PDA

View Full Version : Smallest spur in B4?


Danosborne6661
31-12-2008, 12:45 AM
Basically I'd quite like to try running a smaller spur to stop the motor hanging so far back.
This should make a big difference in handling! But I just wondered how small a spur you can go?

Obviously by having a smaller spur this brings the motor forward but how small can you go before the motor touches the casing? I've seen that AE make a 72t and a 75t which are quite a lot smaller than stock! Would I still be able to gear my car sensible for indoor racing and still get clearance on the rear diff casing?

Just wondered what a sensible size spur would be to start off with and to see what you lot are running

Richard Lowe
31-12-2008, 12:50 AM
What wind motor are you running? :)

ben
31-12-2008, 12:54 AM
Would it not be easier just to put *30g* (example) of weight at the front :confused:

ashleyb4
31-12-2008, 12:56 AM
Or a Brass bulkhead.

A

PaulRotheram
31-12-2008, 01:06 AM
I used to do the spur gear trick also, it does make a difference! It reduces rotating and adds stability from what i remember as the weight isnt as far away from the axles. If i remember correctly it was the one below stock 81 which was 78 spur i belive?

Was definately worth trying, but the lead also does the trick.. try both and see what you prefer!

Danosborne6661
31-12-2008, 01:15 AM
Cheers Paul,

I do also have lead up front but still, adding a smaller spur would make the difference again and it would change more then just 'adding more weight up front'. Might be worth a shot anyway :D

If anyone has any more feedback on this keep it coming :D
EDIT: I'm running a 6.5

Cameo
02-01-2009, 04:34 AM
I have a feeling the closest mesh you can get is 81/18 or 78/20 that brings the motor all the way forward.

AE have just releases 75 & 72 tooth spurs if you want to run a bigger pinion

post your findings hey!!

Chequered Flag Racing
10-01-2009, 01:56 PM
AE have just releases 75 & 72 tooth spurs if you want to run a bigger pinion



just emailed CML to see if they have a release date in the UK for them

there on AE's site (http://67.199.85.166/main/newproducts.php#Associated) but not yet on CML's