a faster rate than you previously were.
But back on topic I drew up alittle track map on publisher and put in what I thought would be cool on the track. Ive seen someone mention a 3-way table top infront of the rostrum and I like the idea too (its the feature in red on the little map) I think if it was linked to the dome in the middle it would also provide areas for off - camber corners and a little variety in the design of the track layout. But sticking to the idea of removable features so kids dont ruin them with the bikes etc. There are a couple of ideas in the bottom left and right corners of the picture, and maybe surfacing them and the wooden jumps with astro (dont know if it can be done) or leaving them blank would also mix things up alittle.
Just my thoughts anyway, but regardless of the track, I will still be racing there as personally, I don't find it 'crap' and always leave the rostrum with a smile on my race (even if I did rubbish!)
Cheers
Big Show
29-07-2013, 09:30 PM
I think a lot of the surgestions made are good one, but all these changes have to be put to the commity so decisions can be made. We do havbe spare astro in the jumps container at the back. I think surface changes could be a good idea and johny mention difrent astro. The garden center near me sell artificial grass for gardens With blades and not twill). They are selling of cuts at not bad prices (looks like rolls of carpet). I think that any changes to the track should be undertaken by a landscaper as trying to get club members to come down and help out with track maintenance is hard at the best of times, people have thier own things to do after work. Stu I think the track is not bad just now wants a bit of tweeking.
fil9144
29-07-2013, 10:50 PM
If we are paying of course it needs doing properly.
However the track is the least of our problems. We need power to race control and perhaps a proper race controller who actually wants to be there and some members who'll turn out to maintain the track they have before we need to worry about becoming a Robin Hood clone.
You missed the painting si loads that to do as well lol
fil9144
29-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Winter meetings make little if any profit unless they are very busy. But Counthill is a lot cheaper than most possible venues so consequently less people need to go to cover the costs.
The other option is no racing at all over winter - we tried outdoors and its too bloody cold!
Indoor si i do need speak to someone about that as before roger pasted i did tell him i know we're there is a very cheap mill in Radcliffe and i happen to know the owner pretty well also
Gavin Collingwood
30-07-2013, 01:31 AM
Here are my thoughts.
1. A roof is needed. But track should be priority.
2. Don't need multi surface, Broxtowe and stotfold are mint so that's what we need to look to and aim for.
3. We need to hire someone to do this as nobody will actually put the time in to do this and we also don't reallyhave the expertise. so we need a track builder to help us hopefully we can find one on oople.
4. I agree totally with you buds. This should be a big priority over winter.
5. Table tops like broxtowe rather than "jumps" is what we want, just jumping off a ramp to flat is crap. Whereas trying to judge a jump bank to bank is way more fun.
6. Level changes is what we need the most and redesigning of current features. As they're not great, and like you said bud. Stu even you'll admit they weren't as you designed because of the council so lets make them how they were supposed to be. I think Cross is too 'stop, start, stop, start' and there's no flow. If it could be made a little less harsh that would be good.
Gavin Collingwood
30-07-2013, 01:42 AM
here are some sketchs i did in winter
weve been on about this for two years
{edit oople is being arsey and i cant upload pics}
but a fe people saw them during the winter rounds
i ill get em up soon
we need more action and pics or designs les talk and naysaying
i have also contacted a sk8park builder i know
he works for councils and all his guys have cscs cards
he built radcliffe sk8 park in concrete
walmsley sk8park
and many more 150000 pound plus parks around britain
uses a 10000 pound design package and i think hes the man for us
roger spoke to him in the past about track building to
he is a top contractor and can build anything we want
he says he will talk to our committee and he could start work in a few months
i ill be forwardeding his details to the other committee members
even if we do two features or modifications a year we are on course to a top race track in 2 or 3 years
the old track evovled with time this needs to as well
Very interesting.....
Gavin Collingwood
30-07-2013, 01:47 AM
It's a great starting point we just need someone with the balls and the cheque book to say yes. Trust me it would pay dividends look at what the gymnasts got holly mollie what if the built them a gym with no changing rooms or no bleeding ropes hanging from the ceiling would they have excepted that? You should of seen the fools the council sent to build it they hadn't a clue.
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Budfish1975/f26986a5.jpg
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Budfish1975/null_zps6f746e4c.jpg
Me and rob mills on one of the many jumps we used to have
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Budfish1975/acd176b7.jpg
The wood on the block paved hair pin on top of one of our high speeds jumps at the end of the straight
Sorry woody.... Cannot let you get away with that picture..!!!! Haha nice boufon!!
Howler
30-07-2013, 01:51 AM
If you ask me, first thing we should be doing is peeling up some of the astro on one of the current features and have a go at fixing it to work as Stu intended. That will give everyone a good idea of the work involved.
I would suggest the step-up ramp to the tabletop as the best candidate, as it can be out of commission for a meeting or two without causing much of an issue. Either make it higher, or move it further back so landing is easier without having to hit it so hard you risk going into the fence.
Si Coe
30-07-2013, 09:01 AM
I want the race control cabin moving back about 3 ft so people can see the track corners better. Anyone got a massive forklift?
Phil - AFAIK we haven't actually booked indoors yet so find some details out. Radcliffe would be better than Oldham for most people - especially the top of Counthill which is inaccessible in the snow. We just need storage space, a big hall and power really.
fil9144
30-07-2013, 10:05 AM
If you ask me, first thing we should be doing is peeling up some of the astro on one of the current features and have a go at fixing it to work as Stu intended. That will give everyone a good idea of the work involved.
I would suggest the step-up ramp to the tabletop as the best candidate, as it can be out of commission for a meeting or two without causing much of an issue. Either make it higher, or move it further back so landing is easier without having to hit it so hard you risk going into the fence.
to be honest that's ment to have been done ages ago but like you said be good starting point people don't realise what a large job it will be and be good to see how many people turn up to do it
fil9144
30-07-2013, 10:07 AM
I want the race control cabin moving back about 3 ft so people can see the track corners better. Anyone got a massive forklift?
Phil - AFAIK we haven't actually booked indoors yet so find some details out. Radcliffe would be better than Oldham for most people - especially the top of Counthill which is inaccessible in the snow. We just need storage space, a big hall and power really.
its a hiab job really which I can dig the number out for someone and I start looking into indoor venue again and get back to you si
budfish
30-07-2013, 10:47 AM
I want the race control cabin moving back about 3 ft so people can see the track corners better. Anyone got a massive forklift?
Phil - AFAIK we haven't actually booked indoors yet so find some details out. Radcliffe would be better than Oldham for most people - especially the top of Counthill which is inaccessible in the snow. We just need storage space, a big hall and power really.
Can't we get that place near Bolton hospital again? We didn't have it last time because cricketers had booked it??? Fast surface:thumbsup:
Si Coe
30-07-2013, 10:49 AM
No contact details...
budfish
30-07-2013, 11:32 AM
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Budfish1975/null_zps8286c599.jpg
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Budfish1975/null_zps6b3ebfb8.jpg
Howler
30-07-2013, 12:25 PM
to be honest that's ment to have been done ages ago but like you said be good starting point people don't realise what a large job it will be and be good to see how many people turn up to do it
Exactly, i helped build the jump on the back straight on the old track originally, and it took a lot of manpower to move the astro more than anything else. Also, nobody really knows what they've used under there.
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Budfish1975/null_zps8286c599.jpg
Table top looks good (nice steady downramp) but the bowl is a certain disaster. If you're anything other than exactly in the centre you'll be thrown everywhere. Or am I misunderstanding and you have that already?
Chrislong
30-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Most clubs start off with a grass track which develops, and then as it wears astro is added until it is all astro. Whereas in comparison Bury has started off with a blank canvass and have skipped the first step, so have an astro covered blank canvass with some thrown in features.
Therefore I suggest: why not go back to step one? Build a grass track, its more easily sculptable and will develop given time/enthusiasm of workers, then add astro (save what you have) when the time is right.
Only downside, grass is a PITA to grow where you want it and be strong to race on, whereas the f**ker grows everywhere when you don't want it.. :woot: so perhaps alternative without being astro - dirt?
Im probably way off the mark.:blush:
budfish
30-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Johnnys designs the volcano would have a flat top with a 4 degree single pitch
birdy
30-07-2013, 03:29 PM
A committee meeting is to be held later this week to discuss all that is in this thread and the email suggestions we have received.
A schedule off all items will be drawn together by myself and discussed.
budfish
30-07-2013, 09:05 PM
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Budfish1975/null_zpsbbf23278.jpg
Explain yourself David...
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o276/thegreatonereturns/oOple/buds_zpsc014ee5b.png (http://s122.photobucket.com/user/thegreatonereturns/media/oOple/buds_zpsc014ee5b.png.html)
rallymaddaz
30-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Loving the grass idea - having been privileged enough to have tried out many of Burys different tracks over the years, I must say that the current track although all one surface is infinitely better than the last purpose built one- yes a few changes could be made here and there but essentially you have a first class facility. From a personal perspective I would love to see more grass tracks - perhaps re- profile the table top that's in the wrong place and cover in grass and add some other areas of grass which can easily be skipped out in bad weather etc. With very little funds you could make the track better than anyone else's not trying to copy them - be your own club ( bury was certainly always that ). I look forward to a return to real outdoor racing as opposed to outdoor carpet racing with added lumps bumps and jumps.
Bury is my local club and I would love to go outdoor racing again but three things are preventing me from doing this
1 - racing is timed poorly and takes up a full day when half a day is all that's required ( the rest of the day can then be family time)
2 - why on earth would I want to race on carpet outdoors ( yes I mean astro turf)?
3 - most persons that take part in our hobby are also Motorsport fans and you seem to have a knack of clashing with the f1 which, with me now having to pay for the privilege to watch I certainly am not going to miss it
If you have the funds my suggested priority is addressing the lack of shelter on the rostrum.
I'm not currently a member but I am happy to help set up if you go down the grass route
Darren.
Dudders
30-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Jesus Christ ^^^ this guys is hard to please!
Astro here to stay, deal with it.
Can't do a full day? Deal with it.
Clashes with F1? Stay home and watch it.
Ps, sell up :D
budfish
30-07-2013, 09:52 PM
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Budfish1975/null_zps6c181f19.jpg
budfish
30-07-2013, 09:53 PM
:woot:I know what you mean there will be no grass what so ever!!!!!!Jesus Christ ^^^ this guys is hard to please!
Astro here to stay, deal with it.
Can't do a full day? Deal with it.
Clashes with F1? Stay home and watch it.
Ps, sell up :D
johnnygibbon
30-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Jesus Christ ^^^ this guys is hard to please!
Astro here to stay, deal with it.
Can't do a full day? Deal with it.
Clashes with F1? Stay home and watch it.
Ps, sell up :D
Hahaha gotta agree there dude
And col that's Si messing with his Rc 10 in the cabin
I thought it was a good likeness
Hahaha
And col that's Si messing with his Rc 10 in the cabin
I thought it was a good likeness
Hahaha
Of course! How did I miss that? :p
ryanlownie
31-07-2013, 08:07 AM
Here we go guys, the masterpiece!
http://stwww.dirtrider.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/15/files/72262831204501/37015440.jpg
I am joking of course!
Si Coe
31-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Erm, is that a water jump?
Won't we need mountaineering gear for that tabletop?
Hows that going to fit in our space?
Very pretty but a little impractical. Though slightly less so than John original fire pit and cheerleaders design......
spennyy2k
31-07-2013, 08:39 AM
any chance of sharks or phiranahs in the water jump to keep marshalls on their toes?
spennyy2k
31-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Bury is my local club and I would love to go outdoor racing again but three things are preventing me from doing this
1 - racing is timed poorly and takes up a full day when half a day is all that's required ( the rest of the day can then be family time)
2 - why on earth would I want to race on carpet outdoors ( yes I mean astro turf)?
3 - most persons that take part in our hobby are also Motorsport fans and you seem to have a knack of clashing with the f1 which, with me now having to pay for the privilege to watch I certainly am not going to miss it
If you have the funds my suggested priority is addressing the lack of shelter on the rostrum.
I'm not currently a member but I am happy to help set up if you go down the grass route
Darren.
as far as i remember racing has always been a full day, there is no way your going to get it all done in half a day. grass tracks are long gone, you need too much room as the grass wont last 5 minutes with the cars now and you would have to avoid the worn areas, maybe you would get away with small areas like straights but thats it really. As far as F1 goes its getting duller each year so watch moto gp instead or record it.
personally i prefered the old track but s*&t happens, i think what we have now and those involed have done a good gob in keeping the club going when so many others have shut over the years so thumbs up to them. there are definate areas that can be improved as there always is with everything but you are never going to make everyone happy
birdy
31-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Ryan well volunteered for doing the 3D track design, now we know you are good at that :woot:
Serious note, can you do the track as it is now?
Big Show
31-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Jesus Christ ^^^ this guys is hard to please!
Astro here to stay, deal with it.
Can't do a full day? Deal with it.
Clashes with F1? Stay home and watch it.
Ps, sell up :D
not bad replies apart from the p.s ( a bit mutch)
budfish
31-07-2013, 09:18 PM
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Budfish1975/null_zps43f82e58.jpg
losichris
31-07-2013, 09:43 PM
yes buds, you thinking turn the quad into a double? that would be better
johnnygibbon
31-07-2013, 10:17 PM
they would work as doubles i just drew them like that to show variation .
i like the qauds but think they would work better if they were a bit bgger by about 50 percent it would give more take off and landing space and allow you to flow through better
but two big doubles would be fun to so i drew them in as an option
the layout in that drawing is just to show some ideas i had all on one page , the space beetween them would be larger to
but bigger reprofiled features with some modifications would change the track a lot
sorry its not computer drawing but i think the sketchs show some ideas and give an idea of size
spennyy2k
31-07-2013, 10:27 PM
personally i think it woukd be better with perminant islands like the old track had, would work better i think if changes in height are going to be added
budfish
31-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Yes definatley needing some white and red kurbs islands chevron type of thingy is a must
spennyy2k
31-07-2013, 10:43 PM
I've drawn a bit of something up, very rough and bit of a guess as I don't know the size of the track. I'll try to tidy it a bit tomorrow and post it
Gavin Collingwood
31-07-2013, 11:56 PM
A committee meeting is to be held later this week to discuss all that is in this thread and the email suggestions we have received.
A schedule off all items will be drawn together by myself and discussed.
Can we wait for me to get back please? I'll be back a week on Sunday
Gavin Collingwood
01-08-2013, 12:00 AM
Loving the grass idea - having been privileged enough to have tried out many of Burys different tracks over the years, I must say that the current track although all one surface is infinitely better than the last purpose built one- yes a few changes could be made here and there but essentially you have a first class facility. From a personal perspective I would love to see more grass tracks - perhaps re- profile the table top that's in the wrong place and cover in grass and add some other areas of grass which can easily be skipped out in bad weather etc. With very little funds you could make the track better than anyone else's not trying to copy them - be your own club ( bury was certainly always that ). I look forward to a return to real outdoor racing as opposed to outdoor carpet racing with added lumps bumps and jumps.
Bury is my local club and I would love to go outdoor racing again but three things are preventing me from doing this
1 - racing is timed poorly and takes up a full day when half a day is all that's required ( the rest of the day can then be family time)
2 - why on earth would I want to race on carpet outdoors ( yes I mean astro turf)?
3 - most persons that take part in our hobby are also Motorsport fans and you seem to have a knack of clashing with the f1 which, with me now having to pay for the privilege to watch I certainly am not going to miss it
If you have the funds my suggested priority is addressing the lack of shelter on the rostrum.
I'm not currently a member but I am happy to help set up if you go down the grass route
Darren.
Are you from the 80's??......
Grass tracks died for a very good reason
1. They rut up very badly especially in sunny old bury where we get a lot of rain,
2. The cars get absolutely covered in shit if it rains. Now I don't know about you but I prefer not to fully rebuild my car every week
Darren Wales
01-08-2013, 12:27 AM
Can we wait for me to get back please? I'll be back a week on Sunday
Gavin, don't fret about us on your bloody honeymoon pal :wub
The committee need to meet soonest to discuss what our members are clearly voicing on here. The rest of the committee are free this Friday so are getting on with it. I do know your thoughts, but by all means send me a PM with your points of view and I will relay them at the meeting.
All, there are some very positive points of view on here, even some pictures too. Rest assured we as a club are keen to continue to grow and as a committee we are all pretty much in agreement that the track, rostrum etc needs some further enhancements. We have the car park, I know we still need electricity, although we have survived with the genny.
I am still very much looking to get a purpose built rostrum, so any work here will need to be none too costly and temporary, The track is a priority, although again moving the rostrum back, subject to cost, is absolutely essential as its currently too close to the track.
Anyway, keep your ideas coming we will let you know our plans after the committee meeting on Friday.
Darren
Gavin Collingwood
01-08-2013, 01:45 AM
I'm not fretting I just want to be involved. Free wifi in the hotel innit pal, that combined with an iPhone is dangerous. Ok I'll leave it on your very capable hands boys i'll see you in the coming couple of weeks
Gavin Collingwood
01-08-2013, 01:48 AM
I'm not fretting I just want to be involved. Free wifi in the hotel innit pal, that combined with an iPhone is dangerous. Ok I'll leave it in your very capable hands boys i'll see you in the coming couple of weeks
budfish
01-08-2013, 07:46 AM
Forget the purpose built rostrum or moving the cabins this isn't keeping up with the jones's. no need for a roof on the rostrum if its to wet to race on then its to wet to stand up there anyway.
At the moment there's not much intrest by the local scumbags you put a roof on that rostrum and we will be turning up to race Sunday morning and having to evict the chavs out of the little party shelter you have built for them.
A rc club is all about the track. When we raced the Oople event last year we didnt come away and say "race control looked very nice" we came away and talked about the doubles and the hairpin its all about the track nothing else matters.
Any improvements you intend for race control will be discussed by the committee and put to the members at the agm. Don't waste time on this because I promise it's not what the members want.
If I started a thread "new race control" do you think it would have been any where near as popular as this one?
No !!!!!
Loiismustdie
01-08-2013, 08:01 AM
I agree the rostrum does need moving back about 1 metre for better visibility though.
budfish
01-08-2013, 08:07 AM
The visability I agree is a issue not a priority it can be resolved by not running the track into the corners hey presto everyone can see. No point spending to move it if we are having a new one in a few years after the track is finished.:thumbsup:
Darren Wales
01-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Buds, you may have only read only some of my comments and not all!
I agree the track is what we all race on after all. I just see improvement opportunities alsewhere too! ;) to be clear any new rostrum would have a contained and locked covered rostrum to keep out the locals. :thumbsup:
Rest assured we as a club are keen to continue to grow and as a committee we are all pretty much in agreement that the track, rostrum etc needs some further enhancements........
I am still very much looking to get a purpose built rostrum, so any work here will need to be none too costly and temporary, The track is a priority.....
Anyway, keep your ideas coming we will let you know our plans after the committee meeting on Friday.
Darren[/QUOTE]
budfish
01-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Do it proper and we only have to do it the once:thumbsup:
johnnygibbon
01-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Darren I have put a suggestion in to Si about a way to raise visibility and stop the banging roof and not have to move the cabin
He liked it a lot and its a simpler solution as
I will sketch it up
But pleases listen to the racers we all want a better track before a cabin or shelter
I do agree a new clubhouse/ rostron would be ace ,
But only when we got a track that deserves a palace being built next to it
Bmrcc needs more racers and a more challenging track
With that it will produce funds to do whatever we need
I will try to make it Friday to guys if work allows
budfish
01-08-2013, 09:56 AM
poll added please vote people
so we have a rough idea of what wants doing and by how many
Si Coe
01-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Thats silly.
Ask people what they want and they'll always say the track, because thats tangible. But it doesn't mean other things don't matter, its just that are more subtle.
Lets take race control / rostrum for an example. Now Rog was partially deaf which is probably the only reason he could cope in there - it sounds like having your head in a bucket whilst someone hits it with a hammer. There have been a couple of meetings where I've not been feeling 100% I've seriously thought about pack in early cos it gives me a banging headache. Eric complained about the same at the regional.
Now most drivers probably don't care about reducing the noise in race control so if asked where to spend money would never suggest that but they might be slightly upset to find that they have a lovely new track but nobody to run race meetings.......
Oh, and on a related subject: It occurred to me the club doesn't have as much money as we think. Because we (for sensible reasons like incompatibility with a lot of members transponders) did not upgrade our timing box to RC4 it is no longer supported by BBK. If it fails (unlikely but still possible) we would need to pay for a new RC4 unit at £1200 or more so we need at least that set aside or no timing.
birdy
01-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Can we wait for me to get back please? I'll be back a week on Sunday
Sorry Gav, we need to get started on this, it wont happen in one meeting and will take a number of different discussions.
losichris
01-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Thats silly.
Ask people what they want and they'll always say the track, because thats tangible. But it doesn't mean other things don't matter, its just that are more subtle.
Lets take race control / rostrum for an example. Now Rog was partially deaf which is probably the only reason he could cope in there - it sounds like having your head in a bucket whilst someone hits it with a hammer. There have been a couple of meetings where I've not been feeling 100% I've seriously thought about pack in early cos it gives me a banging headache. Eric complained about the same at the regional.
Now most drivers probably don't care about reducing the noise in race control so if asked where to spend money would never suggest that but they might be slightly upset to find that they have a lovely new track but nobody to run race meetings.......
Oh, and on a related subject: It occurred to me the club doesn't have as much money as we think. Because we (for sensible reasons like incompatibility with a lot of members transponders) did not upgrade our timing box to RC4 it is no longer supported by BBK. If it fails (unlikely but still possible) we would need to pay for a new RC4 unit at £1200 or more so we need at least that set aside or no timing.
Seeing as were running off a genny, why not do race control outside.
If it looks like rain, small gazebo?
Gavin Collingwood
01-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Buds it would be good also to move the rostrum back a few metres too, not so much for the corners but also when the car it directly infront of you like on this table top we're proposing you can't see past your transmitter
birdy
01-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Seeing as were running off a genny, why not do race control outside.
If it looks like rain, small gazebo?
Not going to happen, thats taking two steps back not forward.
A few of us have ideas for the top of the rostrum.
budfish
01-08-2013, 05:04 PM
I'm sure you'll get it sorted it seems like we are singing off the same hymn sheet
ryanlownie
01-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Sorry but without reading too much into it, a roofed rostrum will surely attract more of the kids off the estate and turn it into more of a "dos house" or place to trash?
1. Do it and risk it..
2. Go the extent of making it more secure (e.g. a gate, door) (more expense)...
budfish
01-08-2013, 05:39 PM
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Budfish1975/null_zpsd27ec011.jpg
JonyNitro
01-08-2013, 05:43 PM
What the hell is that in his hand, gay boy
losichris
01-08-2013, 05:46 PM
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Budfish1975/null_zpsd27ec011.jpg
Can you edit that and do a comedy drawing of Si
budfish
01-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Non of the drawings have been done by me all johnnys work but he says he can't upload pics
Gavin Collingwood
02-08-2013, 12:20 AM
Sorry but without reading too much into it, a roofed rostrum will surely attract more of the kids off the estate and turn it into more of a "dos house" or place to trash?
1. Do it and risk it..
2. Go the extent of making it more secure (e.g. a gate, door) (more expense)...
Why can't we build a rostrum roof with a locked door at the top to enter it? Surely it wouldn't be do hard to do?
Gavin Collingwood
02-08-2013, 12:25 AM
And why is a two tier ROSTRUM necessary bud? A roof is more needed. So what if we need to shift a few bottles and cans? I'd take that over getting blown all over and piss wet through anyday! They're just kids after all. Nothing to worry about. They play on the track.... So what what harm do they actually do? If rather be sheltered if I'm honest
budfish
02-08-2013, 03:13 AM
I'm not into the 2 tier rostrum johnnys drawing. A roof will have to be made of metal and would cost a fortune. You do know that skin is water proof?
sticky
02-08-2013, 07:21 AM
Poll is biased to leading questions, e.g. doesn't allow several choices....
budfish
02-08-2013, 07:42 AM
Biased?? So is a general election biased because you can only pick one
Si Coe
02-08-2013, 08:15 AM
Leading and closed questions do not promote discussion - sorry teacher mode there.
The problem we had with the roof at the old track was that it meant the rostrum was being used as a drinking den and they then flung the bottles off. That meant we frequently arrived to broken glass on the track and around it. In all other aspects it wasn't really an issue - they used to graffiti the rostrum sides but so what? Occasionally they'd try to knock out the side panels and there would be a bit of litter but again of no consequence. Smashed bottles however are dangerous.....
johnnygibbon
02-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Why is it always about the kids who may or may not cause damage or whatever that's why we don't have a jump on track now
Can we not just build what we want and worry about it after
It seems that vandals/ kids are more important than actually having decent facilities eg track and rostron modifications
Like I said why So much naysaying and worrying
We want better track and facilities we are an Rc club after all
And if any one don't like the drawings then upload your own suggestions they are welcome to give us all an idea pf what to do instead of talking , bury needs some positive actions
And less bullshit and worry about what could happen in the worst case
Things have been ok generally for the last few years
Lets hope it lasts
And if multiple options were available in the poll then it would not give a clear indication of what people really want
In reality it's gonna be a long process altering both the track and race controll / rostron so the poll allows one choice to see what's really wanted first
And I think meshing the top of the rostron to stop the dancing elephants is a quick cheap fix that could be done soon and solve one problem immediately so at least Si or whoever a in there don't go deaf
C'mon guys stay positive upload ya drawings
A picture speaks a thousand words
MikePimlott
02-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Put a roof on the rostrum and have the stairs inside the cabin, with a hatch on the roof maybe ?
Move the rostrum back, this is a good idea its too close and you cant see the corners becuase of transmitters. And i hate when you have to look straight down When your car comes that close.
The problem with bury (my opinion) is you have 6 obstacles and no features. Joinig each obstacle is a flat piece of astro, i agree with buds some surface changes would be good but more undulations would be better.
budfish
02-08-2013, 10:29 AM
I just don't see the point of moving race control it was a big enough job just getting the stairs up.
Why move it back 3 feet when we could just not use the first 3 feet of track put a long hose from top to bottom this will also be usefull for marshalling.
As for the table top in the top corner I just turn that into a massive banked corner which should be easy enough to do with it being in the corner
Si Coe
02-08-2013, 10:57 AM
So in your quest to improve the track you are willing to give up 3ft along the entire length of the track? Not 'best use of space' is it?
That said my idea won't work. If we moved the rostrum back, the (public) path behind race control would need to be in front instead, and that means there would still need to be a fence there. So the improved view of the track is through the fence which isn't great either.
And this is the point of what I'm doing here. Its not naysaying or negativity - its called thinking stuff through. Simple plain reality is that there are NO perfect solutions, we can't please everybody and every plan has its downsides. What needs to be done it to consider the various pro's and con's and decide what is in the best interests of the club. Which I might point out isn't always the same as the interests of a few loud mouthed forum users :p
Loiismustdie
02-08-2013, 11:27 AM
I say we move the track 3 feet away from the rostrum then. ;)
Chris Elworthy
02-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Alright lads?
There seems to have been a lot of comments regarding the local chavs when talking about putting a roof on the rostrum which seems to be getting massively out of hand. If we put a locked gate at the top of the steps onto the rostrum under the roof it would take some particularly determined, Spider Man-like kids to get up there especially carrying a bag of bootleg blue WKD's! Surely this is by far the best and most cost effective way to achieve what we want?
Johnny, sorry mate but what on earth do we need a two tier rostrum for? This will neither keep us dry nor move the rostrum back. As a short term solution all we need to do is mark a line around half a metre back from the railings on the rostrum as they do at other clubs and your vantage point will be slightly improved, personally I haven't really noticed a problem with the current position, yes it could be better but it's not a priority.
As for the track, reprofiling what we have now and introducing undulations and level changes and possibly a few surface changes, even if its just lower bite astro would be a start we don't need to reinvent the wheel IMO. With all due respect to the designers and builders of which I will be lending a hand I don't want us to do too much too soon and possibly end up with a bit of a mess.
Must my opinion
Chris
losichris
02-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Alright lads?
There seems to have been a lot of comments regarding the local chavs when talking about putting a roof on the rostrum which seems to be getting massively out of hand. If we put a locked gate at the top of the steps onto the rostrum under the roof it would take some particularly determined, Spider Man-like kids to get up there especially carrying a bag of bootleg blue WKD's! Surely this is by far the best and most cost effective way to achieve what we want?
Johnny, sorry mate but what on earth do we need a two tier rostrum for? This will neither keep us dry nor move the rostrum back. As a short term solution all we need to do is mark a line around half a metre back from the railings on the rostrum as they do at other clubs and your vantage point will be slightly improved, personally I haven't really noticed a problem with the current position, yes it could be better but it's not a priority.
As for the track, reprofiling what we have now and introducing undulations and level changes and possibly a few surface changes, even if its just lower bite astro would be a start we don't need to reinvent the wheel IMO. With all due respect to the designers and builders of which I will be lending a hand I don't want us to do too much too soon and possibly end up with a bit of a mess.
Must my opinion
Chris
This makes sense.
Re profile to current features and go from there.
Some cheap astro and a bit of dirt for surface change and there we have it.
Critch
02-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Any way you could have a removable roof in sections
Some how slotting into the back of the rostrum ?
Chris Elworthy
02-08-2013, 06:32 PM
Critch I think that is a genuinely fantastic idea! If we could design a structure for above the rostrum with cross beams and specially designed pieces that slot into the beams as the roof which can be erected if required, I mean there is no need to put it up if its cracking flags so it would only be like building the big tabletop at the start of the meeting.
This obviously would take a lot more designing and fitting but would solve the issue of the kids using it as a nightclub and would allow us members to still be able to go for a test on the track using the rostrum on non race days...I know we shouldn't but come on who doesn't once in a while, we are members after all.
Chris
budfish
02-08-2013, 06:56 PM
James wilkinson and roger have already toyed with the idea and I spoke to James last week about it he reckons it would be easy to do
Si Coe
02-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Having thought about this the rostrum doesn't need a roof it needs sides. Its the wind that is the issue. If there are drivers on the rostrum, there are marshals on the track and they don't get a roof. But the wind is bloody cold up there and a roof won't stop that.
Aire valley
02-08-2013, 09:56 PM
I'm not a member of Bury, but very interesting discussion , if a bit paranoid.!
Back in the day, we had lots of vandalism but never with the roof which was a simple wood frame with corrugated fibre board roofing sheets...worked well
To keep wind rain out we had tarpaulin sheets which could be hooked onto the frame..simple and effective...and cheap.
Gavin Collingwood
03-08-2013, 06:40 AM
I think all this 'roof would attract kids lark' is crap. We're severely cutting our noses off to spite our faces. Just build the damn roof
sticky
03-08-2013, 06:49 AM
Improve top of rostrum.
Move rostrum back.
Remodel track.
Simples.....
budfish
03-08-2013, 08:57 AM
The powers that be have had their meeting and I'm sure one of them will be on during the day to let you all know the aims of the club and track and immediate work that's going to follow
birdy
03-08-2013, 10:22 AM
I will post a full update later, but all you need to know right now is we are having a major redevelop of the track.
It's not going to happen overnight, work will start in October for completion by March.:thumbsup:
MikePimlott
03-08-2013, 11:30 AM
I will post a full update later, but all you need to know right now is we are having a major redevelop of the track.
It's not going to happen overnight, work will start in October for completion by March.:thumbsup:
:thumbsup: Nice one mate, onwards and upwards
Chrislong
05-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Just an idea on roof.
How about using smoking shelter/bus stop type erections. So the actual roof only covers the driver and protects him from wind from the back too. Save you guys a bit of money perhaps?
johnnygibbon
08-08-2013, 07:17 AM
Any updates guys ?
Si Coe
08-08-2013, 09:21 AM
I believe Darren is meeting someone to discuss matters at this very moment.
budfish
08-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Well come on enlighten us?????best be good or ill be stageing a coo/hostile revolt
Si Coe
08-08-2013, 07:38 PM
I don't know anything. You'll have to ask Darren.
PS I'd love to see you stage a coup. I bet that would go so well :p
budfish
08-08-2013, 07:41 PM
I don't know anything. You'll have to ask Darren.
PS I'd love to see you stage a coup. I bet that would go so well :p
Don't start four eyes ring Darren get the info and post it
Darren Wales
08-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Don't start four eyes ring Darren get the info and post it
Unfortunately Si has misread my message that my meeting with the skate park designer (whom Johnny passed to me) was today, when in fact we can't meet til next Thursday.
All.
The committee meeting on Friday, called because you our club members clearly have ideas on improving the club, was and did discuss all options available.
Neil has said he will post things in more detail but the key ones agree were;
1. The track is in need of a complete redesign.
To this end, we are seeking ideas and quotes from persons that can do the necessary to lift the astro and rescape the land there under. Many have ideas on what we should have and where. Rest assured, our intention is utilise the experience of RC racers to design the specifics, but essentially we will look to spend on the labour.
2. When - The plan is start work as soon as we stop outdoor and move indoor.
3. Rostrum - I wish to make this bit fairly clear. It has always been my, long term intention, for the club to have a purpose built, covered, secure rostrum. The current make up of the Goshem site, in terms of all clubs, has changed significantly over the last 6 months, which has resulted in more smaller clubs being formed from the once large football club. This means we now have multiple clubs, aside of the gymnastics, wanting a new purpose built facility. The aim is to have one new build, likely to replace the old Goshem house, for all to benefit from. Site of which to be confirmed. I dont expect this to be where our current cabins are, but as and when this happens, our rostrum will be done also.
So to save wasting money on the rostrum, we shall not be having a roof built. We will however, be looking to make the flooring more sturdy.
We won't please everyone, but we are moving forwards for the benefit of the current members and to help us attract the new and old ones back many more times.
Thank you all for your continued support.
Darren
Chairman BMRCC
sticky
08-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Glad to see and hear the club is evolving. Strong willingness with good leadership will help you to continue moving forward. I look forward to becoming a regular at the club, and am happy that it's well supported at all levels.
budfish
08-08-2013, 10:05 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
johnnygibbon
08-08-2013, 10:21 PM
sounds brilliant
positive things happening for bmrcc
Darren Wales
14-08-2013, 09:19 PM
Unfortunately Si has misread my message that my meeting with the skate park designer (whom Johnny passed to me) was today, when in fact we can't meet til next Thursday.
Just a note, this meeting has been rescheduled for Sunday at 1pm.
I will update on the outcome
Darren
johnnygibbon
16-08-2013, 08:21 AM
Nice one Darren he's a clever guy and I think can help us
On a slightly different note , the wooden jumps from croston, I was looking at them closely last meeting , they are well built but I think the transition / profile on a couple would benefit from being changed . With a little more curve I think the cars would fly much better and smoother
I am willing to strip then recut them and rebuild them into a better shape if the committee and club members want me to
Only a suggestion
And if people are happy with them already then that's fine
But if not if a key holder can let me pick a couple up I will get on with it so they are ready for he next meeting
Just an idea
If you l
Gavin Collingwood
16-08-2013, 09:53 AM
That's fine with me, the blue ones are rubbish change them, the green table top one could do with the landing ramp being flattened and lengthening so we don't have to put flexi wood on the landing
Darren Wales
16-08-2013, 05:46 PM
Johnny I will be there Sunday at 1pm,
A few members have mentioned this before and I personally have no objection to some minor adjustments.
I will have a key so feel free to collect a couple for tweaking.
Darren
Nice one Darren he's a clever guy and I think can help us
On a slightly different note , the wooden jumps from croston, I was looking at them closely last meeting , they are well built but I think the transition / profile on a couple would benefit from being changed . With a little more curve I think the cars would fly much better and smoother
I am willing to strip then recut them and rebuild them into a better shape if the committee and club members want me to
Only a suggestion
And if people are happy with them already then that's fine
But if not if a key holder can let me pick a couple up I will get on with it so they are ready for he next meeting
Just an idea
If you l
Darren Wales
18-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Ok, meeting at the track with Dave the skatepark builder was very useful.
Rob had already produced a design idea, that will be a base for Dave to use and create a computer generated 3D model, we will also be getting an idea of how much materials and labour costs too! I'm hoping this will be completed by end of this week. As soon as I get it, I will be sending to committee first for their views and then will post on here.
Onwards and upwards
Darren
sticky
18-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Ok, meeting at the track with Dave the skatepark builder was very useful.
Rob had already produced a design idea, that will be a base for Dave to use and create a computer generated 3D model, we will also be getting an idea of how much materials and labour costs too! I'm hoping this will be completed by end of this week. As soon as I get it, I will be sending to committee first for their views and then will post on here.
Onwards and upwards
Darren
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
johnnygibbon
03-09-2013, 07:54 AM
Just a heads up
Pendle nitro club is astroing its track
Pics are up in the Facebook page
Pdmcc
Have a look at what's involved and what we need to be planning for
Also could we race tenth on this track ?
Regional maybe ?
Any excuse for more local racing works for me
budfish
10-09-2013, 10:53 PM
What's going on?
Gavin Collingwood
11-09-2013, 06:42 AM
Wheels are turning buds don't worry we got another meeting soon
Darren Wales
24-09-2013, 09:29 PM
What's going on?
All, we are currently awaiting the revised plans for the proposed new track to be drawn by the skatepark designer Dave Carve.
The committee have come up with a proposed design and once this scaled plan is done, I will ensure it is placed on here for your thoughts and feedback.
With so many ideas, we as a committee have made decisions to get us to this stage, but that does not mean your views are not valued and we will be keen to have an open meeting to iron out any issues before we go ahead. This will likely be at the AGM which is due in November.
The redevelopment remains on plan to be completed over the winter period, so we can use it for the 2014 summer series.
For now your patience is appreciated.
Darren
Darren Wales
08-10-2013, 05:55 PM
We now have revised plans for the track redevelopment that Neil will send out to all bury members soon via email.
By all means let us have your feedback, but please respond via email with any criticism as opposed to airing on here.
We will confirm when work is expected to start and we will need many extra hands to help out during the works.
Darren
johnnygibbon
15-10-2013, 07:55 AM
Nicely revised I think
Thanks for the continued effort and updates Darren
Bmrcc is looking good
Cremegg
20-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Has The Email Been Sent Yet?
Thanks
sticky
17-12-2013, 09:28 PM
What's the latest on the track rebuild?
Gavin Collingwood
17-12-2013, 11:37 PM
More details on the AGM email. Work to start in January
budfish
16-01-2014, 10:27 PM
More details on the AGM email. Work to start in January
Any updates ???
Gavin Collingwood
16-01-2014, 11:37 PM
Yes we've changed builder and are much more happy with him, as long as the quote he gives us is reasonable i.e not nearly 20K that Dave wanted!! (hahahahahaha) and our feeling when talking to him was that it would be much MUCH lower, then plans going ahead end of jan/feb and will take 1 week to complete. I've just finished drawing up the detailed drawings of the track design so wheels will start turning very soon bud!
Cremegg
31-01-2014, 06:01 PM
Alright
Have the track changes/refurb started yet
:)
Darren Wales
31-01-2014, 10:34 PM
Members,
Thank you for your patience over the last few months.
We have today received a detailed written quote from our new contractor, which we are currently clarifying a couple of points on before approval. This is likely to take a couple of days at most, with the start date for taking the astro up planned within a week thereafter :thumbsup:
As soon as an agreed date to start work is known we will post to all.
It is our intention that a member of the committee will be at the track throughout the redevelopment to ensure we get the fantastic track we all want. :D
More to follow...
Darren
Gavin Collingwood
01-02-2014, 01:02 AM
Exciting times ahead!
Alan Reeves
01-02-2014, 08:52 AM
While this is all exciting stuff, some basics need to be sorted first imo.
budfish
01-02-2014, 01:38 PM
While this is all exciting stuff, some basics need to be sorted first imo.
Like what??
Gavin Collingwood
01-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Alan it's all in hand
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.