View Full Version : 2009 McLaren
bodgit
16-01-2009, 03:21 PM
http://www.itv-f1.com/photo.aspx?IM_ID=52023&PG_ID=22
ryan_93
16-01-2009, 04:14 PM
That rear wing looks stupid
Jay-m
16-01-2009, 04:15 PM
yer whats happend to the massive ones like last year
it looks like it has been photo-shopped, or Jimmy took the pic with his Fish-Eye lense haha
yer whats happend to the massive ones like last year
That will be the new rules for 2009. All of them will look similar to this.
all it is missing, is the mechanic getting an electric shock from the KERS
telboy
16-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Pics of the new Toyota here - http://www.formula1.com/gallery/launches/2009/345.html
I must say, hats off to all the designers for making the cars look a lot more pleasing than I thought they would.:thumbsup:
I did think they were all going to look toss to be honest.
The rear wing does look stupid though, but theres nothing they can do about it as that is the rules.
I don't know why they didnt leave the wing the same width, and just limit the amount of horizontal planes to 1 and have a limit on its depth. This way the cars would look better, but still reduce the rear downforce, which is what this is all about.
Chris Doughty
16-01-2009, 07:36 PM
the McLaren has got toe-out on the front... :woot:
I wonder what Cree has come up with for the RedBull....
I don't know why they didnt leave the wing the same width, and just limit the amount of horizontal planes to 1 and have a limit on its depth. This way the cars would look better, but still reduce the rear downforce, which is what this is all about.
I think the principle is to leave as little 'bad air' behind the car, so a narrower wing will do that.
Garry Spice
16-01-2009, 07:57 PM
ok,so i may get jumped on again(lee):p.
but what was the best f1 car? 4997 FW14b...hmmm:wub
Southwell
16-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Bet they will be a right handful in the wet with such small wings compared to the previous cars.
telboy
16-01-2009, 08:25 PM
I bet they will, especially with the large front wing as well.
Heidfeld has predicted lots of big accidents this year.
This has to be the best F1 ever. Winning all but one round in 1988 taking Senna to his first title.
If it hadn't been for the Ferrari's scoring a 1-2 in monza, not long after after Enzo Ferrari died, then they would have won every race.
http://m.blog.hu/si/silvermike/image/McLaren%20Mp4%204.jpg
peetbee
17-01-2009, 12:21 AM
This has to be the best F1 ever. Winning all but one round in 1988 taking Senna to his first title.
If it hadn't been for the Ferrari's scoring a 1-2 in monza, not long after after Enzo Ferrari died, then they would have won every race.
If it hadn't been for Jean-Louis Schlesser, then Senna would probably have won that race too.
I'm hoping that the racing makes up for the way the cars look this year. As has already been said, wet races will be interesting.
telboy
17-01-2009, 11:02 AM
If it hadn't been for Jean-Louis Schlesser, then Senna would probably have won that race too.
Exactly. And he was only there standing in for Nigel Mansell because he was ill or something.
peetbee
17-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Exactly. And he was only there standing in for Nigel Mansell because he was ill or something.
It's hard to get past the fact that we're talking about a season from 20 years ago, we must be getting old!
The cars were better back then and the racing....
Garry Spice
19-01-2009, 07:08 PM
how about the little teams that have gone....? simtec,larousse,prost,lotus and footwork.i guess i`ve missed loads.can any one add to the list?
losixxx
19-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Brabham
Jordon
Arrows
Super Aguri
Midland
peetbee
19-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Ligier and Tyrrell - ok became Prost and BAR respectively
How about Hesketh, March and Wolf?
There's lots from the 70's and 80's that didn't even last a whole season!
rich_cree
19-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Honda?!
MattADH
19-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Honda?!
Lets hope not!
And with a Mercedes engine and a couple of their British contracted drivers aboard!!!;)
Garry Spice
19-01-2009, 08:54 PM
sorry matt but honda/merc wont make it....to much work to do before march.i dont think they got a chassis built.any way...5069
5070
williams should go with the blue.:wub
Garry Spice
19-01-2009, 08:58 PM
how about stewart,jordan,jaguar.wasnt there a team who never got thro saturday?
MattADH
19-01-2009, 09:16 PM
sorry matt but honda/merc wont make it....to much work to do before march.i dont think they got a chassis built.any way...5069
5070
williams should go with the blue.:wub
They will have their own package in some form for the new owners but I am unsure as to what will stay. ie if the engines come out of Japan, there wont be any future involvement...
So what do you reckon will happen to Honda then Garry?
telboy
19-01-2009, 10:15 PM
I reckon they'll get bought out by some far eastern millionaire.
Dave Richards just isn't intrested yet until the cost cutting measures show that they'll work.
Chris Ward
19-01-2009, 10:20 PM
wasnt there a team who never got thro saturday?
I think it was Lola in '97 or '98.
losixxx
19-01-2009, 10:40 PM
I reckon they'll get bought out by some far eastern millionaire.
Dave Richards just isn't intrested yet until the cost cutting measures show that they'll work.
more like Honda have paid everyone's redundancy package's then he can bring his own team in...
peetbee
19-01-2009, 10:58 PM
I think it was Lola in '97 or '98.
I think you could be right, they folded after mastercard realised that they weren't getting great value for their money!
In the 80's though there were enough teams for some to fail to get through pre-qualifying on the Friday, let alone make it to Sunday!
Unbelievably Minardi did well enough in their first few seasons to even be challenging for pole!
Anyone else remember Leyton House, Footwork or Andrea Moda?
Garry Spice
20-01-2009, 05:53 AM
a few prob with honda making the grid are,no chassis,engine,gearbox or kers.....razor for jenson! they wont make it or if they do they be miles off the pace.
Pacfic racing Kith Wiggins (Raynard)
Brabham
Mike Earles out fit can not think of its name
Arrows
Shadow
Ligier
Penske
March
ATS
Zakspeed
Force
Just a few more
Honda hopefully will know this week, I am informed it is good news.:)
telboy
20-01-2009, 05:13 PM
I think you could be right, they folded after mastercard realised that they weren't getting great value for their money!
In the 80's though there were enough teams for some to fail to get through pre-qualifying on the Friday, let alone make it to Sunday!
Unbelievably Minardi did well enough in their first few seasons to even be challenging for pole!
Anyone else remember Leyton House, Footwork or Andrea Moda?
Minardi were ace....or should I say PierLuigi Martini was ace. Getting that Minardi near poles and wins took real skill.
Leyton house march, I can always remember Mauricio Gugelemin launching it on to Mansells Ferrari at the start of the french GP in '89.
- http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BMR4a4fHeSs
...look at all the cars!!! a full grid of 26, those were the days!
Footwork were ok. sort of mid field. Can I recall Aguri Suzuki running a marshall over in hungary?
...nope found it. it was aguri suzuki being hit by the 'safety' vehicle.-
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0fp2QId144g
Andrea Moda were just rubbish. :lol:
I always liked the Onyx team and the Simtek, now that was a sexy looking F1 car.
http://www.roland-ratzenberger.com/image_gallery/images/1994/1994%20-%20Simtek%203.jpg
...and the original jordan-
http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/1815/dsjfbsdjbfau3.jpg
Garry Spice
20-01-2009, 06:12 PM
drowl.......7up jordan.:wub
Garry Spice
20-01-2009, 06:13 PM
hmm,sounds abit rude.sorry
Team No Idea
20-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Bring back the turbo charge era !! oh yes indeed !
Old school F1 rules! when men were men and sheep were scared! and F1 cars had gear sticks and bugger all driver protection !
telboy
20-01-2009, 07:52 PM
I can remember when Michael Schumacher tested the Schecter Ferrari from the early '80's-late '70's.
He said that it scared him!! because there was no protection in the cockpit and it was difficult to drive!
Nancy!:lol:
sime46
20-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Honda have a full 09 package to run. They are continuing with low key testing. I know someone on the team. Car is on the sussy rig right now. They wont race without new backing/owners.
7up jordan.:wub
does peter andre know :lol:
TRF_Tastic
20-01-2009, 08:57 PM
more like Honda have paid everyone's redundancy package's then he can bring his own team in...
Most of the current Honda staff Dave Richards had a hand in recruiting, when he was team principle..
peetbee
20-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Minardi were ace....or should I say PierLuigi Martini was ace. Getting that Minardi near poles and wins took real skill.
Leyton house march, I can always remember Mauricio Gugelemin launching it on to Mansells Ferrari at the start of the french GP in '89.
- http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BMR4a4fHeSs
...look at all the cars!!! a full grid of 26, those were the days!
Footwork were ok. sort of mid field. Can I recall Aguri Suzuki running a marshall over in hungary?
...nope found it. it was aguri suzuki being hit by the 'safety' vehicle.-
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0fp2QId144g
Andrea Moda were just rubbish. :lol:
I always liked the Onyx team and the Simtek, now that was a sexy looking F1 car.
Them were definitley the days Terry, some of the in car footage, esp round Monaco, is fantastic with proper gear changes, none of the fancy electronics. The current drivers have it too easy!
Team No Idea
20-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Favorite F1 moment?...... silverstone 1987. mansell leads until he gets a puncture, nips in for new tyres and comes out in 2nd place behind Mr Piquet with about 18 laps or so to go.
Mansell breaks the lap record 11 times to catch and pass piquet with only about 1 lap to go and take the win......... the cars engine had meltdown after the race and had to be thrown away such was the pace Mansell drove..........
next fav moment, Mansell passing Berger for 2nd place at mexico 1990 in the Ferrari, absolutley harry flatters round OUTSIDE on the last corner on the last lap..awesome.
I was born in 1980 and grew up around 80's and early 1990's F1.... Those day of heros seem to be gone.... yes its still got some exitement and drama but nothing like the moments that are etched into my mind from years ago
Garry Spice
21-01-2009, 03:07 PM
5096 bmw is looking good!!!
how about the irvine/senna race in japan?
didnt senna have a wee bit of rage after that?
peetbee
21-01-2009, 03:32 PM
how about the irvine/senna race in japan?
didnt senna have a wee bit of rage after that?
How dare you unlap yourself - Thump!
I still think that the 80's and early 90's were the most exciting to watch - although tbh after Senna's death it lost something - as by that stage most of the exciting drivers had gone.
You couldn't beat Murray and Hunt's commentary either! Let's hope that the BBC's coverage next year will be better - no adverts and no James Allen, hurray!
Garry Spice
21-01-2009, 05:09 PM
heres one for the old boys....best/worst f1 colour schemes?5099.
you know,the ones that really worked or didnt! who remembers that awful
red and yellow of williams sum years ago :blush:or the lovley black and white of sauber?:wub
Nick Goodall
21-01-2009, 05:13 PM
heres one for the old boys....best/worst f1 colour schemes?5099.
you know,the ones that really worked or didnt! who remembers that awful
red and yellow of williams sum years ago :blush:or the lovley black and white of sauber?:wub
Ahh yeah the old Winfield colours on the Williams were pretty bad! I thought last years Renault looked pretty awful personally, and as for that Earth dreams car that Honda did - that looked ok close up but a right state going round the track!
Just found a pic of the Williams, doesn't actually look as bad as i remember!
http://www.diyden.net/Winfield-F1_1.jpg
Nick Goodall
21-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Remember that B.A.R from the first season?
http://atlasf1.autosport.com/news/1999/images/bar5.jpg
I heard originally that they wanted to have one car as 555 colours and the other as the lucky strike but the FIA wouldn't allow it so they did this!
Garry Spice
21-01-2009, 05:26 PM
nope,your right nick.the williams looks ok i thought it was worse than that.have you seen their royal blue for this year? its SWEET!:wub
Nick Goodall
21-01-2009, 05:29 PM
nope,your right nick.the williams looks ok i thought it was worse than that.have you seen their royal blue for this year? its SWEET!:wub
Weird how you remember things being worse :lol:
I used to love that turqoise blue the Leyton house car was painted in too!
I thought the Williams is only painted like that for testing actually??
Garry Spice
21-01-2009, 05:29 PM
5100,bitten and hisses jordan.....nice!
telboy
21-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Isn't the new williams psainted blue, to commemorate it time in F1 or something?
I used to think the first BAR was an awesome colour scheme. To say they couldn't get 2 cars painted up differently like they do in Indycars, I think they did a good job at shuving the finger up at the FIA. :woot:
Hmm wost colour scheme. I have to agree, the red and white williams was gross. A well known old wifes tale that goes round F1 (well, according to Murray Walker) is that, if a car looks fast stood still, then it will be fast on the track....and that Williams looked about as fast as a Reliant Robin in those colours!
I remember all those races that No Idea mentioned. In fact I think I've still got them on VHS somewhere.
My fave moment in f1 has to be Mansell (again) Surprising Senna at Hungary whilst lapping the Onyx of Stephan Johansen.....
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lWCXZgQ3YB4&feature=related
...and thats after qualifying 12th..and going on to win.
Oh..and this-Mansell again-
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iHf-Ru9JwRI&feature=related
...how close do you want to get?
Senna went up to him after the race, and said "Are you 'beep-beeping' crazy!"
:p
Is it me or did Mansell provide some excellent racing?
Robbiejuk
21-01-2009, 10:19 PM
pv1PiC7M3rg&NR
Ignoring the japanese commentary this a great collection of senna v prost.
Team No Idea
22-01-2009, 09:19 AM
My fave moment in f1 has to be Mansell (again) Surprising Senna at Hungary whilst lapping the Onyx of Stephan Johansen.....
Wasn't that the race where Mansell had booked his flight home for mid point in the race as niether the team or Mansell himself belived the car would make it to the end as it was so unreliable?, only to keep the thing going and winning the race.
telboy
22-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Just watching that clip that robbie put up.
The bit from silverstone is brilliant. Showing how god Senna was with an uncompetetive car, and the way Prost gets it sideways (33secs in), when Senna holds onto the outside line!! Brilliant.
Prost was very quick in an F1 car...he just couldn't race.
You rarely saw prost putting good moves on people.
He just had no answer when Senna put his car round the outside.
Team No Idea
22-01-2009, 03:37 PM
love the clip from Monaco with senna pointing at prost as they cross the line and stuffing him going up the hill, AWESOME:thumbsup:
Alfonzo
22-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Worst looking car in F1? The Honda Earth thing. They were doomed as soon as they rolled that pile of poo out. It wouldn't have mattered if it had a 'Back to The Furture' warp drive in, painted like that it had to fail.
Team No Idea
22-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Yep, im with you on that one. :D
Team No Idea
22-01-2009, 03:57 PM
anyone remember the Forti ford? a bright yellow thing from about 1995.......... i think it was a Brazillian team or something, anyway, it was pants.
Nick Goodall
22-01-2009, 04:52 PM
anyone remember the Forti ford? a bright yellow thing from about 1995.......... i think it was a Brazillian team or something, anyway, it was pants.
Haha yeah!!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3d/Roberto_Moreno_Forti_1995_Britain_(crop).jpg/250px-Roberto_Moreno_Forti_1995_Britain_(crop).jpg
Just as bad were the Pacific team but they looked cool at the time!!
http://www.f1rejects.com/teams/pacific/profile/canada.jpg
Nick Goodall
22-01-2009, 04:58 PM
What about the old Leyton House was cool at the time too:
http://philippetorres.free.fr/capelli.jpg
Do you remember the old Loctite Lotus that was sponsored by Tamiya? I remember looking round one and it had Tamiya logos on the front wing.
http://www.f1rejects.com/centrale/submitted/lotus/94-herbert-f1-montreal.jpg
Team No Idea
22-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Haha yeah!!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3d/Roberto_Moreno_Forti_1995_Britain_(crop).jpg/250px-Roberto_Moreno_Forti_1995_Britain_(crop).jpg
Just as bad were the Pacific team but they looked cool at the time!!
Ahh Pacific team yeah!, i saw one of those in a Thourghbread grand prix meeting about a year ago... still painted the same colour!
Team No Idea
22-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Anyone remember these 2 Grand prix finishes?
#1 Monza 1993, a certain Mr Hill took the win but it was Christian fittipaldi making the headlines when he piled in to the back of team mate P.L.Martini, he flipped over, landed on his wheels and crossed the line to finnish the race!. lol.
#2 Senna (JPS Lotus) and Mansell (williams) 198...6? at Jerez in Spain (i think), Mansell and senna battling for lead, Nige had to pit for tyres and came out in 3rd. He faught back up to the gearbox of Senna's Lotus on the last lap and tried to pass down the final straight towards the flag..... Senna won by something like 14000's of a second, closest win in history?
telboy
22-01-2009, 07:31 PM
I think Flippipaldi, was the only person to finish a GP 10 ft in the air and upside down wasn't he?! lol
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vv2kxImg4vc
Yeah, mansell thought he'd won, because the night before, the finishline was 20yards further up the track. But for some reason they'd moved it back down the track for the race?:eh?:
Anyone remember Michael Andretti's (short) F1 carer?
This video pretty much summed up his career-
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-22hDvx3R5U
22hDvx3R5U
telboy
22-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Why is it when I try to put a video from youtube up, it never works?
Even when I do [youtube] the stuff?
Garry Spice
09-02-2009, 11:54 AM
5375 minus webbers plaster cast!!!
Garry Spice
09-02-2009, 05:39 PM
5377 heres a better picture.looks nice!!!:wub
Jimbo
11-02-2009, 04:35 AM
You lucky sods get F1 free to air, us poor lackies in the colonies have to get by Sky, which we can't afford :cry:
Even though I dislike the rear wing, it is really interesting to see such wildly different aero on the cars..
BMW with the Walrus snout (LOL), and Redbull with the ant eater nose way up high in the air (fragile, but i suppose all f1 cars are fragile!) it's just fantastic to see, and will be great to see how they come out on race day.
Tetsting results I heard were Toyota fastest at Baharain and Red Bull fastest somewhere else?
Hopefully it'll shake up the big boys
I have a few F1 history books, and I just love checking out the various ideas. At one stage in the early 80's (I think) the fad was to run NO front wings at all!! I got a pic where the entire grid, Mclarens and all, are bereft of front downforce, like, what were they thinking?
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/nikilauda_mclaren-cosworth_longbeach_1982.jpg
My favourite unsuccesful team has to be Copersucar team.
And fav pic is one where the entire grid is blaring down the start straight and there are two cars (one a Benneton) perfectly perpendicular to the direction they are skidding. It looks like they've been parked there, but you know they're all going 100's of km/hr, if only I could find it to show you guys, but it seems so preposterous to look at it..
Sorry for the long post, I love the topic/s, please, keep on!
bodgit
13-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Hamilton fastest in Spain testing
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45472000/jpg/_45472732_hamiltonborder226.jpg Hamilton was driving the MP4-24 for just the second time in Jerez
World champion Lewis Hamilton set the pace for McLaren as Formula One's teams continued pre-season testing at the Jerez circuit in Spain.
The MP4-24 was the fastest of the 2009 specification cars as Hamilton completed 93 laps, setting a fastest time of one minute 20.737 seconds.
"I'm very encouraged by what I felt," said Hamilton. "The car feels strong, very similar to last year's car."
Meanwhile, Ferrari's test in Bahrain was halted by a sandstorm. In Jerez, Hamilton was followed closely by new Red Bull recruit Sebastian Vettel, who was just one thousandth of a second behind the world champion in the RB5, which was unveiled on Monday. Williams' Kazuki Nakajima was just 0.161 secs down on Hamilton, with Renault's Fernando Alonso, who notched up 133 laps, just over four tenths of a second further back
This is looking really good for the spectators at last the cars seem to be almost evenly matched
Garry Spice
07-03-2009, 09:39 AM
5700 brawn 001 with jenson at the wheel!
Welshy40
07-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Hamilton fastest in Spain testing
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45472000/jpg/_45472732_hamiltonborder226.jpg Hamilton was driving the MP4-24 for just the second time in Jerez
World champion Lewis Hamilton set the pace for McLaren as Formula One's teams continued pre-season testing at the Jerez circuit in Spain.
The MP4-24 was the fastest of the 2009 specification cars as Hamilton completed 93 laps, setting a fastest time of one minute 20.737 seconds.
"I'm very encouraged by what I felt," said Hamilton. "The car feels strong, very similar to last year's car."
Meanwhile, Ferrari's test in Bahrain was halted by a sandstorm. In Jerez, Hamilton was followed closely by new Red Bull recruit Sebastian Vettel, who was just one thousandth of a second behind the world champion in the RB5, which was unveiled on Monday. Williams' Kazuki Nakajima was just 0.161 secs down on Hamilton, with Renault's Fernando Alonso, who notched up 133 laps, just over four tenths of a second further back
This is looking really good for the spectators at last the cars seem to be almost evenly matched
Bang on, his McLaren house is just down the road from where I live, same as his office.
xjr14
08-03-2009, 12:23 AM
well, I`m not really believng anything McLaren is doing right now....2008 wing on the car, then 2009, then a few days ago just before the day ends, just to post a grest laptime again the 2008 wing....I hope they struggle like hell!!! don`t get me wrong, I used to like McLaren, before they joined ventures with Mercedes.... Just hope the new regulations turn everything upside down!...and let us know what "wunderkind" (german) Hamilton can do in a "underdog-car"....and by the way, the current top racer alonso... :blush: I know some of you may not like him, in my opinion still the best overall today, let`s get it on! 3 (!!!) weeks to go, or in students terms (my terms) 2 exams to go!......
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6419&start=90
...my favourite team since Jaguar went down!
Garry Spice
08-03-2009, 07:46 AM
5708 well,that it....all the cars for this year
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.