View Full Version : CAT SX, latest shock set ups?
MHeadling
08-06-2009, 08:14 AM
I was playing around with shock oils yesterday at EPR regional, found a setting that worked ok for me, but wondered what the quick lads are doing with the CAT shocks?
Looking at the A final guys, Kev Moore,Dave Church,Matt Benfield etc there cars seem to roll quite alot and dont seem too over damped.
I heard people are drilling pistons, 3 hole pistons all round etc, It seems Grey front and New Red Rear are the norm just need some help with oils/pistons.
If you have hole sizes, oils etc to try that would be great.
MHeadling
08-06-2009, 11:22 AM
I heard tamiya touring car shock pistons fit, has any one tried these out?
MattADH
08-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Yes we are drilling the three-hole Sch pistons to reduce pack and use heavier oil. The set-ups that the majority of us South-East drivers have been running uses drilled pistons. Drop me an e-mail and I can send you a detailed set-up sheet.
MHeadling
08-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Thanks Matt, PM sent.
Mike kindly sent me over this info from Grants set up:
Shocks
Front -
40wtt on 3 Holes Drilled 55
Schumacher old Grey Springs
Diaphragm - Centre cut out and removed
Ride Height - Wishbones level
Rear -
30wt on 3 Holes Drilled 54
Schumacher old Red Springs
Diaphragm - Centre cut out and removed
Ride Height - Wishbones level
And what size of hole i need to drill? 55, what is it?
ulrich
08-06-2009, 05:35 PM
And what size of hole i need to drill? 55, what is it?
That is american size used by Losi.. 54 is larger than 55.. Some shops have these drills.. sometimes are losi drivers using pistion like 5.5.6 it is two holes drilled 55 and one 56.
discostu
09-06-2009, 08:58 AM
I heard tamiya touring car shock pistons fit, has any one tried these out?
hey mark
the tamiya are a little to thick the hpi or hot bodies cyclone tc pistons are a perfect fit i tried some on sunday.
stu:thumbsup:
stefke
09-06-2009, 09:31 AM
I've heard Kyosho ZX5 / RB5 pistons are a direct fit.
Have a look here (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17821&highlight=piston+chart), I did some research on this subject about piston size and which one fit which body shock.
As far as I remember, this table need some detailed information about Shuey dampers. If you guys can provide such information, that'll be nice.
Hope that can help you guys!
mikeyscott
24-09-2009, 06:49 PM
I am interested and still learning the reasons for going with more piston holes and heavier oil over 2 holes and 25W.
I've got 35 3 hole in the front at the mo with 30 3 holes in the rear for a bumpy astro turf track. With my Losi XX it's running 25w
I'm still working on the set-up as I found the car a nightmare last time due to lack of drop at the rear. Fitted the longer track rod clips on the shocks and hopefully that'll help.
discostu
24-09-2009, 07:32 PM
less shock pack is the reason for bigger holes thicker oil
Chesty
25-09-2009, 07:21 AM
I tried the Grant William's shock set up (exactly the same as in the earlier post) for the first time last week & it was great - best the car has felt since I got it.:thumbsup:
Only wished I'd tried it earlier.
I race on a bumpy grass track with jumps...
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.