View Full Version : Making a come back
Dougie
21-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Help!!!!
Looking at purchasing the losi 2wd 1/10th off road.
To get started as cost effective as possible
Please could I have the following recommended an where to purchase
Handset and receiver must be stick.
Servo
Motor - brushless I presume
Batt - lipo and charger
Thanks in advance
crompo
22-09-2014, 08:34 AM
Hi dougie. I wouldn't recommend a losi personally, not the best car tbh. Most tracks now are classed as high grip so a forward motor car is the car of choice atm. Either a team c tm2, xray xb4 2 or a Schumacher cougar kf. The mid motor cars are still capable of being quick it's just preference. As for the electrics there's not a lot of options for a good stick set. Budget is a core/etroniks set for around £80 ish. Mid range is a sanwa Gemini X for around £200 or top of the range is either the sanwa exzes z or a ko esprit 4 both around £450 mark. As for electrics it's whatever your budget can stretch too.
Everything you need you'll find from either mb models, je models or Insideline racing. All provide a very good service.
Good luck
Ps Yokomo do a good mid motor 2wd, Bmax. I know you liked your dog fighters. ;)
Gavin Collingwood
22-09-2014, 09:16 AM
If you're just starting out mate I'd recommend a mid motor car. All round cars decent in wet or dry. If you're just starting out driving a forwar motor car in the wet can be a challenge. Most people are starting to get a wet car and a dry car but that's a lot of money for most people. So I'd say any of the below;
Associated B5m top choice for value and quality and will run well out of the box £220
Team c tc02c evo. Good car and low price but will need a bit of setting up and adjustments £200
Kyosho rb6 rtr. Car and parts can be expensive
Dougie
22-09-2014, 09:23 AM
Hi dougie. I wouldn't recommend a losi personally, not the best car tbh. Most tracks now are classed as high grip so a forward motor car is the car of choice atm. Either a team c tm2, xray xb4 2 or a Schumacher cougar kf. The mid motor cars are still capable of being quick it's just preference. As for the electrics there's not a lot of options for a good stick set. Budget is a core/etroniks set for around £80 ish. Mid range is a sanwa Gemini X for around £200 or top of the range is either the sanwa exzes z or a ko esprit 4 both around £450 mark. As for electrics it's whatever your budget can stretch too.
Everything you need you'll find from either mb models, je models or Insideline racing. All provide a very good service.
Good luck
Ps Yokomo do a good mid motor 2wd, Bmax. I know you liked your dog fighters. ;)
I did like the dogfighters.... Lol ran a few in my time, my fave car was the the losi JRX pro LWB with the hydro clutch...
I am looking to buy for my lad who is 10, so dont want to go silly yet, to see whether he likes it and whether the gene pool has been good to him, as you know he has high standards to adhere to...
Was looking last year at the B4.1 RTR, as I sorry HE could be up and running at a good price....
I also see that a hell of a lot has changed in the 20 years+ I have been away from the scene. So I am a complete newbie...
I think we will pop down to goshen and have a chat with some of the guys there and maybe pick up a 2nd hand setup??? thoughts?
Haldenby81
22-09-2014, 09:50 AM
If ye wanting to go on a budget and don't need to go sticks ... And a mid motor is what you want, then why not get the team durango dex210 rtr comes with a 13.5t sp motor esc in as standered which is awesome for starting out with and only £165 the wheel ain't bad but ye can always change that at a later date, then charger http://www.modelsport.co.uk/core-rc-uac50-charger-12v-110-240v-6a/rc-car-products/365880 cheap and cheerful dose the job and then your own choice of bats real and your on your way for around £250 ;) they are great starter cars and a little set up and boom, plus ye can run it in mid or rear motor and two different hearings too for surface change
P.s there's away of making the car even better for indoor slippy surface too by cutting out a couple of bits and having your bat along the back instead of down the middle ;)
Chris Elworthy
22-09-2014, 09:51 AM
I agree that a conventional mid motor car would be better for your 10 year old son, they are stronger than the forward motor car's and far more versatile in which surfaces they will work on.
If you don't go down the RTR route there are quite a few good speedo/motor combo's available the best of which In my opinion is the Speed Passion Reventon R with a choice of motor for £75 quid from JE models which I think is a good deal for a decent brand.
As for car's, any of the current crop of mid motored car's would be perfectly good they are all pretty strong and efficient these days.
If you are interested in a cheap car to get him going I have a Team C TC02c that has only been run for 2 meetings for sale for £80 if you are interested? I'm just giving it a full rebuild before I sell it so it's tip top. It was my wet weather car but I just prefer running my forward motor car most of the time so it's available for cheap if you fancy it, just let me know.
Chris
iank55
22-09-2014, 10:57 AM
Was wondering who 'Dougie' might be so clicked view profile... Picture nearly killed me!!
How you doing? My dad tell me he sees yours in the gym quite often. I think he just goes in there for a natter rather than to exercise.
Pop down to the track and check out peoples gear before deciding what to buy.
Cheers,
Ian
Dougie
22-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Thanks Chris, I can see I have many nights of reading ahead, to get backup to speed. Thanks, and if I may post additional questions just to validate my thinking.
Cheers
Dougie
22-09-2014, 11:07 AM
Mr Kirkpatrick how the bloody hell are you fella.... are you racing again??? I think we should go hotshot V's Gallop one day again, what you say?
Gavin Collingwood
22-09-2014, 11:15 AM
I've hot a brand new servo you can buy if you need one.... £65
Dougie
22-09-2014, 11:18 AM
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/getuserimage.asp?t=&id=img32213_03022010191956_1.jpg
Chris Elworthy
22-09-2014, 11:41 AM
Feel free to ask anything, I returned to racing a couple of years ago and things have changed massively especially with brushless technology that's takes a bit of getting used to.
Once you do however you won't look back, no need for skimming coms and changing brushes just consistent power and zero maintenance
Chris
iank55
22-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Life is very good cheers Dougie.
I started racing again four or five months ago. Was bored and life revolving around work and kids so decided to do something for myself!!
Got my son a car too with a view to getting him into it as soon as he's interested but not looking good so far!
You could probably get enough for your gallop on FleaBay to get yourself set up with some modern gear.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kyosho-Gallop-MK2-Restored-Chassis-Vintage-Progress-Optima-/131290560214?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item1e9186f6d6
Cheers,
Ian
Maddy
22-09-2014, 02:23 PM
131299755932
Got this bmax for sale on eBay if your interested.
Can always meet up local or at the track.
Comes with some spares too.
Thanks
Dave
Si Coe
22-09-2014, 04:57 PM
A Gallop! Do you still have it? I had a Progress and loved it - I want one badly.
Anyway unless you REALLY need sticks my advice is go wheel. When I returned to RC my KO Esprit was dead and I looked into replacing it only to find decent stick radios cost £££££££.
Wheel radios are miles cheaper - as in you can get decent stuff with all the important features for under £100. If you've got to relearn anyway might as well learn a new controller and save money.
milesallen
22-09-2014, 05:22 PM
dougie
I decided yesterday to make a come back after 20+ years, went to the track to have a look with one of my ex-work mates who races. Got bitten and I decided on the TLR22 2.0 (because generally everything is pretty much to order from most suppliers and this was in stock)
Went brand new on everything bought all the gear to get back in set me back £900 for the car esc, radio etc i had nothing but a tamiya box spanner left. had to shop around 4 suppliers for all the stuff as nobody had everything in stock.
Probably look to buy some second hand gear too for a second car, waiting on the postman now to start building.
Gavin Collingwood
22-09-2014, 08:00 PM
A Gallop! Do you still have it? I had a Progress and loved it - I want one badly.
Anyway unless you REALLY need sticks my advice is go wheel. When I returned to RC my KO Esprit was dead and I looked into replacing it only to find decent stick radios cost £££££££.
Wheel radios are miles cheaper - as in you can get decent stuff with all the important features for under £100. If you've got to relearn anyway might as well learn a new controller and save money.
Sanwa Gemini X. End of. Doesn't cost ££££££££££
spennyy2k
26-09-2014, 10:09 AM
I'm selling my spare...
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?p=878233#post878233
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.