View Full Version : Tamiya Astute
lee.willows
20-04-2016, 07:35 AM
Gents,
Getting a Tamiya Astute, is there any things that I need to look out for and also will help with handling etc?
Also looking at putting a 17.5 brushless motor in it, will that be ok for the gearbox and can you advice gear ratio etc?
Thanks for any advise you can give
Regards
Lee
cjm_2008
20-04-2016, 10:28 AM
Gents,
Getting a Tamiya Astute, is there any things that I need to look out for and also will help with handling etc?
Also looking at putting a 17.5 brushless motor in it, will that be ok for the gearbox and can you advice gear ratio etc?
Thanks for any advise you can give
Regards
Lee
Welcome to the mad house 😊
make sure you have the front shock tower brace installed (g4?). Also, grab a set of spare gears off eBay. In terms of ratios, you're stuck with the 0.4 module gears, so run the biggest pinion you can find that will fit and the reduced acceleration should put less strain on the delicate gearbox.
JamieB76
20-04-2016, 04:30 PM
Will be following this thread, I have a Astute in the loft which I am slowly building parts to build a Works replica. Well a rough replica any way.
I was surprised how heavy the car is and also how loose the back end seems to be. Not had a chance to strip it year as I want all the parts to build it back up before I begin.
Post some pics when you get it:thumbsup:
lee.willows
21-04-2016, 08:28 AM
Will post pics and also maybe what mods I make to the car. Think the first thing I might change is the shocks, to a more modern item. But lets see what happens.
cjm_2008
21-04-2016, 11:03 AM
I have some orb racing 3d printed rear hubs for the astute if anyone's interested. I ordered them in error, and they won't fit my super astute.
Hi Lee
With regards to gearing, you can't gear an astute to optimal 17.5 race gearing. The pitch of the spur pinion is 0.6m which is the same as top force. With some careful dremeling of the gear cover you can create enough space for a 26 tooth pinion, coupled with the 70 spur it should go quite quickly.
http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/seekpart.pl?src=cs&pn=BCA3040
That's a good option too
Peakey
29-04-2016, 03:03 PM
Hi Lee
With regards to gearing, you can't gear an astute to optimal 17.5 race gearing. The pitch of the spur pinion is 0.6m which is the same as top force. With some careful dremeling of the gear cover you can create enough space for a 26 tooth pinion, coupled with the 70 spur it should go quite quickly.
http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/seekpart.pl?src=cs&pn=BCA3040
That's a good option too
Bobs stuff is quality and you want to see his shop :o the guy has an aladdins cave of parts
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.