PDA

View Full Version : Gas powered soldering iron?


JustinWood
23-06-2017, 07:04 PM
Decided to change my motor today and got mighty frustrated by my 240v 25W Antex.

So I need to upgrade the iron to something 80w ish. Ideally I would have something that I can use in the field, but 12v high watt irons are scarce and expensive.

I read about Antex and Weller cordless irons that use butane gas, with high output eg 120w and temp up to 580 degrees. Has anyone come across these sort of irons, and if so are they worth it? Many thanks

Mugenextreme
24-06-2017, 06:30 AM
I use a portasol gas iron . This iron has worked fine for me when using to resolder my 1.8th esc and motor.
http://www.portasol.com/product-r3.asp?P_ID=327

Zippy G
24-06-2017, 08:00 AM
The portasol is a good call, I have one for when there's no mains available.
Check this out on eBay, item no.
380592832597

Good luck:thumbsup:

Hairy Spider
24-06-2017, 08:09 AM
FWIW, I've been using an Iroda Solderpro 180 for years. Cracking iron with a good selection of tips available. Soldered in wind plenty of times with it and it has replaced my 240v iron at home.

http://www.pro-iroda.com/pro180.htm

I've also recently got a Solderpro 50 for precision work.
http://www.pro-iroda.com/pro50.htm

reelman_fishing
24-06-2017, 12:47 PM
PLUS one for the portasol Super Pro 125, had one for six years knocks spots of the rest

JustinWood
24-06-2017, 03:46 PM
Thanks everyone - just ordered the Protasol which seemed to do everything, had great feedback, and was widely available. Thanks for all the help