PDA

View Full Version : E bay madness!!! HELP!!


GRIFF55
10-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Hi all, during today after loads of password changes and reporting all 60 odd item numbers someone has still gained access to our ebay account!!!
they have bid on mobile phones only with max bids of £999 on each totalling £60 grand in one day:o. they changed our email address on the account too. Ebay have made most null and void today but not all.
We are unable to contact anyone to sort this shit out.

Has anyone got any ideas what to do or seen this sort of scam before?

cheers

DCM
10-02-2009, 10:23 PM
can you not suspend the account via eBay? Not a nice thing to be happening dude!!

GRIFF55
10-02-2009, 10:29 PM
nah its not nice mate. how are they making cash out of this though????
Can't access the account as they have changed the password, so if we go lost pasword they will have all personal details then too???

DaveG28
10-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Andy,

try 0208 0802105

I was got this time last year:mad: Took six months to get half the money back off ebay:mad::thumbdown::thumbdown:

The only uside was the hacker signed me up to loads of expensive ebay stuff so I got on their preferred customer list which mean't i got the phone number.

My advice is make them clear all transactions up bfore their next billing date, my problems were from being too slow to notice some of it.

Also, check they haven't signed you up for any "subscriptions" on your account!

phil c
10-02-2009, 10:33 PM
cant you ring ebays help line number , and see what they can sort out for you ?, or leave the country

GRIFF55
10-02-2009, 10:56 PM
I've reported all as fraudulent activity and they have mostly dissapeared from our account now, all bar roughly £4000 worth.
Where do they take the money from to pay for all the items anyhow? i thought paypal was a separate concern???

DaveG28
10-02-2009, 11:00 PM
I've reported all as fraudulent activity and they have mostly dissapeared from our account now, all bar roughly £4000 worth.
Where do they take the money from to pay for all the items anyhow? i thought paypal was a separate concern???

Well, for me the tiems the hacker bought weren't the problem, was all ok, but he signed up for ebay subscriptions, and ebay invoice you monthly then just take it from your paypal account!!!

Lets just say they are aeparate concerns when it suits them, not so spearate when it doesn't!!

As long as he didn't sign you up for any ebay charges you should be fine though!!

GRIFF55
10-02-2009, 11:06 PM
As long as he didn't sign you up for any ebay charges you should be fine though!![/quote]

Cheers Dave, i'll keep a regular check on that then. What subscriptions are there then?

DaveG28
10-02-2009, 11:16 PM
I think theres a subscriptions section? I think its mainly for selling, my t**t of a scammer signed up for "seller pro" which appeared to be a sales/stock management system, @ a cool £300 per month :cool:

Well, cool for him....

dodgydiy
10-02-2009, 11:36 PM
andy, run spybot on yourr pc and use any other security software you have, my bank details got had a few years ago by someone with a keylogger, basically they receive everything you type so whatever you do password wise they would know, check your bank statements too. see you at club if you are there tomorrow

_JP_
11-02-2009, 01:05 AM
I would download AVG, spybot search and destroy, get the updates then disconnect from the internet and run a scan quick!

Maybe use another PC and change any important passwords like online banking and email accounts.

DaveG28
11-02-2009, 01:16 AM
The other thing is check your email. With mine they didn't hack eBay, they hacked my email, used it to reset my eBay password, then changed the email address on the eBay account. I spotted it because although they deleted the emails from eBay about password reset, they didn't empty the deleted items folder so I spotted them in there!

bodgit
11-02-2009, 07:08 AM
It might be a good idea to contact your bank and cancel any payments to paypal in case ebay decide to charge you now and sort it out later.
In fact it might be safer to cancel your bank account/credit card altogether and set up a new one so any bank details the scammer may hold will be of no use to them.
Also would the police get involved as there must be some way to track down the bids to the computor that made them (prob some int cafe in africa)
good luck

Southwell
11-02-2009, 07:56 AM
The other thing is check your email. With mine they didn't hack eBay, they hacked my email, used it to reset my eBay password, then changed the email address on the eBay account. I spotted it because although they deleted the emails from eBay about password reset, they didn't empty the deleted items folder so I spotted them in there!

I was going to suggest this, i would expect they gained access from your email, not ebay. Change all your passwords and get a decent firewall installed and antivirus scan run.

Rich D
11-02-2009, 08:11 AM
If you use ADSL then using a NAT router acts as a firewall and you dont need to worry about installing a third party one.

I use the Netgear DG834G - it does everything.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_adslrouter_dg834g.php

If you are unsure how secure your pc is then check here at GRC.com

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Click proceed and then "all Service ports" - you will be told of any vulnerabilities or open ports on your system. The guy who runs the site is an internet security professional. One of the most qualified people in the world on the subject.

I never open any joke emails or emails from people i dont know with attachments. Nor do i open those emails that ARE from someone i know but have been sent to 300 people before me too. You just have no clue as to whats installing itself on your machine when you start opening email attachments.

For Antivirus, i use BitDefender, its what Steve Gibson at GRC.com recommended - its free too.

HTH

Alfonzo
11-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Problem is I get so confused and paranoid about all this online fraud malarky that I end up doing nothing for fear of making the wrong move. How do we know this GRC.com guy is the real deal :confused:

Makes my head hurt.

Southwell
11-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Problem is I get so confused and paranoid about all this online fraud malarky that I end up doing nothing for fear of making the wrong move. How do we know this GRC.com guy is the real deal :confused:

Makes my head hurt.

It's mainly common sense and knowing what bits to look out for. Like for instance the emails you get from your 'bank' normally have something dodgy in the link you would click on. Some scams are quite sophisticated and can get a lot of people, which is why i only tend to click on stuff im sure are ok.

Northy
11-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Awesome, I ran spybot search and destroy on my laptop and 'fixed' some errors. Now when I reboot it it says the windows\system 32\config\system file is missing or corrupt, and I don't have the CD :cry:

Help.

G

Southwell
11-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Can you get into safe mode? on boot up hit f8....

Medders
11-02-2009, 12:08 PM
[quote=Rich D;207539]If you use ADSL then using a NAT router acts as a firewall and you dont need to worry about installing a third party one.



You should always have an independant firewall on each PC

Northy
11-02-2009, 12:08 PM
No, same error :cry:

Southwell
11-02-2009, 12:11 PM
If you can get hold a cd you can do a repair.

Northy
11-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Not sure Mr. IT man will let me have a cd :cry:

Medders
11-02-2009, 12:21 PM
This happened to my pc a while back and I didn't have the disk. Think I download a bootfile from the net on my laptop and burned a disk that way, which allowed me to boot the pc and fix it properly.

Southwell
11-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Not sure Mr. IT man will let me have a cd :cry:

What make it is? What version home or business? You dont need the cd key to repair a windows install i don't think?

Northy
11-02-2009, 12:28 PM
HP laptop
XP pro

G

Southwell
11-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Ask your IT department if they are willing to help. Any decent people will at least have a quick look.

Northy
11-02-2009, 12:54 PM
But he'll shout at me because I caused it :cry:

Southwell
11-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Tell him the computer crashed and wouldn't reboot afterwards ;)

Medders
11-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Erm, as I said earlier, if you have another working pc in the house you can download boot file fix from the net, burn it to a disk, put that into the laptop and it should boot. However, if you don't have administrator rights on the pc you have no choice but to swallow the pride and talk to IT :blush:

Northy
11-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Medders, where do I download it from? :confused:

G

Medders
11-02-2009, 01:14 PM
I think it was from microsofts website. Do a google search on xp boot disk.

From memory it worked enough to get me into safe mode, and I think enable me to go to a system restore point.

Southwell
11-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Yes but if it's a business computer you do not want to be playing around like that, it will only annoy IT more if it gets even more corrupted.

Northy
11-02-2009, 01:27 PM
:cry: so what's the best plan?

G

Southwell
11-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Go to IT, say it crashed and now wont boot, play dumb. If you arn't in there every two mins they wont mind, it's the persistent idiots we hate. ;)

Medders
11-02-2009, 01:30 PM
He's probably right, although using a boot disk and just trying a system restore shouldn't make it any worse.

I think your IT man may be due a few pints :lol:

Rich D
11-02-2009, 01:34 PM
You should always have an independant firewall on each PC


If you can be bothered to read it all mate - its all here

http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-003.pdf


Essentially, it says noobs are recommended to install software firewall aswell as using a NAT router, if you are confident with what you are doing then you neednt bother :)

Hope you get sorted Northy :D

Medders
11-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Agreed that if your network is properly secured then you needn't worry.

What scared the shite out of me the other week was the Mrs merryily using her laptop not realising it was connected to ANOTHER wireless network. Vista had kindly overridden the wireless settings and was defaulting to this other "open" network rather than my password protected one which selected as preferred. Cos the machine was set to connect to wireless automatically she didn't even notice.

Better to be safe than sorry, and that is having at least a basic firewall on every machine ;)

Northy
11-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I think it was from microsofts website. Do a google search on xp boot disk.

From memory it worked enough to get me into safe mode, and I think enable me to go to a system restore point.

Can't find it, only a boot floppy (and there is no floppy drive)

Alfonzo
11-02-2009, 02:03 PM
And amidst the all this computer agony - is using the Windows Defender a good idea?

Medders
11-02-2009, 02:36 PM
If there is no floppy drive it should automatically look at the CD drive. When I did it I just burned it to CD.

If it doesn't you can set it to boot from the CD drive, but that involves going into Bios and will not only get you shot by IT, but probably the sack too if it goes wrong :lol:

Rich D
11-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Problem is I get so confused and paranoid about all this online fraud malarky that I end up doing nothing for fear of making the wrong move. How do we know this GRC.com guy is the real deal :confused:

Makes my head hurt.


Agree with what Southwell put in reply to this.

I know what you mean though. Its a matter of feeling your way around and learning from your own mistakes.

GRC is run by a guy called Steve Gibson. He was the first person to discover Spyware and the first person to write anti spyware software. he coined the phrase "spyware". He subsequently sold out to Lavasoft who write the Adaware software ( thats the one i use incidentally ) He discovered security vunerabilities in the XP operating system and wrote temporary patches for people to download from GRC.com until Microsoft wrote an official patch. Hes the real deal mate, theres people who are good with computers and there are people like him who are elite.
i geeked up on the subject a year or so ago as he did a weekly podcast that you could download and listen to. Sad i know !! :blush: :blush: :blush:
He lost me after about the 10th Episode though - way over my head.
Knowledge is knowing that you know nothing at all when you compare yourself to this fella !

Northy
11-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Well I've just stuck my XP home cd in, let it boot, pressed 'R', got scared, so turned it off and back on and it now boots! :D

Time to roll it back and get rid of that and spybot dodgy software! :o A close shave there.

Oh yes, then I best back it up!!! :blush:

G

_JP_
11-02-2009, 08:44 PM
maybe its operator error :)

Well I've just stuck my XP home cd in, let it boot, pressed 'R', got scared, so turned it off and back on and it now boots! :D

Time to roll it back and get rid of that and spybot dodgy software! :o A close shave there.

Oh yes, then I best back it up!!! :blush:

G

_JP_
11-02-2009, 08:54 PM
sorry double post

Southwell
11-02-2009, 10:31 PM
maybe its operator error :)

Maybe? He didn't even do owt and it started working. :lol:

Northy
11-02-2009, 10:37 PM
I did, I put in my XP disk, and it installed a load of stuff ready to install windows itself.

It was def broken this afternoon, I tried it loads of times :p