PDA

View Full Version : B5 or B5M


tdi250
14-04-2014, 09:06 PM
OK, so I'm a F4 standard driver and I'm trying to choose between the B5 or B5M, I race in the fiercely competitive, very well attended mid west region where its mostly astro but with some grass and other slippy bits.

I've heard that the rear motor car is very, very good and i'm wondering if it would be easier to drive for someone of my standard.

Basically I don't get much time for practise or fiddling with the car due to family and career so want something that I can throw down and it'll go well.

So what do people think?

Welshy40
15-04-2014, 05:46 AM
Its a no brainer. B5M and having a mid motored car will give you more all round making you far quicker.

tdi250
15-04-2014, 07:01 AM
Thanks Welshy. Have you driven either or both?

Big G
15-04-2014, 08:37 AM
A rear motor car is better suited to lower grip tracks whereas a mid motored car more towards high grip.

On (non sugared) dirt and sometimes wet tracks the rear motor car may have the edge, but for 99% of the racing we'll do in the mid-west the mid motor option should be better.

adey
15-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Buy both and don't tell the missus. Lol

Big G
15-04-2014, 11:58 AM
Buy both and don't tell the missus. Lol

A great option if you bought a B4.2 kit and converted it to a C4.2 as you can return to the proved B4 rear motor platform for lower grip situations :)

tdi250
15-04-2014, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestion big G. Albeit a somewhat expensive solution.

They say that the B5 and B5M use 90% the same parts so i wonder if it will be possible to convert one to the other without the need for buying two cars?

paulj
15-04-2014, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestion big G. Albeit a somewhat expensive solution.

They say that the B5 and B5M use 90% the same parts so i wonder if it will be possible to convert one to the other without the need for buying two cars?

From what I've seen I don't think that's a good solution as too many parts are changed between the two. Chassis, gearbox, battery clamp, rear tower, front tower and wishbones - possibly as I'm not clear if the gullwing arms and tower are in the B5M kit? Plus extra bodyshell and no doubt some bits I've missed will all add up to half a kit in cash terms. and it's not a 5 minute job to switch between them either.

Danosborne6661
16-04-2014, 11:08 AM
Get the B5M. It's a mid-motored car but designed to generate good traction... wouldn't waste your time with rear motor!

Big G
16-04-2014, 11:48 AM
to run the gulwing arms on a B5 or the straight arms on the B5M you need to swap the front shock tower too. Can't say why you need to, but they list them separately as different parts.

Big G
16-04-2014, 11:49 AM
From what I've seen I don't think that's a good solution as too many parts are changed between the two. Chassis, gearbox, battery clamp, rear tower, front tower and wishbones - possibly as I'm not clear if the gullwing arms and tower are in the B5M kit? Plus extra bodyshell and no doubt some bits I've missed will all add up to half a kit in cash terms. and it's not a 5 minute job to switch between them either.

no not the kind of swap around you'd want to do track side! was just saying you could if you wanted to :)