PDA

View Full Version : RB5 Mid Custom Special


Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Fabs
24-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Hello you RB5 lovers,

Thought I'd give an update on my little project...

It's coming along nicely, given that I only started working on it after Oz...

I will try start making the first two on saturday, and am hoping they'll be ready for Stottfold, but no promises.

Fab

caneye
24-06-2009, 10:54 PM
what are you building?

paulc
25-06-2009, 04:25 AM
and any pics ??

Fabs
25-06-2009, 07:48 AM
what are you building?

With a name like that what do you think it is ?

bender
25-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Pictures please - I'm getting bored of my RB5 and need to change it somehow ;)

RSharpy
25-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Good to here its going well Fabs and your building 2 of these bad boys :woot: You at Broxtowe on Sunday to catch up?

Fabs
25-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Should be pal.

Yeh one's for you...

Bring your spare car...

Will try and have them done the week end prior to Stottfold then organise some testing with Ralph in the week, so we're not going to a national totally blind...

Fabs
25-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Pictures will come up soon enough.

What I can tell you is it's muchly like the X6.

Plastic chassis (although milled not moulded)
4 gears gearbox

RogerM
25-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Only 2 mate ... where's mine? ;)

Fabs
25-06-2009, 11:42 AM
To start with... Ironing the few hicks there will certainly be.

Highjumper
25-06-2009, 09:55 PM
We wait for Pics, und i hope that at the Weekend where made some of this changed Car!

Greets Kim

Fabs
25-06-2009, 10:33 PM
It'll take more than a saturday morning to machine it.

Garry Driffill
25-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Awsome skills, thats really impressive! :drool:

smac
25-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Are you gonna make a new tranny case so that you can run standard rotation motors?

bigred5765
25-06-2009, 11:49 PM
that looks like a none std gear case, im sure fabs will be along soon to confirm its a 4 cog??imho

Highjumper
26-06-2009, 05:41 AM
Really nice, every one who can creat a Car mak it at the moment!

Greets Kim

Fabs
26-06-2009, 07:17 AM
Yes 4 gears as it seems the way to go.

Thanks for the kind comments guys, there is obviously still a lot of work to be done but I'm starting machining tomorrow morning (and this is probably what's gonna take the longest as I've got to make jigs for each part before I can make the part).

Fab

RSharpy
26-06-2009, 08:17 AM
Fab, is the rear tower etc planned for the old or new length shocks?

Fabs
26-06-2009, 08:26 AM
SP shocks : Short bodies with 54mm shafts.

Niggs told me to try and get as much rear droop as possible so the holes on the tower are 2mm lower than on the SP.

RSharpy
26-06-2009, 08:37 AM
Sound makes sense to use the latest shocks, email sent ref droopy draws :)

RogerM
26-06-2009, 11:22 AM
I personally disagree with the use of the shorter shock bodies as the VAST majority of RB5s out there will be on standard length shocks and the bodies are HUGELY expensive to buy from the UK, last time I looked you'd have had to take out a 3rd mortgage!

Fabs
26-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Well we agree to disagree Roger, short shocks it is. :p

erkan
01-07-2009, 07:57 AM
as long as the increased droop dont make the driveshaft to come out from the diff outdrives :)

Fabs
01-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Well that's what prototypes are here for, to make sure everything's working fine. But we're not talking massive increase of droop here so it should be fine. Just have to make sure it'll also be fine with the RB5-SP slightly modified rear end.

SimonW
01-07-2009, 01:59 PM
I was under the impression that the SP version of the RB5's rear end only has three differences 1) the shocks 2) the tower and 3) the axles on the rear as it does away with the little 2mm spacer that sits behind the Hex (brings it back to original width but still with the longer arms). Oh and the wheels are 2mm wider now too.

@ RogerM, The vast majority of a few cars ain't much and the (few) RB5's i have seen all run the worlds rear end

Fabs
01-07-2009, 02:07 PM
You forget the wider hinge pin holders which will make the driveshafts sit more "out" of the diff outdrive.

PS the wheels aren't any wider, they're slightly smaller in diameter and the ribs for the tyres are narrower but the overall width and offset are the same.

SimonW
01-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Tebo and the rest of the USA boys don't run the wider pivots, they tried them and didn't like it.
HTH SimonW

p.s, Try www.kyoshoforum.com if you haven't already been there.

Fabs
01-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Maybe but then they won't be running the car narrower. And also, they haven't tried it on astro or grass, I'd think it'd be more suited to our level of grip. Either way it's worth a try.

SimonW
01-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Glad to here you are thinking it through, GOOD luck on this venture, i for one am looking forward to seeing it in the flesh and would probably buy one cos' i have been tempted to try an X6 just for a comparison.

caneye
02-07-2009, 03:19 AM
would certainly be interested to try one.
i'm currently driving an x6 and it's put the love back into 2wd (for me, at least) :p

but the rb5 is feeling neglected especially after i transferred the rb5 shocks over onto the x6 ;)

it will be a great if i can compare the mid motor rb5 & x6 side by side :D

Highjumper
02-07-2009, 05:53 AM
We will see some Pics!! Pleas show us them!

Greets Kim

P_B
02-07-2009, 06:27 AM
So you're happy to get on your high horse about Ansmann cloning the RB5 one day, then 'borrow' most of the dna from a X-6 the next? Nice one boss, double standards or not I hope it works out well, love a bit of home engineering.

Fabs
02-07-2009, 07:12 AM
Most of the DNA ? There isn't a single part from an X-6 in that car. Get your facts right pal, I'm using ideas not plagiating, AND my car has ideas that are unique to it.

P_B
02-07-2009, 11:49 AM
I don't believe I mentioned parts compatibility and I honestly I don't care where you've been waving your calipers. If you read it again you may notice I wished your project well, however tongue in cheek.

Nice sense of humour you have there, 'pal' :p

Spencer Mulcahy
02-07-2009, 06:09 PM
With marrowbone.

BagofSkill
02-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Great job Fabs! How's progress?

I think there's a difference between cloning a design using some one elses intellectual property and designing your own stuff using the influence of existing designs. The later is how the world works. That said I think the Ansman is a bit cheaky, but not too outrageous.

Oliver Andre
03-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Done more? Looks cool !

Fabs
03-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Still working on it, I've not had much chance to machine recently as I was on holidays and had to do work on my full size car.

Trying to get things moving this week.

fab

Mr. Pink
05-08-2009, 05:33 PM
A few thoughts from my experience with my mid-build.
Have you considered to flip the rear arms the other way around?
That will of course give a shorter wheel base if the chassi length is left unchanged but you will then have all the heavy bits a few mm closer to the rear axle.

Is the 2mm lower shock mountings made to compensate the shocks need to be longer? If the shock is mounted from behind, the lower mount sits a few mm lower due to the anti-squat angle of the arms.

Good luck with everyting!
My mid is a killer and guess your's will be to.:thumbsup:

/Mr. Pink

Fabs
05-08-2009, 07:25 PM
hi mr pink.

The arms will be mounted exactly as shown and the shocks on front of the tower. The lower tower is to get more droop as proven on the x6 and recently on the cr2, mid motor cars like a lot of rear droop.

As I cannot get enough time on the machine I am now having the gearbox and chassis outsourced, with the rest of the parts still for me to make but which won't be a problem at all. Hopefully 2 cars will be running at the next brca.

Fabs
18-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Quick update, change of plans with the chassis I've gone aluminium rather than plastic.

C/F parts are mostly here, chassis should be there tomorrow or thursday at latest.

All going well Two cars should be getting tested next week.

:thumbsup:

Fabs
03-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Hi all,

As you can see I managed to finish a car in time for RHR national (juuuust about).

It went on the track for the very first time in practice and I managed to get my best result so far by taking 3rd in the F final. The car had more pace however, but the manufacturing had taken its toll on the driver, it was a long and tiring week to get one car out for his race.;)

SimonW
03-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Well done that man, I've been drooling over the piccys Jimmy took for the RHR report,. My next question is When and how much for the conversion as i would like to have one? Will you be at the BRCs? I'd love to have a good look?

Fabs
03-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Hi Simon,

If you're on about the EOY finals, Richard Sharp shall be racing his own car at kiddy this week end.

As for production we're not there yet. I've already made a few amendments, mainly for clearance, but Niggs will be picking a car up at kiddy and testing it. Depending on what his feedback is we might have a few more changes, then make a third car with the amendments.

After that it will all come down to how much we can get the gearbox for, because at the moment it's too expensive to machine (we're talking 100 pound a gearbox here, lucky I made those two myself).

As for timeframe it's the big unknown, all I can say is that I won't sell a car that's done one meeting so far.;)

SimonW
03-09-2009, 11:48 AM
As long as i can have one by the time Petite comes around, LoL

Fabs
03-09-2009, 11:54 AM
That I cannot guarantee.

Skidrow
03-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Looks very nice.Bravo Fabien!

Lowie
03-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Looks very nice.Bravo Fabien!
"looks" ...?

I haven't seen a single picture of the real thing yet. Are they somewhere on display?? :p:p:p

Mr. Pink
03-09-2009, 08:50 PM
http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/2009national-robinhood/2wdphotos/OOP_7199.html

I guess it is the builder himself?
Good work btw!:thumbsup:
I am very impressed!

/Mr. Pink

jimmy
03-09-2009, 08:54 PM
http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/2009national-robinhood/2wdphotos/bigimages/OOP_7201.jpg

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/2009national-robinhood/2wdphotos/bigimages/OOP_7219.jpg

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/2009national-robinhood/2wdphotos/bigimages/OOP_7204.jpg

Lowie
03-09-2009, 09:13 PM
thx Mr oOple.
You just beat me to it. I figured out I might find them in the album of an event, and just did. :)

awesome pictures and awesome X-ed RB5

Fabs
03-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Merki Ludo ça fait plaiz... :thumbsup:

Lowie
03-09-2009, 09:43 PM
lol, why in French?
I'm not native french-speaking. Are you?

jimmy
03-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Fabs is! :thumbsup:

Lowie
05-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Fabs, je viens de lire l' article sur le RHR avec plus d' info's sur ta bagnole fabuleuze :)
Il est mentionné aussi que tu pense a faire un kit.
Cela m' interesse tres fort, si cela ne devient pas trop cher eviddement.
Laisse moi/nous surtout savoir ou tu en est :)

and for the english-speaking people ... the same LOL

RSharpy
06-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Unfortunatly I didn't have time to get my proto ready to run yesterday with me only picking it up Friday night, but am looking forward to getting it out on the track soon and will give feed back when I do.

Hat of to Fabs, all the hard work as paid of, you've done a great job.

One outing for the car so far in the hands of the designer himself, the car looked planted, handled well with plenty of turn in and for Fabs to get his best result of the year with it speaks volumes. :thumbsup:

Lowie
14-09-2009, 09:05 PM
well, I'll be saving from now on. Hope this kit won't get too pricy

Fabs
25-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Hi guys,

Thought I'd keep you updated on what's going on.

I've been quite busy making changes to the model, and I've pretty much finished now.

On the changes, I've mainly worked on providing more room around the motor. That includes a shorter T-plate and new battery strap (which I think looks neat). The pack is also now held by the chassis sides so there are less parts too. This will accomodate stick as well as saddle lipos.

I've modified the gearbox externally to move the shock tower rearwards to give the turnbuckles more clearance and this will also include tabs for the roll bar.

Motor mount has been modified for easier access to the motor screws.

I've designed brass plates to add 160g where it's needed.

Changed the chassis shape so the shell will fit better.

On the production side I've been looking at anodising for the aluminium parts, I'm just trying to find a way to make the gearbox affordable.

Nex stage is a small run of pre-production cars to verify everything fits.

Let me know what you guys think.

RSharpy
25-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Oii Oii, slow down captain!! I haven't raced my proto yet, next week first outing! and your already developing it :o

Just kidding, the slight changes are looking good my son :thumbsup:

Fabs
25-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Just because you're lazy doesn't mean I am lol.

The car's good and Nathan showed us that :thumbsup:

Lowie
25-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Well, I'm no expert (unfortunatly) so I can't argue on the technical side, but it sure looks like a VERY nice job.
Must not have been easy and have taken plenty of hours designing, developing, ...
I just hope you can get this kit afordable, Fabs.

't a une idee vers quand tu pourrais produire ce kit?

ps: sure looks like LOTS of screws in the bottom of the chassis :)

RSharpy
25-09-2009, 11:23 PM
Not just lazy Fabs, i'm wicked and i'm lazy :lol:

BUT I will get round to running her next weekend, can't wait. :thumbsup:

Fabs
25-09-2009, 11:39 PM
Hey Ludo,

There are less screws than on the first version.

ETA no idea, I have a few things to sort out first.

Lowie
25-09-2009, 11:42 PM
hey RSharpy,

we want a FULL report! :)

Fabs
25-09-2009, 11:49 PM
I can tell you what has been reported:

It turns in better than the X6, jumps very well and has a lot of on power steering, which is exactly what we want on astro.

This was reported by David Holmes who drove it at the F345 last week end (usually races an X6), and Nathan Ralls who drove it during a "features" race on that day between qualifying and finals, on grass.

RSharpy
25-09-2009, 11:49 PM
hey RSharpy,

we want a FULL report! :)No probs, full report/feed back will be given :)

erkan
26-09-2009, 12:17 AM
have you done any tests on dirt/low tracktion tracks?

it looks awesome tho.. :thumbsup::wub

Fabs
26-09-2009, 12:25 AM
We'll be running on slippery floor indoors on sunday and the week after. The pre-production will also be tested on dirt.

caneye
26-09-2009, 09:24 AM
looking very good.

1. Is there any bracket/holder that is going to secure the motor plate to the chassis? (e.g. think X6's small little "L" plastic piece, or the upgraded CNC-mchined E-speed one)

what i've found with midmotor set-up is the flex, especially in the axis of the motor plate.

2. i think a rectangular or "X" shaped battery shape is more secure than the "S" one, not to mention offer more rigidity to the chassis.

just my $0.02

can you still reuse the standard shock tower or the Atomic carbon one?

Fabs
26-09-2009, 09:37 AM
There is a carbon fibre brace behind the motor for the rigidity. I am still playing a little bit with this detail and might offer a stainless steel one for more rigidity, or maybe a 4mm thick brace instead. I am still unsure about how stiff this second car will be as I have changed the pick up point on the gearbox to make it stiffer.

But as standard it's already stiffer than the X6. I do not want the motor plate interfering with the chassis stiffness as this would be an assymmetrical addition.

The battery is secure as it is with the S shaped strap. In fact the brace is floating around the battery posts in order not to interfere with chassis stiffness.

Chassis is alreay very stiff as it is, on the prototypes I removed 3 out of 6 screws on each aluminium side to get some flex!

No the rear shock tower is specific but rest assured it's 4mm c/f and should sustain pretty much anything.

t8rtot
26-09-2009, 02:10 PM
I know it may be awhile before there out but I know I would like to bring one of these State side, will you be shipping to the US?

Lowie
26-09-2009, 02:32 PM
about flex ...
X-factory just recently presented the plastic chassis with the intention to get some more flex.
IMHO a very stiff chassis will not be the best thing.

niggs98
26-09-2009, 04:52 PM
having driven the car on both astro and grass i found it to be very adjustable, easy to setup and drive. the kyosho shocks and geometry retain the supple easy to drive feel that the rb5 has but like the x6 going mid motored just reduces the laptimes as you can push so much harder. fabs conversion makes the rb5 have the steering agression everyone wanted from the rb5 but it still retains the safe rear end under power and thanks to the mid motor doesnt want to wheelie everywhere. i tested the car to the max at stotfold eventually running a 5.5 and even that didnt unsettle it so i know it will be a winner in most hands

RogerM
26-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Fabs,

am I correct in thinking that you will need a speedo which can run the motor reversed for this conversion? I'm loosing the racing plot lately so may be wrong!

Fabs
26-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Yep you're wrong I've designed a 4-gears gearbox...

Lowie
26-09-2009, 08:19 PM
I thougt so ...
when you design a new gearbox, might as easy be a 4-gear one :)

Fabs, can't wait to hear more about this kit :)
I just recently fell in love with the RB5 ... and think it would be great to have the best of both combined: the smoothness of the RB5 and the edvantages of a midmotor.
Maybe you should considering beginning a new company, called: Y-factory ;) LOL

Fabs
26-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Ha ha thanks Ludo, you do realise it's gonna be a few months before I can sell the car.

I mean, it's only been raced 3 times so far, and the pre-production cars will also need checking.

Lowie
26-09-2009, 08:50 PM
offcourse, sir, but just wanted to let you know you have a fan :)
I like working with or helping out motivated people :thumbsup:

Alex H
27-09-2009, 07:47 AM
Very nice work Fabs:thumbsup:. I just love it when Europeans makes RC cars now days. So much better than from the other side the pond.
I am very impressed with your work and if it is anything close to a Durango or Xray in build quality, you will easily get your invested money back. Put me on the pre order list.
Keep up the good work and god luck!

caneye
28-09-2009, 01:21 PM
fabs - sorry, completely forgot that you are building a brand new chassis too. in which case, pls disregard my comments about chassis flex.

how does the standard body shell fit over the rear? do u have any pics of that?

Lowie
28-09-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm looking forward to making a mold and make some shells of my own using plastic bottles :)

Ludo

Fabs
28-09-2009, 04:04 PM
What are you guys on about?

I've got it all covered it will have its own shell and it will look great.

If not X6 shells fit.

RB5 doesn't.

Lowie
28-09-2009, 04:07 PM
lol, great Fabs ...
but I still have the intention to make some shells for myself. want to experiment a bit.
Might try to make a new pred-shell.

t8rtot
16-10-2009, 06:58 PM
How's the car coming along

niggs98
17-10-2009, 10:22 AM
looked very good at worksop even if the driver wasnt having the best of days :wtf: everyone who saw it seemed most impressed

Fabs
17-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Hi all,

Yes the car was really good and as Niggs pointed out, I wasn't at my best on sunday. Still managed a 22.42 lap in the final I think, which was bang on pace with the top lads, I just never really got to grips with the track.

The car should be getting the result it deserves at the players though... :thumbsup:

Lowie
17-10-2009, 06:44 PM
well, you don't have to convince me anymore.
I'm just soooo curious when the kit will be available.
I'm just certain it will be a hit as it provides us with a new midmotor 2WD-car-option, over the X6.

Lowie
19-10-2009, 05:56 AM
correction,

The RB5-mid will be the thirth mid-car as the new 2WD Cat (according to my sources will very prob be a mid-car too).
Hurry up, Fabs! ;);)

(on the other hand, Go slowly, Fabs. I haven't saved enough on my RC-piggy-bank yet for a new kit :blush::D:D

GRIFF55
19-10-2009, 07:15 AM
4th, cr2 as well!!:thumbsup:

Jamesy
19-10-2009, 07:58 AM
4th, cr2 as well!!:thumbsup:

5th! S2

Lowie
19-10-2009, 08:17 AM
5th! S2
indeed :blush: indeed

Fabs
30-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Just a quick update.

I'm waiting on feedback from Nathan at the players before finalising the design.

Once this is done, I will have an extra car made on the very final specs to validate all the changes, then will start looking at production.

So there's a few months left for you guys to wait unfortunately, but I want to get it right.

Fab

niggs98
30-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Just a quick update.

I'm waiting on feedback from Nathan at the players before finalising the design.

Once this is done, I will have an extra car made on the very final specs to validate all the changes, then will start looking at production.

So there's a few months left for you guys to wait unfortunately, but I want to get it right.

Fab

no presure on me then m8 :wtf::woot: will be worth the wait ;)

Fabs
30-10-2009, 10:12 PM
No pressure, you only have to win :thumbsup:

Lowie
30-10-2009, 10:44 PM
oh? that's just a little detail :thumbsup:

ace028
03-11-2009, 05:23 PM
I am really impressed with the craftsmanship on this forum, this car looks awesome!!! Can't wait for updates!!! I'm a kyosho guy at heart as it was my first car (Ultima 1st gen).

Fabs
04-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Thanks Ace I really apreciate your comments.

niggs98
13-11-2009, 07:13 PM
ace i will try and get online during the players to post updates on ghow fab and myself get on with the mid ;)

Rebelrc
13-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Car looks good!
much more attractive than the x6;)

niggs98
23-11-2009, 08:01 PM
hiya all, sorry for no updates over the weekend but i had no internet access. was a good weekend for both fabian and myself with the car. fabian narrowly missed making the players event but showed good form in the open event with a good string of wins and top 3 results in his heats. not sure on his final result but know it was definatly top 5. in the players class i was gutted to narrowly miss the dash for the cash race as was 9th but had the same points as ellis who had the 8th i really wanted. would like to say a massive thankyou to fabian who worked on the car and made all the small adjustments that were asked for and totally looked after me so i could concentrate on my 4wd. i couldnt of got the results i did without your help m8.

looking forward to the next one ;)

Fabs
23-11-2009, 08:13 PM
No nathan, all the thanks are to you. You drove your heart out with a car that wasn't up to scratch to begin with, made the elite class when I couln't. Really seeing what my car can do in the right hands has made my week end :thumbsup:

I finished 2nd and my fastest time was good enough for 10th in elite, just a tad slower than yours. That extra half degree of toe really did make a difference :)

bondy
23-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Must say after racing against "The French Man" for a few years now that was the best I have seen him race and the best the car has looked . ! Might be looking for a RB5 again !!!!!! yer never know !
:thumbsup:

Fabs
23-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Bloody hell Bond, are you feeling ok ?:lol:

RogerM
25-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Glad to hear it all went well ... still wanting to see this car in action on a proper off road surface

podzilla
08-01-2010, 02:47 AM
Hi All,

Any recent updates to the buggy? Really interested in the production version when available.

Lowie
08-01-2010, 02:17 PM
hey, and Fabs, if you are looking for some guinny-pigg who wants to buy one of your first-serie/prototype of your car, Pls let me know :)

Fabs
09-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Right guys here goes...

I'm finalizing the car this week end, and will start things up to produce a batch of 10/15 cars from monday.

I need to know who wants one, and also, if you do want one I will need a deposit because I can't shell all that money out by myself.

Price for the conversion is expected to be £200, including the screws and parts needed for the gearbox, brass weights etc... Basically there won't be any extras needed.

Regarding the bodyshell, for such a small batch it wouldn't be very wise to have a shell made up, too expensive on each car, so it'll use Phat bodies X6 shell, or normal X6 shell if you prefer it.

The cars will be anodised (and actually that's where most of the uncertainty with regards to the price is, since the more cars we make the cheaper the anodising per car becomes) either in black or something close to gunmetal.

If you want one, PM me ASAP because I NEED to know how many cars to make.

Fab

podzilla
09-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Hi Fabs,

PM sent.

Thanks

Lowie
09-01-2010, 03:00 PM
pm send.

aand just a question:
Why the anodising?
Is it really necessary, better? (since it costs much)

SimonW
09-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Yes Please Fabs, PM sent

Funkymojo
09-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Fabs your mid motor conversion for the RB5 is simply FAB!! Love it!! :thumbsup:

Neil Skull
10-01-2010, 09:29 AM
I am looking forward to seeing one in the flesh next weekend:thumbsup:

Fabs
10-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Well all I've got some good news.

Due to unforeseen delays in the release of another 2WD buggy, I'm pleased to anounce that Niggs will be racing the Mid Custom Special at the Petit RC Race next week end.

So there will be once again 2 cars on track.

Now to answer some of the questions asked by PM:

1st the anodising: I feel it is necessary yes, it will not only make the car look much better (I know, we've had the prototypes anodised in december and everyone agrees on that), but also, it'll protect the metal, as you may not know but bare aluminium is highly oxydable and also difficult to clean properly. I have a 3rd reason but that is a surprise. I don't know the price of the anodising yet, but bear in mind that if it's really too expensive, I'll revise my point on that.

2nd durability: It's now been a little over 4 month now since I first ran the car, it's been run plenty and by people of various levels. The only part I broke was a rear T-plate, and even then was I still able to run the car with the broken plate (and a little ingenuosity). The car was designed to be reliable given the fact that it's prototype, and it has proven to be tough as nails, at least for the bits that are made by me.

The car will come with a Stainless steel T plate same as I'm using at the moment which is pretty much indestructible (the one that broke was c/f), carbon fibre T-plates will be available separately but as far as I'm concerned, the stainless plate is the best option both in dureability and handling.

3rd batteries: All BRCA/EFRA lipos will fit, saddles or stick. Nuff said.

4th shells: The best fit is the Phat bodies, and IMHO it's also the better looking. I've modified the shape of the chassis so the fit on the production cars will actually be quite good. The X6² shell doesn't fit quite as well, but still not an issue.

5th deposit: I'm thinking £100 deposit, that should cover enough of the production cost so that I can actually make the cars.

Now I'd like to explain something, yes the price tag is fairly high for a conversion, but bear in mind a few things, first this is an exclusive car, which I'm only making a very small batch of, and that obviously means it's more expensive to produce.

Also, the price was always going to be £200, granted that included a specific shell, but by making it the same price for a small batch, I'm actually making you guys a favour.

So if you want one I suggest you PM me ASAP because I've nearly reached 10 cars already.
Last, have a look at the X6² Ellis Stafford Edition of whatever it's called, and you'll see that I could easily justify a higher price tag.

Lowie
10-01-2010, 11:03 AM
hey Fabs,

just give us your paypal-account and I'll transfer that deposit right away.
(before I change my mind ;) )

Fabs
10-01-2010, 11:16 AM
lool

But I don't have a final price yet lol.

Welshy40
10-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Well ive gone off the associated b4 as its basically not as good as the previous models and i suppose is not suited for lipos. I think the mid mounted buggy is the way to go and this design is a stunning idea. Nice work.

ace028
10-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Again, awesome work. Do you have more pics of your buggy?

Dufty07
10-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Put me down for 1 PLEASE:wub

Fabs
13-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Hey guys,

Waiting for quotes on the suppliers so bear with me, should be there before friday.

Will take deposits when I start to put things in motion, probably next week.

Thanks all for your patience and your support !

Fabs

Lowie
13-01-2010, 09:35 PM
got enough orders, Fabs?
Hey, and have fun at Petit for me!!

Fabs
14-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Yes I have enough orders!

Still a couple of kits for grabs, but I don't mind having some unsold kits, I'm sure they'll sell.

Got an email from Phat bodies, and Simon is keen to see his shells on the kits.

Let me know if you're planning on having Phat bodies shells!

Fab

Lowie
14-01-2010, 10:32 AM
yes please, add one Phat body for me

Fabs
19-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Hi guys,

Back from the Petit, my what a week end !

Nathan was unlucky in qualifying, as he lost round 3 to a bad setup move, and then round 4 was ruined by bad servo tape, his speedo came off and turned the switch off twice. So he qualified 1st in the C with his round 2 time. Definately had much more pace than that, possibly A final pace, but that's racing.

As for me, I was pole in the D after a bad last round, I lost out on the C for less than 1s, doh! I loved every second of driving the car, with the staggered up front, it was easy to drive, I could push hard and it wouldn't bite. My fastest lap was a 18.43 in the final, with the top guys doing low 18s high 17s, that's not bad going. And also, last year I was in the E, 2 laps down on TQ, this year in the D only just a lap down.

Also, I've made new contacts, and we may have hard anodising after all, also molded gearboxes seem a possibility now. So I'm waiting on feedback on these two details before anything will happen with the car. I'm also going to see with Phat Bodies if it would be possible do have a slighty amended shell, to accomodate the new longer layshaft.

So this means, maybe a little more delays, but it's all for the best guys, don't grow impatient !

Fabs

caneye
21-01-2010, 02:28 AM
Fabs - do you have any pics from the weekend? :thumbsup:

Fabs
21-01-2010, 10:05 AM
There are some on the photo albums of Oople and Petit RC.

Fabs
01-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Hi guys,

Well this is it, I'm starting the production of the cars this week !

So if I've not contacted you regarding the deposit, please let me know, i'll just have missed you in the 150 PMs of my inbox !

Alternatively if you haven't preordered one but would want one, don't hesitate to PM me, as I can still alter the quantity.

Fab

Here's a teaser of what we're looking at, bearing in mind the anodising's colour may not be quite the same, but a dark grey that's for sure.

Fabs
01-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Another pic...

Lowie
07-02-2010, 11:33 PM
I hope Fabs will forgive me for breaking the news ... at this very moment, he is probably still on the way back home to the UK.

Fabs and Nathan Ralls were some of the UK-drivers that came over to Charleroi, Belgium to take part in our Euro Indoor Race (EIR 2010).

They both drove in the "Fabianised" midmotored RB5 ... and Nathan won the event with this prototype!
Nathan showed excellent driving skills, and the car was dialed on the track, just perfect. It was overall clear that no other driver could keep up with Nathan with his Fabianised RB5. At some moments, during Q's, Nathan almost lapped second man, Sebastien Wartelle (which is a local topdriver and who ended on second place 2WD in the EIR-event)

It were fun moments when people came over to inspect "this X6 from the champ", to be astonihed when they learned it was NOT an X6, but a prototype RB5.
Many picures were taken and whenever they become available online, I'll link them here.

Fabs and Nathan, as a proud member of Team Nani'c and Team Domlomp, it was a great pleasure to pit with you guys. It was one of the weekends I will long remember with warm feelings :)

and ... although I am a patient man ... I'm eagerly waiting to find that new mod-kit in my letter-box.
"Unfortunatly", the interest for the car was significant, and Fabs will maybe receive much more orders ... and I might have to wait a bit longer for the kit ... but hey, that car is worth waiting for!!

Lowie
13-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Fabs,
I think you are gonna like this. Please read untill the end ;)
It is a report I wrote about the EIR-competition.

http://www.redrc.net/2010/02/euro-indoor-race-belgium-report/#more-28029

Neil Skull
13-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Thats fantastic Fabs and Nathan. Well done ;-)

Lowie
14-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Well, if possible I would like to drive the car in our Nationals (BNK= Belgisch Nederlands Kampioenschap).
I am in no way a very good driver (yet) but want to learn a lot in driving these competitions


Fabs, you have PM :)

Fabs
14-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks Ludo for the great report !

Car was again great today, Q'd 4th finished 3rd at broxtowe indoors :thumbsup:

PS: What PM ?

Lowie
14-02-2010, 09:08 PM
PS: What PM ?

didn't you receive a Personal message from me?

Fabs
16-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Yes I did but only a few hours later !

Car went great again on sunday for my last meeting in the UK (at least for a while). Q'd 4th finished 3rd, unfortunately I wasn't able to challenge Hulk for the win as I was hit from behind after a few corners and restarted 2nd to last (good sportsmanship from Eugene who let me off in front of him) and had to make up places. The car most certainly had the pace to challenge Craig, and was probably the only one who could have.

Fabs
16-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Right guys,

I've finally got a price for anodising (unfortunately that price didn't include the blasting, so I'm still holding on for that). It's looking more like £220 than 200. Unless I can make a bigger batch that is.

Fab

Lowie
17-02-2010, 01:02 AM
ouch :(

Robfo
17-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Yes I did but only a few hours later !

Car went great again on sunday for my last meeting in the UK (at least for a while). Q'd 4th finished 3rd, unfortunately I wasn't able to challenge Hulk for the win as I was hit from behind after a few corners and restarted 2nd to last (good sportsmanship from Eugene who let me off in front of him) and had to make up places. The car most certainly had the pace to challenge Craig, and was probably the only one who could have.

What was your fastest lap fab? lol

Fabs
17-02-2010, 10:48 AM
What was your fastest lap fab? lol

Angry laps don't count rob...:p

niggs98
17-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Angry laps don't count rob...:p

pmsl wonder where you got that from :D

Fabs
17-02-2010, 12:31 PM
pmsl wonder where you got that from :D
:D

And besides, I still beat him...

Fabs
17-02-2010, 01:52 PM
ouch :(

I know but look at it this way:

AC CR2 SE : £199.95
X6² Ellis Edition £350

Am I that far off the mark ? AC don't have a full gearbox to make, I do.

Dyna
17-02-2010, 02:23 PM
I think the cost you've come up with is pretty fair tbh Fabs when you take into account what you are getting in the kit and what its taken to get it to this stage.

When you break it down from its conception to the production kits the cost makes sense. Design conception, hours of CAD & machine time to get a couple of working prototypes, more CAD & machine time to fettle those prototypes, time working out suppliers and finish's, supply times, unit costs etc etc. Trust me, all this takes MONTHS of headaches and stress for a small production run.

It is tricky coming to a selling cost when your selling something like this. But i think the cars reported perfomance is as good as anything out there atm, and you are paying for exclusitivty as as well - there arent going to be loads at each track like you get with just about every other car - and lets face it, once the Cougar is released every other car at the track will probably be a Cougar ... common as muck :lol:

Lowie
17-02-2010, 02:28 PM
oh but I did not intend to say the kit won't be wurth the money!! Far from it ..
But it will definitely hurt my wallet. :cry:

Robfo
17-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Angry laps don't count rob...:p

Good point well made, and you did wup me hahahaha, your car looked really good when i was watching it in qualifying!

caneye
18-02-2010, 12:31 PM
fabs - did u get my pm?

Fabs
20-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Hi guys,

Just to let you know I've sent the gearbox off my car to be used as a blank for molding. Should have a working prototype very soon. Once I've tested it and am happy with it, I'll start production of all the parts.

My guess (and it's only a guess, depends very much on sub-contractors) is that it'll take a month to have the finished car after I've sent the order. The aluminium bits are the ones which will take longest, as there will be 3 stages : waterjet cutting, finish machining and anodising.

I am trying to make a bigger batch to reduce costs but as of now, the price will still be 220. Trust me I'm doing my best to lower it.

Fabs

Lowie
20-02-2010, 05:59 PM
could you predict us when -ish the kit could become available?

niggs98
20-02-2010, 06:37 PM
errrr about a month after the prototypes are aproved according to fabs post :D
and thats if everything goes to plan which will be nice if it does. having worked with fabian i know he is working really hard to get this all done and will bust a gut to get it out when he says he will so be patient as i know the car is worth the wait ;)

Fabs
21-02-2010, 10:06 PM
A month if everything goes well, which we all know isn't gonna happen...

Fabs
28-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Hi all,

Still waiting on news from the molded gearbox. In the meantime I've secured enough funding to make a 30 cars batch so I'll get the prices from my sub-contractors updated and will hopefully be able to make the cars for £200.

Lowie
28-02-2010, 07:40 PM
in the mean time, and as it looks like I will only run 2WD in our Championship (as team Xtreme does not send me the needed parts for my Pred, which I have been asking for, ordered for about 1,5 month ago ... sadly :(:( )

...
Our first race will be in Charleroi on the EIR-track.
DO you have or know a good setup for the RB5 for that track, Fabs?

... I mean the regular RB5 :p, notr yet the Mid-Fabianised RB5 :woot:

Fabs
28-02-2010, 08:38 PM
I guess a usual astro setup should do.

Only problem is I can't remember what I used to run. I picked it on Petit RC I think.

niggs98
28-02-2010, 10:52 PM
ludo, just raise the inner ball stud on the front by 1-2mm and run the car as is ;)

Lowie
01-03-2010, 01:28 AM
thx mate,
but could you alos explain why I should do this change? What the benefit or purpose is of this change (I expect it to be something with changing front rollcentre??)

niggs98
01-03-2010, 06:55 PM
will msn u later and explain all ;)

Fabs
11-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Hi Folks,

Quick update: I have two prototype molded gearboxes ready and on their way to me as we speak, which I shall test as soon as I receive them (I am fortunate enough to have a track 5 mins from where I am at the moment). Once I'm happy with them, I shall crack on with the production.

Fabs

Lowie
11-03-2010, 03:33 PM
and any news on the body yet?

Fabs
11-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Not sure what you're talking about? Phat bodies have just been in touch to say they've updated their Zen shell so that it won't rub on the spur gear anymore.

Lowie
11-03-2010, 04:55 PM
great ! :D
so this means there is a suitable body for the Fabianised RB5 :)

... mind you ... you should maybe begin to think about a catchy name.
"Mid-motored RB5 by Fab" sounds too dull and too long for me :D

Fabs
11-03-2010, 05:54 PM
great ! :D
so this means there is a suitable body for the Fabianised RB5 :)

... mind you ... you should maybe begin to think about a catchy name.
"Mid-motored RB5 by Fab" sounds too dull and too long for me :D

It has a name... Mid Custom Special

Lowie
11-03-2010, 06:39 PM
It has a name... Mid Custom Special

mmmmm ... dunno ...:eh?:

"custom special" is like telling two times that it is somewhat different from the original
... and there are more Mid-motored RB5's around (all though not in kit offcourse)
Hey, it's your choice :) ... but I still keep thinking ...:yawn:

FRB5
RB5 FM
...

lol :woot:

Fabs
11-03-2010, 07:37 PM
It's a proper old school kyosho name however...

Fabs
13-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Pics of the molded gearbox...

Prototype are white to differentiate from production parts, the production parts will be black.

Can't wait to try them !

SimonW
13-03-2010, 06:42 PM
I want a white box, how retro is that? Break out the dylon, lol

GRIFF55
13-03-2010, 07:18 PM
They look really nicely made again Fabs!! Keep them white, its the new black:thumbsup:

DCM
13-03-2010, 07:31 PM
told him to keep em white... could go old skool and have a dye-a-thon!!

Fabs
14-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Err white is so easy go get dirty ! You can always paint it white if you like :D

Fabs
15-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Gearboxes are here !

Test sessions hopefully this week.

In the meantime I've sent the order for the aluminium parts to be started.

:thumbsup:

Fabs
17-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Ok the molded gearbox had its maiden run today and so far, so good. 3 Lipos dumped and not broke it. Drive is fine, if a bit noisier than the machined one (not too bad considering how silent the machined box is).

smokes
17-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Is it pure Plastic( Insert type here) or a plastic composite to stiffen the box?

SimonW
25-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Any news ?

Fabs
25-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Testing of the gearbox is being carried out.

This week end will be probably the last indoors outing for the season, and my first race in france for a long time.

Fabs

Fabs
29-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Hi all,

Just to let you know, testing of the molded gearbox is still going on and there are still a few niggles to sort out.

I was racing yesterday at an indoor meeting near Paris. The surface was a very slippery floor and the car handled it brilliantly. I finished 3rd overall and signed the fastest lap in 2WS and 2nd fastest lap of the whole meeting.

Will check up on the manufacturing later on and will keep you guys updated on how it's all going.

Fabs

Fabs
30-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Right,

Just got off the phone with the sub-contractor for the aluminium parts, they're running late and because it's a bank holiday week end, it's gonna make it even worse.

We're still gonna try to have the cars ready for Tallywain but it's gonna be tough. In any case I'll know more on thursday.

Fabs

Lowie
30-03-2010, 10:21 PM
When 's Tallywain?? :)

V-Rossi
31-03-2010, 09:03 AM
17th and 18th of April.

Lowie
11-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Hey, Fabs, how's the progress?

And are you back in the UK again?

paulc
15-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Im guessing it's not ready yet :(

RSharpy
15-04-2010, 08:56 PM
I have one of the two test cars for sale, pm me if interested. :)

Fabs
15-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Sorry guys,

No I'm not back in the UK and won't be for a while.

Parts have finally been delivered by the waterjet guys, 2 weeks late... They're in final machining and then it'll just be a matter of anodising them.

The gearboxes however aren't ready yet, we're going to try a different material, so I think it's reasonable to say they should be ready in may.

Fabs
18-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Hi guys,

First time on dirt today. Wait, I thought it was supposed to be grass? Oh yeah it was grass, for a minute then it was clear that dirt was taking precedence... On the wrong tyres...

Anyway, up until round 3 (included) out of 4, car was good, maybe a bit tricly on the dirt but I found out you could make up a lot of time by keeping very close to the apex where there was still grass with no holes (with dirt in them instead of grass).

Then found out in round 4 that there wasn't anymore grass to be found there and found myself with a car that had no rear end grip (spikes don't work on dirt). Made big setup adjustments for the finals and they paid off as I was back on a decent pace, even though I could have still done with a touch more traction.

No breakages to report, the molded gearbox (repaired from the last race with superglue !) held up well in the heat and the 6 minutes final. Still want to test a different material for them however.

smokes
19-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Hi guys,



No breakages to report, the molded gearbox (repaired from the last race with superglue !) held up well in the heat and the 6 minutes final. Still want to test a different material for them however.

What no duct tape !!!!

Lowie
23-04-2010, 02:40 PM
say, Fabian, you told me once that you will have setup-sheets available for the mid-car.
Do you have any idea yet where we will be able to find those?
blanc, but also std-setups for astro, dirt, clay, indoor, ...

Fabs
23-04-2010, 03:46 PM
In a few days I think, it's not up to me, Arn0 is making the editable sheet, and he's a bit busy with other stuff, but it'll be there before the cars are ready so you can set your cars up!

Fabs
24-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Quick peek...

paulc
24-04-2010, 10:05 AM
good work on the set up sets just need the car now possibly be ready for the next national at RHR on the 8th may ?

what differance doe's changing the shock tops make ?

paul

Fabs
24-04-2010, 12:34 PM
good work on the set up sets just need the car now possibly be ready for the next national at RHR on the 8th may ?

what differance doe's changing the shock tops make ?

paul

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately I can't see them being done for RHR, the gearbox needs more testing, but I'm hopeful it'll be done by the end of may.

Shock tops change the shock length a little.

Fabs
26-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Setup sheet is now online.

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/kyosho/SetupSheetsKyoshoUltimaRB5MCS.html

I'll put some basic setups on there soon so you guys will have starting points.

Fab

Fabs
30-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Hi all,

Just got word that the aluminium parts will be ready for anodising early next week.

Also, the c/f parts are being made as we speak and should be ready in 10 days at most.

So after that it'll just be the gearboxes that'll need doing and then the kits will be ready for you all to hit the track with ! :thumbsup:

paulc
30-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Wooo good work fabs looking good for end of may then :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Paul

Fabs
30-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Wooo good work fabs looking good for end of may then :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Paul

I'd say so yes, we're still at the mercy of a sub-contractor making stuff in his own time, but since the ally bits pretty much only need anodising now and I was quoted 5 days for that, we should be fine.

I'm happy with the gearboxes now but they've been moving premises so need to get back up to speed, and they need to make one modification to the mold (that's only to allow them to get better yeld on production, it won't influence anything else). I'd say the gearboxes will be the last thing ready, which isn't a surprise given they've always been the tricky part.

Lowie
08-05-2010, 05:37 AM
about the body,
you said that the kit would include all nescesary parts, so I guess there also will be a body provided ...
but could you point me out (again) what body it will be?
Wasn't it gonna be the latest Phat Bodies X6 Zen-body?(http://phatbodies.bigcartel.com/product/b-coming-soon-b-phat-bodies-x6%C2%B2-zen-shell-wing)

I'm thinking of allready ordering one and painting it to have it ready.

Fabs
13-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Hey guys,

Quick update: parts are finished machining and the ally ones are going to the anodisers tomorrow.

On the down side, due to unforeseen circumstances (I won't have a car!) I'm not gonna be able to come up and send the cars out before after the 2nd.

I know this will make it short for those of you wanting to race it at the EPR national, but I really don't have a choice in the matter.

I'll try to do the best I can to have the cars sent out asap, but there's also another issue which is that I'm supposed to be racing at the oOple race, but can't really stay for 2 weeks!

Lowie
13-05-2010, 05:20 PM
on the pro side, you might nevertheless be able to ship the kits for the continent :) :)

Also, Fabs, thx for the tips about the shell.
I contacted Phat Bodies as you instructed me and if all is well, I have two bodies shipped as we speak. :)
I'll get my paintbrush ready again.

Fabs
13-05-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm not sure what you mean...

I'm not going to be able to pick the parts up from Paris, they're being made in Sheffield. I have to come back to the UK to pick them up and ship them...

Lowie
14-05-2010, 12:30 PM
ah oops, I was wrong, scusi

Fabs
24-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Hi everyone!

Great news, the ally parts are well and truly finished!

Sneak Peek...

paulc
24-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Looking good fabs and getting closer to fully complete :thumbsup:

Paul

Fabs
25-05-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm surprised that no one realised they're actually numbered...

mof
26-05-2010, 05:13 AM
I'm surprised that no one realised they're actually numbered...

Nice touch :thumbsup:

Fabs
03-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Helloooo everyone

Great news, I'll be at EPR to support Craig Collinson who after testing the car has decided to run it at the nationals.

After EPR I'll be coming up to sheffield to collect all the parts and will start sending the kits as soon as payment is made.

I'll see some of you at EPR I guess.

Fabs

Lowie
03-06-2010, 05:17 PM
well, mate, then all you need to do is letting us know how much we still owe you. :)

niggs98
04-06-2010, 05:51 AM
good job m8. glad it is all working out, see you later at epr ;)

Lowie
04-06-2010, 07:51 AM
have fun at EPR, guys.
If there wasn't some kind of watery stuff blocking my way, I'd come over and pay a visit.

Fabs
04-06-2010, 08:12 AM
I have the same watery stuff to cross... :thumbsup:

Gayo
04-06-2010, 10:05 AM
I have been lucky enough to try both Fabs cars on a track and I have been quite impressed.

It was on the Montigny track which is now really rutted, with almost no grass left and gobs of holes. Yet the sanctioned tyres are Minispikes, so it's a real challenge to obtain a good car on such a blown-out track.

The alloy-chassis ZX5 was really well setup, sure-footed and quick. But the most impressive was the RB5 Mid which has gobs of traction, good turn-in and most of all awesome stability.

Future owners won't be disappointed, this car is a winner!:thumbsup: Well done Fabien :)

Lowie
07-06-2010, 10:46 AM
The main gear shaft of my RB5 appears not being 100% straight anymore after the last race I participated in.
It's only minor but I would like to change it nevertheless just to be sure.

Will the kit come with a new one, or does it use the original one.

The Kyosho-partnumber of this shaft is UM-518 if I'm not mistaken. Does there exist anothe one, maybe stronger?

Fabs
07-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Hi Ludo,

Yes that's the correct part number, and I'm waiting on a couple of these to arrive as well, one for my RB5-SP2 (which has a longer layshaft which I cannot use) and one for my prototype mid, on which the teeth have worn out after 2 years of use and abuse.

There isn't one provided in the kit as it comes on the RB5, and there isn't a stronger one either, I've never seen one bend to be honest !

Fabs
07-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Now for the week end's result,

Craig made the B final at EPR, which considering the fact that it was only his second time there, and his first meeting with the car, is a good result.

Craig seemed happy with the way we were heading setup wise, we were making changes every round and he seemed to like the car more and more. Still not quite where he'd like it to be, but coming to a national with only one test day in the bag, wasn't going to be easy anyway.

I got in myself and made the F final, and finished 5th from 9th on the grid, which is pretty much equalling my best national result. Not bad for someone who'd driven up from Paris overnight and had 2 hrs sleep, one in the car and one on the ferry! No doubt that had I been a little fresher and had I had time to prepare the car in the week, I'd have done better.

I'm now in sheffield and will start going to pick up the produced parts from the different places I had them made at.

Fabs
09-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Hi everyone,

All of you who had preodered a car will receive a request for money via paypal.

As some of you forgot to select that they were paying the fees when they sent the deposit, I hadn't received the correct amount for them, so the request is for a total of GBP 200 + postage for those who need it posted.

Postage for the UK will be GBP 5.50, next day delivery, tracked and insured.

One last thing, can everyone make sure the paypal fees do not get deducted from what I receive, thank you>

Lowie
09-06-2010, 10:12 AM
haven't seen that paypal-request yet, Fabs. I assume it's for one of the next days?

any idea about what I should add as for shipping costs for Belgium?

Fabs
09-06-2010, 10:52 AM
haven't seen that paypal-request yet, Fabs. I assume it's for one of the next days?

any idea about what I should add as for shipping costs for Belgium?

hey ludo,

I definately sent a request to your paypal account. The request includes the shipping fee.

Lowie
09-06-2010, 11:06 AM
PAYMENT DONE :)

SimonW
09-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Payment sent, followed the instructions for payment, if any probs' let me know.

niggs98
10-06-2010, 05:18 AM
woop woop well done buddy. glad this is finally going ahead ;)

Lowie
10-06-2010, 06:32 AM
is there also a manual on how to build the kit?
If not, I could try to take some pictures during the build and post them here

Ludo

Jamie B4
11-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Hi Guys

Was lucky enough to see some development ideas/plans/pictures/CAD etc at EPR this weekend with Nick Caro and Craig Collinson. Fabs went into detail of how he saw everything working out. And all I'll say is watch this space as I think in the right hands the car will be awesome and a difference between one final and being two higher.

GREAT WORK FABS - KEEP US INFORMED

J

smokes
11-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Went with Fab to pick up the parts. All I can say is these kits are gonna be awesome

Lowie
11-06-2010, 03:51 PM
dude, have mercy!
I'm checking my letter box every day, drooling awaiting that new package! :D :D

Fabs
11-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Lol

I have only just picked them up! Yours will be in the post early next week mate!

As for the manual, I'm going to do a review, was supposed to do it with Jimmy this week but a lot of things went in the way. But it'll be on oOple nonetheless.

It is however fairly straightforward.

Craig and I had the first runs on the production cars and both of us were very happy, the car feels pretty much the same as my own prototype, and according to craig it feels better than prototype number 2 which Nathan ran as well.

Roll on tomorrow !

Fabs
12-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Quick update on the day's action at oOple invernational:

Rd 1 Craig was 4th and I was 21st, then Craig went better and better and got three second in round in a row, which leaves him 2nd overall with one round left tomorrow. I just stayed about where I was with 20th in round 2 and 3 and a bad run in round 4.

As things stand, it's looking like a top 3 in qualifying for Craig, as Bradders and God both have two round wins, but also some average scores behind that.

Lowie
12-06-2010, 09:24 PM
is "God" there as well???
say hello to him from me :D

Fabs
12-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Tom Cockerill is god, didn't you know that? :p

Fabs
13-06-2010, 10:32 PM
I'd like to officially welcome Craig Collinson to the one man FAST Racing team lol, and to congratulate him on the great result at the oOple Invernational.

I built the car from a new kit on thursday, and used the setup that Craig ended up on at the EPR National.

Friday the car was put on the track and as far as I know, no setup changes were made apart from weight added on top of the servo to help keep the nose down, at least until the last final when heavy rain forced a setup change.

Craig had a great qualifying with three 2nd in round in a row, sandwiched by two 4th in round. This put him equal on points with Paul Bradby and Tom Cockerill, and second on the grid as positions were on best throaway.

In the finals, Craig had a second, a third and another second (battling it out wih Lee Martin on the soaking wet track) to take second overall.

A great result for the debut race of the production car !

Well done Craig and thank you !

Hulk
14-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Just wanna say a big thanks to Fabs for his support over the weekend and giving me the opportunity to race his awesome creation!!

The first meeting with this car was at EPR National last weekend so i was really just getting a feel for the car and finding a set up that suited my driving style. By the end of the weekend we had a good base set up and the car was really good in the final.

For this weekend at the oOple invernational i was racing the final production car for the first time and started with my final set up from EPR. As soon as we put the car on the track on Friday's practice session i knew we had a good chance of having a successful weekend. The only thing we changed was adding 30g of weight on top of the servo to keep the front end lifting under power. This worked wonders and allowed me to hit the throttle much earlier when powering out of corners. The car was dialled so i didnt change a thing throughout qualifying.

The car is so safe and easy to drive, i felt like i could drive the car all day long without making any errors, which was evidenced by the fact i didnt have a single crash in 5 rounds of qualifying racing 6 minute races!

The car has plenty of steering, is so predictable and never does anything random. This gives you so much confidence in the car and allows you to push harder and harder as you begin to realise how easy the car is to drive.

This was only my second meeting with the car so with more track time to fine tune the set up i can only see things getting even better.

Fabs really has done a fantastic job with this car so i must credit him for the genius work he's done. For me this car is a must for any Kyosho fan (or not) wanting to try out a mid motor car!!

In a nutshell its AWESOME!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Craig Collinson

GRIFF55
14-06-2010, 11:45 AM
good job there big fella!! the car looked quite safe in the wet too. impressive!!

SimonW
14-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Can't wait,

Have any been posted out yet?

PositivoNegativo
14-06-2010, 06:30 PM
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_6J6Viu0M2HQ/TBYhkTZ38ZI/AAAAAAAAOik/uYHBXE2WvfM/s640/IMG_0698.jpghttp://lh5.ggpht.com/_6J6Viu0M2HQ/TBYhmbdN8uI/AAAAAAAAOis/DBoHmQfm1ZY/s640/IMG_0699.jpghttp://lh3.ggpht.com/_6J6Viu0M2HQ/TBYhpF1g1CI/AAAAAAAAOi4/5727QdS9Nig/s640/IMG_0700.jpg

niggs98
14-06-2010, 06:51 PM
nice one craig. well done on the result m8. nice to see fab get the support and driver he needs. having worked with him on the project as well i can honestly say its great to see it go so well ;)

Hulk
14-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Hum, there appears to be something missing from the left of my car on the above picture, not sure whats holding that side of the car up :woot: lol.

Richard Lowe
14-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Hum, there appears to be something missing from the left of my car on the above picture, not sure whats holding that side of the car up :woot: lol.
Do you get much rear sidebite with a rollbar that strong?! :lol:

gps3300
14-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Fabs / Craig,

When you get a chance would it be possible to post your setups from the weekend so we can use it as a starting point?

Did you guys run the SP2 rear end or the mid-arm?

Thanks,

Ian

Fabs
14-06-2010, 10:30 PM
@Niggs : A lot of credit goes to you for all the feedback and setup work you've done over the winter ! Thanks mate !

We'll put our setups soon.

Craig's running the proline axles, and this means his car's wider than with the SP/SP2 axles (but is the same as with the normal RB5 axles). Therefore while I was running full SP2 rear end, he had the narrow toe blocks to make the car legal, but with the mid arms still.

Car's haven't been posted yet, I'm going to try to get that sorted asap, bear in mind that now I'm back in Paris I got to go to work, so I have to post the kits on a day where I don't work at post office opening hours.

Lowie
14-06-2010, 10:54 PM
That rear-rollbar in the picture a few posts earlier, is that a Kyosho rollbar?

I haven't seen any rollbars for the RB5 yet.
I'm most interested

Fabs
14-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Kyosho ZX5/TF5 roll bar.

We took them off tbh, those pictures must've been taken friday because by saturday Craig was running mine which is much thinner, then the mounts broke and we just stopped running the bars.

Neil Skull
15-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Great work with the Car Mate, good to see it on a podium again :thumbsup:



bear in mind that now I'm back in Paris I got to go to work, so I have to post the kits on a day where I don't work at post office opening hours.



So Fabs will you be coming to see us at the Kyosho masters? :)

Fabs
15-06-2010, 08:50 AM
When/where is it ?

Edit: sorry Neil this week end I've got a regional near paris.

Lowie
15-06-2010, 12:01 PM
regional? Paris?
tell me more, Fabs, maybe I might come over and participate

Neil Skull
15-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Well Fabs,

We are just outside of Paris in Sucy en Brie.
If you get time pop along and say hello we will be there Friday - Sunday.
Its a huge event well worth popping along for an hour if you can.

Gayo
15-06-2010, 07:08 PM
regional? Paris?
tell me more, Fabs, maybe I might come over and participate

It's a race on Maisons-Alfort track, south-east of Paris. A bit like Kampenhout, but half size :bored:. Still a nice track, ask Freud.
We slightly changed layout and put new astro and jumps.
Send me a PM if you want to race here this sunday!:)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2JQLHtLHErM/TBVGT9CXtnI/AAAAAAAAJPY/XMdCGir_zlM/s1600/Pano+AEC+13+Juin.jpg

Fabs
15-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Hey Ludo, if you wanna come and race, you're welcome to stay at mine:thumbsup:

SimonW
15-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Fabs, What's the likelyhood of getting my car this week? I have a regional this weekend and will have to re-build my car if i haven't got it.

Fabs
15-06-2010, 08:19 PM
I will try to have them shipped tomorrow as I finish early-ish.

paulc
15-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Hi Guys

Picked my Mid Custom Special up at the oOple Invernational finished putting it all together great work Fabs :thumbsup: Heres afew pics



http://www.oople.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=538&pictureid=3211

http://www.oople.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=538&pictureid=3210

http://www.oople.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=538&pictureid=3209

On the shell i have not cut to the lines around the bottom i have cut as low as possible so it sits higher and it gives abit more clearance for the spur gear ;)

Afew stickers and it's ready to go first outing this weekend at Bury Regional :thumbsup:

Paul

Lowie
16-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Fabs, pm send :) :)

about that Race at Suzy-en-Brie: Fans told it is a huge event, from friday till sunday ... but someone else said that i could participate on sunday.

What will be there on friday and saturday then? Other categories then 2WD perhaps?

Fabs, don't ship my kit. It gives me an extra reason to come over :)
Will be a 3 hour trip though. :( ... on the highway (which is boring for a motorbiker ;) )

Neil Skull
16-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Hey Lowie,

Dont get confused.

The masters is a huge international event for 1/8th Nitro buggies truggies and EP 1/8th.

Fabs is attending a 1/10th race at a different track.

Fabs
16-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Yep Neil is spot on, I'm racing at a regional on a small astro track on sunday, and practicing on saturday. It would be a good shake up for you on the car for sure, but it has nothing to do with the Kyosho Masters, which I have no interest in :p

gps3300
16-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Paul,

What's with the spur gear - looks like you've fitted a larger one? Does the Zen shell fit OK with the standard RB5 spur?

Cheers,

Ian

paulc
16-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Hi

The spur gear is an RW Racing 78t for the associated b4 thats what i've been using on my standard rb5 it is a direct fit no modifing just need associated slipper pads and it's cheaper than getting kyosho spur and slipper pads :)

The shell fits ok theres is abit of a gap like what you get on the standard rb5 shell and chassis and like i said i've cut mine below the cut line just to give abit more clearance

Paul

Neil Skull
16-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Yep Neil is spot on, I'm racing at a regional on a small astro track on sunday, and practicing on saturday. It would be a good shake up for you on the car for sure, but it has nothing to do with the Kyosho Masters, which I have no interest in :p

Hey fabs!!

I was looking forward to meeting you not for you to come and enjoy some proper racing with real cars:p

Good luck with the race:lol: