View Full Version : Re-Joining the Family!
MHeadling
26-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Hi Guys, I have taken the plunge and bought myself a 4 Gear X 6 conversion from DMS today. I did have a 3 gear car I bought second hand from Oople and liked it but it was a bit tatty and moved it on but I fancied another and im going to convert my B4 over.
Just wanted to say thanks to Darren for all his help and advice, cant wait to get building it up.
On Darrens advice I bought the E speed camber links and a K factory from tower.
I will be ordering the Axles and the T brace when they are back in stock ( tomorrow 27/11/08 ).
I have ray speed rear hubs on my B4, will i need shorter turnbuckles using the E speed mounts?? if so does any one have the associated part number?
Any other build tips before I get on with the build??
Hi mark
Why going for the x6 as you were running the B4 at the MK GP. Now after one my self. So looking for a cheep b4 or a x6 to convert or update. so keep your eyes and ears open. Looking foward to next week. Will you be running in 2wd now
I will call you later tonight about yokomo bits.:thumbsup:
MHeadling
26-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Hi Paul, Just fancied a change really mate, had the B4 for 4-5 years, my old 3 gear X6 went well so wanted to try a 4 gear version and convert my B4 as it has lots of nice bits, Rayspeed hub, trinity LW slipper, K Fac front bulk head, SS screw set, so it should make a nice X6.
Spud may have a set of losi shocks for me so happy days!!
Still happy with the Rb5 so want to run that. I thing i have not got the best from it yet. Car is very good as a standard kit
Richard sent the losi esc back so waiting for that to be replaced.
super__dan
26-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Carefull with shock limiting and driveshafts coming out of the diff until you get the new axles. The stock turnbuckles fit the outer hub hole when used with the E speed camber link mount (run it always) but you'll need shorter ones for the middle hole (on stock B4 hubs).
Treat the tranny to at least new idlers and diff gear and new to worn sound terrible. I'd consider a top shaft too unless it's very new but I guess you can try it and see how it goes.
I MUCH prefer the whole Losi slipper assembly however Ellis seems to go pretty fast on the B4 one ;) You'll need a 78 (or smaller) spur though!!!
Darren Boyle
26-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Mark,
Ther eis a nice cheap XXX4 just gone in the for sale section on here (if you still want some Losi shocks like we spoke about)
Cheers, Darren
MHeadling
26-11-2008, 06:24 PM
cheers for the heads up on the Losi xxx 4, I'll give u a ring in the morning about a 78 spur, I'm sure you'll have one instock??
Spencer Mulcahy
26-11-2008, 06:24 PM
I thought the rears on the 4wd Losi where to long for the X6. I run mine with the associated shocks and I think it is OK I have never run the Losi shocks so I cant compair.
Darren Boyle
26-11-2008, 06:37 PM
The XXX4 shock are shorter on the rear compared to the XX4, hence these (or XXX) are the ones to have
Spencer Mulcahy
26-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Interesting.
Body Paint
26-11-2008, 10:30 PM
I built mine off a very old B4 box. No new parts and it sounds sweet.
Don't forget Dan, you somehow have a knack of making cars sound like tractors.... remember that B3? :lol: Having said that your X factory cars sound proper smooth
MHeadling
01-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Iv nearly built my car up, just got elecs to do.
Just had a couple of Q's:
What associated turnbuckles do you use when using e speed hangers as my ones are too long! part no would be great.
I am using Ray Speed rear hubs, what hole do you have the ball stud in??
I have mounted my servo as per kit, is there a benefit to mounting it with the B4 alloy mounts apart from it look better?
I see on Big E's car he has bolted the wing to the wing mount, I just wondered what washers they were??
1) i cut a couple of mm off each end of the std ones and also a couple of mm off the losi ball cups.
2) Outer
3) It looks pretty and i think its a stronger/ more reliable fit.
4) They are the spacers that go on the rear axle on the b4, thats what mine were anyway
Hope that helps :thumbsup:
MHeadling
01-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Yes thanks for your help Lee, I am not using losi ball cups, the associated ones.
I have tried it in the outer hole on the hub (nearest wheel) and when you raise the suspension it pops off the link as the ball cup hits the hub,shall I put some spacers under the ball stud??
I will get some of the B4 spacers and drill the wing mounts, thanks for the tip.
I will have a go at mounting the servo with the B4 posts, just got to make sure i drill the holes in the right place!!
you have to file away the inside edge of your nice new shiney rear hubs, so you can get full travel without it popping off ;)
Darren Boyle
01-12-2008, 05:25 PM
you have to file away the inside edge of your nice new shiney rear hubs, so you can get full travel without it popping off ;) And a "little" "V" nick out of your ballcup doesnt go a miss either without losing any strength.....
MHeadling
04-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Just a bit of an update, iv done the V nick in the ball link and it clears the hub now, luckily I didnt have to take a file to my Rayspeed hubs! cheers Darren!
I am going to put the servo in with the B4 alloy servo posts, just a question,
Do you dremel out the raised area on the chassis where the losi style posts fit into and mount the servo flat on the chassis?
Also any tips on the best way to mark the holes before drilling them?
Do you try and get the servo as far forward as possible?
super__dan
04-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Yes to dremel the redundant servo mount bits out, shouldn't need to take any of the material at the front though since the chassis mould got modifies a while back.
In my opinion mount the servo in a convinient place so that the steering link for the horn you use means the link operates in a straight line for the most linear steering. I use the stock AE one on mine, it means there is room left behind the servo for tucking away wires.
MHeadling
08-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Got the servo drilled and put in, looks cool! iv got some room for lead if needs be behind the servo.
I have bought the E speed T brace and also a DMS Shimz set, which thickness shim would be a good starting point??
The car looks pukar, cant wait to run the 4 gear and see what it goes like!
super__dan
08-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Ellis runs lots of anti squat (fast), I run much less (safe). Think Ellis runs 4, I run 1. Car will be good either way ;)
MHeadling
08-12-2008, 12:49 PM
so what does that relate regarding the shim size??
Paul_Sinclair
08-12-2008, 01:12 PM
More Antisquat = less shims. Its roughly that no shims = 5 degrees, and every .030" (.76 mm) is a degree. That makes .150" (3.81 funny units :p) 0 degrees of antisquat.
super__dan
08-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Mark, I've got the older ones but they should be marked what antisquat they relate to by how many holes/notches they have in them
Body Paint
08-12-2008, 05:30 PM
More Antisquat = less shims. Its roughly that no shims = 5 degrees, and every .030" (.76 mm) is a degree. That makes .150" (3.81 funny units :p) 0 degrees of antisquat.
That'll be millimeters Paul.... one day you guys n gals will catch up with the rest of the world :lol:;)
MHeadling
08-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Cheers for the Help Dan and Paul, I have not opened the packet to have a look yet to see if they are marked up, i am sure they must be.
Is this a common adjustment to make on the x6 after shocks,spring/oils??
YoungChazz
09-12-2008, 12:55 PM
I've always been amazed that you proud Brits were so cowed by the French that you gave up your wonderful system of measurement. I think it's fun working with what we still call the "English" system.
And what did you get for your trouble? Not even a bottle of wine. Next you'll convert to the Euro...
Northy
09-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Next you'll convert to the Euro...
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
Nice post Chazz ;)
G
Looking at the state of the pound, i dont think it will be too long either. :cry:
We might as well start wearing clogs, lederhosen,and hanging onions round our necks now :woot:
Body Paint
09-12-2008, 01:40 PM
I've always been amazed that you proud Brits were so cowed by the French that you gave up your wonderful system of measurement. I think it's fun working with what we still call the "English" system.
And what did you get for your trouble? Not even a bottle of wine. Next you'll convert to the Euro...
:lol::lol::lol:
Northy
09-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Looking at the state of the pound, i dont think it will be too long either. :cry:
We might as well start wearing clogs, lederhosen,and hanging onions round our necks now :woot:
Are you not supposed to be on a plane Edward? :eh?:
G
Northy
09-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Yes :cry:
So why aren't you? :eh?:
G
Got to go to mexico later for "talks" and ill be back tomorrow or thursday, the contract has gone tits up ;)
usafaircrew
09-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Sorry to see you couldn't make it here Lee!:mad:
Northy
09-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Got to go to mexico later for "talks" and ill be back tomorrow or thursday, the contract has gone tits up ;)
Meh-hi-ho? :eh?:
G
thats where the platform was due to spend its first year. I CBA really :lol:
Northy
09-12-2008, 03:03 PM
So do you have 2 spare tickets now? :eh?:
G
Darren Boyle
09-12-2008, 03:07 PM
I doubt it!! Lee's plane is in the air right now AFAIK unless you intend to "superman stylee" catch it up G......
I doubt it!! Lee's plane is in the air right now AFAIK unless you intend to "superman stylee" catch it up G......
G is tight enough to be able to catch it if it was free, I dropped a 50p the other week, he bent down to pick it up and it hit him on the back of the head :lol:
Northy
09-12-2008, 04:15 PM
G is tight enough to be able to catch it if it was free, I dropped a 50p the other week, he bent down to pick it up and it hit him on the back of the head :lol:
You guuuuuyyyyyssss :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
G
General Accident
09-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Dunno if I'm more interested in X6's or hearing about the delights of Mexico, but to get back on topic, what's a good "base" setting for the shims? I'll be running indoor mainly on carpet.
Paul_Sinclair
09-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Ellis runs lots of anti squat (fast), I run much less (safe). Think Ellis runs 4, I run 1. Car will be good either way ;)
E may over-ride this statement, but to me antisquat is kind of a good "feel" adjustment; that is, adjust it more to suit your driving style than to conform to a particular set-up. As Dan said earlier (quoted) you can go more antisquat (less shims) to be more aggressive (rear end is a little looser) or less antisquat to be "safer". It's an easy adjustment to change, so I'd suggest start "safe" (like 1 or 2 degrees) and in practice try going to like 4 or 5 and just see how it feels to you.
usafaircrew
09-12-2008, 10:27 PM
Paul, I just came from the Clash track.... INSANE. They changed a few things. It should be tons of fun.
Paul_Sinclair
09-12-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm flying down tomorrow, really looking forward to it! Can't wait!
usafaircrew
10-12-2008, 12:46 AM
I will be at the track fairly early to get some practice. See ya there!:D
kropy
10-12-2008, 03:20 AM
I'm flying down tomorrow, really looking forward to it! Can't wait!
Your bodies are flying down as well........LOL
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.