View Full Version : My Optima with mid motor conversion
lin6499
14-02-2016, 12:10 PM
Hello, I'm a new guy here and this is my first thread.
Why I did this was just for fun, didn't think I could build a better car than Kyosho Optima Mid.
You guys may be aware that there's no a gear cover.
Right, because it is kind of difficult to me to make one.
Those custom-made, white plastic parts were made by 3D printer.
As an Asian, excuse my poor English.
Box-art
http://rcfans-discuzx.b0.upaiyun.com/forum/201602/14/195357htr517l2ltwm8k3r.jpg.thumb.jpg
http://rcfans-discuzx.b0.upaiyun.com/forum/201602/05/191513hlb6fmi6tb1hrt6m.jpg.thumb.jpg
lcpvcce
14-02-2016, 12:18 PM
Nice work !!
mr. ed
14-02-2016, 04:22 PM
Did you use the longer belt of the lwb optima mids?
optiman
14-02-2016, 05:21 PM
Awesome job!!!!
lin6499
15-02-2016, 12:07 AM
Did you use the longer belt of the lwb optima mids?
The belt of LWB Optima Mid would be too long.
LWB: 254XL
Mine: 248XL
SWB: 240XL
Welshy40
15-02-2016, 03:28 PM
Superb, very well thought out and nice that you have taken your time doing this. Well done
OptimaFan
16-02-2016, 10:18 AM
Neat looking conversion. White parts are 3D printed or machined? I wonder if the axle on which the yellow pulley sits, won't give a little if the drive belt is stressed during hard accelleration or braking.
lin6499
16-02-2016, 02:16 PM
Neat looking conversion. White parts are 3D printed or machined? I wonder if the axle on which the yellow pulley sits, won't give a little if the drive belt is stressed during hard accelleration or braking.
First, those white parts are 3D printed.
Second, I think two pulley-bearings are more vulnerable than the axle. It seems the bearings are fine.
However, the current motor is 540 silver can, I'm not sure what will happen when upgrading to a powerful motor.
bretts
16-02-2016, 03:38 PM
Here's the one I (my Dad) did in the 80's. The Optima Mod
This is the only pic I have.
No under body shots I'm affraid but you can see the orange belt.
It didn't go very well, but maybe that was the Sanyo 1200sc batteries.
Welshy40
16-02-2016, 07:03 PM
Sanyo 1400scr
lin6499
16-02-2016, 11:09 PM
Here's the one I (my Dad) did in the 80's. The Optima Mod
This is the only pic I have.
No under body shots I'm affraid but you can see the orange belt.
It didn't go very well, but maybe that was the Sanyo 1200sc batteries.
Pity. I wish we could see more detail about it.
isobarik
10-03-2016, 01:31 PM
Superb, very well thought out and nice that you have taken your time doing this. Well done
its youre car it says so on the wing ...:woot::woot:
mvh iso .....
looking good took some time to get that result ....looks awsome ...
TommieG
26-03-2016, 09:02 AM
Fantastic work!
I would love to see some more closeups on how you did that.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.