View Full Version : Nimh to Lipo Conversion?
DomRC
26-05-2009, 06:24 PM
As the title suggests really - I've seen a Nimh Cat SX for sale and was wondering if there's a way to convert them to Lipo? Or do you need to buy a whole new lipo Chassis? Anything else?
Cheers
jas_racing
26-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Yes, the NiMh chassis can be converted to Lipo quite easily - just done it to mine (using a Demon 5035 Lipo)...you need a Lipo strap, some nuts & bolts, a front belt roller, something to space out the servo a bit (unless you're running a shallow one) and a bit of filing on the chassis and you're done!
I'm also running the Atomic Carbon "Lipo friendly" top-deck and it results in quite a flexi set-up which may or may not suit your preference/tracks raced on.
DomRC
26-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Yes, the NiMh chassis can be converted to Lipo quite easily - just done it to mine (using a Demon 5035 Lipo)...you need a Lipo strap, some nuts & bolts, a front belt roller, something to space out the servo a bit (unless you're running a shallow one) and a bit of filing on the chassis and you're done!
I'm also running the Atomic Carbon "Lipo friendly" top-deck and it results in quite a flexi set-up which may or may not suit your preference/tracks raced on.
Cheers! Not an official conversion then ;)
jas_racing
27-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Cheers! Not an official conversion then ;)
Erm...no! But good enough for me :thumbsup:
stikkan1
27-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Any pics??
ulrich
28-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Any pics??
http://www.racegallery.dk/gallery066/imgpages/image052.html
this car is a 4+2 chassis. I have made a hole in the front of chassis to bumps underneath of the battery pack.
Important is it that the battery brace is not fit well on the battery post (because the post have a another position on 4+2 chassis than lipo chassis), so you have to file the 3mm hole in the steering brace a little. If you look at the photo you can see the screw on for the forward batterybar post is moved backwards a few mm.
Hope this help you.
jas_racing
28-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Any pics??
Yes!
See links below.
As I was fitting a Demon Lipo with "lumps" on the bottom I had to file the chassis and remove a bar near the front, as arrrowed on one of the photo's. Lipo now sits nice and flat on the chassis, plus I've fitted a Nortech Lipo-retainer although this probably isn't necessary given the lumps but I'd already bought it so thought I'd use it!
The Lipo strap is an Atomic Carbon one but due to effectively re-positioning it (the rear battery post on a NiMh chassis is NOT in the same place as the Lipo chassis) I had to file a few mm's off the side closest to the belt to avoid fouling. Not sure if this would be the same when using the Schumacher strap as it looks narrower.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/jas_racing/IMAGE_298b.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/jas_racing/IMAGE_299.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/jas_racing/IMAGE_300.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/jas_racing/IMAGE_301.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/jas_racing/IMAGE_302.jpg
stikkan1
03-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks, easiest mod ever:thumbsup:
jas_racing
04-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks, easiest mod ever:thumbsup:
I just make it *look* easy ;)
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.