View Full Version : X6 Waterproofing
Garry
04-06-2009, 02:12 PM
I know its a bad word as the weather is fine at the moment, but how do you waterproof your X6 or X6 Squared for wet weather use?
How effective is just taping the edges of the body to the chassis (and the cell slots if you've got the older chassis)?
jono83
04-06-2009, 02:21 PM
I filled the chassis slot with epoxy on mine so have no issues with that and i find with velcro running the lenght of the chassis and shell no water gets in jus be sure to use a bit of bluetac around the sensor wire and motor wires to stop moisture getting in there.
Jono
_sleigh_
04-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Hi Garry,
If you're a velco type of person, then this will help protect the sides (to some degree) of the chassis from allowing water into the car. As for the cell slots (X6 only) then I'd used "gaffa" tape on both side to seal these holes.
As for other areas that moisture can gain access to the car, then this only really leaves the front of the shell, by the steering assembly. For this I' probably suggest using blue-tak to create a waterproof barrier by the servo. Just ensure you still have full steering lock.
While you have the blue-tak, then it's always a good idea to seal the receiver connections and any "adjustment" holes in your speedo. Also create a "seal" around both ends of any brushless sensor wire.
This is one of the plus points of the X6, in that all the electrics are inbound and not directly exposed to the elements. :thumbsup:
Do NOT just cover the speedo completely in Blue-tak, as this could cause overheating.
Obviously any of these steps are only a help towards waterproofing, and nothing is 100%.
On a separate not, if you're running in wet conditions on a grassy track, then it's also worth making up a set of "deflectors" for the rear arms. These are normally make from pieces of flat lexan attched to the front of the rear wishbone/arm to deflect grass from wrapping around the driveshafts. Just make sure you have full suspension travel when creating these.
Hope this helps
Garry
04-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks guys. At the moment I've not got any waterproofing but its something I've got in the back of my mind, just in case. Blu-tac is on standby as I've used it to save a touring car in the *most* torrential downpour ever one time, all the cars stopped but mine.... 2ins of puddles.... :lol:
Thanks again guys. :thumbsup:
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.