PDA

View Full Version : TM2 v2 build tips?


Chris Elworthy
13-05-2014, 09:12 AM
Just received my v2 kit and began the build can anybody offer any tips on the build? What needs threadlocking etc?


Chris

cocker7433
13-05-2014, 09:49 AM
Make sure you thread lock the screw going into the crown gear good thread lock and the screw going into the spare gear both sides

AmiSMB
13-05-2014, 09:59 AM
Or to make it bullet proof get the machined ring and pinion TS413 and the CVD TU0456 and that will make it much quieter as well. Use a small amount of thread lock on the screws in the front and read of the slipper assembly. Make sure that the screw that goes into the output up is not too long. Some kits had screws that needed to be ground down otherwise they touch the drive pin and the output cup can move around. I have not used thread lock anywhere else and it is fine as when the screws are tightened against the chassis the screw heads are held by the friction between the cf and the aluminium parts.

Chris Elworthy
13-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Cheers lads,

I started the build last night and going together nicely just moving onto the drivetrain and diff assembly now so was after a few tips.

In terms of diff oil what would you suggest for lower traction and high traction? I know people generally run a looser diff/lighter diff oil in low grip and tighter/thicker in high but what are your opinions in the tm2?
I ask as in previous cars I have owned I found the car to feel more locked In in low grip with a tighter diff which goes against the 'rules'

My first meeting with the car is on a very bumpy, relatively low grip shortened 1/8th track so all help would be appriciated.



Chris

Legacy555
13-05-2014, 12:51 PM
Cheers lads,

I ask as in previous cars I have owned I found the car to feel more locked In in low grip with a tighter diff which goes against the 'rules'



I agree with you.... I suppose you have to make your own 'rules' :thumbsup:

I found that 3 - 5k oil is similar to a tight ball diff..... but I must admit, once bumps are involved the ball diff is better.

Alot of people use up 30k oil once the surface is smooth....

Chris Elworthy
13-05-2014, 03:19 PM
I do have some 5k diff oil that I was going to begin with. I haven't used gear diff's before so it's all new to me.

Which ball diff fits the tm2 v2 gearbox?



Chris

AmiSMB
13-05-2014, 04:00 PM
Currently there is no ball diff that fits the tm2 v2 due to the gearbox casing change.

Legacy555
13-05-2014, 10:16 PM
Which ball diff fits the tm2 v2 gearbox?



Chris

T4 ball diff fits if you remove 1.4mm off the crown wheel with dremel or lathe

AmiSMB
14-05-2014, 06:36 AM
T4 ball diff fits if you remove 1.4mm off the crown wheel with dremel or lathe

Can you do that to the plastic or metal crown gear?

Clive Loynes
14-05-2014, 06:39 AM
T4 ball diff fits if you remove 1.4mm off the crown wheel with dremel or lathe

I currently have a lathe set up to do this but you would have to post the gear to me.

@AmiSMB I have done the plastic one for Mr Legacy and don't see why a metal gear would be a problem unless it is very hard.

Legacy555
14-05-2014, 12:21 PM
The only ball diff gear I know of from Team C is plastic.
Caster make a metal one which should suit the standard straight cut pinion.. but may need to be turned down also.

There is no helical ball diff gear suitable as far as I know.


I don't expect to have a problem in the 2wd with the plastic gear....

dicky14
14-05-2014, 01:09 PM
caster ball diffs work with a bit of fettling, i use them in one of my t4s, tried it in the tm2, dont like it!!!(andy style):thumbsup: