PDA

View Full Version : iPhone - 2.2 broken 3G?


Richard Lowe
24-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Has anyone else updated their iPhone to 2.2 yet and had problems with the 3G connection and general bad signal strength? I did mine as soon as it was released (hoping they'd fixed the Safari crashing) and now get really bad signal; quite often 'no service' and no 3G connection at all :thumbdown:

I thought Apple stuff was supposed to 'just work' :confused:

Dunc
24-11-2008, 10:59 PM
I've been unable to fetch my emails over GPRS since the 2.2 update (WiFi is fine though - not had a chance to try 3G yet).

On the plus side, battery life seems to be much improved (at last) :thumbsup:

pro4nut
24-11-2008, 11:05 PM
having been an employee of o2 and still knowing a number of people still working for them the 3g network of o2 is weaker than the others by far. when running the handset in 3g mode it always seeks 3g network and this can cause lost signal.
with a standard gprs or gsm 2g connection the handset can maintain reception up to 27km from a base station in optimum conditions however when using 3g this is effective range is reduced to 5-9km. The 3g module is also less capable of routing multiple users and this can result in reduced coverage and download speeds.

If you want any more dull info let me know.

Richard Lowe
24-11-2008, 11:15 PM
The iPhone is pretty poor for for reception itself too afaik, but what isn't working now was working before I updated to 2.2. Funny thing is it worked fine for a day or so, now it doesn't...

You can enable 3G in the menu fine, but it won't pull up a list of currently available providers which it will with 3G turned off.

Dunc
24-11-2008, 11:16 PM
I just switched off 3G (no/very weak coverage at home anyway) and now I can fetch my emails again over GPRS - thanks!

More dull info please :thumbsup:

having been an employee of o2 and still knowing a number of people still working for them the 3g network of o2 is weaker than the others by far. when running the handset in 3g mode it always seeks 3g network and this can cause lost signal.
with a standard gprs or gsm 2g connection the handset can maintain reception up to 27km from a base station in optimum conditions however when using 3g this is effective range is reduced to 5-9km. The 3g module is also less capable of routing multiple users and this can result in reduced coverage and download speeds.

If you want any more dull info let me know.

Richard Lowe
24-11-2008, 11:22 PM
I've got a dull info request actually, with the icons at the top left what ties to what connection? Obviously '3G' is 3G, and the wifi logo is wifi, I gather 'E' is edge, but what's 'O'?

Sorry if thats a silly question but I can't find them listed anywhere!

pro4nut
24-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Will have to get back to you on that one, will give one of the lads a call. I now work for T mobile so i'm a little out of date.
This may sound silly but have you tried the handset in differant locations. For piece of mind outside of an o2 store is often a good choice as they have booster units fitted to make sure the handsets work when customers come in.

Dunc
24-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Rich, I'm pretty sure the 'O' is for GPRS.

I've got a dull info request actually, with the icons at the top left what ties to what connection? Obviously '3G' is 3G, and the wifi logo is wifi, I gather 'E' is edge, but what's 'O'?

Sorry if thats a silly question but I can't find them listed anywhere!

DaveG28
24-11-2008, 11:34 PM
The 3G signal where I work fails every now and again. It shows 3G on the phone but you have to disable it to get any data at all. Everyone where I am with the iphone finds the same!

Richard Lowe
24-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Cheers Dunc, either way according to a speed test app it's sh!t slow!

Thanks for the info Wayne :)

jim76
24-11-2008, 11:36 PM
u square Wayne!! lol

Richard Lowe
24-11-2008, 11:38 PM
This may sound silly but have you tried the handset in differant locations. For piece of mind outside of an o2 store...
I'm going to go down tomorrow after work for a natter, I'd like to know if you can downgrade firmware - if I go back to 2.1 that eliminates software and points to if the phone is faulty of not.

Picking the 'restore' option in iTunes it just warns you it's going to reset to factory settings, which I assume is the same as doing the data wipe on the phone itself. I was expecting it to give you a list of backups to choose from ala windows system restore.

pro4nut
24-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Yes the o is gprs.
Restore is quite terminal in that you will go back to box fresh settings and will also lose any apps you have installed.
Opinion is quite divided on the latest i phone sadly the uk network does not fully support the 3g functionality, in fact ofcom have taken o2 to task over there lack of developement of 3g infrastructure.
I used to advise all customers to disable dual mode function and revert to gsm only, this applies to all handsets, and actually works with other networks, especially my own pet hate the N series.....

Darren Boyle
25-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Oi leave my N series out of this Mr Elliott!!!! (LOL)

Richard Lowe
25-11-2008, 12:01 AM
Will it restore the phone to the origonal 2.0 firmware or just keep 2.2 and wipe everything?

I have the apps backed up in iTunes, I can't find anywhere in stupid arse backwards iTunes that mentions where my contacts are backed up though which I'm most bothered about.

Thanks again for the info :thumbsup:

Dunc
25-11-2008, 12:18 AM
iTunes will sync your contacts with a local program such as Outlook.

I'm just using the "Windows Contacts" program built in to Vista.

Richard Lowe
25-11-2008, 12:29 AM
iTunes will sync your contacts with a local program such as Outlook.

I'm just using the "Windows Contacts" program built in to Vista.

I've just found and enabled that in iTunes, should be go for a restore if all else fails :)

ben
25-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Has anyone else updated their iPhone to 2.2 yet and had problems with the 3G connection and general bad signal strength? I did mine as soon as it was released (hoping they'd fixed the Safari crashing) and now get really bad signal; quite often 'no service' and no 3G connection at all :thumbdown:

I thought Apple stuff was supposed to 'just work' :confused:

Shouldnt of got an iphone! :thumbdown::) Does the i-phone have a good video camera on it? And what's the picture messaging like?

kyoshosteve
25-11-2008, 12:55 AM
now now dont be bitchy ben:woot:

ben
25-11-2008, 01:00 AM
now now dont be bitchy ben:woot:

hehe:D The i-phone sounds ace though :thumbsup: youtube... well if you can get a wifi signal.. slim chance :lol:

Richard Lowe
25-11-2008, 01:16 AM
Shouldnt of got an iphone! :thumbdown::) Does the i-phone have a good video camera on it? And what's the picture messaging like?
I have no idea, I don't use either! :p

_sleigh_
25-11-2008, 08:19 AM
rich, from the apple site you should be able to download previous firmware releases then from within iTunes you use the restore option. The key to the restore is to hold down the Alt key (I think, could be shift or ctrl) when pressing the restore button, as this allows you to select a specific firmware file.

Hope that makes sense, I'll try it at work and let you know the exact procedure. .

Southwell
25-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Picture messaging is only by email and the camera sucks.

Im suprised you have signal problems though, when my mate got the upgrade his signal and battery life got better 5 fold.

_sleigh_
25-11-2008, 09:10 AM
Here you go Rich,

Previous firmware releases - http://limitededitioniphone.com/where-can-i-get-an-old-iphone-firmware/

Within iTunes, navigate to the restore section then click the restore button with SHIFT held down. You should be prompted for the location of the firmware file (as downloaded from above).
This option isn't always available depending on the version of iTunes you have installed, perhpas try downgrading to v8.0.

Lee
25-11-2008, 12:31 PM
hehe:D The i-phone sounds ace though :thumbsup: youtube... well if you can get a wifi signal.. slim chance :lol:

It is ace :thumbsup:

And media messaging will be available soon i am told :thumbsup:

Northy
25-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Cheers Ted :thumbsup:

G

Lee
25-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Do you have my wallet :confused:

Northy
25-11-2008, 01:06 PM
No Ted, where did you loose it? :woot:

G

Lee
25-11-2008, 01:07 PM
If i knew that i would know where it was wouldn't i cock nose

ben
25-11-2008, 01:21 PM
You took it out of the hotel didnt you lee?

Northy
25-11-2008, 01:24 PM
If i knew that i would know where it was wouldn't i cock nose

I know that Ted, didn't you see the ----> :woot:

I don't have it, it wouldn't fit in my car :lol:

G

Lee
25-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Yeah ben i used it sunday and yesterday morning.

I was going to use northy's in the meantime, but im not a fan of cobwebs and moths :lol:

ben
25-11-2008, 01:28 PM
Yeah ben i used it sunday and yesterday morning.

I was going to use northy's in the meantime, but im not a fan of cobwebs and moths :lol:

hahaha! cobwebs on the shillings? :woot:

Northy
25-11-2008, 01:29 PM
I was going to use northy's in the meantime, but im not a fan of cobwebs and moths :lol:

Hahaha, Ted, very funny. :woot: I 'made' money on Sunday ;)

G

Lee
25-11-2008, 01:31 PM
When are you not making money, selling dodgy cars on oople :o

You are the new mr disposable income;)

Northy
25-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Hahaha, funny Ted, very funny. Is that cos you don't have any money now Ted?

G

Lee
25-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Just cant get too it, unless i go to the bank, and thats in cyprus :woot:

Northy
25-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Ted, you know that's a bit silly Ted, how are you going to pay for the flight ticket there Ted to get some Ted? :confused:

G

Richard Lowe
25-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Here you go Rich,

Previous firmware releases - http://limitededitioniphone.com/where-can-i-get-an-old-iphone-firmware/

Within iTunes, navigate to the restore section then click the restore button with SHIFT held down. You should be prompted for the location of the firmware file (as downloaded from above).
This option isn't always available depending on the version of iTunes you have installed, perhpas try downgrading to v8.0.
Thanks Phil, I'll give that a try after work :)

Lee
25-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Ted, you know that's a bit silly Ted, how are you going to pay for the flight ticket there Ted to get some Ted? :confused:

G


I have a new card on the way, i also heve some "under the matress " :lol:

so i have some to keep me going till friday :thumbsup:

Northy
25-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Ted, is your mattress now like a foot lower Ted? :confused:

G

Lee
25-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Than yours yeah :thumbsup:

Northy
25-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Poor Ted :(

ben
25-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Ted, is your mattress now like a foot lower Ted? :confused:

G

What when tED sat on it :confused::woot:

Lee
25-11-2008, 04:53 PM
I have one of those tempur matresses ben, they dont really squash :woot:

ben
25-11-2008, 04:54 PM
I have one of those tempur matresses ben, they dont really squash :woot:

haha:thumbsup: Get a water bed... there ace. Im not aloud one though :thumbdown:

Southwell
25-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Super king size is where it's at. :thumbsup:

Northy
25-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Super Size Ben? :confused:

Hi Ted.

G

ben
25-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Super Size Ben? :confused:

Hi Ted.

G

yarhh

Hi t ed

Lee
25-11-2008, 05:10 PM
I dont like water beds :thumbdown:

Mine is super king :thumbsup:

Yeah baby :thumbsup:

ben
25-11-2008, 05:13 PM
yeahhhhh baby :lol:

Northy
25-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Yeah Ted :)

ben
25-11-2008, 05:22 PM
T
E
D

Northy
25-11-2008, 05:24 PM
TED.

ben
25-11-2008, 05:26 PM
T E D TED TED TED TED TED TED TED TED TED TED TED TED TED

Richard Lowe
25-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Meanwhile back on topic...

O2 said they've been having network blackouts in the area while they update stuff. It worked fine in the o2 shop and the transmitters near me seem to be working again now :)

CLARKSON
26-11-2008, 08:34 AM
MEANWHILE.........

Wraggy
26-11-2008, 08:46 AM
haha:thumbsup: Get a water bed... there ace. Im not aloud one though :thumbdown:
me and the Missus used to have a water bed, but we drifted apart !:woot::woot:
ba bum tssshhhh !! , thanks im still here all week

Lee
26-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Did you WAVE good bye to her :woot:




I'll get my coat :eh?:

Southwell
26-11-2008, 09:10 AM
Could you SEA her from over the wave?

Taxi. :p

Northy
26-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Did you WAVE good bye to her :woot:

Very funny Eddie :thumbsup:

G