PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft pin removal


Charliebeagle
19-04-2017, 05:01 PM
Any tips on removing the pins other than spending £100 on a hiddy pin tool :-/
Cheers

dwp102
19-04-2017, 05:28 PM
Put it in a vice, knock it with a hammer until one side is flat. Get a nail and tap it through a bit further. Then tap the new pin through. I use a ball cup to hold the new pin steady. But anything will do as long as its a similar diameter to the pin.

bigt
19-04-2017, 07:00 PM
put a pinion over one pin and press it with the vice then new pin in pinnose
pliers and back in the vice and push home

Candyman
20-04-2017, 02:22 PM
Or buy one of these for £15.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3mm-Driveshaft-Pin-Replacement-Tool-for-1-8th-driveshafts-/192143391341?hash=item2cbca37a6d:g:65QAAOSwubRXNPq 7

does the same job. I just sold the last one but I will be making more this weekend.

mattr
20-04-2017, 03:13 PM
How much to post one to sweden?

bigt
20-04-2017, 04:07 PM
nice tool a pair of 2.5mm holed bolts with it aswell would be cool

Robocop
20-04-2017, 04:15 PM
I got the Mugan seki one pin tool easily the best I have used can be done at the track

Ross
20-04-2017, 09:17 PM
Or buy one of these for £15.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3mm-Driveshaft-Pin-Replacement-Tool-for-1-8th-driveshafts-/192143391341?hash=item2cbca37a6d:g:65QAAOSwubRXNPq 7

does the same job. I just sold the last one but I will be making more this weekend.


This is by far the best tool for replacing drive pins. Ryan does a 2.5mm and 3mm version.

I changed a set of pins on a spare set of Yokomo rear shafts in around 8-10 minutes with this tool :thumbsup:

Doovde
21-04-2017, 10:21 AM
£15 for a coupling nut with a hole drilled through it and 3 bolts? i'm in the wrong business...

Candyman
21-04-2017, 11:13 AM
you should try making one, see how easy it is :).

Doovde
21-04-2017, 07:18 PM
Funny you say that, i'm not long home from doing so. Nice fresh drill bit and a good punch made it a breeze. works brilliantly too!

Ross
21-04-2017, 07:55 PM
£15 for a coupling nut with a hole drilled through it and 3 bolts? i'm in the wrong business...

Think you will find it made from hex bar and machined, not a big nut with a hole drilled in it lol:woot::woot::p

Candyman
22-04-2017, 02:21 PM
wow, you'll have to let me know how you do that, I need a mill and a lathe to make them!



Funny you say that, i'm not long home from doing so. Nice fresh drill bit and a good punch made it a breeze. works brilliantly too!

Doovde
23-04-2017, 07:44 PM
I'd thought about firing up the lathe to thread it all one direction as the coupling nuts are threaded from both ends to accommodate for threading in both ends with normal bolts, but its unnecessary as once the bottom bolt is needed there is loads of room to press with the other.

If there is interest i can throw up a quick guide to show how to make one at home with basic tools any home gamer should have kicking about.