View Full Version : Linux and MS .Net
Is there a patch, software etc that will allow you to run a .Net designed program, to run on a Linux based system?
colmo
19-05-2009, 07:46 PM
".net linux" in the Firefox url bar took me straight to:
http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page
What distribution of Linux are you using? It's best to use whatever standard package manager your particular distro uses.
I just followed the instructions for adding the appropriate repository via Zypper - may be useful to have.
rowanp25
19-05-2009, 07:51 PM
i use ubuntu 9.40. wine covers most Ms type stuff but ive not come across many .net apps to be certain it would work
glypo
19-05-2009, 07:52 PM
huh, double post?
My bad :(
glypo
19-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Generally speaking... no.
Mono looks more like a cross platform API, rather than an ability to run a .net scripted app.
I use decent Linux distros (Fedora on dekstop and CentOS on server), certainly not a Ubuntu sheep. Even so though, applications like Wine are generic across the platforms, and as far I know it has no .net support.
bugger, I know my comps, but a newbie to Linux. Looking at putting it on my laptop, to speed it up over XP, but need the .net framework for some software I use.
colmo
19-05-2009, 08:22 PM
bugger, I know my comps, but a newbie to Linux. Looking at putting it on my laptop, to speed it up over XP, but need the .net framework for some software I use.
What is the application? I can try it right now to see if it works with the current version of Mono.
Tekin Hotwire (you can download it from www.teamtekin.com)
glypo
19-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Oh right.
I have tried this myself. No joy at all. There is talk over on the Tekin forum. Quite a few reasons this won't work. Least of all is .net.
If you ever find a way, please shout. I would love Hotwire on any of my Linux machines.
yeah, I don't want to buy a new laptop, and Linux would run a lot faster on it too.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.