PDA

View Full Version : B5m for winter.. Anything I need to know?


Chris Elworthy
30-07-2015, 11:35 AM
Hi lads,

I've picked up a B5m to run through the winter, mainly indoors on slippy tracks with the odd outdoor astro venture. Can anybody share any pointers with regard to setup? I'm talking particularly about how you have managed to dial more entry/exit steering into the chassis as I'm aware it can struggle for turn in.

Any info on your experiences will be useful, what brakes, what do I need to keep on top of maintenance wise etc.

Thanks

Chris

archtech
30-07-2015, 01:56 PM
Hi Chris, ive had problems with lack of stearing. I have found that setting the rear camber link ball joints in to the body, hope that makes sense I dont normaly write about possitions. Offset front bushing also seemed to help, care if you buy some the price of them range from 4 to something line 10 if I remember correctly. Cutstaggers on the front work well for me. Hope this helps.

Stickygeko
31-07-2015, 02:12 PM
I use my b5m indoors on carpet (not used it on mixed surface y et), outdoors astro and grass... ive got 5° caster, 30° kick up i added a roll bar to the rear this stops the body roll and has helped me loads. Following the advice of pitman ed, i have added a 40g brass bulkhead to the car which really helps tuck in and rotate in the corners. im not a good driver, normally top of B bottom of A finals and people who have seen my car have commented on how well it handles and those who have had a go with it have commented on how well it handles and how Easy it to drive... oh and I found my car to handle better with the front shock tops on the out edge of the tower it's all personal preference and people driving styles differ

alex97
31-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Try using the straight front wishbones, I found that they helped a lot. The avid and schell (not sure how to spell it) slipper is also a very good upgrade.

Gupz
31-07-2015, 02:34 PM
The brass bulkhead will help initial turn in, but you'll need to up your rear shock oil to stop the car over rotating.

For winter, I'd take all the extra weight out of the car. soften the springs all round and just make sure your tyres are good.

The standard 4 gear gearbox will be better on a slippery track as well.

Chris Elworthy
31-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Cheers for the advice lads I will give a few things a try. May run the car on grass at the NW regional on Sunday and see how I get on.


Chris

Stickygeko
01-08-2015, 12:31 PM
I'll be at the nw regionals too if you fancy a blast with mine just come find me paul calf

Chris Elworthy
01-08-2015, 03:45 PM
Gave the car a blast around Bury this morning and was very impressed for a kit setup. Car felt lively on the front end without feeling edgy unlike the YZ2. It's hard to tell without timing but it felt as quick as my TM2v2 which I Qualified 2nd overall with at the regionals last year.

There's a few things I'm going to work on to improve it but a promising start.


Chris