View Full Version : SMD surprised by Team C move away.
mark christopher
18-12-2013, 10:36 AM
It is with much sadness that as of 1st January 2014 SMD are no longer the UK distributor for Absima / Team C.
We were only given this news Monday (16th December) and were informed that Absima will be handling distribution themselves from that date.
Any questions from shops or individuals about future sales or service need to be directed at Absima as they haven't given us any details of what or how they plan to progress.
Any oustanding orders from us should be fulfilled as normal as we have a last delivery from Absima on its way.
What the future holds for Team C in the UK is unclear, but we would like to take this opportunity to thank all our team drivers and club drivers for making Team C TM2 the most talked about car of 2013.
shark
18-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Was in the SMD section about an hour ago .
Dave Dodd
18-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Terrible news for SMD :thumbdown:
This is going affect over half of all club/Recreational drivers across the country if parts become difficult to obtain. :(
john333
18-12-2013, 11:08 AM
This is a comment from me personally....I would like to apologise to all the drivers I've talked into driving a TM2 over recent months only to have this dropped on us with no notice. Apart from the deep joy of possibly looking for a new job I will have to find a new car to drive, and after the TM2 that wont be an easy one!
shark
18-12-2013, 11:17 AM
No apologies needed John . Great car .
Hope everything works out ok for you .
mark christopher
18-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Was in the SMD section about an hour ago .
I know and facebook. But not everyone looks in the individual sections.
Sad news as smd have changed many drivers perspective on team c
Joe J
18-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Harsh news & in a terrible manor, my job has gone, John's job has gone, Jono's job is gone all in 1 foul swoop 7 days before Christmas.
What a nice Christmas present from TeamC / Absima - Happy Christmas TeamC and thanks.
hazeandfizz
18-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Real sorry to hear that buddy :thumbdown:.
Hope things work out for you.
James.
This is a comment from me personally....I would like to apologise to all the drivers I've talked into driving a TM2 over recent months only to have this dropped on us with no notice. Apart from the deep joy of possibly looking for a new job I will have to find a new car to drive, and after the TM2 that wont be an easy one!
racingdwarf
18-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Harsh news & in a terrible manor, my job has gone, John's job has gone, Jono's job is gone all in 1 foul swoop 7 days before Christmas.
What a nice Christmas present from TeamC / Absima - Happy Christmas TeamC and thanks.
If this is true what a terrible way to treat people who work directly or indirectly for you, feel very sorry for you guys.
Also feel sorry for anyone who has just spent there hard earned on a car to now find spares could be an issue and it's re sail value has just dropped through the floor:cry:
fidspeed
18-12-2013, 12:46 PM
not had the pleasure of a TM2
i know its drivers/owners hard earned cash invested in a great product which SMD have fought hard to raise the profile of ,Im sure parts will still be available
but that pales into insignificance compared to 3 guys possibly losing their jobs and income
I hope they find alterantive employment or something is sorted out
best of luck fellows
Fid
Adam F
18-12-2013, 01:22 PM
What a sad state of affairs, not to mention very poor timing.
SMD have done a brilliant job of building credibility behind TeamC, a brand which had very little and is now accepted within the RC community.
Feel for John and the other guys at SMD, who have been excellent in supporting TeamC owners, it really leaves a bad taste the way this has been handled.
Philim
18-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Sad state of affairs.
You guys were great in my hour of need with parts. Hope it all works out.
jimmy
18-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Very sorry to hear about this guys. The brand is pushed by SMD and then drops this bomb. I hope something comes along to keep everyone going at SMD as youre all top chaps.
Gutted.
DrPaul
18-12-2013, 05:22 PM
It's a shame how emerging companies/manufactures do not realise how much personalities are behind a products success. More estabished companies learn this from expierience and thats why the stick with trusted distributors and spend money on good quality team drivers, its a shame Team C/Abisima havent learnt this quicker. A year ago who even really knew anything about Team C, Team C had a lucky break with the TM2 but its Jamie & his people at SMD that have built on that product to build Team C into a trusted brand here in the UK!
Good luck to the SMD guys in whatever the future holds but shame on TC and Abisima, your are not nice peoples! :thumbdown:
crtpromachine
18-12-2013, 05:57 PM
Basically what is known AS A CEE U NEXT TUESDAY Trick my thought goes out to all at SMD at this time especially before Xmas to when they have all worked extremely hard to bring the product into the U.K and been able to make it work and grow
andy110m
18-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Really sorry for the guys and this won't help them now but if this company won't support the UK trade, we should all go back to calling it Team Cheese and vote with our wallets.
Once their market share returns to what it was pre-SMD they may realise their error.
Hope you guys get sorted soon.
discothesnake
18-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Real shame to have this sprung on anyone. Especially this time of year.
Unfortunatley these days there is very little loyalty in business.
Hope you guys find something soon.
All the best.
weejimmy
18-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Agree with the previous comments. SMD and the people who work there are the reason why a lot of people (myself and my son included) drive TeamC cars.
I wish everyone at SMD every success going forwards.
I appreciate the current financial climate but pretty poor for team c / absima to do this a few days before Xmas to these guys. Best of luck guys in finding other work.
kaylon
18-12-2013, 08:35 PM
Is this not what Team C basically did to Ansmann 2 years ago? ...oh and of course TQ racing in the states..and I think another but I forget who. Seems a trend to me.
I hope SMD will weather this and find other, better deals in the near future.
K
dibble34
18-12-2013, 09:18 PM
Terrible news for those whose jobs are on the line, hope it works out for you all. I only recently entered the world of TM2 and although I love it, the way this happened to you all has put me off giving the brand anymore of my money.
Bluestreak
18-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Really sad news guys, hope you all find some more work soon.
I for one will have to think carefully now before spending any money on my team C car as if the parts support is disappearing then maybe its time to look for a different brand.
Lee1972
18-12-2013, 11:10 PM
It's a shame how emerging companies/manufactures do not realise how much personalities are behind a products success. More estabished companies learn this from expierience and thats why the stick with trusted distributors and spend money on good quality team drivers, its a shame Team C/Abisima havent learnt this quicker. A year ago who even really knew anything about Team C, Team C had a lucky break with the TM2 but its Jamie & his people at SMD that have built on that product to build Team C into a trusted brand here in the UK!
Good luck to the SMD guys in whatever the future holds but shame on TC and Abisima, your are not nice peoples! :thumbdown:
Don't race any Team C cars but a great and valid comment :thumbsup:
Aire valley
18-12-2013, 11:21 PM
Harsh news & in a terrible manor, my job has gone, John's job has gone, Jono's job is gone all in 1 foul swoop 7 days before Christmas.
What a nice Christmas present from TeamC / Absima - Happy Christmas TeamC and thanks.
Fairly obvious that the RC fraternity should completely boycott Team C / Absima in support of SMD.. There are plenty of good alternatives out there....
Hard to believe that 3 people were employed by SMD purely on Team C products..!
john333
18-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments guys, it means a lot.
Although the timing and notice of this change are very poor, SMD were there before TeamC came along, and we're going to work extra hard to make sure it's still there when its gone! :thumbsup:
neallewis
18-12-2013, 11:43 PM
Fairly obvious that the RC fraternity should completely boycott Team C / Absima in support of SMD.. There are plenty of good alternatives out there....
Hard to believe that 3 people were employed by SMD purely on Team C products..!
Well to be fair to SMD, they (customers) should help clear their current stock of parts and kits, so SMD are not left with stock they can't sell, however a difficult choice if you were just planning on getting one, or were expecting one at Christmas. I guess current racers of the car can try keep it going until spares have gone from the channel, then it's probably a shelf queen or fit for the bin.
I know SMD did a good job of building a buzz for the car, it was very popular, though not so common in the Yorkshire area with it's low traction tracks, there were a few around. Shame though for those that supported the brand and SMD/staff.
Does make you want to stick with a more established brand, knowing it will be supported and not instantly dropped by the manufacturer. who knows, maybe the IP and molds will be reused by some Chinese maker knocking out cheap kits? wouldn't surprise me given the various ansmann and other flavours being sold previously.
deano43
18-12-2013, 11:50 PM
This is a comment from me personally....I would like to apologise to all the drivers I've talked into driving a TM2 over recent months only to have this dropped on us with no notice. Apart from the deep joy of possibly looking for a new job I will have to find a new car to drive, and after the TM2 that wont be an easy one!
john mate you never talked anyone into something they didnt want to do even me with my 2 x tm2 cars or my tc02c you were just doing your job and promoting the brand and the tm2 is a great car so a lot of people who you were promoting the car too were amazed how good it was and i carnt remember anyone saying they regretted getting a tm2 in fact the opposite.
The problem people are facing is will spares still be ready available or should they sell their team c cars in support of smd and use another brand, personally i love my tm2 but if spares become hard to get then its not much use to me and as your a personal friend feel my heart is not with team c because that personal touch from smd will be missing for support either on set-ups or suppling your local model shop with kits and spares quickly in my case. I am still undecided about what to do but its seems absima used smd to get a foot hold in the uk market and now the hard work has been done they want to run the show them selfs well we will see whats what and how people vote but as we dont dont actually know what absima plan to do next with the uk market maybe they should address this issue on here and explain there reason for this decision.
john333
19-12-2013, 12:06 AM
Speaking purely as a lover of the rc sport, and not an smd employee for the moment...I can't see there being any kind of problem with spares availability once the initial swap over has settled down, assuming of course that their new uk office manager isn't a complete arse hole.
I have no idea how or when they are going to get in touch with shops etc, but they need to get cracking ASAP.
neallewis
19-12-2013, 12:23 AM
AH I see, they are looking to build their own channel or appoint a new (maybe bigger) distributor, given the UK market for the team C product after the hard work from the SMD team to create and build it.
The "right" thing to do would be to take the staff into the new organisation (should they want to go). There is a process for this: tupe (http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1655)
If, lets say a larger kit shifter has decided they want the piece of the market and done a deal with team C then of course, the loyal customers of SMD should boycott the new one. On the other hand if customers have invested, then its good to know they will still be able to get their parts, however it would surely create a bad feeling for those racers who want to remain loyal to their local shop. I'm sure SMD will get over the bump, and come back stronger with their other, and future brands.
taz5311
19-12-2013, 01:42 AM
Wonder how this will impact drivers such as Kevin Lee? I know he wasn't an SMD driver but......
Maybe this is why he is running absima electrics rather than Dualsky etc.
chuckie stella
19-12-2013, 02:25 AM
Maybe this is why he is running absima electrics
I agree with everyone that this situation is bang out of order and truly feel for those involved. Especially those nice chaps like John (top bloke) etc who may lose their jobs!! :(
However, lets focus on these poor chaps. DIRECT Absima drivers such as Kev will have to run what products are in their contract and doubt it had any bearing on this decision and SMD.
I wanted this thread to stay focussed on this terrible news thats all
Matt
DerbyDan
19-12-2013, 09:19 AM
Terrible news for those whose jobs are on the line, hope it works out for you all. I only recently entered the world of TM2 and although I love it, the way this happened to you all has put me off giving the brand anymore of my money.
This is how I feel, I'm really gutted for the guys at SMD that it appears will be losing their jobs, they have all provided such great promotion & back-up support for the brand which really makes this such a kick in the teeth :-/
I really love my TM2 - it really has pushed up my level of performance a notch or two, but somehow looking at it now I feel like I want to replace it with something else, I sure spares & backup will soon be provided through another UK channel but, I don't want to run/support a brand that treats it's associated companies & it's employees like this.
Adam F
19-12-2013, 10:03 AM
I really love my TM2 - it really has pushed up my level of performance a notch or two, but somehow looking at it now I feel like I want to replace it with something else, I sure spares & backup will soon be provided through another UK channel but, I don't want to run/support a brand that treats it's associated companies & it's employees like this.
Got to say, I feel the same at the moment.
I understand that SMD has done a great job and managed to shift lots of cars in the UK. From this a manufacturer may deem the market important enough to open a subsid office themselves to take a bigger slice.. thats just business and often happens.
But doing it the week before christmas and completely by surprise in such a short period is just not acceptable and shows a ruthless edge to them that I do not like.
They have lost a lot of respect and credibility doing this.. time maybe to look elsewhere for a new car...
One thing is for sure, if SMD can keep going without TeamC products I will always support them as they are superb.. fingers crossed.
carrot
19-12-2013, 10:56 AM
This is how I feel, I'm really gutted for the guys at SMD that it appears will be losing their jobs, they have all provided such great promotion & back-up support for the brand which really makes this such a kick in the teeth :-/
I really love my TM2 - it really has pushed up my level of performance a notch or two, but somehow looking at it now I feel like I want to replace it with something else, I sure spares & backup will soon be provided through another UK channel but, I don't want to run/support a brand that treats it's associated companies & it's employees like this.
The same here.Team C would be nowhere in the UK without the promotion and support Jamie and the lads have given the brand in the last 12 months or so.
A real kick in the nuts...
justleanitupabit
19-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Got to say, I feel the same at the moment.
I understand that SMD has done a great job and managed to shift lots of cars in the UK. From this a manufacturer may deem the market important enough to open a subsid office themselves to take a bigger slice.. thats just business and often happens.
But doing it the week before christmas and completely by surprise in such a short period is just not acceptable and shows a ruthless edge to them that I do not like.
They have lost a lot of respect and credibility doing this.. time maybe to look elsewhere for a new car...
One thing is for sure, if SMD can keep going without TeamC products I will always support them as they are superb.. fingers crossed.
Playing devils advocate for a minute.
Presumably there was a contract in place for SMD to distribute Team C stuff for a certain period and this will end on 31st Dec? - Team C may have just chosen not to renew that contract, as is their right. Or if the contract has been terminated early there will have been certain conditions to be fulfilled that both parties will have agreed to at the outset - SMD may be disappointed but it shouldn't have been completely surprised by this development.
Also would their be a similar response if the shoe was on the other foot?
Like I say I'm playing devils advocate here because there is always two sides to a story but I sincerely hope the 3 chaps mentioned at risk of losing their jobs are ok.
PaulRotheram
19-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Seems to be a fair few tm2s cropping up in the for sale section and ebay after this news... I think abisma will suffer for this idiotic decision.
john333
19-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Playing devils advocate for a minute.
Presumably there was a contract in place for SMD to distribute Team C stuff for a certain period and this will end on 31st Dec? - Team C may have just chosen not to renew that contract, as is their right. Or if the contract has been terminated early there will have been certain conditions to be fulfilled that both parties will have agreed to at the outset - SMD may be disappointed but it shouldn't have been completely surprised by this development.
Also would their be a similar response if the shoe was on the other foot?
Like I say I'm playing devils advocate here because there is always two sides to a story but I sincerely hope the 3 chaps mentioned at risk of losing their jobs are ok.
no, this isn't correct.
justleanitupabit
19-12-2013, 01:29 PM
no, this isn't correct.
In what way?
Was there a contract at all?
Was it not renewed or was it terminated early?
fidspeed
19-12-2013, 01:36 PM
not really our business is it ?
its enough for whatever reason that 3 rc guys may be unemployed
and by the way john puts it it doesnt sound like like SMD were expecting it
good luck fellas
justleanitupabit
19-12-2013, 02:12 PM
not really our business is it ?
its enough for whatever reason that 3 rc guys may be unemployed
and by the way john puts it it doesnt sound like like SMD were expecting it
good luck fellas
Well not ordinarily no but this is a forum, It's for discussions, debates and opinion that's their function, so before I sharpened my pitchfork and went on a witch hunt against Team C I thought I might see if there was another side to the story/any other pertinent detail that may be relevant.
Like I already said, devils advocate really.
Team C / Absima :thumbdown: (that better?)
cunawarit
20-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Well not ordinarily no but this is a forum, It's for discussions, debates and opinion that's their function, so before I sharpened my pitchfork and went on a witch hunt against Team C I thought I might see if there was another side to the story/any other pertinent detail that may be relevant.
I agree, if you are one of the guys who lost their job or SMD it is natural to feel totally gutted about Team-C's decision. But without knowing what happened between Team-C, SMD, and Absima I can't see any reason why I should take any sides.
Sure, for UK Team-C fans it is a bit of a blow as there's no UK distributor. But so far I've not quite understood the level of vitriol directed towards Team-C and Absima.
I wish the guys that lots their jobs good luck, as by all accounts they did a great job and are a great asset to the industry. Likewise I wish SMD the best. But that doesn't mean that Team-C didn't take this decision for good reasons, without knowing that I can't sit here criticising anyone over this.
dave-p
20-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Jesus Christ guys isn't this bad enough for the three lads concerned without posting negative comments about the situation, perhaps justleanitupabit might want to stick his sharpened pitch fork up his own arse where it may do a little more good.
I don't have much to do with the electric side of the sport anymore just the nitro, but I do run truggy for the Smd boys and it seems to me that if you guys on here like the buggys so much the best thing you could do is help them out by buying all Jamie's remaining stock that way at least you will all be doing your bit and I am sure it would be greatly appreciated,
P.s. Just my two penneth.
DrPaul
20-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Jesus Christ guys isn't this bad enough for the three lads concerned without posting negative comments about the situation, perhaps justleanitupabit might want to stick his sharpened pitch fork up his own arse where it may do a little more good.
I don't have much to do with the electric side of the sport anymore just the nitro, but I do run truggy for the Smd boys and it seems to me that if you guys on here like the buggys so much the best thing you could do is help them out by buying all Jamie's remaining stock that way at least you will all be doing your bit and I am sure it would be greatly appreciated,
P.s. Just my two penneth.
Dave you are spot on. Have some compassion guys! If it wasn't for SMD, Team C would be nowhere in the UK.
jamiebooth
20-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Thanks guys for the many kind words of support we really do apreciate it. I have had so many emails and kind words from our drivers, customers and competitiors its been amazing.
Absima/Team C are entitled to make changes to their structure, the only issue that is causing me massive head aches is the notice period. The notice period suits them, but obvioulsy it does not suit us.
I am doing all i can to keep my lads in work, but it wont be easy given the time frame involved.
Watch our web site for any developments over the next few weeks.
Once again thanks for the support.
Regards,
Jamie
bondy
20-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Stop Buying Team C stuff and swap to something else.... People Power Rules :thumbsup:
justleanitupabit
20-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Jesus Christ guys isn't this bad enough for the three lads concerned without posting negative comments about the situation, perhaps justleanitupabit might want to stick his sharpened pitch fork up his own arse where it may do a little more good.
I don't have much to do with the electric side of the sport anymore just the nitro, but I do run truggy for the Smd boys and it seems to me that if you guys on here like the buggys so much the best thing you could do is help them out by buying all Jamie's remaining stock that way at least you will all be doing your bit and I am sure it would be greatly appreciated,
P.s. Just my two penneth.
Well you're quite the pleasant one aren't you?
Did you deliberately ignore where I posted my sympathies for the 3 chaps that may lose their jobs? Quite how I've been negative towards them I don't know. Nor did I suggest team c had done the right thing either.
I also see nothing wrong with trying to understand the situation better, rather than behaving like a reactionary idiot.
Loheswaran
21-12-2013, 11:48 PM
It is largely SMD that gave team C credibility and worth at the UK circuits. Take that away, and a large part of the Team C goodwill that was built up goes away.
I think team C think that they can undercut and make more profit by controlling distribution. A rather short term solution.
I think a problem is that Team C kits are often bought at model shops in Hong Kong for about half the price that you can get them from the UK. Sad fact of mail order - that's why I only buy from UK shops now.
Both shops, and now distributors are being hammered by drivers wanting to import everything at a cheaper price...
dave-p
22-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Well you're quite the pleasant one aren't you?
Did you deliberately ignore where I posted my sympathies for the 3 chaps that may lose their jobs? Quite how I've been negative towards them I don't know. Nor did I suggest team c had done the right thing either.
I also see nothing wrong with trying to understand the situation better, rather than behaving like a reactionary idiot.
There is a big difference between trying to understand situations and trying to delve into things that do not concern you , contracts are between the the two parties concerned and NOT for you to stick your nose into.
Perhaps you could phone absima uk and ask them the same question ?. Your answer I am sure would be a polite f--k --f and mind your own business.
As for as being a reactionary idiot me thinks the idiot is in your camp.
Away from this I would like to wish Jamie and the boys at Smd all the best for the future and hope that they get things sorted out and acquire new work to keep them all in employment.
Precision1
25-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Read this interview w/ Juraj from XRAY (http://www.neobuggy.net/2013/12/22/exploring-xray-jurajs-interview/). Pretty interesting stuff about RC industry and racing teams/sponsorship and distribution channels. Seems to be a pretty intelligent guy.
"I believe that many companies had to spend more on their team and racing than they earned.... It seems that recently other companies have crashed back to earth as well and I expect we will see a lot of team changes and shifts."
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.