View Full Version : Replacement esc for 1's Supastox
Staxman
01-02-2014, 01:11 PM
Good afternoon
I am looking to replace my current esc in my supastox
When I started I just bought the Core RC starter pack...basically just to see if I enjoyed running this class...but now I want to be more competitive.
So I guess the question has to be what esc should I be looking at, with approximate prices.
Also, because I am new to the class, and not 100% on the rules...is it permitted to alter the timing on the motor's end bell, as I know the esc has to be in blinky mode
Thanks in advance
JimboJames1972
01-02-2014, 03:31 PM
Hi Chris,
First off, your motor question because it is the easiest to answer. Yes, you can do whatever you like to the motor timing endbell. For GT12 racing, the majority of drivers I have spoken to do add some advance, the exact amount depends heavily on the exact motor, track size/layout and gearing. The best way to hit the sweet spot is to ask drivers at your local clubs and follow their advice.
Next, your speedo question. I strongly recommend picking a speedo that is 1s compatible, simply because adding either a voltage booster or receiver pack is not always as straightforward as it could be. Popular 1s speedos are the Hobbywings (new or old versions), Nosram Pearls, Viper VTX1, LRP XXS (Stock Spec version) and the new G-Force from Mardave. Prices start at around £105 for the GForce and up to about £160 for the new HobbyWing if you buy from the Uk. There may be others, but these are the only ones I have had first hand experience of... The advantage of all of these is that they put out around 6v to your servo and receiver, even with just 3.7v from the battery. This means that your servo and receiver work at their best.
Hope this helps,
James
jonathan may
01-02-2014, 04:10 PM
hobbywing v3.1 1s it probably your best bet
Robocop
01-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Speed passion have just released a new 1c esc
SlowOne
01-02-2014, 05:13 PM
You'll struggle to tell the difference between the G-Force and the Hobbywing - except for the £50 you will still have in your wallet! These two are the best for GT12 as the switch and capacitors are built in, saving a whole load of space in the car.
With both, get the programming box. It makes it possible to adjust several settings in the speedo that will set it up nicely for your driving style. Both come with software you can download free from their sites if you want to always have the latest firmware. HTH :)
sparkyboy22
01-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Speed passion have just released a new 1c esc
This ones even cheaper than the gforce.
mark christopher
01-02-2014, 06:43 PM
You'll struggle to tell the difference between the G-Force and the Hobbywing - except for the £50 you will still have in your wallet! These two are the best for GT12 as the switch and capacitors are built in, saving a whole load of space in the car.
With both, get the programming box. It makes it possible to adjust several settings in the speedo that will set it up nicely for your driving style. Both come with software you can download free from their sites if you want to always have the latest firmware. HTH :)
I can tell the difference, one has its wires in a different order to the other :D
SlowOne
01-02-2014, 08:43 PM
No one likes a smartarse...!! :D :D
Lee24h
01-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Nosram pearl v2 it has a booster unlike the comet
Staxman
01-02-2014, 08:48 PM
Just want to say thanks for all your assistance
I'm guessing that from the comments the GForce and the Hobbywing a pretty much the same in terms of capabilities and settings etc
And thanks James for answering my question with regards to motor timing. I guess with yourself being the gt12 rep you will be the font of all knowledge with regards the class...i may well be in contact again
Thanks again everyone
Staxman
04-02-2014, 03:11 PM
Just ordered the G Force and a programming card. Should hopefully be here and ready to use for weekend
Thanks again for the advice
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.