PDA

View Full Version : Tooling recommendations please


Jedward
09-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Hi all,

Thank you to everyone for letting me borrow there tools so far, but over the past month it's become quite apparent that I am crying out for a decent set of tools to be able to work on Charlie's car :blush:.

It just so happens that Mrs Edwards is dying to buy me some for Christmas :lol:. So please can you suggest a brand and what she should buy; I am thinking of hex and nut drivers etc. They dont need to be top of the range.

We have a B4 (and a Losi 22 is on the way - but Charlie doesnt know that ;))

many thanks,
John.

Steven Forster
09-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Hi all,

Thank you to everyone for letting me borrow there tools so far, but over the past month it's become quite apparent that I am crying out for a decent set of tools to be able to work on Charlie's car :blush:.

It just so happens that Mrs Edwards is dying to buy me some for Christmas :lol:. So please can you suggest a brand and what she should buy; I am thinking of hex and nut drivers etc. They dont need to be top of the range.

We have a B4 (and a Losi 22 is on the way - but Charlie doesnt know that ;))

many thanks,
John.

The Associated B4 uses Imperial tools and hardware......where as the Losi 22 uses Metric tools and hardware........screws/nuts/washers etc

Imperial

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/fastrax-interchangable-hex-driver-set-imperial/rc-car-products/28765

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/dynamite-imperial-nut-driver-assortment/rc-car-products/36390

Metric

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/fastrax-interchangable-hex-driver-set-metric/rc-car-products/28766

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/bmi-nut-driver-5.5mm/rc-car-products/20928

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/bmi-nut-driver-7.0mm/rc-car-products/20929

These are a cheap option but will get you going.......:)

Andyp
09-12-2013, 08:00 PM
Hi John, I was one of the lads helping a little last night, the problem you have is the B4 is imperial and the 22 will be metric I believe

This might work out quiet expensive to have a full set of each!!

I personally use EDS drivers, these are quiet expensive but they do tend to last, other brands I can think of are Arrowmax,hudy,RDRP......

What I would say is be carefully of some of the "cheap" sets as they will tend to round off or even snap so May work out more expensive in the long run

dpackster1980
09-12-2013, 08:08 PM
EDS are expensive but Arrow Max are cheaper and they use the same tips as EDS. I've got a set of imperial nut drivers that you can have for £5 as all my cars are metric. I've got some hardly used imperial wrenches too that you can have a look at.

Jedward
10-12-2013, 08:47 PM
EDS are expensive but Arrow Max are cheaper and they use the same tips as EDS. I've got a set of imperial nut drivers that you can have for £5 as all my cars are metric. I've got some hardly used imperial wrenches too that you can have a look at.

Hi all, thanks for your input which is very much appreciated.

Those imperial nut drivers will be ideal for the B4, thank you.

As for the Losi (metric), then the purple Arrow max look like a good bet; I even like the colour :wub

Thanks again, and see you all Sunday.

DAVO
12-12-2013, 11:09 PM
Hi all,

Thank you to everyone for letting me borrow there tools so far, but over the past month it's become quite apparent that I am crying out for a decent set of tools to be able to work on Charlie's car :blush:.

It just so happens that Mrs Edwards is dying to buy me some for Christmas :lol:. So please can you suggest a brand and what she should buy; I am thinking of hex and nut drivers etc. They dont need to be top of the range.

We have a B4 (and a Losi 22 is on the way - but Charlie doesnt know that ;))

many thanks,
John.

Hi John check on eBay there's loads of hex driver sets on there and it might poss work out cheaper if you don't buy sets that are specific to rc industry. We use the losi ones at minute I've used most types in the last 9 year doing 1/8th and the longest sets I've had have been the team losi ones there not cheap but do last prob had them around 3 plus years now

More useful tools are body reamer curved lexon scissors point nose pliers wire snips etc

Jedward
16-01-2014, 08:47 PM
Thanks Davo!

Please can anyone recommend a soldering iron in addition to some dos and dont's about soldering in general please?

I can't solder at present but believe it will be a good skill to get the hang of in the future.

Thanks.
John

MattK
16-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Soldering is one of those things that the more you do it the better you get.
My personal tip is clean the tip during use (damp sponge), a good hot iron with tip well covered in solder when going in to do the joint. Tin the wires well before soldering, hold wires with pliers.
What you don't want is a dry joint (where you don't have enough solder in the joint) this will be visable by being able to see the strands of the wires, what you want to see is a nice smooth finish on the joint.
Hope the above helps.
:lol:

StwBald
17-01-2014, 07:14 PM
I use a Portasol Super Pro, it's a gas soldering iron which comes in handy when you have no leccy. You can also get different size tips.

Tips on soldering: Tip both wire and connector first with good quality solder, place wire onto connector apply clean tipped iron job done, oh remember heat shrink before you attach the two together if needed. Job done.

Hope this helps..

Jedward
21-01-2014, 10:25 PM
Soldering is one of those things that the more you do it the better you get.
My personal tip is clean the tip during use (damp sponge), a good hot iron with tip well covered in solder when going in to do the joint. Tin the wires well before soldering, hold wires with pliers.
What you don't want is a dry joint (where you don't have enough solder in the joint) this will be visable by being able to see the strands of the wires, what you want to see is a nice smooth finish on the joint.
Hope the above helps.
:lol:

I use a Portasol Super Pro, it's a gas soldering iron which comes in handy when you have no leccy. You can also get different size tips.

Tips on soldering: Tip both wire and connector first with good quality solder, place wire onto connector apply clean tipped iron job done, oh remember heat shrink before you attach the two together if needed. Job done.

Hope this helps..

Thanks very much for the input guys. I will check out the Portasol SP and bear your advice in mind when I start soldering :)

Jayk
21-01-2014, 10:34 PM
Also about the soldering use a solder sucker to remove old solder second most handiest tool to go with it, soldering iron being the first :p
And i agree the portosol pro is the best, been using it on cars for years and when the tip finally seems to not be heating the solder enough change it out asap if your soldering onto the esc, far too much heat transfer there.
The vent on the tip also doubles as a handy heat shrink heaterer.

Jedward
01-02-2014, 06:59 AM
So I am planning on getting a Super Pro 125, but please can you tell me which gas refills you use; there doesn't appear to be a Portasol refill available?

Thanks.