View Full Version : 44.2 and 4.2 for beginners advice
Tobamory
08-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Im running both Schumacher and Associated 4wd and 2wd cars, I just wanted to get some advice on the HOP Ups for the 4.2 and 44.2 that you guys would see a benefit from the stock car.
Ive slowly doing the K1 and KR but as ive found these 2 require some tweaking before there perfect, I find the associated drives good out the box, but wanted a steer on what if any upgrades you guys would have on a stock car to get the best from it.
I may at some point go C4.2 but that's along way off.
thanks in advance
P.S Also whats a good body option over the standard that makes it look good, would you guys go proline or Jc Concepts or other ?
Big G
08-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Proline Bulldog PL3395-00 is a great looking body for the B44.2
AS9783 FT Front Tower Mount, aluminum is a good option part as it strengthens the front of the car up helping to reduce DNF's from heavy front end crashes.
Danny Harrison
08-10-2013, 02:17 PM
The j concepts steering assembly made a big difference for me, making the steering feel more precise.
I also added an alloy front bulkhead. Seem to have broke fewer a arms with that fitted and they have less back to front movement too.
Lowered wing mount and alloy front n rear shock mounts certainly look nice too. Havnt really noticed and difference to handling though.
Ceramic diff balls id certainly use, with extra shims in diffs too.
AfroP
08-10-2013, 03:52 PM
The j concepts steering assembly made a big difference for me, making the steering feel more precise.
I also added an alloy front bulkhead. Seem to have broke fewer a arms with that fitted and they have less back to front movement too.
Lowered wing mount and alloy front n rear shock mounts certainly look nice too. Havnt really noticed and difference to handling though.
Ceramic diff balls id certainly use, with extra shims in diffs too.
whats the extra shims in the diffs all about?
have seen this mentioned in a few different threads but no idea really what its all about
Is it "required" out the box? or only if you run ceramic balls?
Mike Parker
08-10-2013, 04:07 PM
whats the extra shims in the diffs all about?
have seen this mentioned in a few different threads but no idea really what its all about
Is it "required" out the box? or only if you run ceramic balls?
Yeah it's to shim up the diffs on the outdrives to eliminate play, it helps prolong the life of the crown & pinion gears :)
I've run a near enough standard 44.1 for the past few years Rob, barring a few tuning options the only other thing I did straight away was replace the diff & thrust balls with ceramic.
Like Danny has said, the Jconcepts bellcrank set makes a difference and eliminates a lot of the play in the steering.
Danny Harrison
08-10-2013, 04:08 PM
whats the extra shims in the diffs all about?
have seen this mentioned in a few different threads but no idea really what its all about
Is it "required" out the box? or only if you run ceramic balls?
From advice and trial and error. Extra shims on the gear side meshes the gears a bit tighter. Result is they dont get damaged as easily. I shim normally but use 6-7 on the outside of the gear. Havnt killed a diff gear since doing this.
Id do it out the box yes.
AfroP
08-10-2013, 05:03 PM
From advice and trial and error. Extra shims on the gear side meshes the gears a bit tighter. Result is they dont get damaged as easily. I shim normally but use 6-7 on the outside of the gear. Havnt killed a diff gear since doing this.
Id do it out the box yes.
thanks for the info guys :-D
what shims are required?
are they a standard associated part or will any kind do?
Danny Harrison
08-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Standard associated diff shims.
Tobamory
08-10-2013, 06:42 PM
cool thanks guys, I,ll seek the items.
Should be there Sunday if I get my Radio
steveproracing
08-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Just to add on the shim advice.
For the b44.1 this is great advice. But for the b44.2 ae have already done this for you. The .2 now uses 9shims in each diff. If you follow the kit settings exactly it feels tight but once run in it creates the perfect mesh with no side to side play in the diff.
alex97
08-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Avid chassis is meant to be a really good uograde, I'm looking to get one soon
Danny Harrison
08-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Avid chassis is meant to be a really good uograde, I'm looking to get one soon
It worked for me, but feels looser on slippy tracks indoor.
Extra rear toe helps too, forgot that. 0.5 or 1 degree rear hubs.
Steven Forster
08-10-2013, 10:23 PM
thanks for the info guys :-D
what shims are required?
are they a standard associated part or will any kind do?
Shims are in the manual.....diff build page !!!
http://www.petitrc.com/setup/associated/setupb44/B44.2_BuildAdvice/4.jpg
Part number 3911
Use the shims to move the bevel gear closer to the pinion gear to stop them stripping teeth ;)
greenruby79
18-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Hello, kinda of newbie here. I just got my B44.2 and have not build them yet. I need help on the tools needed to build the kit. I know its imperial but which one should i get? Can anyone help me?
Heard from my hobby shop that AE change the bolts/nut from imperial to metric but im not to sure about it. Anyone care to share a light on this? Or its just rumors?
Thanks in advance. Cheers...:thumbsup:
cutting42
18-10-2013, 11:43 AM
Hi greenruby
Firstly the kit is imperial. I believe you can buy a metric screw set if that is what you want, however:
Std imperial tools required
Hex Drivers
3/32
5/64
1/16
0.05"
Nut Drivers
1/4
3/16
11/32
Danny Harrison
18-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Hello, kinda of newbie here. I just got my B44.2 and have not build them yet. I need help on the tools needed to build the kit. I know its imperial but which one should i get? Can anyone help me?
Heard from my hobby shop that AE change the bolts/nut from imperial to metric but im not to sure about it. Anyone care to share a light on this? Or its just rumors?
Thanks in advance. Cheers...:thumbsup:
Id recommend getting these and a cheap set of nut drivers off ebay.
http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php/rc-accessories/tools/drivers/arrowmax-allen-wrench-set-035-050-063-078-093-5-pcs.html
Every hex you need here. I only ever use 3 nut drivers.
greenruby79
18-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Hi guys thanks for the heads up. I will get those soon...very soon. :D
Anyway i read somewhere that RPM ball cups are good hop ups for B44.2 and T-Bone racing front/rear bumper to protect those arms. Avid chassis are great too.
:thumbsup:
NeilD
18-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Hi guys thanks for the heads up. I will get those soon...very soon. :D
Anyway i read somewhere that RPM ball cups are good hop ups for B44.2 and T-Bone racing front/rear bumper to protect those arms. Avid chassis are great too.
:thumbsup:
I use these. Never had any issues with them popping off etc.
http://www.losipartshouse.com/servlet/the-36427/LNS12009-Lunsford-B44.2-Super/Detail
greenruby79
18-10-2013, 01:46 PM
I use these. Never had any issues with them popping off etc.
http://www.losipartshouse.com/servlet/the-36427/LNS12009-Lunsford-B44.2-Super/Detail
+1 for Lunsford. ;)
greenruby79
18-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Hi greenruby
Firstly the kit is imperial. I believe you can buy a metric screw set if that is what you want, however:
Std imperial tools required
Hex Drivers
3/32
5/64
1/16
0.05"
Nut Drivers
1/4
3/16
11/32
Hello, do i need arm reamers when im building the front/rear arms. Thanks.
gazhillAE
18-10-2013, 02:46 PM
As7499 low friction ball cups
All I'm using now!
The jconcepts ones are good but bend very easily !
Use 6-10 shims per diff
Get it done :thumbsup:
AfroP
18-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Hello, do i need arm reamers when im building the front/rear arms. Thanks.
no arm reamers are not required.
i just built a 44.2 and did not require them
Danny Harrison
18-10-2013, 03:07 PM
+1 avid chassis. Mine was on 44.1 though, but made it massively easier to drive and reduced grip rolls lots too.
Danny Harrison
18-10-2013, 03:09 PM
These are an excellent upgrade too. Maybe the best yet!
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138028
Boom, shameless plug for the win. :)
Lee1972
20-10-2013, 10:42 AM
I use these. Never had any issues with them popping off etc.
http://www.losipartshouse.com/servlet/the-36427/LNS12009-Lunsford-B44.2-Super/Detail
Neil,
Do you use the ball cups that come with them or RPM?
NeilD
20-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Neil,
Do you use the ball cups that come with them or RPM?
I use the cups that come with them. I first used them on the original B44 and I've honestly had no problems whatsoever.
NeilD
20-10-2013, 10:55 AM
Neil,
Do you use the ball cups that come with them or RPM?
Lee, I forgot to add you would need to purchase this if you buy them.
http://www.losipartshouse.com/servlet/the-25548/LNS9901-Lunsford-Punisher-Wrench/Detail
Lee1972
20-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Cheers Neil
NeilD
20-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Cheers Neil
No probs. :thumbsup:
greenruby79
28-10-2013, 07:05 PM
What kind of ride height (B44.2) do you guys recommend for a newbie? Thanks in advance. Cheers...:thumbsup:
steveproracing
28-10-2013, 07:21 PM
21mm front 20mm rear is standard.
If more grip needed raise a mm all round
If less grip needed lower a mm from standard.
Never really go further than 1mm away from the standard.
greenruby79
28-10-2013, 09:45 PM
21mm front 20mm rear is standard.
If more grip needed raise a mm all round
If less grip needed lower a mm from standard.
Never really go further than 1mm away from the standard.
Thanks for the tip...:)
greenruby79
07-11-2013, 07:04 AM
Hello, want to know. Do you guys have any suggestion on Futaba Servo's? Im looking at Futaba BLS451. I know most use Savox 1256/57/58 servos. Or what do we look for when choosing a servo for 4WD buggy? Thanks in advance. Cheers...:thumbsup:
steveproracing
07-11-2013, 10:19 AM
I have the 9551 in both my 2wd and 4wd. They fit the 4wd without having to dremmel anything. (Unlike the Savox)
They are strong and fast. Very accurate around the centre point.
If you fancy the brushless version that is the bls551.
Hth
greenruby79
11-11-2013, 09:06 AM
I have the 9551 in both my 2wd and 4wd. They fit the 4wd without having to dremmel anything. (Unlike the Savox)
They are strong and fast. Very accurate around the centre point.
If you fancy the brushless version that is the bls551.
Hth
Thanks steve, btw any spares that i should get for my B44.2? A-arms, ball-cups, etc?
Cheers...
alex97
11-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Shock shafts, shock towers ( unless you have the 4mm ones), spur gears, front and rear arms
greenruby79
12-11-2013, 03:44 AM
Shock shafts, shock towers ( unless you have the 4mm ones), spur gears, front and rear arms
Thanks alex, start my list of spares to put in my pit bag. Anyways regarding the shock tower, mine is box stock so it must be 3mm. So where can i get 4mm ones? Thanks...:confused:
Danny Harrison
12-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Thanks alex, start my list of spares to put in my pit bag. Anyways regarding the shock tower, mine is box stock so it must be 3mm. So where can i get 4mm ones? Thanks...:confused:
i tend to carry front cvd's and drive shafts, including the pins and grub screws (i have bent/lost a few over the year). also front steering knuckles, caster blocks and associated hardware.
Along with the spares listed above you should be good.
If you dont mind waiting amain hobbies do some excellent aftermarket towers. Cheaper too.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_25_1450_701/products_id/21313/n/Xtreme-Racing-Team-Associated-B44-Thick-Carbon-Fiber-Front-Shock-Tower-4mm
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_25_1450_701/products_id/21319/n/Xtreme-Racing-Team-Assoicated-B44-Thick-Carbon-Fiber-Rear-Shock-Tower4mm
greenruby79
18-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Need help guys...what pinion should i get for B44.2 stock set up? I bought 19T pinion but don't know if its the correct one. Thanks in advance and sorry if i ask alot of questions and im really a noob in these kinda of stuff. :cry:
Danny Harrison
18-11-2013, 12:26 PM
Need help guys...what pinion should i get for B44.2 stock set up? I bought 19T pinion but don't know if its the correct one. Thanks in advance and sorry if i ask alot of questions and im really a noob in these kinda of stuff. :cry:
There isnt a specific ideal pinion. Piniin choice is based on motor rpm, spur teeth and track size.
I use between 17 and 21 on a 5.5 motor. On 6.5 the range is slightly more. 18-23. And so on.
If you say what motor you have, i can give you a ball park range. Spur teeth is handy too, but stock spur im sure is 81 or 84 teeth.
greenruby79
18-11-2013, 12:35 PM
There isnt a specific ideal pinion. Piniin choice is based on motor rpm, spur teeth and track size.
I use between 17 and 21 on a 5.5 motor. On 6.5 the range is slightly more. 18-23. And so on.
If you say what motor you have, i can give you a ball park range. Spur teeth is handy too, but stock spur im sure is 81 or 84 teeth.
Hi Danny, thanks for the reply. Im currently using speed passion reventon pro setup (blue esc/6.5T motor). So i guess having a 19T pinion should be alright then.
Danny Harrison
19-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Hi Danny, thanks for the reply. Im currently using speed passion reventon pro setup (blue esc/6.5T motor). So i guess having a 19T pinion should be alright then.
Ye but it will be on the slow side for top end if the track is large. You really want a 20 and 21 at least, to give you options. The 19 will be fine on smaller tracks though.
greenruby79
23-11-2013, 05:29 AM
Has anyone use aftermarket bearings set for their B44.2? If so, is it better and any recommendations? Thanks...:thumbsup:
Danny Harrison
24-11-2013, 10:46 PM
Has anyone use aftermarket bearings set for their B44.2? If so, is it better and any recommendations? Thanks...:thumbsup:
A friend of mine swears by the high quality ceramics. I just cant justify it, I'd sooner just change them when one goes bad for sake of 50p or so.
Svendc
04-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Has anyone use aftermarket bearings set for their B44.2? If so, is it better and any recommendations? Thanks...:thumbsup:
The Avid revolutions, are very good, they have them also in a kit for the B44.2
gtz
Sven
MiCk B.
04-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Hi,
Avid bearing kit for the B44.2 in stock at P-DubRacing.
http://p-dubracing.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2&products_id=353
MiCk B. :-)
greenruby79
04-12-2013, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. Will be getting the Avid bearing when my stock bearing is due for a change. Anyways i finally built my B44.2 and got it to my local track last weekend. Boy...does it run great. I used to run my SCT but running the B44.2 is totaly different ball game. Steering are smooth and it respond great. I did took out the roll bar and it perform better. Going to change the shock oil to abit lighter ones when i get back to the track. :D:D
AfroP
15-01-2014, 01:33 PM
what alternative none leaky shock o-rings are you guys using?
was going to get some whities , but £5 postage on a £4 item seems a bit silly to me
so what other options are there?
Steven Forster
15-01-2014, 01:59 PM
what alternative none leaky shock o-rings are you guys using?
was going to get some whities , but £5 postage on a £4 item seems a bit silly to me
so what other options are there?
Could always get some associated O-rings and just leave them in shock oil overnight......the O-rings will soak up some off the oil and expand in size ;)
Northy
15-01-2014, 02:11 PM
what alternative none leaky shock o-rings are you guys using?
was going to get some whities , but £5 postage on a £4 item seems a bit silly to me
so what other options are there?
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b213/Northynorthy/postage.jpg (http://s20.photobucket.com/user/Northynorthy/media/postage.jpg.html)
;);)
Could always get some associated O-rings and just leave them in shock oil overnight......the O-rings will soak up some off the oil and expand in size ;)
When orings are swollen due to that is when you should change them as they are adding 'sticktion' ;)
G
AfroP
15-01-2014, 04:14 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b213/Northynorthy/postage.jpg (http://s20.photobucket.com/user/Northynorthy/media/postage.jpg.html)
;);)
G
DOH!!!
sorry, didnt see that!
This is what happens when i'm trying to make a quick purchase on the internet without the boss see'ing i'm on the internet
gazhillAE
17-01-2014, 10:24 AM
Very good these !!
I use on all my cars !
The best there is :thumbsup:
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.