PDA

View Full Version : Spenborough Work Party


Oscar
30-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Although the track has come through the winter much better than normal, it will be necessary to organise a work party to bring things up to top standard.
Please indicate in the poll above if and how you would be best able to attend and assist.

Ashlandchris
30-03-2014, 07:46 PM
I can try to be there, pretty flexible but evenings 7th-11th not great as I have a busy week.

What does it usually involve?

Danny Harrison
30-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Good stuff john. I can do a week on saturday. Do we have any astro? MMaybe we can fill in the ruts n cover them with astro? Doubt that dirt will stay in them without some weeks to settle.

DianneH
30-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Strimming needed to get rid of all the weeds/grass - especially around the markings.

Once we can see the markings will need to get the paint brushes out and paint the red and white edgings.

Container could do with a coat of paint.

Cannot do painting on a Sunday and then race afterwards as it will obviously need time to dry.

Mike Parker has supplied us with reasonably priced paint before so hopefully he can get us some red, white and green paint from work (if he still works there)!

Oscar
30-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Chris, Track work is varied from a bit of painting, to strimming around the extremities of the track, to filling in the potholes (#1 task in my opinion) so jobs for people of all abilities :)

Danny, no idea what's happening with astro, I heard we had some reserved but I don't know if that is either A true or B if it can be delivered in time. I guess only Steve would know that??

neallewis
30-03-2014, 09:48 PM
I've got a decent petrol strimmer, so don't mind doing that. week night, late aft/early eve is preferential to me, but i could go do it anyway if i cant make the weekend/saturday.

might be best to strim and start filling potholes mid week, then let them settle for a weekend work party

Oscar
30-03-2014, 10:03 PM
There should be 2 petrol strimmers in the container Neil ;)

Danny Harrison
30-03-2014, 11:31 PM
[QUOTE=Oscar;848717] filling in the potholes (#1 task in my opinion):)/QUOTE]

This :thumbsup:

Ill spend some time putting the track right (better than right infact!) If we have any materials needed, ie dirt/filler, some offcuts of astro, tools. I could even get down tuesday.

Dodgy Guy
30-03-2014, 11:42 PM
I agree that holes in the track are number one priority.
I haven't voted on a date as I will be moving house in the next two weeks.
If I can help on a date that someone is at the track I will.

emtee
30-03-2014, 11:54 PM
Is it worthwhile going round the edges of the hard features with some weedol..?

Anyway, I'm up for a bit of container painting if we have rollers n trays? I don't fancy the task wiv a brush n paint pot n that's a fact!!

I'll muck in best I can no worries... Btw, do you mix a bit of sand n cement with the pot hole filler n water it in? If that's a silly Q, apologies offered! A gardener I ain't!!

jameswilkinson7
31-03-2014, 07:29 AM
I can get down there a few evenings this week. Do some strimming n stuff.

It would be great if we could get our hands on some astro. Especially for the top section of the track, before the straight. That part is shocking! :cry:

neallewis
31-03-2014, 09:50 AM
There should be 2 petrol strimmers in the container Neil ;)

the one i used last year was useless. the engine ran, but the rotating strimmer head was broken.
I'll bring my own, i know it will work. :-)

jameswilkinson7
31-03-2014, 10:08 AM
the one i used last year was useless. the engine ran, but the rotating strimmer head was broken.
I'll bring my own, i know it will work. :-)

When do you fancy going down Neal. I have a decent strimmer too. We could get that done one evening this week.

Aire valley
04-04-2014, 03:00 PM
Is there any work party this weekend 5th or 6 th April..?

neallewis
04-04-2014, 03:25 PM
When do you fancy going down Neal. I have a decent strimmer too. We could get that done one evening this week.

Sorry James, just seen this. Very busy week... It will have to be next week sometime. Not next Thursday as I've some evening work on for a client.

Oscar
14-04-2014, 06:36 PM
A couple of us plan to make a trip down tomorrow and do what works we can.
The idea is we will be there from maybe mid afternoon, but if anyone else can come down to lend a hand for an hour or so (even if later on), that would be magic. :thumbsup:

Dodgy Guy
14-04-2014, 06:57 PM
A couple of us plan to make a trip down tomorrow and do what works we can.
The idea is we will be there from maybe mid afternoon, but if anyone else can come down to lend a hand for an hour or so (even if later on), that would be magic. :thumbsup:
I'll nip down to lend an hand but will have to set off home at 3.30.
Any idea what time someone will be there?

Bells
14-04-2014, 07:03 PM
Back home now for good , I will call on way home from work and see if any one still there and help out :thumbsup:

Dodgy Guy
14-04-2014, 07:08 PM
I might be able to stay longer if the missus is back at 3.30...

Oscar
14-04-2014, 07:17 PM
depends if I get my car back in time, or if I grab a lift off Neal. I'll post on here when setting off down there.

DianneH
14-04-2014, 08:25 PM
John - have you got a set of keys?

Oscar
14-04-2014, 09:40 PM
Yes I have keys, so will be able to open up the container and access what ever we may need. :)

Oscar
15-04-2014, 01:33 PM
We will be there in 5 mins if anyone can join us

neallewis
15-04-2014, 02:04 PM
I'll be there after 4pm John, with my strimmer.

neallewis
15-04-2014, 11:56 PM
Thanks to all who came and helped today... you know who you are.

Jobs done tonight:
Filled some track holes.
Mowed and strimmed track and surrounding area.
Put weed killer down.
Re-wired genny leads and tidied some electrical stuff in container.


With discussions with John Price, I've put together a list of jobs that need attacking over the coming weeks. These will make for a much better summer season at Spenborough, so please if you can come along and help at a work party, or do something before/after/during a sunday club meeting, then please step forward by putting your name down below.


The list.

1. Remove old wood floor from rostrum. Replace wood floor with new boards. Six 8x4x19mm ply required.

2. Paint container/rostrum.

3. Replace loop with new one. (John Price has this)

4. Obtain/buy astro piece for far end of track 3x20m approx. lay astro from brick curve to far upper corner. We'll need a few bodies for this...

5. Remove cricket mat patches from track, replace with either grass seed or fresh astro.

6. Fill more holes with mud/turf.

thanks,


To add to what Neal said, this List is just our opinion of which things to tackle. It's not exhaustive, so if anyone else believes other things require attention, please make it known. This way each club member can then work out in which way they could best help out. If everyone contributes just a little, it soon adds up to a whole lot ;) John

Aire valley
16-04-2014, 09:36 AM
I could be wrong, but I thought Dianne had a source for astro..?

neallewis
16-04-2014, 10:15 AM
I could be wrong, but I thought Dianne had a source for astro..?

There is a place very close to the track that supplies/uses it. John Price is going to speak to them to see what they have.

The used astro I found in Leeds is now on RHR.

Ashlandchris
16-04-2014, 11:08 AM
Sorry I couldn't get down last night - didn't get home from work til late and then had another meeting!!

Well done and thank you to those who did - hopefully my efforts with the lawnmower on Sunday morning made it a bit easier...

Oscar
16-04-2014, 11:46 AM
I could be wrong, but I thought Dianne had a source for astro..?
After speaking with Steve, the conclusion was that the drawback of used astro is the transport cost, (plus huge amount of manpower needed to move it about) It might actually be easier just to source some new locally.

This will be cost dependant of course, but once my car is fixed I'll look into some quotes which we can evaluate.

Bells
16-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Put me down for helping

DianneH
16-04-2014, 08:10 PM
After speaking with Steve, the conclusion was that the drawback of used astro is the transport cost, (plus huge amount of manpower needed to move it about) It might actually be easier just to source some new locally.

This will be cost dependant of course, but once my car is fixed I'll look into some quotes which we can evaluate.



I thought there was some that James had put aside for us at RHR and the only reason we had not done anything yet was because we did not want to use it at Spenborough if we were going to have to move.

I also thought that Steve had some put aside at Sarah's nursery?

Oscar
16-04-2014, 08:46 PM
Apparently the stuff at the nursery is still laid down and would need lifting. Realistically you would need around 15 people to travel over there to lift and manhandle it onto a vehicle. Transport back would be via a hired HGV as it would be too heavy for a regular trailer or van. There would then need to be a similar number of folk back at Spenborough to unload.
I'm not sure what is left at James's place, (I'll find out this weekend when down there) but similarly we would be looking at £500 ish for a HGV to deliver to Spenborough. James could load up at RHR , but we would want a JCB or similar to unload at our end.
The conversation Steve and I had was that we do need to think about what is realistic. Even a single piece of used Astro to do the section from the corner over the small jump and up to the start of the straight, would likely weigh in excess of a couple of tonnes. New astro before it has sand added, is comparatively very light and easily manageable with fewer hands. New stuff would also avoid the patchwork quilt effect which is very easy to end up with when laying old pieces from elsewhere.

Oscar
16-04-2014, 08:55 PM
I have been tinkering again today and got a spare Amp from the Whitcliffe container up and working. Prior to Sunday I'll go set it up in the container so we can have a dedicated separate output onto the rostrum. This will allow us to independently run appropriate PA volume levels to both drivers and into the pits. I'm sure our neighbours will benefit as much as we will ;)
I will post on here when I'm going down, so if anyone else is free at the same time we could maybe meet up and tackle another one or two of the endless list of jobs :)

neallewis
16-04-2014, 11:52 PM
Astro:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.708954,-1.687773,3a,69.5y,135.46h,70.76t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sSLycXJj7k_4rhVxiTXXkaQ!2e0!6m1 !1e1

Aire valley
17-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Astro:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.708954,-1.687773,3a,69.5y,135.46h,70.76t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sSLycXJj7k_4rhVxiTXXkaQ!2e0!6m1 !1e1


Good spotting Neal....there must be some going spare there..!!

neallewis
17-04-2014, 07:21 PM
Good spotting Neal....there must be some going spare there..!!

They sell it. its just round the corner from the track.
John was going to have a word when he has his car back.

Bells
01-05-2014, 09:36 AM
The rostrum is now getting in quite a bad way we have 2 more foot sized holes and a lot of the boards have now started to come away from the container , I don't know if it's the weather that is lifting them or vandalism either way it won't be long before it's not safe to use

Ashlandchris
01-05-2014, 12:41 PM
The rostrum is now getting in quite a bad way we have 2 more foot sized holes and a lot of the boards have now started to come away from the container , I don't know if it's the weather that is lifting them or vandalism either way it won't be long before it's not safe to use

I am in the process of getting my garden tidied up and we have an area of decking approx 5m*20m that looks untidy. We have got it booked infor someone to take up the decking and replace with new. Therefore I will have a significant quantity of decking boards that could be laid over the existing structure. There are only 3 boards that I am aware of that have any signs of deteriation so the vast majority have plenty of life left. I have no means of transporting them, but if there is no immediate urgency (i.e. the job is booked for approx mid June assuming weather doesn't get in the way) and someone has a van that could be used to transfer from Mirfield to Spen, then you are welcome to have them when they come up?

Bells
01-05-2014, 03:26 PM
I am in the process of getting my garden tidied up and we have an area of decking approx 5m*20m that looks untidy. We have got it booked infor someone to take up the decking and replace with new. Therefore I will have a significant quantity of decking boards that could be laid over the existing structure. There are only 3 boards that I am aware of that have any signs of deteriation so the vast majority have plenty of life left. I have no means of transporting them, but if there is no immediate urgency (i.e. the job is booked for approx mid June assuming weather doesn't get in the way) and someone has a van that could be used to transfer from Mirfield to Spen, then you are welcome to have them when they come up?



I think mid June will be too late , and I'm sure that decking wouldn't be suitable to fix to the top of the container either :)

Ashlandchris
01-05-2014, 03:37 PM
No worries:)

neallewis
01-05-2014, 04:05 PM
The rostrum is now getting in quite a bad way we have 2 more foot sized holes and a lot of the boards have now started to come away from the container , I don't know if it's the weather that is lifting them or vandalism either way it won't be long before it's not safe to use

Ian, I guess it's time to do as we discussed with John at the work party..

Order them for delivery saturday or when someone is available there to accept delivery into the container. Then we can work on swapping them en-mass before or after a sunday meeting.

As it stands I think they are to just place up and screw down. no cutting needed?

Bells
01-05-2014, 05:21 PM
Ian, I guess it's time to do as we discussed with John at the work party..

Order them for delivery saturday or when someone is available there to accept delivery into the container. Then we can work on swapping them en-mass before or after a sunday meeting.

As it stands I think they are to just place up and screw down. no cutting needed?

I don't have a key this year Neal , the other thing is they will only get delivered to the road side and I don't really fancy carting 6 8x4 sheets on my own , plus I don't have the go ahead to get this stuff ordered
Also if we are removing the old stuff first the new stuff will have to be piloted to the steel underneath , I'm not working fri,sat,sun and Monday possibly Tuesday as well ,

Oscar
01-05-2014, 10:58 PM
Maybe the best solution would be some 9mm ply to screw over the existing?
there is no issue with ordering what is "needed" for the club, both Steve and Dianne will fully support any spend which is necessary to keep the club going.
If we want to do this, I have a chop saw I could bring to make trimming to size easier. I'm happy to meet up one day when we are all free and get this job completed. :)

Oscar
01-05-2014, 11:01 PM
PS: Ian, I'm free tomorrow if you are, we could maybe complete this between us if weather allows?

Bells
02-05-2014, 06:10 AM
PS: Ian, I'm free tomorrow if you are, we could maybe complete this between us if weather allows?

Is about 11 ok with you

Danny Harrison
02-05-2014, 08:10 AM
No van for me this week or id shoot down n help.

Oscar
02-05-2014, 08:30 AM
Is about 11 ok with you
Should be able to. I'll message you so you have my number ;)

Oscar
02-05-2014, 08:42 PM
Rostrum had a refurb today, thanks Jordan & Ian :-)
Hopefully this will see us right for a few years. It would look much nicer with a coat of paint, so If anyone volunteers.........

NeilRalph77
02-05-2014, 09:24 PM
Well done lad's, I'm sure it'll be appreciated by more than will thank you, so thank you,