PDA

View Full Version : x5 bits on a xx4


Garry Spice
27-08-2008, 10:01 AM
fitted the new steering brace to my xx4.question is how many washers are needed to cure bump steer? i`ve got 2mm on there a the mo but its still there!! oh,is the x5 rear wing an improvement over the boggo xx4 one?:thumbsup:

Lee
27-08-2008, 10:45 AM
If it has X factory in the name, the chances are it will be an improvement on what you currently have :thumbsup:

I have lowered the brace by 3mm i also have 1 washer on the hub. :thumbsup:

SHY
27-08-2008, 11:32 AM
I put on 3 washers (=2,5mm) and there's still some minor bump-in-steer

Swiss
27-08-2008, 12:11 PM
If possible could someone post some pictures of how to fit the steering rack to the xx4, as it asin't a straight fit I am guessing a small amount of dremel work needs to be done?

Thanks

Paul

SHY
27-08-2008, 12:54 PM
I'll post it within an hour...

SHY
27-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Explanation with pics:
www.ymr.no/10ortip2.htm

Swiss
27-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks Shy, excellent detial...

Cheers

Paul

SHY
27-08-2008, 02:51 PM
My pleasure! :thumbsup:

Garry Spice
27-08-2008, 03:39 PM
also thanx from me:thumbsup:

tyreman
30-08-2008, 03:38 PM
The E Speed rack needs no modification to fit into the XX4

YoungChazz
30-08-2008, 06:58 PM
The rack itself needs no modification to fit the xx-4, but some folks have found they need to touch the xx-4 slightly with a Dremel. Fitting new, better parts onto a 12-year old car oftimes is not a perfect initial fit. But all four of the new E-Speed parts work great. You'll be faster and more durable with all of them.

The E-Speed parts, combined with our caster block screws, remove that last bit of concern where you might be hesitant to try something lest the car break.

SHY
01-09-2008, 06:40 AM
The E Speed rack needs no modification to fit into the XX4

Can you please show & explain further?

tyreman
01-09-2008, 06:46 AM
If you use the parts that come with it and nothing else, it will fit fine, without any dremeling or grinding.

SHY
01-09-2008, 06:56 AM
Pics?

Swiss
01-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Sorry Brian, you are wrong... as std the parts do not fit. The lower part of the steering catches on the chassis.

Shy detialed mod, works perfectly. Tried my at the weekend, and no complaints.

Paul T

tyreman
01-09-2008, 05:09 PM
http://www.oople.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=127&pictureid=626

http://www.oople.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=127&pictureid=627

http://www.oople.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=127&pictureid=628

It doesn't need any washers under the screws as it butts up to the brass bushing, I fitted mine on Saturday morning with no modification.

ashleyb4
01-09-2008, 05:39 PM
What advantage does the steering linkage give over the std one?

A

SHY
01-09-2008, 07:44 PM
WTF! Does this mean the chassis exists in two versions???

http://www.ymr.no/bilder/Tips/EllisSteeringMod/XX4/xx4mod1.jpg
I.e. without this part / or lower?

Ash, you're the one who discovered Ellis' mod! Have you got "Goldfish memory"? :p

BMH
03-09-2008, 03:29 PM
I have the older version of the XX4WE and it doesn't have those extra buttresses on it. I have two extra chassis that don't either. I bought them new this year, though they've been sitting on the wall of the hobby shop for years.

ashleyb4
03-09-2008, 06:12 PM
I saw him use it didnt ask him what it did.

A

Big E
03-09-2008, 06:21 PM
It gives a little more turn in but the biggest and best bit about it is how much more steering it gives the car mid corner and exit.

It also makes the steering more consistent.

E.

U.S.CAT3K
13-09-2008, 07:15 AM
My XX4 most certainly needed the clearancing SHY illustrated in order for the rack to work.