PDA

View Full Version : tm2 front wishbones


big red bus
13-09-2015, 10:13 AM
Wondering if anyone else has same problem to me. I currently run a team c tm2 v1. Only use it down local track inside on carpet. Problem i have is i keep breaking front wishbones. Now some time it cause i crash but alot of the time what seems to be the lightest tap breaks them i ha e run a tc02 and mad monkey previous which has same front end and had no problems. I have broken in last month around 10 so my question is, is there any upgraded ones around or anything i can do to make them stronger apart from stop crashing. Thanks dan

Legacy555
13-09-2015, 06:45 PM
Hi Dan,

Where are they breaking? At the inner hinge pin? Can u post a picture?

Chalkie
13-09-2015, 06:51 PM
There's no upgrade that I know of, but sometime you can make the problem worse if you have lots of alloy parts on the front of the car as there's less give if you hit something. Perhaps you've added more alloy parts then when you were running the previous cars?

adey
13-09-2015, 06:55 PM
I run mine every week and never broke a thing. I have seen a similar issue though. A racer I know shimmed all the slop from his car and it went through wishbones like crazy. He de shimmed it and all was fine. Odd but true.

big red bus
13-09-2015, 06:56 PM
Fair point about alloy upgrades but literally swapped the front end from my tc02 to the tm2. I have an alloy bottom plate ,alloy front castle and alloy front hubs.
They are breaking in differnet places tbh. Some brek clean off at the hinge pin and others break half way down the arm, like around the shock mount bolt. I post a pic up.

Chalkie
13-09-2015, 07:40 PM
When you say alloy bottom plate do you mean the part that holds the wishbones or the kick-up/front lower chassis plate? Your tc02 will have some give in the chassis that the tm2 won't have, and an alloy front lower chassis will make this worse. You could always try a plastic front lower arm mount and hubs to see if it helps.

big red bus
13-09-2015, 07:51 PM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn193/golfdanmk2/Mobile%20Uploads/20150913_200129.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/golfdanmk2/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150913_200129.jpg.html)
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn193/golfdanmk2/Mobile%20Uploads/20150913_200520.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/golfdanmk2/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150913_200520.jpg.html)

Hope they work. These are the ones from yesterday. Did 2 friday night which broke almost straight in middle. Got no pics as binned them. Wont be soon before have some more though at this rate.

big red bus
13-09-2015, 07:52 PM
I have both alloy hanger pin mounting and the alloy front kick up playe.

adey
13-09-2015, 08:08 PM
Realistically, how hard are you crashing ?. I think if I were you I would buy some new front team c wishbones and some front pivot pins and fit them. Make sure they move freely and try that. They usually take a good knock before breaking.

Ashlandchris
13-09-2015, 08:21 PM
The e are 2 grades. There used to be the ansmann wishbones as well as the team c comp ones. I don't run team c anymore, but I know last year I had a similar issue and when I looked I found there are 2 dif types. One is plastic, one has more carbon in it. They were only a couple of quid more

Let me track them down

Here's the normal ones. AR code means ansmann racing I think
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/team-c-suspension-arm-front-2-2wd-buggy-ar125000499-/rc-car-products/372795

And here are the comp ones with more carbon
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/team-c-suspension-arm-front-2-2wd-comp.-buggy/rc-car-products/372786

big red bus
13-09-2015, 08:23 PM
Realistically no where near as hard as i was with tc02 or my first buggy the mad monkey. I have improved massively and have become a final regular lately but now since switching to the tm2 i have developed this thing about breaking them. All prwvious arms fitted are new genuine team c and have even tried boiling them whi h apparently should have helped but made no difference.

Chalkie
13-09-2015, 09:45 PM
Put a plastic kick up plate back on it, there's nothing else on the front of your car to give in an impact hence the wishbones are breaking.

big red bus
13-09-2015, 10:39 PM
Ok il give it a try changing kick up playe back to plastic one. Just stillwondering why i never had a problem when ising same setup on the tc02. Ill get onto swapin it back over. Thanks for advice guys.

big red bus
18-10-2015, 07:21 PM
Well after a few weeks with only 1 broken wishbone. Had first winrer series meeting and after 5 rounds i had 4 broken wishbones. I had refitted front plastic chassis playe and front plastic wishbone pin mount so apart from the front castle piece everything is standard plastic. So does any one have an alternative solution . (Like fittin associated ) wishbones or something. Thanks for any input

Clive Loynes
18-10-2015, 08:01 PM
Are other people breaking wishbones or is it just you?

I usually only break one when I clip a "bad" track marker that is unprotected. Such as guttering that is overlapped the wrong way.

Chalkie
18-10-2015, 10:37 PM
Well after a few weeks with only 1 broken wishbone. Had first winrer series meeting and after 5 rounds i had 4 broken wishbones. I had refitted front plastic chassis playe and front plastic wishbone pin mount so apart from the front castle piece everything is standard plastic. So does any one have an alternative solution . (Like fittin associated ) wishbones or something. Thanks for any input

Not really got any other suggestions except for the obvious. If you wish to try other wishbones I think the kyosho rb5 ones may fit.

adey
18-10-2015, 11:31 PM
It's very odd this is. The wishbones may not look the best quality but they are not weak at all. How hard are you crashing?. Last time I broke a wishbone like you broke yours was on a cold day and it was a very hard hit.

big red bus
19-10-2015, 08:23 PM
It is very odd. The car is great and i would honestly say are not crashing alot at all. I have cleared my local model shop out of stock of wishbones. Guess by ever ones responses it must be aomething im doing.
Are the alternative wishbones (kyosho rb5) a direct replacement or do they need modifyin to work. Thanks

Clive Loynes
19-10-2015, 09:05 PM
Which track is it that is giving you this problem?

Chalkie
19-10-2015, 10:23 PM
It is very odd. The car is great and i would honestly say are not crashing alot at all. I have cleared my local model shop out of stock of wishbones. Guess by ever ones responses it must be aomething im doing.
Are the alternative wishbones (kyosho rb5) a direct replacement or do they need modifyin to work. Thanks

I did have some but never needed to try them, but I seem to remember they fit straight in the only modification needed is to swop the balls in the shock end to kyosho ones (they're both 5.8mm) or file them a bit narrower as the slot in the wishbone isn't as wide. Kyosho did do different length wishbones so I'm afraid I don't know which ones are closest in length though.

big red bus
19-10-2015, 11:11 PM
Track i tace at is midlands raceway. Indoor carpet track. Thats the only place i have raced at as yet.

Thanks for input .ill look around to try to get a few spares from other racers to see what may or may not work. Thanks

Ill post further pictures up of when next break happens. Sure wont be waitin to long.

Clive Loynes
20-10-2015, 11:00 AM
LOL

Fifteen years ago, my daughter used to break wishbones at the same rate as you but she was assaulting the concrete curbs at Southport on a regular basis.

I have looked at a video of a race at your track and the "soft" corner markers look quite wishbone friendly. (Nice track)

On the other hand, it looks like the thin "felt" type of carpet which is probably on top of a hard floor. You get quite a bit of elevation on the cross-over and a bad landing could cause you the problem.

They do not usually break when it's just chucked down the road. Hitting other cars, or being hit, or hitting something solid with one wheel will do it.

adey
20-10-2015, 11:10 AM
Midland raceway is run by where I live. I personally haven't been but have been told it's a car breaker if you get it wrong. I race at Halesowen. If you pop over to the club on a Friday night I will have a look at your car for you Big Red Bus. My team c is awesome and I'll be happy to give you a set of wishbones too try.

Clive Loynes
20-10-2015, 01:43 PM
Midland raceway ............ but have been told it's a car breaker .............................


And now we know which one! :D

big red bus
20-10-2015, 04:35 PM
I would not say its a breaker because no other racer has a problem. I never had a issue when racing a tc02c or even the mad monkey there. Its just become an issue now i have moved to the tm2. Theres a few other team c cars that race there and they have no real issues. Must be just me but its becoming alittle annoying.

Would inserting a metal insert into the wishbone where the mounting pin goes through help at all do you think.

InsideLineModels
20-10-2015, 04:47 PM
I would not say its a breaker because no other racer has a problem. I never had a issue when racing a tc02c or even the mad monkey there. Its just become an issue now i have moved to the tm2. Theres a few other team c cars that race there and they have no real issues. Must be just me but its becoming alittle annoying.

Would inserting a metal insert into the wishbone where the mounting pin goes through help at all do you think.

I don't think inserting an insert would help because you would have to remove wishbone material to get it to fit, and therefore make it weaker.

Are you sure you are using the competition wishbones (T02016) and not the RTR type (T02104)?

Kev

tumpier
20-10-2015, 06:08 PM
as for the track being a car breaker if you crash at any track hard enough a car breaks simples,.,.,,.,

Booner
20-10-2015, 06:42 PM
I've been racing at the Raceway for a year now on Friday nights and I've only broke 3 front arms and 1 rear due to bad crashes. The track is definitely not a car killer..

big red bus
20-10-2015, 10:32 PM
Have used the competition type and the rtr type. Have gone through both.

adey
20-10-2015, 11:04 PM
I want too make it clear I am not insulting midland raceway here, i am aware it's a good track with good jumps. There are people who have raced there that I have spoke too and that's what they have said. That's all. I personally know the guy who runs the club and he has done a superb job of making that track. I wanted too make that clear.

Cosworth
21-10-2015, 10:18 PM
Midlands use the same track markers as Marston's (halesowen is such a silly name) so going there would make no difference.


The car is weak in big incidents regardless of track markings.

Maybe you should pop down and judge for yourself Ade instead of listening to hearsay.

adey
22-10-2015, 01:41 AM
I asked big red bus to come to Halesowen so I could help him with his car if he wanted any help and offer him some free back up wishbones and that's it. I was trying to help a fellow racer !. I never mentioned track markers or said his car would break less at Halesowen. I also wasn't listening to hearsay. I just put what some people have said and that's it. As I said, I know the guy running it and I have seen the videos of the track at midland and it looks great too me.

Cosworth
22-10-2015, 05:56 AM
I asked big red bus to come to Halesowen so I could help him with his car if he wanted any help and offer him some free back up wishbones and that's it. I was trying to help a fellow racer !. I never mentioned track markers or said his car would break less at Halesowen. I also wasn't listening to hearsay. I just put what some people have said and that's it. As I said, I know the guy running it and I have seen the videos of the track at midland and it looks great too me.

So hearsay then. No more a track breaker than the next track.

Cheers :thumbsup:

grimidol
22-10-2015, 06:42 AM
Are all your hinge pins good a bent one could be locking the wish bone. Make sure all the front is free to move.

adey
22-10-2015, 07:32 AM
I tell you what Cosworth. Next time any one comes to Halesowen and says that midland raceway is a car breaker, I'll put this point across...ok ?. Now shall we get back on topic.

adey
22-10-2015, 10:00 AM
Is there a visual difference between the competition wishbones over the rtr ?. Wondering which I have got. Didn't know there was two types

InsideLineModels
22-10-2015, 12:18 PM
Is there a visual difference between the competition wishbones over the rtr ?. Wondering which I have got. Didn't know there was two types

No, its just the material I believe. I haven't spotted any obvious difference in the look.

DerbyDan
22-10-2015, 03:59 PM
My TM2 was one of the first batch of kits into the UK - about three years ago?? & so far (touch wood) I haven't broken any wishbones! (you watch me now break one when I next take out Chalkie off the start of a final!)

One thought I've had - the wishbones on my car had to be filed a little bit in order to clear over the bulkhead/pivot plate & to move freely - do you arms fit cleanly? I'm just wondering that if the wishbone is under tension it is more likely to break on a 'lesser' impact?

ralphee
24-10-2015, 07:41 AM
Cant speak for TeamC cars plastics, but i know i can break a TRF high traction arm with a cigarette butt haha!
Do your arms look more "glassy" than the std kit arms? Adey dont crash much, but i have seen him take some punishment and the car has held firm, so it is a tough car, and ive watched it for a while now!

Lee

mattybucks
24-10-2015, 08:38 AM
Midlands use the same track markers as Marston's (halesowen is such a silly name) so going there would make no difference.


The car is weak in big incidents regardless of track markings.

Maybe you should pop down and judge for yourself Ade instead of listening to hearsay.

The car is not weak. I've seen some massive incidents and the car has come out unscathed.

adey
24-10-2015, 10:17 AM
No the tm2 is not weak. Can't remember the last time I broke a wishbone.

Al3xis007
24-10-2015, 11:09 AM
The rb5 wishbones are 3mm shorter than the team c, this is because the inner block is 3mm wider, not sure about the rb6 tho.
I've never had a problem with my tm2 or Evo, I run the ally blocks and castle too

Chris Larner
26-10-2015, 07:47 AM
I too run the Brass front block and alloy upper castle on my EVO (same front end as a TM2) an d yesterday at Maritime Raceway managed to hit a crashed car full speed on the main straight and the only damage to my car was a piece chipped off a front arm. It was still race able and useable! Was expecting more damage. Unfortunately for the other car (a YZ2) it was a different story.
There must be something binding or bent on your car for it to be eating arms.
Good luck in finding an answer.

Muzzie
26-10-2015, 09:31 AM
I’ve run the TM2 for over 3 year’s and in my opinion the front wishbone are strong. This is not to say I’ve never broken a front wishbone. The early Ansmann wishbones weren’t great but the Team C plastic are defiantly on par with every other manufacturer.
If you haven’t already done so I would recommend grinding down the front wheel axel and use low profile serrated nut. I’ve broken a couple of wishbone where the protruding axel has clipped a track marker and snapped the wishbone at the pivot pin. I’ve find the servo saver take quite a lot of the initial impact on the front end when you crash. The TM2 front end is pretty tuff, but I did break a carbon fibre shock tower last week the first breakage in over a year’s running.

spiboom85
03-11-2015, 08:41 PM
I must admit touch wood, iv only broke about 3 in the last 12 months, :thumbsup: tm2 v1 is a grate car and I will not be up grading to the tm2 v2 :thumbsup::p