PDA

View Full Version : B4 -7.5 Gearing


Chris Green
25-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Hello,

I am looking for a starting point for my B4, running on a large-ish indoor track.

GTB with LRP X11 7.5 Motor. Lipo Cells.

Thanks,

Chris.

V-Rossi
25-03-2009, 07:40 PM
23/81

Chequered Flag Racing
25-03-2009, 07:40 PM
ran a Nosram 7.5 on 26/78 @ Worksop over the weekend on Demon 35c saddle pack LiPo

Medders
25-03-2009, 07:45 PM
26/78 with a 7.5 !!! You sure !!!!

Christ, I was going to start my new 8.5 with 23/81.

RudeTony
26-03-2009, 06:06 AM
Standard spur gear with a 23 pinion on a X12 LRP 7.5 - Perfect!!

Southwell
26-03-2009, 07:50 AM
I was running 24/78 last year.

Chequered Flag Racing
26-03-2009, 07:58 AM
26/78 with a 7.5 !!! You sure !!!!



might have been 62/87 :o, if I did a typo but I could take a pic if you really don't believe me

V-Rossi
26-03-2009, 09:01 AM
26/78 is quite heavy, but the big pinion makes the car easier to drive, makes it less punchy. Normally I use 24/78, indoors as well as outdoors, as this ratio is the best of both worlds (smooth power delivery, easy driving and a high top end).

The choice of spur gear is personal I think, I like the 78T more, but it's nearly impossible to use small (21-22) pinions with it on the B4 and S2 without modifying the motor plate. But Neil Cragg etc. seem to opt for the 81T ones with a 22 or 23 pinion.

Medders
26-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Looks like I might have to buy some bigger pinions for my 8.5.

Still can't get my head around the 26/78 :lol:. Could you fry an egg on that motor after the race?

Chequered Flag Racing
26-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Could you fry an egg on that motor after the race?

No, just nice to touch

Medders
26-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Your tempting me to try a 28/81 with my nosram 8.5, but it just doesn't sound right - thats the same gearing as I run a 20T 540 with :confused:

millzy
26-03-2009, 10:46 AM
im on 25/81 on a tekin 7.5

V-Rossi
26-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Still can't get my head around the 26/78 :lol:. Could you fry an egg on that motor after the race?
Depends on the motor you're using and your driving style, the LRP X12 for example gets very hot, a friend of mine had 95°C with 24/78 after a 6 min. final. My CS 7,5T on 24/78 never gets over 50° C, even after 10 min. of driving.

Mike Hudson
26-03-2009, 11:20 AM
24/78 is completely perfect 26/78 sounds abit hot to me :o thats what i run for a 8.5!

V-Rossi
26-03-2009, 11:56 AM
24/78 is completely perfect 26/78 sounds abit hot to me :o thats what i run for a 8.5!
One of the X-Factory team drivers was using 28/78 on a 5,5T X11 motor at an indoor track during our first national of the year:woot:

Mike Hudson
26-03-2009, 12:03 PM
which xfac driver was that :confused: and where? Didn't know indoor nationals existed!

V-Rossi
26-03-2009, 12:10 PM
S. Mesker during the Belgian and Dutch indoor national @ Charleroi. He won every qualifier and final though :)

charles08
26-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Hi,

A bit off topic but i see that some people are using the GTB with other motors such as LRP.
I bought a second hand GTB and tried it with a LRP X11 6,5 and it "stutter" or has some cogging issues .
Do you guys do something special like change the timing on the motor ?
What is your original timing , 2, 3, ?
I've tried it with a speed passion 9,5 and it seems ok ....

HELP !!!!

jcb
26-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Ran my orion 7.5 on 26/78, with a orion 3800 race LiPo. That was outside round Stotfold, for indoors on a flat astro track I have been running 24/78 with it only just getting warm after 5 mins of racing.

Medders
26-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Right, this thread has really opened my eyes, time to buy some larger pinions;)

As for cogging, your 6.5 turn will be drawing much more current than your 9.5. Try gearing it down, check all your connection are well soldered and your wires aren't overly long, failing that if could be your cells if they are old/duff.

charles08
26-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Well i was on a 20/84 with a B4, the packs a brand new Corally lipos...
Hell i seem to be the only one having such problems .

Medders
26-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Thats undergeared a bit but shouldn't be causing that. If all your connections are tight I would be tempted to check the rotor.

Southwell
26-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi,

A bit off topic but i see that some people are using the GTB with other motors such as LRP.
I bought a second hand GTB and tried it with a LRP X11 6,5 and it "stutter" or has some cogging issues .
Do you guys do something special like change the timing on the motor ?
What is your original timing , 2, 3, ?
I've tried it with a speed passion 9,5 and it seems ok ....

HELP !!!!

I'd say your motor is dodgy. Can you try it with another speedo?

charles08
26-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Will check the rotor . i'll clean the motor too.
And re-check all the connections.
I just hope it will work ....
Thanks a lot .

charles08
27-03-2009, 01:20 AM
You're probably right Southwell ,i'm scarred the motor is f§&ked....
I'll re-try it with a mamba max esc, that setup was working great a week ago !
While cleaning the LRP motor i discovered you can't change the timing on it, can you ?

Thanks guys .:thumbsup: