PDA

View Full Version : Sunday 28th


Jim Birkitt
19-12-2014, 06:48 PM
On Sunday 28th is it going to be a normal race day?and is booking in required?

Oscar
19-12-2014, 09:34 PM
28th is our Xmas meeting.
We hope to run heats for vintage and have a caravan race :thumbsup:
We should have the room upstairs for pitting allowing maybe a touch larger track.
Pre Booking is not required, just turn up on the day :)

Haldenby81
19-12-2014, 09:36 PM
There's more or a friendly fun day at the Xmas meeting, aswell as normal race there is also Caravan racing which is good fun n everyone welcome to take prt in if u can come up with something http://youtu.be/LoHFmqHmB0Y if u ain't seen it before ;) and there's also a vintage class for any old skool 10th scale! Userly pitting is in the little hall upstairs and we have the track full size of gym then! You can book in on the day, and have some fun woop woop

TMRdevelopment
20-12-2014, 08:12 PM
Which venue is this meeting taking place at? Never raced at your club it seems you have a couple of venues? Would be interested in attending if there is enough practice to make it worth the trip

Haldenby81
20-12-2014, 10:06 PM
This is been held at whitecliffe mount sports centre, the batley buggy club indoor venue, the address is whitecliffe mount sports centre Turnsteads Avenue, Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire BD19 3AQ.... The track will be laid out the same day as the meeting so the only real practice will proberly be about 10mins before starting( depending on people helping to get the track laid) mixed surface of gym floor and carpet, nice balcony view of the track, always worth a trip out, track changes each week in all locations batley have ;)

Pank
21-12-2014, 08:24 AM
This meeting actually going ahead ?

J77MYF
21-12-2014, 09:07 AM
I'll be going. Looking forward to racing the Optima Mid again.

Aire valley
21-12-2014, 11:17 AM
This meeting actually going ahead ?

Yes...:thumbsup: .....the hall is booked and equipment has been sorted..!

Haldenby81
21-12-2014, 12:30 PM
This meeting actually going ahead ?

Yes this meeting is on, 10am - 6pm hopfully a few will help get the track out n laid so it can start as possible! Then the normal meetings are weekly apart from when chadderton is on, maybe the pairs meeting mighten be held again? Will ask if it ain't on the list ;) was another good meeting batley do :)

whites75
22-12-2014, 11:26 AM
are there tables n chairs or do we bring our own?

Haldenby81
22-12-2014, 12:00 PM
are there tables n chairs or do we bring our own?

Bring ye own table and chairs and extension for Leki

Ashlandchris
22-12-2014, 12:13 PM
Bring ye own table and chairs and extension for Leki

Looking forward to using my table and chairs. It is about the only thing I know how to set up correctly :thumbsup:

whites75
22-12-2014, 12:27 PM
Bring ye own table and chairs and extension for Leki
ok pal - cheers :)

AnnaLrg
23-12-2014, 03:16 PM
Hi, will the rostrum be next to the track on the same level, and is there space to pit on the same level as the track, as my husband uses a wheelchair and we need to know he has easy access to the rostrum before we travel over to the meeting.

Thanks

TMRdevelopment
23-12-2014, 04:35 PM
What tyres do most run around there? 2wd

neallewis
23-12-2014, 04:43 PM
What tyres do most run around there? 2wd

Yellow Pins or Spikes. Pins are generally faster overall, but edgy on the gym floor to carpet transition so some prefer spikes. Spikes are generally easier to drive.

WHITTLER555
23-12-2014, 05:23 PM
Hi, will the rostrum be next to the track on the same level, and is there space to pit on the same level as the track, as my husband uses a wheelchair and we need to know he has easy access to the rostrum before we travel over to the meeting.

Thanks

Hi Anna, they usually pit upstairs in a separate room and use the balcony on the same level as a rostrum.

I'm sure someone from the club will confirm?

I guess as long as Mark can get upstairs he just needs his car putting on the track at the start and finish of heats?

jameswilkinson7
23-12-2014, 05:32 PM
I think there is a lift in the building.

Aire valley
23-12-2014, 09:05 PM
Yes...the first floor balcony is used as the rostrum and, for this event, the pit area is on the same floor and pretty well adjacent so no problem there. The only problem could be seeing the track.! The balcony wall is solid and I guess, a metre high, so, for someone sitting down, they might not be able to see over the wall... A possible alternative would be to pit on the ground floor, there is a separate area adjacent to the track, and drive from trackside in the wheelchair.

Mike Parker
24-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Afternoon guys :)

Just a quick one to say I'll be in attendance with the shop, will have some new products on the table and a few special offers!

I won't bring in the full stock of tyres, but if any of you guys want me to bring any DBoots for the January Chadderton round so you can get them glued up ready for the morning, drop me a line before Saturday the 27th

MikeP

Oscar
25-12-2014, 10:52 AM
The building has specific disabled access at ground floor. I'm fairly certain that there is a lift to the upper floor too.
Once at that level, I don't think Mark will find driving any more difficult than anywhere else. (the balcony has a steel rail above the brick layer)

Danf1275
26-12-2014, 04:34 PM
Hoping to come along.

Would vintage class be open to any drivetrain?

Cheers,

Dan

Aire valley
26-12-2014, 05:20 PM
Hoping to come along.

Would vintage class be open to any drivetrain?

Yes.....we have run 2 and 4 wd before.....

Danf1275
26-12-2014, 09:24 PM
Excellent. Now then, Procat or Cougar? Decisions, decisions.

whites75
26-12-2014, 09:33 PM
at the moment judging from what's outside our window, its looking like a sledge for me, never mind the bmax ;)

Oscar
26-12-2014, 10:00 PM
Just been out in my "sledge" (245 tyres and rear wheel drive :o ) it's pretty rough up here but you can get by if the roads aren't full of halfwits :thumbsup:

I think it will all be cleared up by Sunday though :)

neallewis
26-12-2014, 10:28 PM
but you can get by if the roads aren't full of halfwits :thumbsup:

Now that is guaranteed

I think it will all be cleared up by Sunday though :)

Agreed. I can't make it sunday :-(

whites75
27-12-2014, 06:25 AM
Just been out in my "sledge" (245 tyres and rear wheel drive :o ) it's pretty rough up here but you can get by if the roads aren't full of halfwits :thumbsup:

I think it will all be cleared up by Sunday though :)

yep - the sledge works well 4foot rear wheel drive, also known as , two young kids pushing hell for leather :p

did you say half halfwits john ........Queensbury = Hillbilly Country ......yee haaaaa :p

Chris Elworthy
27-12-2014, 02:15 PM
Hi lads,


What time will we be able to access the hall? And what time is the first round due to start?

Thanks,


Chris

Oscar
27-12-2014, 04:43 PM
Doors open 10am.
First round will depend on how quickly we get set up. The more helpers we get with the track, the sooner we start ;)

AnnaLrg
27-12-2014, 06:47 PM
What is the race fee on the the day please.

Oscar
27-12-2014, 11:39 PM
I don't actually remember what we charged last year...
Don't quote me, but I'd estimate maybe £8 with a discount for juniors????

Haldenby81
29-12-2014, 05:24 PM
Great days racing and great atmosphere to boot! Roll on rest of the events :)

Danf1275
29-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Good days racing indeed. May have to review tyre choice before next outing - that floor is very slippery.

neallewis
29-12-2014, 06:10 PM
Good days racing indeed. May have to review tyre choice before next outing - that floor is very slippery.

I couldn't make it, but heard it was slippery. did anyone brush the floor before the track went down? it really helps. centre staff have a big floor brush which takes 5 min to push round while people are bringing in the track.

J77MYF
29-12-2014, 06:32 PM
I really enjoyed it too.

whites75
29-12-2014, 07:04 PM
other than being rear ended twice in the final I really enjoyed the day for my first time there, I stuck with spikes which were ok as i think others went with pins, to be honest for me it wouldn't have mattered what I had on round the bottom turns near race control as it was very slick for sure - look forward to the next meeting :)

Danf1275
29-12-2014, 07:18 PM
I'm pretty confident that full spikes on the Procat wasn't the optimun choice - I could hear them roaring round final corner from the opposite end of the hall.

Ashlandchris
29-12-2014, 09:55 PM
other than being rear ended twice in the final I really enjoyed the day for my first time there, I stuck with spikes which were ok as i think others went with pins, to be honest for me it wouldn't have mattered what I had on round the bottom turns near race control as it was very slick for sure - look forward to the next meeting :)

I ran pins all round, and other than the 2 big mess ups in an early heat (which you marshalled from), I really enjoyed the long bend at end of straight - the rm config for my Bmax was lovely to drive. If only I could have been quicker through all other parts of track I'd have been fine :lol:

Really enjoyed the day - even with my slow optima in vintage class, looking forward to the next

J77MYF
29-12-2014, 10:06 PM
I tried mini spikes and mini pins but I found pins to be far better. I think everyone was struggling for grip yesterday.

whites75
30-12-2014, 07:34 AM
I tried mini spikes and mini pins but I found pins to be far better. I think everyone was struggling for grip yesterday.

would new pins be better than worn spikes next time round if the conditions are the same or similar do you think?

Oscar
30-12-2014, 08:08 AM
I put decent spikes on Jon's car and he was way happier with it, improving by over a lap. I had only chance to do about 2 laps with it, but it felt pretty good to me.
I ran new pins in mine which were way too much up front, so I went to more worn fronts. I think the spikes were better on the slippy stuff, but the pins gained you a ton of time where there was carpet. So probably pins were ultimately a bit faster but harder to drive.

whites75
30-12-2014, 08:59 AM
ok cheers john, as my driving skill level is quite a bit less than most I guess I will give both a try next time in practice and see which I make the least mistakes with lol


I put decent spikes on Jon's car and he was way happier with it, improving by over a lap. I had only chance to do about 2 laps with it, but it felt pretty good to me.
I ran new pins in mine which were way too much up front, so I went to more worn fronts. I think the spikes were better on the slippy stuff, but the pins gained you a ton of time where there was carpet. So probably pins were ultimately a bit faster but harder to drive.

Chris Elworthy
30-12-2014, 10:20 AM
I also tried both minispikes and minipins and settled on pins in the end. The minispike tyres give a little more traction on the slippery floor but just don't hook up to the carpet very well at all, essentially making the entire track feel slippery.
I went to minipins on the rear of my TM2v2 with yellow cut staggers up front (pins on the front would be suicide with a forward motor car like mine!) and as john says I was able to make up a lot of time through the carpet section despite having to be a touch more careful on the slippy.

Another point is that minipins do tend to improve when they bed in and definitely felt that was the case with mine. Also don't be afraid to give yellow cut staggers a go indoors. Provided they are in a relatively new state they will give you the steering you need on a mid motor car along with being far more predictable to drive than pins on the front.

Just my thoughts,


Chris

whites75
30-12-2014, 11:10 AM
I also tried both minispikes and minipins and settled on pins in the end. The minispike tyres give a little more traction on the slippery floor but just don't hook up to the carpet very well at all, essentially making the entire track feel slippery.
I went to minipins on the rear of my TM2v2 with yellow cut staggers up front (pins on the front would be suicide with a forward motor car like mine!) and as john says I was able to make up a lot of time through the carpet section despite having to be a touch more careful on the slippy.

Another point is that minipins do tend to improve when they bed in and definitely felt that was the case with mine. Also don't be afraid to give yellow cut staggers a go indoors. Provided they are in a relatively new state they will give you the steering you need on a mid motor car along with being far more predictable to drive than pins on the front.

Just my thoughts,


Chris

hey chris - I noticed with the bury lads that cut staggers are used there and have always intended to try my yellow cut staggers indoors but never have done on my bmax2 mid motor car so will have to give them a whirl as well and see how they go for sure - I do have a tendency to go with other peoples suggestions which are great but I think I need to try things for myself as well as my driving style may suit a different tyre to what others use??

Chris Elworthy
30-12-2014, 06:41 PM
I'm one of the bury lads in question mate. Our indoor venue features very high bite carpet so running pins on the front consistently involves such a delicate driving style it's just not suited. Our slippy floor isn't quite as slippy as batley so cut staggers are ample for most people and transition between slippy/carpet well.
I've been setting up my forward motor tm2v2 for very low grip and have found at Bury slightly used yellow minispikes give more traction on the slippy floor whilst still having enough on the carpet.

This combo did not work at Batley due to the differing grip levels so as you can see it's not always as simple as having a 'setup for slippy', 'setup for grippy' as every track is different.

Something I always try to do is to keep staggers on the front of the car whether harder or softer compound over going to any sort of spike. Staggers are low profile in comparison to minipins/spikes so when you change to the chunkier tyres your suspension will behave differently as the chassis will droop more when running at the same ride height.

Just my opinion of course,


Chris

whites75
30-12-2014, 06:51 PM
so a good selection of tyres and decent practice time to try the different combos is way to go I guess to see what works for the track your on at that time

Richard Lowe
31-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Pins all round are what you want to be on at Batley indoors, brand new ones will be terrible on the hall floor and won't wear in by the end of the meeting - worn about half way down is about right.
I was trying to wear out some pins for Worksop, they were almost down to slicks and mine had plenty of grip :)

whites75
31-12-2014, 03:13 PM
Pins all round are what you want to be on at Batley indoors, brand new ones will be terrible on the hall floor and won't wear in by the end of the meeting - worn about half way down is about right.
I was trying to wear out some pins for Worksop, they were almost down to slicks and mine had plenty of grip :)

how do you guys wear them down enough so that they are right (apologies from a new minion like me) as the places I tend to go are batley, cullingworth and York which are all pretty slick tracks - as the only pins I have are brand spanking new ones.

Also does it matter if they are glued onto standard or slim wheels?

Ashlandchris
31-12-2014, 03:46 PM
danny has the best advice.

Danny Harrison
01-01-2015, 12:23 PM
how do you guys wear them down enough so that they are right (apologies from a new minion like me) as the places I tend to go are batley, cullingworth and York which are all pretty slick tracks - as the only pins I have are brand spanking new ones.

Also does it matter if they are glued onto standard or slim wheels?

York is a good place to scrub pins in as they start working quite quickly there. Once I think the tyre is in its prime i box em and start another set.
Aim is to always have some that will work, and manage scrubbing new pairs.

whites75
01-01-2015, 12:30 PM
York is a good place to scrub pins in as they start working quite quickly there. Once I think the tyre is in its prime i box em and start another set.
Aim is to always have some that will work, and manage scrubbing new pairs.

would it take the full session (3/4 races) at York to have them worn as needed pal?

Richard Lowe
01-01-2015, 10:40 PM
I saw people on Sunday holding the front of their cars and spinning the rear wheels on the ground to wear the tyres
This shouldn't be encouraged as it can burn grooves in the floor, it's also not very effective as you wear the spikes at angles the car would never wear them at... I always try to politely say something if I see people doing it (likewise cars stuck nose-in on a pipe and pinning the throttle out of frustration like a nob) as if we piss off the venue and get thrown out it ruins it for everyone.

Best thing to do is run them on carpet, as Danny said York works pretty well as there's usually enough carpet to give them some pain and the grip on the floor when new isn't too bad for the first couple of runs. A 100% carpet track is the ideal thing to scrub tyres for somewhere like Worksop I've found :)

Ashlandchris
02-01-2015, 08:33 AM
This shouldn't be encouraged as it can burn grooves in the floor, it's also not very effective as you wear the spikes at angles the car would never wear them at... I always try to politely say something if I see people doing it (likewise cars stuck nose-in on a pipe and pinning the throttle out of frustration like a nob) as if we piss off the venue and get thrown out it ruins it for everyone.

Best thing to do is run them on carpet, as Danny said York works pretty well as there's usually enough carpet to give them some pain and the grip on the floor when new isn't too bad for the first couple of runs. A 100% carpet track is the ideal thing to scrub tyres for somewhere like Worksop I've found :)

Great advice. I will remove my earlier post - sorry for mentioning it.

whites75
02-01-2015, 09:06 AM
This shouldn't be encouraged as it can burn grooves in the floor, it's also not very effective as you wear the spikes at angles the car would never wear them at... I always try to politely say something if I see people doing it (likewise cars stuck nose-in on a pipe and pinning the throttle out of frustration like a nob) as if we piss off the venue and get thrown out it ruins it for everyone.

Best thing to do is run them on carpet, as Danny said York works pretty well as there's usually enough carpet to give them some pain and the grip on the floor when new isn't too bad for the first couple of runs. A 100% carpet track is the ideal thing to scrub tyres for somewhere like Worksop I've found :)

thanks a lot Richard, will try and scrub some up at York I think then :) I know what you mean about people pinning the throttle when stuck on a pipe etc ......I have nearly burnt my fingers on peoples rear tyres a few times because they are revving the hell out of the car as I pick it up to get it back on track racing, maybe my fault but because I try to get cars back on as fast as poss when I grab hold of the car, but then again until the car is back on track it isn't going anywhere so no point revving until its back on track