PDA

View Full Version : Yokomo Dogfighter YZ-834B build project


Dadio
02-04-2016, 06:34 PM
This was the one that got away when i was a kid ,far more so than the RC10 the car i always wanted but never had was the original Yokomo Dogfighter YZ-834B ,mono shock both ends .I had a look for a fixer upper but they all attract silly money these days so I'm going to build from spare parts and what i can't find I'll make myself ,I have a lath and mill so I have the tools .
So far I have winging their way to me .
Chassis plate
Rear suspension mounts
Front diff housing/suspension mount (I know ,no front diff ,just trying to describe the part)
Front upper and lower suspension arms
Body
Wing
I'll probabbly make the roll hoop as I found the dimensions and the only one for sale is a rip off price.
So I'm short of transmition parts but I've found a supplier of chain and pulleys and intend to replicate the gearbox using modern gears for modern buggies and mill out a gearbox from Acetal .
I'll post piuctures as things progress ,i'm grinning already so stay tuned folks.

daz75
02-04-2016, 07:01 PM
Sounds like you have some skills good luck :thumbsup:

mr. ed
02-04-2016, 07:19 PM
Whete did you find the dimensions?
I'm looking fwd for updates as you get on

Ashlandchris
02-04-2016, 07:24 PM
I shall watch this with interest. I remember the mid 80s racing against the original dogfighter and though it wasn't great over the really rough stuff, it was sensational over smooth or undulating. At Batley, when we used to race at the old sports centre indoors, the track was great for a Dogfighter and it used to be so quick. I was told it had a shorter suspension travel and lower ride height so drove more like a touring car (don't know if that is the case?).
Regardless, it was always a great car to watch and race against.
Make sure you post plenty of piccies

Dadio
02-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Whete did you find the dimensions?
I'm looking fwd for updates as you get on
i just did an image search and this popped up
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/roll_bar01_zpsioendxdv.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/roll_bar01_zpsioendxdv.jpg.html)
should be enough to work with ,there's a couple of bits where material thickness is not allowed for but i'm sure I'll manage and I'm just not forking out £50 for the one on ebay , its too much for a bent bit of aluminium bar that I can buy straight for less than £10 and bend myself .

Dadio
02-04-2016, 08:33 PM
I know this is way off topic but it shows what i can do ,the black and white picture is a genuine Owen Gun disassembled and the colour picture is of the functioning airsoft (BB Gun) replica I made for a customer.
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/Owe_zps608b1d0c.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/Owe_zps608b1d0c.jpg.html)
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/DSCF3030_zpshbxkcjjl_1.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/DSCF3030_zpshbxkcjjl_1.jpg.html)
I made everything you see in the colour picture.

Peakey
02-04-2016, 08:53 PM
Good work there buddy!!where do I put my order in 😁 If you serch out Northy on here he has a couple of 834's and parts too plus Naushed is our resident expert on them too.

Dadio
02-04-2016, 09:29 PM
I might have to drop them a PM at some point about dimensions and scrounging parts but its the wife's birthday this month so funds are low at least until i sell some bits and pieces .

mr. ed
02-04-2016, 09:34 PM
i just did an image search and this popped up
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/roll_bar01_zpsioendxdv.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/roll_bar01_zpsioendxdv.jpg.html)
should be enough to work with ,there's a couple of bits where material thickness is not allowed for but i'm sure I'll manage and I'm just not forking out £50 for the one on ebay , its too much for a bent bit of aluminium bar that I can buy straight for less than £10 and bend myself .

Thanks for the info. Do you know the width of the strip too? Someone with acces to woodworking tools could easily make an inner mould and produce replicas at will. Props for going for the early monoshock version ny the way, my favourite version too.

Dadio
02-04-2016, 09:43 PM
I don't yet but as these sit under the rear suspensio mount and I have the mounts on order, so when they arrive i'll measure the slot then I'll let you know the width and thickness .

Naushad
03-04-2016, 01:23 AM
Hi

Cheers Peakey.

Dadio, if you want PM me with the parts you are looking for. Maybe able to save you the hassle of forming the bits you need! The image that you found was from Hyeong Seop Kim - a Korean guy. He is the truly the yz834 guru (goes by 59burst on this forum).


The hardest parts to find intact are the gearbox halves. Sometimes they were modified or the motor mount screw hole cracked. The pullies are also tricky to source.


Use ball bearings everywhere and check out pargustore for more parts!

Dadio
03-04-2016, 08:29 AM
Thanks Naushad ,I need a few bits but I'll have to wait for a couple of things to sell on another forum before i can pay for any more bits .
What I need most are rear trailing arms ,front steering hubs and all transmition parts, i'm quite happy to fabricate the gearbox , its a nice challenge and have an idea for how to ge the gearing made with modern gears .
The gearing will need 3 x 46t spur gears ,a 22t pinion and a 20t pinion, the 22t pinion needes to be screwed to one of the 46t spur gears to make the reduction gear and one of the 46t spurs will need to be converted to a ball diff gear ,then the rest of a modern ball diff parts can be grafted on .
The only really hard bit will be aligning the bearing holes in the gearbox case halves so the gears mesh well ,my mill is not CNC its a plain by eye and by hand mill but I think if I start with one solid plastic (acetal) block and drill pilot holes all the way through for the bearing holes and the screw holes to bolt the halves together ,I can then cut the block in half and mill out the void space for the gears in both halves and it should then all align perfectly .
It's probably a couple of days work but I enjoy doing it ,there is also the virtue of having modern cheaply scorced gears in the gearbox and a caseing thats not 30 year old plastic, I want to be able to drive this car without worrie of breaking expensive parts so I'll probably mill out copies of all the breakable components and keep the original bits for sunday best.

Dadio
03-04-2016, 08:41 AM
Oh I forgot ,there is a shop called Technobots and they sell chain and gears to match in Mod1 pitch ,it's what i was planning to use for chain and front (not) diff , that reminds me ,the front one way roller hubs ,has anybody got an exploded view picture of them as i'd like to see how they go together .

Dadio
05-04-2016, 05:55 PM
First part arrived ,I have a nice shiny new body and wing yay!

Dadio
07-04-2016, 05:53 PM
scored a bearbox complete , motor plate and rear shock with linkages and pivots ,He He .

mr. ed
07-04-2016, 09:27 PM
Bearbox, or beerbox?:confused:

Dadio
08-04-2016, 06:08 AM
HE HE gearbox ,sorry i'm a fat fingered typist ,no bears were halmed during the construction of this car .

Dadio
09-04-2016, 10:19 AM
Waiting for bits to be delivered from around the world sucks ! Theoretically stuff should start arriving on tuesday , then I can start fabricating the bits I don't have .
Bits to fabricate
1 Rear trailing arms
2 Roll bar
3 Wire Wing mount
4 Wing mountings to the wing
5 Mounting for wire wing mount to chassis
6 Top brace/chain guide
7 Front mono shock bracketts for front arms

Parts that I might fabricate if I can't find
1 Front steering hubs
2 Front axles
3 Rear axles
4 Square wheel drive hubs
5 Dog bones front and rear
6 Suspension mounting shafts

Shopping list
1 One way roller bearings
2 Chain
3 Front chain sprocket
4 Bearings
5 Gearbox guard
6 Paints
7 Front shock

There's probably more

Dadio
09-04-2016, 06:50 PM
I just scored ,front steering hubs ,one way roller hubs and axles complete with bearings , i must stop looking at ebay before i'm broke !

Dadio
10-04-2016, 05:27 PM
Can anybody tell me the pitch for the pinion ? are they 48dp or old school Tamiya style ?

Dadio
11-04-2016, 02:56 PM
Pargustore gold aluminium front C hubs arrived today :)

Dadio
12-04-2016, 08:07 AM
Not a lot to see yet but more bits should arrive this week .http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160412_084711_zpscb7ju5oy.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160412_084711_zpscb7ju5oy.jpg.html)IMG_20160 412_084642_zpsu7d7uapnhttp://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160412_084623_zpsssbh4xd2.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160412_084623_zpsssbh4xd2.jpg.html)

Peakey
12-04-2016, 08:53 AM
Have you seen the body's that are being made from Mr Lexans old molds? I know there having trouble with finding a good place to pull them but when there up and running they should be a better fit than the tbg ones.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/252332738092?rmvSB=true&ul_ref=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F7 11-53200-19255-0%2F1%3Ficep_ff3%3D2%26pub%3D5575079428%26toolid%3 D10001%26campid%3D5337462375%26customid%3D%26icep_ item%3D252332738092%26ipn%3Dpsmain%26icep_vectorid %3D229466%26kwid%3D902099%26mtid%3D824%26kw%3Dlg%2 6srcrot%3D711-53200-19255-0%26rvr_id%3D1013453497936&_mwBanner=1&ul_noapp=true

Dadio
12-04-2016, 11:14 AM
I'll have a look ,the one I have is not too bad ,you can just make out the window outline in it so its OK for now,I far prefer the early curved screen body to the later flat screen one you linked .the motor plate arrived today as well .http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160412_120704_zpsnxtptr9t.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160412_120704_zpsnxtptr9t.jpg.html)

Peakey
12-04-2016, 11:23 AM
There will be others to come as soon as he's sorted out a decent place to pull them

http://sabulatech.com/SabulaTech/10th_Scale_Molds.html

Dadio
12-04-2016, 11:49 AM
Those moulds do look good ,I'll look him up for my next body ,thanks for the link .

Dadio
13-04-2016, 01:03 PM
Front bulkhead arrived ,other than the threads in the holes it looks brand new :)http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160413_135456_zpsplcpxnog.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160413_135456_zpsplcpxnog.jpg.html)

Dadio
14-04-2016, 09:14 AM
4 brass pinions and a set of front suspension pivot pins ordered .
I'm starting to think about the electrics ,I'm not such a purist that I want a brushed motor and nicad's but then again this transmition has no slipper and the gears are rare .I was thinking of useing a 13.5t BL motor i have but I think that probably 17.7t might be safer for the gears or even a 21.5t ,if I'm usuing a decent esc I can tern the power down for whatever motor I choose I guess . I was reading another vintage thread and it was suggested that lipo's were too much for vintage gearboxes ,this confused me a bit as its just another form of battery that just has a longer run time ,my understanding was that its the motor that draws not the battery that pushes but then I'm often wrong .

fathead
14-04-2016, 10:35 AM
There will be others to come as soon as he's sorted out a decent place to pull them

http://sabulatech.com/SabulaTech/10th_Scale_Molds.html

Good lord that Kremer Porker!! (1/12th)

Retro RC
14-04-2016, 11:03 AM
Good lord that Kremer Porker!! (1/12th)

You mean this 1 lol

http://sabulatech.com/SabulaTech/12th_Scale_Molds.html#0

fathead
14-04-2016, 12:12 PM
You mean this 1 lol

http://sabulatech.com/SabulaTech/12th_Scale_Molds.html#0

Yes yes I do

Dadio
14-04-2016, 12:24 PM
It might look odd on the dogfighter even if it fits :eh?: ,nice looking shells though .

Peakey
14-04-2016, 12:24 PM
A lot of them were original molds the others he made himself and they are some of the best repo's available, well they were before he stopped pulling them and has since sold his collection onto sadultech.
As soon as they have a place that is doing consistently good body's I'm sure they will all be available to buy but there just doing a few at a time to start with.

Dadio
14-04-2016, 06:24 PM
Chassis plate and rear suspension mounts arrived today ,need to pop out tomorrow to pick up some countersunk m4 screws to start putting it together :D
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160414_191058_zpsg0v4i7kn.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160414_191058_zpsg0v4i7kn.jpg.html)

Dadio
15-04-2016, 02:21 PM
Gearbox and rear shock assembly arrived today ,the shock assembly was only missing the pivot bushings but i can spin them off on the lath later. The gearbox only has bearings on the diff so I'll have to replace the bushings in there as well but the gears and box are in excellent condition .

Dadio
15-04-2016, 02:30 PM
I also picked up some screws so its started to go together :Dhttp://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160415_152425_zpsjuw5jlit.jpg[/URL[URL=http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160415_152450_zpsewakz4b7.jpg.html]http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160415_152450_zpsewakz4b7.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160415_152425_zpsjuw5jlit.jpg.html)

Dadio
16-04-2016, 08:36 AM
I made up some bushings for the shock cranks yesterday but found that there was still flex in the plastic mounting on the gearbox ,this flex was enough to make the shock bind so I made a brace to go on top between the two screws that the shock cranks pivot on , the brace is made from CF and while I had a mask on for cutting CF I made a top deck as well ,the top deck is one of the parts i have so far never seen for sale and incorporates a chain guide that takes the chain over the battery ,it was a period mod to replace this chain guide with a sprung tensioner pulley that also served the purpose of getting the chain round the battery so thats the way to go until I find a genuine part.

Dadio
16-04-2016, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the info. Do you know the width of the strip too? Someone with acces to woodworking tools could easily make an inner mould and produce replicas at will. Props for going for the early monoshock version ny the way, my favourite version too.

The roll hoop is 15x3mm ,I just ordered a 2m length on ebay for 15 pounds ,way cheeper than the genuine roll hoop on ebay for 50quid !

Dadio
16-04-2016, 02:08 PM
I made a gearbox guard today ,not as pretty as the ones on eBay but it'l do the job ,I might drill out some holes to lighten it and make it look better .http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160416_145539_zpszelgfr9u.jpg[/URL[URL=http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160416_145528_zpswqtzmlj1.jpg.html]http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160416_145528_zpswqtzmlj1.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160416_145539_zpszelgfr9u.jpg.html)

Dadio
17-04-2016, 02:00 PM
I made up the wing mounts on the lath ,forgive the skanky welding wire but its all I had to hand http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160417_145123_zpshsnlzcp7.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160417_145123_zpshsnlzcp7.jpg.html)http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160417_145136_zpsixdch3oj.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160417_145136_zpsixdch3oj.jpg.html)

Dadio
17-04-2016, 02:59 PM
I also cut out the body shell last night and I can see why you recomended the other firm ,the fit on this one is not that great ,it'll have to do for now and it will give me practice as I have not painted a lexan shell in 30+ years and I want to do more than a basic one colour ,I'm torn between a box art colour scheme , something more modern with vivid colours or an attempt at scale realism .
It's startiing to at least look like something now and hopefully most of the front suspension components should arrive soon so that will look better .
I still cannot find a top deck/chain guide or set of rear trailing arms so thats the only parts that I'll need to fabricate now other than the roll hoop ,I found that theres a file on shapeways for the battery tray and I'll have to make up a chain tensioner to go on the CF top deck I made.

Dadio
18-04-2016, 12:45 PM
4 pinions and the front suspension pivot pins and C clips arrived today from Germany .
It just got me thinking that all these parts started life in Japan ,then the spread arround the globe ,now I've started gathering them together from Germany ,Korea ,Japan and America to be brought together again after over 30 years .

Peakey
18-04-2016, 02:42 PM
You could always use Andys RC10 trailing arms like Ansgar has on his great 834

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/peakey29/F0B2EBAE-0DA3-4FE6-BAD2-D5DADE06AEFF_zpsfskmvq4o.jpg (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/peakey29/media/F0B2EBAE-0DA3-4FE6-BAD2-D5DADE06AEFF_zpsfskmvq4o.jpg.html)
http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/peakey29/249101D2-3A0D-4109-9473-9BE35A12D257_zps7wioaxno.jpg (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/peakey29/media/249101D2-3A0D-4109-9473-9BE35A12D257_zps7wioaxno.jpg.html)

Custom drilled chassis but stock driveshafts
Odd this image won't upload

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/peakey29/00A117A5-FAE6-4A55-AC94-AC7D1C6D4489_zpsiqahypv1.jpg

Dadio
18-04-2016, 03:43 PM
They look nice but if I can't use genuine ones then I'll mill some out myself ,I'd rather have them nearer to the original design.

Dadio
20-04-2016, 06:33 PM
Started work on the rear trailing arms today ,I'll make up screw in aluminium hub's once I have a set of rear axles so I get the dimensions right ,the suspension linkages are all in place and work smoothly ,I could reduce the weight quite a bit but I'm waiting till I have an anti roll bar and know where its fitted to the arms before I remove any material .
The arms are made from acetal ,a strong engineering plastic ,very quick and easy to mill and takes a thread well .http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160420_190831_zpsgban0rcz.jpg[/URL[URL=http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160420_190907_zps2lpxevfi.jpg.html]http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160420_190907_zps2lpxevfi.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160420_190831_zpsgban0rcz.jpg.html)http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160420_190932_zpsuobzvlml.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160420_190932_zpsuobzvlml.jpg.html)

Peakey
20-04-2016, 06:50 PM
I know I hve one 834 wheel hub I might have another coming but it'll be a week or so off buddy.

Dadio
20-04-2016, 06:54 PM
there are a few on ebay but its going to have to wait till the end of the month.

Dadio
20-04-2016, 07:56 PM
One thing that I need to think about soon is wheels or more important tyres ,what tyres do people use ,is there a manufacturer that still make 1 3/4 inch tyres ?

Peakey
20-04-2016, 08:57 PM
Again I have some original there on the way 😂 I've got a massive parts box that's going to be making its way here from te US hopefully next week I think there's some wheels on there too!

Dadio
20-04-2016, 09:24 PM
I've found a few wheels but no tyres ,are there any still being made ? ,what size are the Tamiya re-re tyres ?

Peakey
20-04-2016, 11:13 PM
No there original yoke ones used though

Dadio
21-04-2016, 08:46 AM
When the box arrives we may have to talk more !:D

Dadio
21-04-2016, 05:50 PM
The aluminium bar arrived to make the roll hoop so... Virtually perfect just needs a little tweek http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160421_183833_zps76ohbldo.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160421_183833_zps76ohbldo.jpg.html)http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160421_183845_zpsl1nsoqe3.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160421_183845_zpsl1nsoqe3.jpg.html)

Dadio
22-04-2016, 08:51 PM
I got the rear arms back on the mill to do a bit more refining of the shape ,I also cut the thread into them ready for the aluminium hubs i'll make once I have the axles.
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/DSCF5611_zpsw0pmy3ct.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/DSCF5611_zpsw0pmy3ct.jpg.html)
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/DSCF5610_zpsjiicqz93.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/DSCF5610_zpsjiicqz93.jpg.html)

Peakey
22-04-2016, 10:58 PM
It's looking great buddy it really is and your parts look top draw too!! :thumbsup:

Dadio
23-04-2016, 08:57 AM
Thanks , I'm just impatient for the rest of the parts too arrive and pay day so I can order more :D , I've had email's saying the steering hubs ,front axle sets ,front suspension arms and servo saver and steering linkages are cleared customs and out with the courier for delivery so they should arrive over the next few days .
I still need
1 Front shock
2 Front shock mounting bracketts (i'll probably cut them from CF)
3 Front Diffless centre shaft ,sprockettt and outdrives
4 Rear axles
5 Chain
6 battery tray (shapeways do a 3D printed one )
7 Driveshafts all round (I gather rc10 ones fit up front)
8 Wheels and tyres.
9 All the electrics except a servo ,I'm probably going to go for a trackstar 17.5t motor esc combo .
I don't want to over stress the transmition so I hope the 17.5t motor will be OK .

Dadio
23-04-2016, 12:22 PM
More bits :D front one way roller hubs complete ,they even came with ball races !
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/DSCF5613_zpsj6eqjygq.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/DSCF5613_zpsj6eqjygq.jpg.html)
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/DSCF5612_zpsegjcx1tl.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/DSCF5612_zpsegjcx1tl.jpg.html)

Dadio
24-04-2016, 12:22 PM
I was chatting to a friend of mine yesterday and he had a bit of a clever idea regarding the rear dog bones ,I'd shown him the rear trailing arms and explained that i was going to make up a screw in hub to fit the bearings and axle and that finding the rear dog bones was difficoult ,he pointed out that as i'm making screw in hubs I could use a veriety of different length dog bones and adjust the hubs to fit ,so long as the ball end size is correct the shaft could be shorter or longer than stock by a few mm .

mr. ed
24-04-2016, 12:53 PM
I was thinking you cpuld use the inserts to stick further out of the arm. That way you could use later yokomo wheels wth less offset

Dadio
24-04-2016, 01:32 PM
thats another good idea

Dadio
25-04-2016, 08:30 PM
Front (not) diff on its way :D as are a set of classic RC10 drive shafts that are meant to be a direct fit for the front ,I'm still waiting on the front suspension arms and the servo saver and steering linkages ,I have a servo ,I have a bid in on a cheap transmitter and reciever second hand ,the rx will go in the Dogfighter and the transmitter will mean my 9 year old daughter can drive one of my other cars at the same time :D double win .

Dadio
27-04-2016, 05:34 PM
Servo saver and steering linkages arrived today ,one track rod end has split down the thread slightly ,it still holds but I'll probably get some more modern ones if it causes a problem , otherwise its not too bad condition.I just need the front suspension arms to tie it all together and look nice at the front .

mr. ed
27-04-2016, 06:35 PM
Front (not) diff on its way :D as are a set of classic RC10 drive shafts that are meant to be a direct fit for the front ,I'm still waiting on the front suspension arms and the servo saver and steering linkages ,I have a servo ,I have a bid in on a cheap transmitter and reciever second hand ,the rx will go in the Dogfighter and the transmitter will mean my 9 year old daughter can drive one of my other cars at the same time :D double win .

RC10 drive shafts are imperial sized and the 834 is all metric sized. I think you're mis-informed?

Dadio
27-04-2016, 07:52 PM
hopefully its close enough ,I know that some spanner sizes are virtually exactly the same in metric and imperial versions ,13mm and 1/2 inch ,11/16 and 19mm are very close ,some measurements between the two are only a wisker different .

mr. ed
27-04-2016, 08:08 PM
Yup, but metal parts don't give a whisker. No pass is no pass. 5mm is what you need I think. I only habe later yokos which use 11 by 5 bearings.

Dadio
28-04-2016, 02:39 PM
I just try'd a Kyosho chain and it does not fit the sprocket at all ,does anybody know the pitch or width of the correct chain ? if I cant find the correct stuff i can get chain and sprockets from technobots shop but I'd like to try and get the right chainb first .

Peakey
28-04-2016, 03:10 PM
I should have a chain coming with the rest of my bits but they've been delayed :thumbdown:

Dadio
28-04-2016, 05:05 PM
cool ,I don't suppose you'd have any dog bones for an 834b in you'r goody box as well ?

Peakey
28-04-2016, 06:30 PM
Not sure till it gets here

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/peakey29/for%20sale/AD52BBB1-A9D0-4304-8AEA-3BA6E26A76FD_zpsnmydua3w.jpg (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/peakey29/media/for%20sale/AD52BBB1-A9D0-4304-8AEA-3BA6E26A76FD_zpsnmydua3w.jpg.html)

Dadio
28-04-2016, 06:42 PM
i see what you mean but there is a lovely chain there so I guess I'm walking arround with your money in my pocket .

Dadio
29-04-2016, 03:53 PM
After a lot of trawling I found where i read that RC10 dog bones would fit up front on the dogfighter ,it was on OLD ONES AND FIRST ONES forum ,what is said there is that the pin to pin length is exactly the same but the pins and balls might need modifying ,this makes sense with the metric/imperial issue ,so that got me thinking ,should i modify the shafts that are common and easy to find or modify the cups to fit the shafts ? or i guess go the long way round and make up new axles and out drives on my lath to fit the drive shafts and keep the original parts as spares ,not too sure my lath tools would be up to hardened steel though so they would be mild steel and even if I case hardened them they would still wear badly ...............

roboliver
29-04-2016, 05:35 PM
the dog fighter

used 32 pitch gears

Dadio
29-04-2016, 06:24 PM
the dog fighter

used 32 pitch gears

Thanks Roboliver

mr. ed
29-04-2016, 06:41 PM
After a lot of trawling I found where i read that RC10 dog bones would fit up front on the dogfighter ,it was on OLD ONES AND FIRST ONES forum ,what is said there is that the pin to pin length is exactly the same but the pins and balls might need modifying ,this makes sense with the metric/imperial issue ,so that got me thinking ,should i modify the shafts that are common and easy to find or modify the cups to fit the shafts ? or i guess go the long way round and make up new axles and out drives on my lath to fit the drive shafts and keep the original parts as spares ,not too sure my lath tools would be up to hardened steel though so they would be mild steel and even if I case hardened them they would still wear badly ...............

Check you inbox. I have you covered

mr. ed
30-04-2016, 08:11 AM
All you need to do is cut some fresh dogbones to your desired length and replace the ones on this using that setscrew

Peakey
30-04-2016, 11:48 AM
All you need to do is cut some fresh dogbones to your desired length and replace the ones on this using that setscrew

What length are the 834's I've got some YR4 ones if there any use

mr. ed
30-04-2016, 12:20 PM
Yr4 is probably too short. I have ultima ones which will be plenty long to cut to size. But if the ball end and pins fit, he can use the rc10 bones with what i posted.

Dadio
30-04-2016, 03:33 PM
I have the rear stub axles and hubs comeing ,once they get here I'll try to work out whats best in the way of drive shafts (dog bones ) ,I think that if I can find the right size balled and pinned dog bones then I can extend or shorten them if need be .

Dadio
02-05-2016, 10:20 AM
I thought i had some wheels off ebay but the auction ended at 4am ,somebody sniped them for 50p more than my high bid :thumbdown: oh well I ordered a slightly tatty set for more money ,hopefully if i spin them up on the lath and use some fine wnt-n-dry on them they will clean up ok and they are genuine yellow 834b wheels ,the others i was bidding on were aftermarket white ones that someone had dyed purple so I'd have had to paint them anyway so i saved the price of a tin of yellow paint.

Dadio
02-05-2016, 02:25 PM
Its getting exciting now,so many bits on the way ,I'm getting to the point where I only need a chain and esc, oh and paint ,the Old Dog is coming !:D

mr. ed
03-05-2016, 05:49 PM
Do you know the outer diameter and with of the original wheels?

Dadio
03-05-2016, 10:36 PM
The original wheels were 1.75 or 1.7 inch diameter but were very deeply dished compared to later yokomo's or modern wheels .From what I gather the best mach for tyres are the Pro-Line Champion tyres for the re re RC10 as they were originally a virtual copy of the Yokomo tyres ,possibly Hot Lap tyres ,I could be wrong though .

mr. ed
04-05-2016, 04:31 AM
I had a set of them in my hands a couple yeats ago and remember them being quite small and having negative offset. In fact I was looking at getting to use them on a 1/12 pan car from SG.
Last week I was fiddling with trailing suspension designs and re-discovered i need either wide axle hubs or wheels with such offset.
Looking at what I got in the stash, I think I can get old corally wheels to work. But I don't like the idea of having to stick with 1.7 tires, and I think the corally ones are closer to 1.5" anyway. They do come in a larger diameter too, for the 1/10 pan cars...

Dadio
04-05-2016, 12:22 PM
Front Shock and dog bones arrived courtesy of Naushad ,thanks again :thumbsup:.for anybody following the RC10 dog bone compatibility question I can now give more details as the AE shafts arrived today as well ,the length is identicle ,the ball is 0.1mm larger but fits without friction in the cups I have ,the pin's are 0.3mm larger diameter and would take very little Dremmeling to push into service ,the pins on the AE shaft are aligned and on the Yokomo shaft the pin's are at 90 degrees ,so in future if anybody is unable to locate Yokomo front dog bones then there's an answer in the AE RC10 classic ones if you are prepared to fettle them a little .

Dadio
05-05-2016, 02:01 PM
I think I've secured the last critical bits :thumbsup: so long as everything arrives I'm only short of a motor and speed controller and I'm going modern for them ,I'm thinking of a 17.5t motor and esc combo from the Trackstart range ,I currently have a 13.5t in it but I don't want to trash the gears .
I'm a little worried about my front suspension arms as they have been a long time in the post ,I just had to open a dispute because the seller ignored my first email last week and he's only in the US so its not that far or any language barrier ,I ordered several other parts from him after the suspension arms and the other parts are here already ........
Anyway when I've finished the build I think I should write list of credits for all the people that have helped with parts or information .

daz75
05-05-2016, 03:32 PM
Looking forward to seeing it

Be interesting to know the difference in price compared to a ready built one

Dadio
05-05-2016, 11:37 PM
It might be interesting but I'm not publishing how much it costs ,its a case of "She who must be obayed " and also "she who must also be lied to " must not find out :D
The front (not) diff arrived today as well ,some wear to the out drives but still very servicable.

Dadio
07-05-2016, 12:18 AM
The battery tray arrived from Shapeways today ,these are the latest pictures .
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/DSCF5632_zpsnj352qnh.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/DSCF5632_zpsnj352qnh.jpg.html)
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/DSCF5631_zpsu78gso5l.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/DSCF5631_zpsu78gso5l.jpg.html)

Dadio
07-05-2016, 05:22 PM
Chain and what look like brand new rear shafts arrived today :D

Dadio
08-05-2016, 04:35 PM
Made up a sprung chain tensioner ,I can't take credit for the design ,I just copied it from a picture I surfed up .
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/DSCF5648_zpszsgyq04b.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/DSCF5648_zpszsgyq04b.jpg.html)
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/DSCF5649_zpsikyudc6f.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/DSCF5649_zpsikyudc6f.jpg.html)

Dadio
09-05-2016, 08:17 PM
Two pairs of Pro-Line Champion RC10 tyres arrived today.

Naushad
10-05-2016, 12:27 PM
Looking great...its commendable you've been able to build this using some fabrication too! Hope it runs good!

Dadio
10-05-2016, 08:41 PM
I think my front suspension arms have fallen through ,long story but the eBay seller has my money but can't remember the purchase despite the message log showing the deal details ,I've opened a dispute and I can't lose ,its just a royal pain in the ar#* .

mr. ed
10-05-2016, 09:30 PM
Most times this means you see your money back, but don't get the product. Maybe it's time to make your own?

Dadio
11-05-2016, 10:36 AM
That's probably the way it will go ,its a big shame as he's the only one selling a set of front arms on eBay ,other than him there's only the aluminum top arms not bottom arms .

Northy
11-05-2016, 11:26 AM
I've PM'ed you about some arms ;)

Dadio
12-05-2016, 09:48 PM
Rear axles arrived today so I can Finnish the rear trailing arms over the weekend and at least the rear suspension would be complete .

Dadio
13-05-2016, 10:07 PM
The wheels arrived today and after cleaning up they look much better than expected ,the Pro-line Champion RC10 tyres fit perfectly and look the business.
I also ordered the CNC aluminium front suspension top wishbones so now I'm only lacking the front lower wishbones ,if I really cannot find any then I'll have to fabricate them ,not a big deal but means quite a bit of accuracy compared to making the rear trailing arms ,I'm still hoping I can find them.

Dadio
14-05-2016, 08:46 PM
I made up the rear bearing hubs top fit it the rear trailing arms today , all went smoothly and to plan and I now have working rear suspension , it just needs travel limiter's and an anti roll bar at the back and that ends finished ,the suspension limiters are really simple in the original form ,they are just a pair of cable ties from the rear guide (the aluminium plate at the back) to the holes at the end of the trailing arms ,I'm planning on making some out of cable , I have access to a kit for making temporary accelerator and clutch cables for real cars as part of my job so they should look better and last longer than cable ties .
In the pictures you can see the wheels and tire's as well .
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/DSCF5651_zpsrvw1gln9.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/DSCF5651_zpsrvw1gln9.jpg.html)
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/DSCF5650_zpsmxypbqbr.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/DSCF5650_zpsmxypbqbr.jpg.html)

Dadio
14-05-2016, 09:07 PM
Just found and ordered the lower arms at Pargu store ,I've looked on there before and never noticed the lower arms , any way that's the last last key piece found ,its just a motor and speed controller left to get :thumbsup:

Dadio
20-05-2016, 02:08 PM
I sold a few bits so could afford a motor and ESC,they arrived today ,I got the trackstar 17.5t and 80amp ESC roar approved combo as I have another in one of my other cars and I already have the programming card ,that way if its too much for the 30+ year old translation I can dial down the punch etc to a more gentle setting .
That's all the electric's ready to fit, so i'll play about with positions tonight and make up a connecting rod for the steering servo, then all I'm waiting on is suspension arms and a paint job, I have to admit I hate painting things ,all the fiddly masking and waiting for it to dry ,I just don't have the patience .

Dadio
20-05-2016, 09:27 PM
More pictures in the morning :) all the electrics are installed ,steering linkage sorted ,it just needs front suspension arms to arrive ,pargu store emailed to say that they were out of stock of plain colour lower arms and would gold arms be OK ! Result :) .Any way other than the arms its just the anti roll bar linkage's and a dash of paint and she's finished ! Maybe two weeks YAY !

Peakey
20-05-2016, 09:47 PM
What's the length of the chain if you know buddy?

Dadio
21-05-2016, 10:55 AM
Pick's
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/DSCF5653_zpsimdvoeii.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/DSCF5653_zpsimdvoeii.jpg.html)
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/DSCF5654_zpsn50zxjrc.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/DSCF5654_zpsn50zxjrc.jpg.html)
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/DSCF5656_zpsp8gk5rhk.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/DSCF5656_zpsp8gk5rhk.jpg.html)
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/DSCF5655_zps7yr59jpp.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/DSCF5655_zps7yr59jpp.jpg.html)

Welshy40
21-05-2016, 12:25 PM
Isnt this the car that Cliffe Lett built in the plane on his way to the worlds?

Dadio
21-05-2016, 02:25 PM
Isnt this the car that Cliffe Lett built in the plane on his way to the worlds?
I'm afraid I don't know that story but I'd love to hear it .

I almost kissed the postman this afternoon when I saw a parcel from Korea in his hand , the top arms arrived Yay , and the aluminium for the roll bar links, so it was workshop time .Now it really is just the lower arms and glue the tires onto the wheels .
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/DSCF5657_zpsgoeqvhab.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/DSCF5657_zpsgoeqvhab.jpg.html)
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/DSCF5658_zpsnedpzm8h.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/DSCF5658_zpsnedpzm8h.jpg.html)
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/DSCF5659_zpslgn2zxjk.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/DSCF5659_zpslgn2zxjk.jpg.html)
the arms look yellow but that's just the light ,they are just polished aluminium uncoloured.

Dadio
21-05-2016, 10:06 PM
What's the length of the chain if you know buddy?

Next time I have the chain off I'll measure it as best I can.

Dadio
23-05-2016, 10:48 AM
Well I finally got my money back via paypal from eBay seller "gonracing-rc " for the front suspension arms he denied ever selling to me ,all very strange as I bought quite a few other bits off him without issue ,I think he just made a mistake and refused to admit it but his loss not mine eventually .
Anyway I have paint and lower arms coming and then she's finished :thumbsup:

Dadio
24-05-2016, 02:29 PM
I had a go at the paint job today ,i,'m going to blame the crappy masking tape for poor results ,instead of crisp edges I got a lot of leeching and its a bit messy ,I hope to replace this shell eventually with a better one at a later date so I can treat this as a learning experience I guess .
I'll post some pictures later when I've had an attempt to tidy up the worst bits.

Dadio
25-05-2016, 01:31 PM
Still not happy after re working the body shell but it will have to do for now , its a traditional box colour scheme but a little simplified .
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/DSCF5667_zpszdgegcfa.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/DSCF5667_zpszdgegcfa.jpg.html)
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/DSCF5665_zpskoiaflmw.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/DSCF5665_zpskoiaflmw.jpg.html)

Dadio
27-05-2016, 02:54 PM
Yay the lower arms arrived ,Boo one of the steering hubs broke on the first test drive :thumbdown: it looks like there's too much end float on the drive shafts and the left one half popped out and broke the hub where the king pin locates .oh well back to the build board .
There does not seem to be any camber on the wheels so I'm thinking that the CNC "C" hub is out of spec allowing excess end float on the shafts .
There was already a small crack on the hub ,I had hoped it would last longer ,ho hum .

Dadio
28-05-2016, 06:55 PM
Well what a day ,I started by terning and milling out a replacement steering hub ,4.5 hours work.
Then it was a really good look at the front dog bones binding up and popping out problem ,now this car has CNC upper arms ,lower arms and C hubs ,somewhere there is some error in tolerance as it leaves the shafts barely into the cups . Now I had a set of RC10 rear shafts not being used so I thought I'd modify them rather than the very rare stock ones ,so it was time to hone down the pins with a diamond hone and cut and shut them, basically cut the shaft in half make up a copper sleve from copper brake pipe and solder the sleve on to the two halves of the shaft adding about 2.5 mm in length ,it took several attempts to get the joints solid enough .
Anyway the long and short of it was the day has ended with a good 20 min run without issue :thumbsup:
Pictures to follow when my daughter is off the PC.

Dadio
28-05-2016, 08:36 PM
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/DSCF5669_zps8tbham7w.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/DSCF5669_zps8tbham7w.jpg.html)
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/DSCF5671_zpsczxmxbjt.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/DSCF5671_zpsczxmxbjt.jpg.html)
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/grandadio/DSCF5673_zps3cqcok7p.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/DSCF5673_zps3cqcok7p.jpg.html)

Dadio
29-05-2016, 09:08 AM
One thing testing has revealed is I need either a stiffer anti roll bar or a second one up front as she lifts a rear wheel on tight corners.

Dadio
29-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Lots of little tweaks today, the brackets on the lower front arrms were giving too much leverage to the shocks and at the same time did not give the suspension full downward travel so I redesigned them ,the front spring was too stiff as well so I fitted a softer one ,now the front is working well .there's little damping going on at either end and plenty of leaking so I've ordered some modern shocks ,not so old school but this is a runner and about half of the pictures of these have different shocks fitted so its a period thing to do.

Peakey
23-08-2017, 09:10 AM
Hi mate, thought I'd dig up your thread as I've just acquired an 834 and was looking for info about them before mine arrives.
Have you still got yours and is it still running?

Dadio
25-09-2017, 05:37 PM
Oops I missed this , yes I still have it and run it from time to time ,still love it , any help you need just ask