PDA

View Full Version : B5m bearing/ diff tight Qs


OneKiwi
27-10-2014, 08:19 AM
Hi

Was it only the front crush tube that was binding or something in the rear as well?

I have the M with gear diff and when I remove the pinion it doesn't spin/free roll as much as a club mates with ball diff.
I ahve refilled the diff and I noticed that the outdrives were pretty tight in the diff casing. Should they be tight?
I did remove all diff case inner bearings and blew them out and reoiled, that made a fair bit of difference, now the slipper shaft can spin freely unlike before.
But it still seems like something is too tight

My next option is going through the hub bearings and after that replacing all the bearings and trying again

Any tips or thoughts?

s22jgs
27-10-2014, 06:10 PM
Remove one shim from under each pin inside the case and lid.

andrewc
28-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Steve...long time no see...I'll be back soon! : )

Would removing shims stop gear diff leaking too? Mine has leaked since built; and was built very carefully. Considering using gasket sealant?!

OneKiwi
28-10-2014, 06:28 PM
Remove one shim from under each pin inside the case and lid.

I was thinking that as well. Ill try it with the next rebuild