PDA

View Full Version : Xcelorin combo problems


dibble34
07-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Hello all.

I have the 4.5 combo and so far I have not had much luck. Had lots of interference and issues with a cogging affect. Anyway after moving everything around in the car and getting a Spektrum Receiver voltage protector I thought I was about there.

However 2 weeks ago it stopped working. Could not get the Speedo to work, when I powered the car on the servo for the wheels worked, but no joy from the ESC.

Tried another handset, different crystals, and a different 27mhz receiver. Still no joy. ( i had tried to sync it with the new receiver while holding down the red button when switching on until the yellow light appeared, but when I pulled the throttle, the light did not go green as it should. Also tried reversing the channel)

Tried a replacement sensor cable, no joy

I then tried the replacement receiver with my old brushed esc and motor, it worked fine!

So i flashed the Losi esc with the latest firmware, but still nothing. Could not sync it with my radio gear.

Sent it back to DMS (who were very polite and helpful) and they passed it on to losi. Losi advised no fault found to quote the job sheet " Tried everything to make it not work, but performed flawlessly!? Have re-loaded all the firmware and restored to factory settings and re-tested under extreme loading, no fault found. Returned".

Now it has not cost me for investigation by losi, but I have it back now with the same problem. It has already cost me £12 in p&P and i am not sure what else to try. I have a mate coming round tomorrow with his ZX5 RTR kit which has the same radio gear as me so was going to see if I could get it to see that. Failing that I will take it up the club Sunday and get some of the guys to try it with their radio gear, but i am not feeling confident.

Can anyone think of anything i may have missed? So far not overly impressed with the combo! If i do have to send it back again i will of spent so much on P&P that i may as well of go a Novak system :(

Thanks in advance
dave

Darren Boyle
07-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Dave, give Ryan a call at Horizon on monday morning since if they could not see the problem but for you it still exists then it must be somthing that is within the car/equipment. To be fiar as helpful asthe forum is you will only probably get lots of "possible ideas"etc but Ryam should be able to give you some clear and straight advice.. :)

As far as P and P making it as dear as a Novak, you have got a Loooonnnnggg way to go mate to catch that gap up, the Losi combo is £114.95, the Novaks are nearly £200 ;).......... (£85 in post, now thats a LOT of post :o)

dibble34
07-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Are you never off duty mate :) Cheers i will give him a bell.

Darren Boyle
07-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Just going home now....spent an hour on the phone to Chazz at X-factory talking work stuff, have got bloody man flu and feel crap :cry:, so time to call it a night and head home for dinner and sleep ..........

dibble34
07-11-2008, 08:11 PM
have a good weekend

Spencer Mulcahy
07-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Just a thought are you running a fet servo if so check the choke is ok.

dibble34
07-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Just a thought are you running a fet servo if so check the choke is ok.

Hi, not sure what you mean?

Spencer Mulcahy
07-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Does your servo have a blue wire that you conect to the positive on the battery the choke (a little capacitor) goes between the servo and the battery. This is for 7.2 volt servos only.

dibble34
07-11-2008, 08:24 PM
hi, no i don't have this, just the red, white & black wires

discostu
07-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Hello all.

I have the 4.5 combo and so far I have not had much luck. Had lots of interference and issues with a cogging affect. Anyway after moving everything around in the car and getting a Spektrum Receiver voltage protector I thought I was about there.

However 2 weeks ago it stopped working. Could not get the Speedo to work, when I powered the car on the servo for the wheels worked, but no joy from the ESC.

Tried another handset, different crystals, and a different 27mhz receiver. Still no joy. ( i had tried to sync it with the new receiver while holding down the red button when switching on until the yellow light appeared, but when I pulled the throttle, the light did not go green as it should. Also tried reversing the channel)

Tried a replacement sensor cable, no joy

I then tried the replacement receiver with my old brushed esc and motor, it worked fine!

So i flashed the Losi esc with the latest firmware, but still nothing. Could not sync it with my radio gear.

Sent it back to DMS (who were very polite and helpful) and they passed it on to losi. Losi advised no fault found to quote the job sheet " Tried everything to make it not work, but performed flawlessly!? Have re-loaded all the firmware and restored to factory settings and re-tested under extreme loading, no fault found. Returned".

Now it has not cost me for investigation by losi, but I have it back now with the same problem. It has already cost me £12 in p&P and i am not sure what else to try. I have a mate coming round tomorrow with his ZX5 RTR kit which has the same radio gear as me so was going to see if I could get it to see that. Failing that I will take it up the club Sunday and get some of the guys to try it with their radio gear, but i am not feeling confident.

Can anyone think of anything i may have missed? So far not overly impressed with the combo! If i do have to send it back again i will of spent so much on P&P that i may as well of go a Novak system :(

Thanks in advance
dave

I then tried the replacement receiver with my old brushed esc and motor, it worked fine!

could it be your other receiver have you tried your old brushed esc on the other receiver not the replacment.

tiny tom
08-11-2008, 04:34 AM
Is the light on the speedo staying yellow even when you try to set it up?
Does it load up on the software on your computer?
Because mine stopped doing that and I sent it straight back to the inports and they said that I had blowen somthing inside the speedo. But I even had trouble with it sunday, but that was down to my handset because I had only brought the new ko handset. But if you are still having trouble look up tyreman on oople, he knows about losi products and he helped me last sunday with my speedo and it is working perfect

dibble34
08-11-2008, 09:02 AM
hi all

Thanks for the replies. Yes the light stays yellow and does go green when i try and sync it to the receiver. I can access the ESC via my laptop however. I tried the original receiver and had problems, but will try again to be sure.

B4 Sloth
09-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Hi,
Am after settings that have worked and are still working in a 6.5t combo. I am using 3200 lipo in a yokomo Bx. I need someone running simlar cars/ set up.

Altough on normal timing, medium acceleration, the car becomes hesitant after initial acceleration. The lipo cut off set at 6.2v.

Help me please...sloth

dibble34
09-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Hello All

Just to let you know i tried another reciever and it worked. 3rd time lucky :) Just got to buy one now as i used a mates to test!

PS - Sloth i am still learning myself so can't off much help yet, sorry

B4 Sloth
10-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks any way!

discostu
10-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Hi,
Am after settings that have worked and are still working in a 6.5t combo. I am using 3200 lipo in a yokomo Bx. I need someone running simlar cars/ set up.

Altough on normal timing, medium acceleration, the car becomes hesitant after initial acceleration. The lipo cut off set at 6.2v.

Help me please...sloth


hey fella

ok if it was me i would set the acceleration to give maximum responce and increase the esc timing for it t be hesitant on acceleration the esc cant be seing the hall sensors in the motor at the correct point of timing ive yet to play myself with the losi esc but the princeple of the hall sensor and the three phase dc motor would sudjest there is some form of con flicting information.

stu rand

mark christopher
12-11-2008, 03:49 PM
2 mates had these both felt a lack of punch and other niggles, both now have nosram speedo and motor and no problems, looks like you pays your money and takes your choice.

Darren Boyle
12-11-2008, 04:30 PM
There is no problem with "lack of punch" with the Losi system, it has as much or as little as you want (and set it to have)........

B4 Sloth
12-11-2008, 07:38 PM
I have given up. Re- caliberated transmitter. Downloaded firmware. Reduced this and that and still gets hesitant. The first minute or so all is well, on a fully charged battery. Then it drops off. The batteries still have plenty of ummf, in fact last another ten minutes from this time.

On advice i have knocked back lipo cut off as far as possible (6volts is lowest it will go). Now what....I am not that stupid but am feeling that way.
FYI is the same for med acceleration/timing and the quick 'higher settings'.

Help:(

mark christopher
12-11-2008, 08:15 PM
There is no problem with "lack of punch" with the Losi system, it has as much or as little as you want (and set it to have)........
darren
thay could not get it as good as the nosram systems, infact one had to turn his power ratings down. they tried all the recemended settings on the losi system

im not saying the losi system is no good,, we did not feel it was a full blown race spec, more of a club system, thats reflected in the price, and for that price its dam good value

Darren Boyle
12-11-2008, 09:19 PM
I can only commetnon my own (I have three of them) one in my X6 which was "one" of the fastest/punchiest cars at our egionals this year (Mid South), another is in my T/C which has been on fire since I fitted it at our local club which gets a good turnout of drivers each week and everyone comment sthat it is one of the fastest cars on the track and the last oen is in my X5 which is equally as impressive. From my own experiences I have found them to be great and not just a "budget unit" but one that can mix it with the best.

discostu
13-11-2008, 04:43 PM
totaly agree with darren the losi system is as good as the others on the market plus you can give it your own personel touch. we had a simular situation with the mrt tsx esc a couple of years ago people were saying they wer not as punch as the vfs1 ko units but it was proven on the bench they were pretty much identicaland the feel was down to the ko been brutal on throttle responce as the tsx had twice as many responce steps thru the trottle range hense making it feel smoother but stil had as good maybe better power.

stu rand

Kababking
25-11-2008, 11:30 PM
I have a 3.5T and a 4.5T combo.
I am running Lipo 5000mah with 20c max- Yuntung or something..
My problem is that the speedo is cutting off if I put the pedal to the metal..
I am very pleased with the system with regards to programming etc, and I have concluded that it must be the battery who cant deliver enough amps to the motor. Anybody else has the same experience?

If I put the throttle to 80% it happens some times, but at 60% throttle never.
Should I just switch off the Lipo cut off, or set it to Nimh?

dibble34
26-11-2008, 12:20 AM
does it happen more the further the car is away from you? This is the problem i had. this was improved with a spektrum voltage protector. The other thing is to check is your acceleration setting, make sure it is not set to high.

Southwell
26-11-2008, 07:57 AM
We leave the acceleration as medium, i don't personally like low, and high isn't needed, i was pulling wheelies in 4wd on this setting.

MHeadling
26-11-2008, 09:54 AM
I'm suffering from the same problem, if got an pro x11 5.5 motor and when I gas it cuts out, you come off the throttle and it goes again? Seems like a voltage cut off coming in when your pulling some amps.

I was thinking of taking the lipo cut off off? I have the throttle at 80%

Any suggestions??

henga
26-11-2008, 11:02 AM
I've had this problem. I "fixed" it by reprograming with the "quick card".
It can happen whenever you try to reprogram the speedo, so sometimes
you have to reprogram it more than once. I sugest that when you program it give it a quick test before your next race.

MHeadling
27-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Iv sorted my one out, I have it set up on nimh and it doesn't cut out when you gas it, just got to be a bit carefull I don't run my trakpowers down too much when I'm practicing

Kababking
27-11-2008, 11:39 PM
But shouldnt Losi fix this with some software updates or something??

MHeadling
27-11-2008, 11:45 PM
I would have thought so, I'm glad it works!!!

MRD
27-11-2008, 11:47 PM
I had this same problem of cutting out and it does seem to be the voltage cutoff. I was having the problem when I had it in the 1/5 scale bike with a 3.5t motor + lipo, it just cut all the time, but now Ive got it in my 501x with a 6.5t motor and lowish gearing +lipo and its fine on the same settings. I forgot to change the setting to Nimh when I swapped to 6cells which bloxed my race, but that was my fault :lol:

The Doctor
03-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Hi guys, I've just installed an Xcelorin into my XXX-CR. (Hope it works fine after reading the comments posted on here...). Due to the height of the speedo (with fan), the bodyshell no longer fits onto the chassis very well (the holes in the rear of the shell no longer line up with the body pins on the chassis).

What do you suggest? Is there a replacement shell out there that will fit the XXX chassis better with this speedo installed?

Cheers,
Paul.

Darren Boyle
03-01-2009, 09:14 PM
(Just answered this in your other thread if its any help)

The Doctor
03-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Yep, got it, cheers. I race indoors off road on carpet so I'll try it with fan on first and then remove it if temps are OK.

Cheers.

Southwell
03-01-2009, 10:55 PM
I run without the fan in 2wd without any problems.

migsy
05-01-2009, 03:50 PM
your speedo has a cogging problem by the sound of it. try to speak to one of the lads with a GM speedo.

dibble34
15-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Hi All

Have another weird problem now. USB dongle has been replaced so that is sorted. My remaining problem is with Reverse! With the latest flash (D010128.LSC, it does not work. I have calibrated it many times, but when i have full reverse a red light appears on the ESC and occasionally it jerks forward. I have the Acoms 2.4 ghz wheel system, have tried the 2.4 setting and legacy. When i flashed the esc i reset to factory defaults and the read settings before making any changes. I even flashed it twice. Now here is the odd thing, i have reverted to the old flash (D110125.LSC) and after calibrating reverse works perfectly!:o

Any ideas?

captain-codpiece
21-01-2009, 10:02 PM
I bought an Excelorin 6.5 for xmas, and it was working fine over the hols, then developed a fault with the esc all of A sudden. Would just judder when throttle opened, and all the lights went a bit crazy. I sent it off to Horizon on the Tuesday, and it was back with me on Thursday, with a new esc! Truly excellent service, and it's been running fine so far. I am well impressed with the service, so just thought I'd share for anyone deep in thought over which system to get (like I was a few weeks ago!).

:D

The Doctor
22-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Is that you Lloyd?

Cassp0nk
22-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Hi All

Have another weird problem now. USB dongle has been replaced so that is sorted. My remaining problem is with Reverse! With the latest flash (D010128.LSC, it does not work. I have calibrated it many times, but when i have full reverse a red light appears on the ESC and occasionally it jerks forward. I have the Acoms 2.4 ghz wheel system, have tried the 2.4 setting and legacy. When i flashed the esc i reset to factory defaults and the read settings before making any changes. I even flashed it twice. Now here is the odd thing, i have reverted to the old flash (D110125.LSC) and after calibrating reverse works perfectly!:o

Any ideas?

known issue (now - me and snother oopler had a slog getting it recognised I can tell you). If you send it to horizon they can flash with 1.28 and it works, but the version on the website is borked somehow. Anyway they are looking into it.

dibble34
23-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the info, will see what happens. It works with the old flash so i don't think i will send to them. Can't risk not having it :)

Cassp0nk
24-01-2009, 02:27 AM
Thanks for the info, will see what happens. It works with the old flash so i don't think i will send to them. Can't risk not having it :)

Fixed firmware now on the losi site!

dibble34
24-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Fixed firmware now on the losi site!


Nice one :) Will give it a try over the next day or two.

Losi_110
28-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Hi I'm having the problem that a few people seem to be having in that with a Lipo (speedo works perfectly with Ni-Mh) the speedo has real glitching prolems, I've even tried running it on the Ni-Mh setting incase it was the cut out kicking in but it's still exactly the same :confused:. Has anyone actually sorted this problem? Would the new firmware help any as I haven't updated it as yet.

Pummy
28-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Fixed firmware now on the losi site!
I tried this on Thurs night last week, and last night and it was still showing me an issue with a missing reverse.

I have a 6.5T Sensored combo and Horizon emailed me to say to roll back to the old version.

Can someone who has done this please confirm if they have reverse after they reinstalled from the site?

JackWood in post...

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17524&page=4

Said a line would be put up saying the fix was up but I cannot see it :(

Cassp0nk
28-01-2009, 01:31 PM
I confess I haven't tried it yet as shell still away being painted.

However there is definitely a new firmware up, it has an 'N' appended to the end of the file name.

Pummy
28-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks Cassp0nk. I will give it a go tonight. The procedure I was advised of was
1) old PC software
2) reset to default
3) update with new firmware

Issue as told to me was that the V2 software was not able to update the ESC firmware. I will post back once I try it tonight

Cassp0nk
28-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks Cassp0nk. I will give it a go tonight. The procedure I was advised of was
1) old PC software
2) reset to default
3) update with new firmware

Issue as told to me was that the V2 software was not able to update the ESC firmware. I will post back once I try it tonight

Hmm thats not my understanding. I was told it was simply that the firmware file was originally corrupt which adds up as it was a different file length to the new one. They are pretty explicit in the instructions not to use the mk1 software with the mk2 firmware. Would advice caution on this...

Pummy
28-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Did what Horizon advised and it worked a treat.

This is the procedure I had followed. If you are going to follow this, I take no responsibility. If you have concerns please confirm with Horizon before attempting.

1) Remove all versions of the Losi software from the PC
2) Install version 1 of the PC software
3) Connect the ESC and reset to default settings
4) Apply firmware update v25
5) Apply firmware update v28
6) Uninstall from the start menu under START / Programs / Losi / Uninstall
7) Install V2 (filename = SetupV2.exe on the site)
8) Apply the new firmware file (filename D010128N.lsc)

I then setup profile 4 and 5 with differing throttle limits, Lipo LVC's and importantly REVERSE!!!.

I then tested both profiles, but I have yet to check the Advanced Quick Programming Card facility.

Overall I am happy. Have to say a big thanks to Glenn @ Horizon in the UK for the instructions. :thumbsup:

Pummy
28-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Hmm thats not my understanding. I was told it was simply that the firmware file was originally corrupt which adds up as it was a different file length to the new one. They are pretty explicit in the instructions not to use the mk1 software with the mk2 firmware. Would advice caution on this...

Hi Cassp0nk.

Understand completely what you mean by concern. The instructions on the site for the V2 software say that you can only run this once you have got to V28 firmware level. Specifically...

"Release Notes: For use with Firmware D010128N.LSC Version: 28 ONLY"

I read that to mean that use Mk1 to apply V25 and then V28, THEN install V2 of the PC software.

My previous post explained what I did in detail so if you think there is a possible issue, let me know if I can check anything and I can put up the information if needed.

Cassp0nk
28-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Pummy thanks. I'll follow your procedure if the v2 flash doesn't work for me. I guess the issue with v1 vs v2 is probably more on the settings/config front rather than the flashing front.

I really don't understand why we can't manually change the 3 factory profiles and have 5 we can mod. What's the point in forcing us to keep their default ones, which are also all for nicad?!

Medders
28-01-2009, 10:36 PM
I had one of these system, it performed really well on the track and I only sold it cos i sold my 4wd.

That said, I never managed to even install the software on my laptop. Just didn't work with my version of Vista. I'm no pc expert but no idiot either - installed it fine on a mates pc.

Its a shame Losi have spoiled what is a great piece of hardware by allowing someone to produce the software who is clearly well out of their depth.

Pummy
29-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Pummy thanks. I'll follow your procedure...
Let me know how you get on. If it works then maybe Admin can make it a sticky? Maybe even add the files needed to make sure we all have a good copy?

What's the point in forcing us to keep their default ones, which are also all for nicad?!
Probably because they have just added on an item into the PC program rather than rebuild the software to modify all the profiles available. So basically it was cheaper to do.

Pummy
29-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Just had a thought. You can use the std Nicd profiles but then use the AQPC to change the battery to Lipo. That would help you get around the nicd discharge issue.

Test it by loading up one of the std 3 profiles (1,2 or 3) then reprogram using the AQPC and then read off the PC to see what is shown.

I think the profiles are just stored areas of parameters which are loaded into a main area which is used on every power up. That might help you make use of them if they are any good.

I will try it tonight and provide feedback.

Cassp0nk
29-01-2009, 03:20 PM
The way the profiles work I believe is as follows :

- There is one 'active profile'. This is totally seperate to the 5 profiles you can select, and is the only one the controller ever actually uses.

- There are 5 saved profiles. 3 of which are defaults from losi and 2 of which you can modify. These are never used directly.

- When you select a profile, that profile is loaded into the active profile. i.e. you are never using a saved profile directly. You are simply loading it into the active profile.

- The QPC only modifies the currently loaded active profile.

So if you select a profile and then modify with QPC, the saved profile is completely untouched, what you have done is load it into the active profile and then modded that with the QPC.

The instructions are pretty poor explaining this (in fact they don't), but that is the only way of working that made sense to me from what little the docs said and my experience.

Danny McGee
31-01-2009, 05:30 PM
ok, so i finally thought it was time to update my losi software but i keep getting this message come up when i try to install V2

(see below)

Also i uninstalled all that and tried V1 again but it keeps coming up with unable to find drivers. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Oh yer im on vista (piece of W*n&, tw&t,A%r", program) and yes i am admin.

Southwell
31-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Delete and download it again, i got that first time.

markwilliamson2001
31-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Oh yer im on vista (piece of W*n&, tw&t,A%r", program) and yes i am admin.

Oh..you mean Windows Waste-a-spacester! Best thing you can ever do (if you have the cash of course is to get a mac, and stick parallels on it, with a copy of XP SP3.

DONE!

Danny McGee
31-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Delete and download it again, i got that first time.

Tried that about 4 times now, if i had a xp disc i'd just dual boot and do it that way.

Looks like i'm going to have to wait til im at a race meeting where someone has the software on a laptop :S, Vista = GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

i4n
31-01-2009, 09:18 PM
I had the same error message when installing on Vista too :thumbdown:

I just gave up and installed it on my XP laptop ;)

bert digler
31-01-2009, 09:20 PM
I had the same error message when installing on Vista too :thumbdown:

I just gave up and installed it on my XP laptop ;)

vista is pants:lol:what does it actually do:confused:

Southwell
31-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Tried that about 4 times now, if i had a xp disc i'd just dual boot and do it that way.

Looks like i'm going to have to wait til im at a race meeting where someone has the software on a laptop :S, Vista = GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

What laptop is it? I have a Dell cd which will install XP on any Dell without a code.

markwilliamson2001
31-01-2009, 09:43 PM
What laptop is it? I have a Dell cd which will install XP on any Dell without a code.

Tut tut Southwell....:o

The xp on a dell (i.e. a slipstreamed disc with drivers on it is fine), but no code....:o:o

thats naughty

Danny McGee
31-01-2009, 10:51 PM
I dont have a laptop anymore :( it went up in flames quite literally. THis is on my home PC, ta for the offer tho fella ;)

Anyone else got an idea of the fix?

Southwell
31-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Tut tut Southwell....:o

The xp on a dell (i.e. a slipstreamed disc with drivers on it is fine), but no code....:o:o

thats naughty

Uses the service tag off the laptop to determine what the code will take. You can legally downgrade to XP from Vista. ;)

Southwell
31-01-2009, 10:55 PM
I dont have a laptop anymore :( it went up in flames quite literally. THis is on my home PC, ta for the offer tho fella ;)

Anyone else got an idea of the fix?

I will take a look Monday at work if i can replicate/fix.

Cassp0nk
01-02-2009, 11:42 PM
Did what Horizon advised and it worked a treat.

This is the procedure I had followed. If you are going to follow this, I take no responsibility. If you have concerns please confirm with Horizon before attempting.

1) Remove all versions of the Losi software from the PC
2) Install version 1 of the PC software
3) Connect the ESC and reset to default settings
4) Apply firmware update v25
5) Apply firmware update v28
6) Uninstall from the start menu under START / Programs / Losi / Uninstall
7) Install V2 (filename = SetupV2.exe on the site)
8) Apply the new firmware file (filename D010128N.lsc)

I then setup profile 4 and 5 with differing throttle limits, Lipo LVC's and importantly REVERSE!!!.

I then tested both profiles, but I have yet to check the Advanced Quick Programming Card facility.

Overall I am happy. Have to say a big thanks to Glenn @ Horizon in the UK for the instructions. :thumbsup:

Finally finished the electrics in my car tonight. I just flashed the new bios without all these steps, reset the configs and it was fine. Works a treat!

Just need my shell back from Jon Miller and I'm set.