View Full Version : 14mm springs : other alternative brands?
I find the Kyosho springs to be fairly expensive...
I noticed that both tamiya & Kyosho use 14mm inner-diameter springs
Is there any other brand that is 14mm so I could use them on my 3 Kyosho cars ?
Also, would be nice to add this information on RogerM's great chart
RogerM
06-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Kyosho springs are very pricey for sure but you really don't need many!!! I have found that I very rarely change springs on either car.
paulc
06-06-2009, 09:06 PM
which ones are most commonly used as chb said they are very exspensive and don't want to be buying ones that i am not going to use
cheers paul
So, Roger M, you don't know which ones are compatible (you've seen them all) ?
RogerM
07-06-2009, 09:23 AM
So, Roger M, you don't know which ones are compatible (you've seen them all) ?
The short answer is none!
Losi Springs are too long at the front and too short at the rear but will fit. You can use different combinations of spring platforms and adjusters to make them sort of work but not perfectly.
I'd say (for UK grass / astro / multisurface tracks) you only need two sets of front springs and maybe 3 sets of rear springs.
Fronts
{#65 yellows (ZX5FS/SP kit) might be of use on very slipper surfaces}
#70 silver (ZX5 kit)
#75 lime green
Rears
#68 blue (ZX5FS kit)
#70 silver (ZX5 kit)
#72 purple
My RB5 & ZX5FS (and infact SP too) always run from these springs unless on a totally flat carpet track in which case I set the car REALLY low & REALLY stiff using cut Losi springs.
Now, please be mindful of the fact that I do not run LiPo so you may find that you need to go down a spring grade (#5 points) or so when running LiPo with little extra weight but I am just not sure!
Thanks for the information
so same diameter: Kyosho - Losi - Tamiya
I was wondering about Schumacher & HPI/HotBodies... (as these cars are metric, they might use 14mm?)
RogerM
08-06-2009, 06:19 AM
Never seen a HPI/Hotbodies spring so can not comment. Schumacher spring lengths are not suitable, sorry forgot to mention them.
To be honest I think losing the ability to compare set-ups with others is worth many times the cost of buying a couple of pairs of springs, even at Kyosho prices!!!!
To be honest I think losing the ability to compare set-ups with others is worth many times the cost of buying a couple of pairs of springs, even at Kyosho prices!!!!
I take your point... Your opinion about sticking to Kyosho ones is valuable indeed.
But I am looking after this info of compatibility for various reasons. One of them, as an example, is the fact that I (and a couple of friends) have old vintage cars(a few Kyosho in fact) that need new springs. They do not have the same length anyway, and sometimes need different stiffness than the current Kyosho ones. I was very surprised to witness the fact that these 20+ years old cars all use 14mm springs!
So just take my quest as "general purpose". Thank You for the information!
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.