View Full Version : AE VCS2 shock upgrade kit...
blue_pinky
24-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Been thinking about replacing my AE shocks for Losi ones on my x6, but I'm finding they're not that easy to come by. Thinking of changing mostly because I have trouble building the AE shocks consistently, and partly because I'm curious about the performance of the Losi ones.
Anyway, in my hunt around for info I've come accross the VCS2 shock upgrade kits for AE shocks, they are mostly talked about for onroad, but I've seen a few comments on other forums about using them on the off road shocks too.
Anyone got any experience of this kit? It's only cheap and looks like it could improve the standard shocks!
Body Paint
24-04-2009, 11:52 AM
I've heard of people doing this but didn't realise there was a kit available. I'm guessing VCS stands for something like Volume Compensating Shock? Which essentially will just be different shock caps with a bladder fitted?
blue_pinky
24-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Yep...exactly right! But you do also get bits of sponge too. Kit is about £14 to do 4 shocks...bargain if it means I can finally build a set of consistent shocks!
Do you think it could improve the shocks on the track? Or just help with the building?
The losi and AE ones do feel really different from those I've looked at...but I'm never sure if it's because my AE ones are just badly built.
You could try kyosho, probably a better shock than both and cheaper than losi shocks :thumbsup:
blue_pinky
24-04-2009, 12:47 PM
They do sound good, 'silky smooth' seems to be mentioned alongside them a lot! Might take a look into them too then.
Still intrigued by the vcs thingy if anyone else has any thoughts?
Mike Hudson
24-04-2009, 12:54 PM
seen the kyosho velvet shocks cost over £65 for the full set and springs cost a fortune! Losi ones abit more than that new, would be good to try the vcs upgrade and give feedback on them to see if they help at all with either performance on track or just building them
To me the VCS won't help much, i used to run them on the TC3 and noticed no difference, the only thing you may find helpful is having the opportunity to add ad remove the foam above the bladder. But is it another setup to get lost in???
Personally i wouldn't go for this, i'd go for a different shock altogether. If they were as good or better, the team would be using them. But at the moment the team use losi and kyosho shocks ;)
MHeadling
09-05-2009, 04:59 PM
I just thought I'd add my thoughts, I just put TC5 shock caps on my B4 shocks, I got these of Jono palmer, you can see his B4 in the EPR national pics and he has these caps fitted. Iv also seen these style AE shock caps on Kinwalds car in a few pics
Anyway, what a difference, re bound is easy to get right and they feel silky smooth! I'm yet to try them on track yet but so far so good !
usafaircrew
10-05-2009, 03:20 AM
At the Clash in Tampa, Kinwald was running Kyosho shocks on his X cars
Darren Boyle
10-05-2009, 11:33 AM
At the Clash in Tampa, Kinwald was running Kyosho shocks on his X cars
I thought that when I read Marks post above but chose not to comment in case I was wrong
MHeadling
10-05-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm right sort of, yes he uses Kyosho shocks but there are some pics on the 2wdrc website of him with AE shocks with VCS shock caps.
But anyway they feel good and better to build than with STD shock caps. Maybe a good alternative for people who can't afford losi shocks?
blue_pinky
10-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Sounds interesting. Would like to hear how they feel once you've run them! Could be a neat little option if it works :-)
pro4nut
10-05-2009, 07:41 PM
I ran the vcs shock top upgrade about 3 seasons back when i last used my b4
You get the ally screw caps with a plastic insert to mount them.
The key part for me was the bladders and the rebound foams (foamy bits) two sizes, one fiited into the top of the bladder one into the shock cap.
Mainly i found the shocks far easier to build consistantly, i could get matching pairs!! however i did generally run 5wt lower oil.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.