View Full Version : NEW 4WD FROM THE TEAM???????
The_doctor
04-11-2016, 12:27 AM
R WE EVER GOING TO C A NEW 4WD FOR THEM OR WHAT??????????:thumbdown:
neallewis
04-11-2016, 01:04 AM
They may have cobbled something together for the 2017 Worlds in China, and then release a kit to buy afterwards (if its any good), with the same sort of timings as B6 after the 2015 worlds. Don't expect one for Christmas, it's simply not going to happen.
The_doctor
04-11-2016, 07:56 AM
What surface is t track this time :m:confused:ad:
neallewis
16-11-2016, 10:06 PM
looks like a B44.5 is dropping soon. AE Website gave it away, but it's now been pulled.
Likely a rehash of the old B44 platform for some revived sales, not a new platform people had hoped for.
Interesting, do you have a source that's prompted those thoughts Neal?
RDG 40
16-11-2016, 10:44 PM
http://www.liverc.com/news/announcements/13341-BREAKING%3A_Team_Associated_preparing_to_introduce _new_4WD_buggy_-_the_B44.5%3F/
neallewis
16-11-2016, 10:48 PM
Interesting, do you have a source that's prompted those thoughts Neal?
Yes, someone from Associated, employed by them. I may of course be completely wrong, won't be the first time, but my source told me the new 4wd platform was a very long way off. I'm therefore speculating that any B44.X revision released now is based on the old car platform.
Edit: plus it's an EOS weekend, so ideal timing to drop something and have the world see it before Christmas.
RDG 40
16-11-2016, 11:29 PM
Looking promising
neallewis
16-11-2016, 11:35 PM
Looking promising
Looks like the old b44 (11mm?) front Hexes, which suggests it's the same track width, as it'll use the same front wheels. looks mostly metric though, perhaps?
RDG 40
16-11-2016, 11:38 PM
They are the 12mm hexes we all run already �� Can tell your AE knowlege is lacking compared to yokomo mr lewis tut tut
neallewis
16-11-2016, 11:45 PM
They are the 12mm hexes we all run already �� Can tell your AE knowlege is lacking compared to yokomo mr lewis tut tut
I was just comparing the size of the front hex, with that of the rear hex in relation to the wheel nuts. they are different sized hexes in the photos. The nuts do look metric though, and metric printing on the shafts.
Looks like B5 hardware (lots left in the parts bin) and B6 rear hubs?
stegger
16-11-2016, 11:45 PM
:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::w oot::woot::woot::woot::woot:looks like a B44.5 is dropping soon. AE Website gave it away, but it's now been pulled.
Likely a rehash of the old B44 platform for some revived sales, not a new platform people had hoped for.
Northy
17-11-2016, 08:55 AM
Apparently there's a lot of AE drivers booked into 4wd at this EOS? :confused:
wezzer
17-11-2016, 10:05 AM
:lol: love the speculation in this thread :lol:
andrewc
17-11-2016, 10:17 AM
Speculation in here is nothing compared to RC tech thread!:lol::lol::lol:
wezzer
17-11-2016, 10:53 AM
:lol::lol::lol: i know man,,,,,, soooo funny :thumbsup:
neallewis
17-11-2016, 03:29 PM
Maybe the website template images were found ahead of time, and they just threw out some prototype pics to keep the buzz going. Perhaps it won't be at EOS after-all? I'd have expected the full enchilada for a launch, and EOS would be the venue if its a carpet/astro car.
Cavalieri is going to an 8th race in Spain, not EOS.
Neil Cragg isn't booked in for 4wd.
When they launched the B6, none of the US AE team appeared on the booked in list also, so you can't go by that. Place bets on seeing it at EOS? if is doesn't then my source was right, its still a long way off.
Either way, its created a buzz about it.
J77MYF
17-11-2016, 04:37 PM
Maybe the website template images were found ahead of time, and they just threw out some prototype pics to keep the buzz going. Perhaps it won't be at EOS after-all? I'd have expected the full enchilada for a launch, and EOS would be the venue if its a carpet/astro car.
Cavalieri is going to an 8th race in Spain, not EOS.
Neil Cragg isn't booked in for 4wd.
When they launched the B6, none of the US AE team appeared on the booked in list also, so you can't go by that. Place bets on seeing it at EOS? if is doesn't then my source was right, its still a long way off.
Either way, its created a buzz about it.
You'll be putting your name down for one Neal :thumbsup:
neallewis
18-11-2016, 02:25 PM
it's a no-show at EOS, so I guess the website template release caught them out, and they threw out the clear wishbone pictures to gain some traction. What's the next big event? Reedy Race in Jan? Next EOS is at Hudy in Feb.
AfroP
18-11-2016, 03:54 PM
The original website was a fake that was done by a random.
Later in the day the official site page popped up with place holder images.
The 3D printed clear parts images have since been released by Team Associated in prep for a launch of a new 4wd
All the speculation of a new 4wd was sparked by Cav posting images to instagram with his worlds B44 and BJ4 being cleaned up and ready for a special photo shoot
cutting42
18-11-2016, 07:40 PM
Ahem
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/s960x960/15039661_10154120564726864_8627350929957050853_o.j pg
AfroP
18-11-2016, 08:56 PM
Looks similar to the xb4 with alloy central chassis and moulded side pods. Quite different to other B44 platforms
Roscopeco
18-11-2016, 09:28 PM
This is looking good :)
andrewc
18-11-2016, 09:33 PM
And more! Right hand servo, front loaded diff?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BM91_IoAKuH/
stegger
18-11-2016, 10:16 PM
And more! Right hand servo, front loaded diff?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BM91_IoAKuH/
It looks like :)
neallewis
19-11-2016, 01:06 AM
AE XB44.5 2017 Factory Team :thumbsup:
Actually it looks pretty good. It needs to be.
Has everybody forgotten about the B-Max4III already? :D
Actually I like what I have seen so far, and considering the progress in quality AE has made in the last few years and their competitive prices, I may end up with one of those in the long run to complement my YZ-4. But my next ride will be a stadium truck to replace my T4, Xray, TLR or whatever.
Next pic:
https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/15032782_10154121090726864_2491901120717858632_n.j pg?oh=cf95f00f2f1b180b890059485b4a639e&oe=58D205C6
Next few pics from AE's facebook page. I don't know if I like the lack of verticl inner ballstuds.:confused:
https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15078966_10154128485486864_4898702551678278798_n.j pg?oh=e1b9e02ad91c5ce7176413310962e1c2&oe=58B54E5A
https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15178180_10154130022636864_7740644682360676051_n.j pg?oh=28a95b221d5bc8e1515e343e268cc065&oe=58C0E387
neallewis
22-11-2016, 08:58 PM
Next few pics from AE's facebook page. I don't know if I like the lack of verticl inner ballstuds.:confused:
It just opens the doors for wacky after market carbon towers with loads of holes.
It looks good so far, but it has to. When I was told they had no one working on it, it was either a slight mis-truth, or they have worked very fast...
RDG 40
22-11-2016, 11:11 PM
B64 it is then
wezzer
23-11-2016, 12:34 PM
just as Neal predicted............. oh wait :lol:
dazp83
23-11-2016, 01:12 PM
Here's your red herring Neal.
neallewis
23-11-2016, 01:51 PM
Thanks. but when told what i was from a very reliable employee of AE... :lol:
It's still not out yet, don't be getting your hopes up for christmas :p
wezzer
23-11-2016, 01:59 PM
:thumbsup: i will wait until we get it on our price list before i get too excited Neal :thumbsup: but thanks for the heads up ;-)
Allan1875
23-11-2016, 03:20 PM
Thanks. but when told what i was from a very reliable employee of AE... :lol:
It's still not out yet, don't be getting your hopes up for christmas :p
I did say..... lol :D
It doesn't really matter either way though.
moleman
23-11-2016, 08:46 PM
https://www.teamassociated.com/news/latest_products/1916-new_rc10b64d_team_kit/
johnboy
23-11-2016, 09:08 PM
See as part of the advert at the bottom it's says an Astro/carpet car coming
Very soon as well
So is there a carpet/astro version coming as with the B6/B6D?
Answered my own questions as it says on the bottom of the attachment that a carpet turf version is coming
AfroP
24-11-2016, 10:26 AM
looks very much like a bmax 4 III and XB4
but still quite interesting
J77MYF
24-11-2016, 12:51 PM
I'm a bit disappointed that there's going to be two cars. I don't mind two 2wd cars but two 4wd cars :o
If you mainly race 4wd then it's no big deal but my main class is 2wd and I don't think I'd get enough use from them to justify it. I think I'll wait to see which one is the best all rounder and go for that :yawn: I'm guessing the carpet version.
charlesk
24-11-2016, 01:34 PM
I'm a bit disappointed that there's going to be two cars. I don't mind two 2wd cars but two 4wd cars :o
If you mainly race 4wd then it's no big deal but my main class is 2wd and I don't think I'd get enough use from them to justify it. I think I'll wait to see which one is the best all rounder and go for that :yawn: I'm guessing the carpet version.
It'll all depends on the differences between the 2 models. I suspect (don't know, pure speculation ), slipper and hard plastics being the main differences.
And it entirely depends on what surface you run the most in which will be the better allrounder.
I'm also a bit disappointed that they are starting a trend for more than 1 4wd, but like my 2wd, I simply refuse to run 2 cars. Instead I have the parts that I want for different conditions. Maybe not the easiest way, but it's my choice...
Richard Lowe
24-11-2016, 02:14 PM
It'll all depends on the differences between the 2 models. I suspect (don't know, pure speculation ), slipper and hard plastics being the main differences...
I'd guess that will be the case too, not a whole lot else to change on a 4wd besides maybe a heavier chassis for the high grip car?
I reckon whatever the spec's of both cars people will end up with a mixture of parts that works for them, like the guys in the US that all seem to be settling on the B6D but with the laydown gearbox.
AfroP
24-11-2016, 04:52 PM
i'd imagine the biggest difference between the 2 versions will be the center geared diff.
I dont see that being a feature used by many in carpet/turf conditions
Allan1875
24-11-2016, 07:00 PM
I'd guess that will be the case too, not a whole lot else to change on a 4wd besides maybe a heavier chassis for the high grip car?
I reckon whatever the spec's of both cars people will end up with a mixture of parts that works for them, like the guys in the US that all seem to be settling on the B6D but with the laydown gearbox.
Possibly a fuller top deck for reduced flex but that's all I can really think of.
neallewis
24-11-2016, 10:41 PM
I did say..... lol :D
It doesn't really matter either way though.
It's a given i'm clearly the expert in all knowledge on this matter :P so i'll make prediction now. Dirt version to debut at the Reedy race in Jan, and the carpet/astro version to debut at EOS Feb 2017 at Hudy arena. Will be fantastic to see the AE team take it to hudy and spank the xrays on home turf.
arceye
24-11-2016, 11:16 PM
Cos the yokomo's keep trying but get no where. :thumbsup:
The_doctor
24-11-2016, 11:41 PM
YeA new car sick too!!!
jpmatrix
25-11-2016, 06:43 AM
It'll all depends on the differences between the 2 models. I suspect (don't know, pure speculation ), slipper and hard plastics being the main differences.
And it entirely depends on what surface you run the most in which will be the better allrounder.
I'm also a bit disappointed that they are starting a trend for more than 1 4wd, but like my 2wd, I simply refuse to run 2 cars. Instead I have the parts that I want for different conditions. Maybe not the easiest way, but it's my choice...
I agree with this trend of companies selling 2 cars for different conditions and now we are seeing it in 4wd ; it's just a way of milking money out of us. No doubt other companies are going to follow suit and we are going to see high and low grip versions of the 4wd platform.
Not everybody like myself can afford 2 buggies and of course all the electrics to go with it.
A 2wd kit alone costs on average £300 + £250 minimum for electrics so you are looking at £1000 + for 2 cars. Way out of my budget.
J77MYF
25-11-2016, 08:59 AM
I agree with this trend of companies selling 2 cars for different conditions and now we are seeing it in 4wd ; it's just a way of milking money out of us. No doubt other companies are going to follow suit and we are going to see high and low grip versions of the 4wd platform.
Not everybody like myself can afford 2 buggies and of course all the electrics to go with it.
A 2wd kit alone costs on average £300 + £250 minimum for electrics so you are looking at £1000 + for 2 cars. Way out of my budget.
I agree. By the time you've got the car and kitted it out with decent stuff you can be approaching £1000.
AfroP
25-11-2016, 11:45 AM
I think in terms of 4wd its a bit silly and greedy to have 2 different cars.
I doubt that there could be much thats changed between dirt and carpet
SteveP9685
25-11-2016, 01:22 PM
Think the main difference between the two versions will be the diff's, Dirt version will be ball diff's and the Carpet/Astro version will be gear diff's....let's face it if the car came with Ball Diff's as standard we would all be complaining that we had to buy the Gear Diff's and the guys in the states would be complaining if the car came with Gear Diff's as standard.
Having had the expense of purchasing Gear Diff's in my Kyosho ZX6 then I for one am happy that we have a specific version for 90% of current UK tracks....:thumbsup:
Allan1875
25-11-2016, 01:35 PM
Think the main difference between the two versions will be the diff's, Dirt version will be ball diff's and the Carpet/Astro version will be gear diff's....let's face it if the car came with Ball Diff's as standard we would all be complaining that we had to buy the Gear Diff's and the guys in the states would be complaining if the car came with Gear Diff's as standard.
Having had the expense of purchasing Gear Diff's in my Kyosho ZX6 then I for one am happy that we have a specific version for 90% of current UK tracks....:thumbsup:
Ball diffs? I find that unlikely.
If you go on the associated website and look at the picture it shows the gear diffs:
https://www.teamassociated.com/pictures/cars_and_trucks/RC10B64D/Team_Kit/photos/44-B64D_FnR_Diff_sm.jpg
feniks
25-11-2016, 02:04 PM
I dont race 2 wd and if i do its 1 maybe 2 races in a year so i have the same problem need 2 cars .
That most brands bring out 2 cars in 4wd aswell i find that a good thing . Use the dirt for dirt or on wet astro and the carpet one for good conditions .
Saves u a lot of hussel when during a race day when it starts 2 rain .
And indeed it costs a lot .
So mostlyfirst year i have one car and the next i bye a new one and the old car becomes the wet and dirt car .
Eder way i find that the car looks damm good and think it will have lots of potential .
jpmatrix
25-11-2016, 04:38 PM
I dont race 2 wd and if i do its 1 maybe 2 races in a year so i have the same problem need 2 cars .
That most brands bring out 2 cars in 4wd aswell i find that a good thing . Use the dirt for dirt or on wet astro and the carpet one for good conditions .
Saves u a lot of hussel when during a race day when it starts 2 rain .
And indeed it costs a lot .
So mostlyfirst year i have one car and the next i bye a new one and the old car becomes the wet and dirt car .
Eder way i find that the car looks damm good and think it will have lots of potential .
But that's my point, I don't want to spend £700 on 2 different 4wd kits alone.
There should be one car that can perform in wet and dry conditions with minor changes to setup. It's a marketing ploy IMO.
jpmatrix
25-11-2016, 04:40 PM
But that's my point, I don't want to spend £700 on 2 different 4wd kits alone.
There should be one car that can perform in wet and dry conditions with minor changes to setup. It's a marketing ploy IMO.
My apologies for going off topic.
dazp83
25-11-2016, 05:52 PM
Surely any 'dirt' car is designed for the usa and not applicable here, so seems good you won't have to buy parts to run on our surfaces.
Novice
25-11-2016, 06:49 PM
But that's my point, I don't want to spend £700 on 2 different 4wd kits alone.
There should be one car that can perform in wet and dry conditions with minor changes to setup. It's a marketing ploy IMO.
My apologies for going off topic.
I completely agree with you , but its us who are being sucked in to buying 2 cars the manufacturers have to develop 2 cars to compete with each other at the top end with top drivers . Remember we as club racers don't have to buy both as 99% of us are not capable of driving the car to the limit no matter what spec it is . Even if I had a carpet car on a carpet track and the other more experienced and talented drivers from my club had dirt cars on the same track they would still be lapping me . At the end of the day most of us will just adjust one car for any conditions and there is really no need for 2 but I am like everyone else who would love to have the latest version of the latest car , Is this one of the reasons why vintage is gaining in popularity ? Remember when we used to race for the fun of it.
J77MYF
25-11-2016, 07:48 PM
I like the way kyosho have included everything in their new 2wd kit. It's a bit more money but you've got everything you'll ever need and more in one box.
discostu
25-11-2016, 08:10 PM
My apologies for going off topic.
Don't buy it then
alex97
25-11-2016, 08:17 PM
I'd rather that they made two cars for different surfaces. This way the customer has the choices to pick which one will suit them best. You're not obliged to buy both but personally I'd rather that they don't have a one car fits all philosophy.
D20MCK
25-11-2016, 08:37 PM
Surely any 'dirt' car is designed for the usa and not applicable here, so seems good you won't have to buy parts to run on our surfaces.
I'm getting the 'dirt' version of this, I race in Scotland and we don't have high grip tracks, we race on grass most of the time. Not all of the astro tracks are high grip more medium grip and this car will work just as well as anything.
Everyone is so critical in this hobby, never happy with something new and then the fan boys come out say it's a copy.
tyreman
25-11-2016, 09:21 PM
I like the way kyosho have included everything in their new 2wd kit. It's a bit more money but you've got everything you'll ever need and more in one box.
Thats fine until you need a dry car but it's built up in the wet/low grip car, you would be looking at least 30 mins to swap them over.
J77MYF
25-11-2016, 11:18 PM
Thats fine until you need a dry car but it's built up in the wet/low grip car, you would be looking at least 30 mins to swap them over.
Yeah I'd probably end up soldiering on with it rather than swapping half of the car over, especially if it was covered in wet mud and/or sand. Either way I'm looking forward to seeing it in action :thumbsup:
dazt21
26-11-2016, 08:40 AM
Definitely cant wait to see this car in action should be great excited to see the differences with the carpet/astro car too
Origineelreclamebord
26-11-2016, 08:51 AM
I think people shouldn't be too afraid about requiring two 4WDs. In short, I think the differences in design and layout between low- and high-grip 2WDs are bigger than low- and high-grip 4WDs.
Imagine what the astro version might look like: A slipper, hard A-arms, slightly different shock towers, some top deck mods, different kit springs & anti-roll bars and different roll centre settings with the adjustability that's already there...
The differences are not nearly as big as you see with 2WD, and for 2WD there is a wide range of grip where both LCG and HCG gearboxes are both competitive in their own way. If that's the case with 2WD I don't see why this would be different with 4WD. Ask yourself this: Isn't it that you need two 4WDs only as much as you're letting yourself be tempted to?
All in all I think it's really cool that a new Asso 4WD is finally around the corner. It's clearly inspired by other cars out there, but I guess at this time Asso benefits more from having a car with solid performance and familiar design rather than something unique that might not work well.
shark
26-11-2016, 10:45 AM
Where's the like button! Well said .
wezzer
28-11-2016, 11:52 AM
ditto ^^^ well said ^^^ :thumbsup:
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.