View Full Version : B5M top shaft side play
The Chef
11-06-2014, 08:21 PM
I've built my B5m and have 2/3mm play on the top shaft it's like the top shaft spacer is machined too short.
Does anyone else have this problem. I've had the gearbox apart and I've had it looked at by other AE guys and it's built right it would appear.
Ideas please.
paulj
11-06-2014, 08:41 PM
I've built my B5m and have 2/3mm play on the top shaft it's like the top shaft spacer is machined too short.
Does anyone else have this problem. I've had the gearbox apart and I've had it looked at by other AE guys and it's built right it would appear.
Ideas please.
Just buy a shim kit and take out the play thats what I had to do with my B5r and B5M I also shimmed the diff, I think the top shaft is 4mm? It is unlikely to be 2mm of movement? I think mine was 0.5mm max possibly 0.4mm in shims but it felt like loads of movement. it still has a little bit of movement but you don't want it binding and going tight.
MiCk B.
11-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Hi,
As said, just shim it out. Easier to add shims to remove play, then having it too tight from new and having to solve that problem.
FYI my B5m was the same, had to add a shim to the top shaft.
MiCk B. :-)
The Chef
13-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Problem solved. I got a new top shaft spacer and the new part it 2.5mm longer than the one that came in the kit so it looks like a machine fault.
Thank you for the replies.
alex97
13-06-2014, 03:59 PM
do you have a part number?
The Chef
13-06-2014, 05:27 PM
AS91426
alex97
16-08-2014, 09:38 AM
sorry to bring an old topic back up but has anyone tried the MIP top shaft?
if so is there any play whens that's fitted?
alex
RDG 40
16-08-2014, 11:11 AM
Just buy a shim kit and take out the play thats what I had to do with my B5r and B5M I also shimmed the diff, I think the top shaft is 4mm? It is unlikely to be 2mm of movement? I think mine was 0.5mm max possibly 0.4mm in shims but it felt like loads of movement. it still has a little bit of movement but you don't want it binding and going tight.
What kit would you use for a shim kit? (Part number)
Cheers
alex97
29-08-2014, 04:06 PM
I've just got the MIP top shaft and it eliminates most of the play and the quality is by far better than stock. I bought it new from a friend but when I looked in the UK I couldn't find one, they are only around £10 posted from the USA.
stegger
01-09-2014, 08:51 PM
http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php/spares/team-associated/b5/b5-mid-motor/ex1417-exotek-b5-alloy-flite-topshaft.html
:)
alex97
01-09-2014, 08:56 PM
Mines the MIP one.
stegger
01-09-2014, 09:17 PM
Mines the MIP one.
Yes I know that mate, I was just showing another option ;) M.I.P are distributed in this country by Schumacher so the M.I.P top shafts might come in via them soon but are not advertised on there site as yet ! HTH
grimidol
29-09-2014, 01:28 PM
Anyone have the shim size or link to where you can get them. Cheers
MiCk B.
29-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Hi,
These should do:
http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml_product.php?productId=0000007029
Fastrax Shim Set 10 Each (4x6x8x10mm)
MiCk B. :-)
grimidol
29-09-2014, 07:48 PM
Thanks
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.