PDA

View Full Version : X6 squared


ian h
27-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Guys, I plan on putting in an order on monday for the conversion kit. My donor car is an FT B4. What extra parts should i get? And should I go with LOSI shocks?

mark christopher
28-06-2009, 07:47 AM
keep your associated shocks, works good out of the box, if you want to spend, parts id recomend, longer rear cvd axles, e speed hangers losi red pistons and if you want your lipo out quick get the quick release battery kit and 4 thumb screws

matdodd
28-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Id say go for which ever shocks you happy working on, I much prefer the Losi ones as do most of the Team but I'm sure the AE ones will be fine. The ES001 camber link mod is the only thing id say you will need but there are a few things which are nice to have like:

ES002 Motor plate support
DMS124 Carbon anti squat shims
DMS133 Carbon motor plate
XF5660 Long rear drive shafts

Mat

ian h
28-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Thanks guys, I will get all those bits and see how I go from there. Looking forward to getting this together. Will post a few pics soon.

stegger
29-06-2009, 07:13 AM
Matt, when using the carbon fiber motor plate how is it supported ? are there inserts in the plate for the screws to go in too ?

matdodd
29-06-2009, 07:56 AM
The screws just screw in to the carbon mate I just put a little ca on them

stegger
29-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Cheers fella :)

ian h
02-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Build pretty much complete, went quite well, with regard to the carbon anti squat shims, what angle is created by which shim? The set up I have gone with requires 4 deg. which shim is that? ie how many holes in the shim?

Lee
02-07-2009, 10:12 AM
4 degrees on the squared is 0 shims.

I'm sure this is correct and someone will correct me if i am wrong

ian h
02-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Cool thanks, will try no shims and take it from there.

jono83
02-07-2009, 10:26 AM
that is correct. i think the shims have a hole in them to help identify them

ie 1 hole for one degree 2 holes for degree and so on

i could be wrong though as this is jus from memory

Lee
02-07-2009, 10:38 AM
that is correct. i think the shims have a hole in them to help identify them

ie 1 hole for one degree 2 holes for degree and so on

i could be wrong though as this is jus from memory

This was the case with the pre-squared car but the rear end is slightly different now so where as 0 shims on the old car was approx 5 deg (i think) it is now 4, so the 4 holed shim would now be 3 and so on.

jono83
02-07-2009, 10:40 AM
ah ok i dont have a squared yet so didnt realise the changes to the rear end had been made

Darren Boyle
02-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Yep, Lee is correct (:woot:) the new car is slighly different, each shim now is one hole "more" than the anti-squat it delivers on the new "X6 Sq" car, ie 4 holes is now 3 degree, 3 holes is now 2 degree, no shim is in fact now 4 degrees.

We have contemplated changing the markings but that would then cause confusion in whether you have a "new" shim or "old" shim, so we have kept the current batch the same for this reason alone.

Lee
02-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Yep, Lee is correct (:woot:)

You sound surprised :lol:

Oh Darren, top gear girl is no more :D

ian h
02-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks guys, I get it now. Maybe a set up sheet could be supplied with the shims?

Darren Boyle
02-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Oh Darren, top gear girl is no more :D

Why am I not surprised to hear that.......;)

Darren Boyle
02-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks guys, I get it now. Maybe a set up sheet could be supplied with the shims?
Maybe be somthing we can look at once the current batch sells out, but we have only recently had a fresh batch done, which are all packaged up and ready to go so it wont be real soon.

jono83
02-07-2009, 01:48 PM
The current batch is compatable with the non squared right?

Mike Hudson
02-07-2009, 02:07 PM
The current batch is compatable with the non squared right?
they are fine with either car you just have to do the math with the squared ;)

Darren Boyle
02-07-2009, 02:54 PM
they are fine with either car you just have to do the math with the squared ;) Very good Mike :lol:

Lee
02-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Why am I not surprised to hear that.......;)


Because i couldn't tell the difference when it was dark :lol:

ian h
03-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Build finished, all weighted, balanced and good to go. Looks an awesome car, can't wait to get it on the track tomorrow. Thanks for all the help guys.

ian h
05-07-2009, 01:01 AM
Ran car for first time today. Like it a lot. As a matter of interest what cells are people running?

Darren Boyle
05-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Most of our team drivers either use the Vampire Racing 5200 30C (Tom, Dan, Mat and Myself) or some of the others use the LRP 5300 28C (Ellis and Phil), but most popular makes will fit and work well.

super__dan
06-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Ran car for first time today. Like it a lot. As a matter of interest what cells are people running?

Hugely recomend the Vampire ones, just ran them repeatedly at Belgium for 4 days without a single problem and **** load of power.

gnr racer
26-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Hi, got to the latter part of building my x6 sq earlier & have come across the 'rear drive shaft problem', I have searched on here & have just got my self confused in all honesty. am i right in saying that if i want to run the standard B4 rear shafts without having any shaft popping out issues i need to NOT use any shims under the gearbox, & i would need to run zero droop at the rear, ie- no spaces under.
also i noticed if i hold the both diff out drives, there is quite a bit of side ways movement, is this normal?
thanks for any advice.

Body Paint
27-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Our UK setup uses no washers under the Gearbox anyway, so take the washers out ;)

I'll have a look for my Caldicot indoor setup and post it later on.

If you want to be able to use any amount of rear droop then you will need the optional X-6 rear axles, which push the driveshaft further into the Diff outdrives (parts available from Trackside Spares)

If you keep the B4 axles then you either have to use the outer hole on the wishbone, or use internal limiters in the rear shocks to use the middle hole of the wishbones.

Not sure what you mean by sideways movement of the outdrive?? Do you mean the whole diff moves left to right? I have added a couple of shims to mine to reduce this, but as it is only a small amount most people don't bother. You do need a small amount of 'float' or the bearings will bind.

Body Paint
27-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Here is my setup for caldicot

gnr racer
27-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Here is my setup for caldicot
Thank you for the advice Mr H :D. Suppose i may be being a little paranoid after running a Losi xxx4 (before people jump on & big up the xxx in its defence, im sure i just had a neglected example :eh?:)
yes i did meen the complete diff moves from side to side, but with a fresh head this morning it doesnt seem to be too bad. just hope i havent gone to quick with my choice of 7.5 'ballistic' motor:blush: . . .can i make a request for a gravel trap or two laid out Friday night?? Mr Knights cash till could well be ringing Friday night :cry:

fastinfastout
01-08-2009, 04:37 PM
ive got the longer xfactory axle, and it doesnt come with a spacer. I have searched and found that LOSA3016 - Team Losi Axle Spacer (http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/15094)
would do the trick, but will order that.

but in the mean time, can I use a b4 front wheel bearing as a spacer?

the bearing seems to be a tight fit with hardly any lateral movement. I'm assuming its nice to have very minimal but some play.

Just in the final stages of the build

hottuna
01-08-2009, 05:51 PM
I bought the Losi spacers, but they are to thin (if you don't want to add more shims which i find unnecessary work) I use a third wheel bearing and 2 B4 stock shims on the outside, and it fits perfect.

jono83
01-08-2009, 06:32 PM
I bought the Losi spacers, but they are to thin (if you don't want to add more shims which i find unnecessary work) I use a third wheel bearing and 2 B4 stock shims on the outside, and it fits perfect.
Me too and its perfect

fastinfastout
01-08-2009, 11:06 PM
perfect!

wheel bearing as a spacer it will remain

blue_pinky
02-08-2009, 10:12 AM
The losi spacer onm it's own does the job perfectly for me...but I think the bearings are actually the same width as the spacer, so either should work really!

fastinfastout
02-08-2009, 01:08 PM
what limiters are people running?

Ive got too much binding in the cvd from too much droop.



Also, what's a good set up for rutted tracks?

Lee
02-08-2009, 02:03 PM
An old skool motor spring has the correct width when you cut off the long bits and slide it over :thumbsup:

Body Paint
02-08-2009, 10:23 PM
ive got the longer xfactory axle, and it doesnt come with a spacer. I have searched and found that LOSA3016 - Team Losi Axle Spacer (http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/15094)
would do the trick, but will order that.

but in the mean time, can I use a b4 front wheel bearing as a spacer?

the bearing seems to be a tight fit with hardly any lateral movement. I'm assuming its nice to have very minimal but some play.

Just in the final stages of the build

You are still using the B4 blue aluminium spacer between the wheel and the hub bearing aren't you?

I can't quite see how you can use a B4 front wheel bearing and still keep the spacer on the outside?? Surely you have made the car about 5mm narrower???

Body Paint
02-08-2009, 10:25 PM
what limiters are people running?

Ive got too much binding in the cvd from too much droop.



Also, what's a good set up for rutted tracks?

If you have the correct length shocks you need no limiters inside the shocks.

Use the generic Ellis Stafford setup just about everywhere.

fastinfastout
03-08-2009, 08:59 AM
You are still using the B4 blue aluminium spacer between the wheel and the hub bearing aren't you?

I can't quite see how you can use a B4 front wheel bearing and still keep the spacer on the outside?? Surely you have made the car about 5mm narrower???
yes I am still using the B4 blue aluminium spacer between wheel and hub.

otherwise I would need to put a tonne of washers to shim it correctly!

If you have the correct length shocks you need no limiters inside the shocks.

Use the generic Ellis Stafford setup just about everywhere.
I'm using the short velvet rear shocks off the RB5, which is exactly the same length as the B4's.

I was thinking of using the kyosho's cos they are so smooth.

I will put my CR shocks on to see if its any better.


Is the Stafford set up good for low traction outdoor?

Body Paint
03-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Remove the rear roll bar, go to 25 weight rear oil and add a bit of weight under the Lipo and you'll be bang on :thumbsup:

YoungChazz
03-08-2009, 01:00 PM
There are lots of low-bite dirt set-ups on the new www.xfactoryrc.com web site. Click on the X - 6 Squared box and go to Tech, then set-up sheets.

Set-ups from U.S. drivers Brian, Dan, Paul, and Nick all work under different conditions. Of course these are all for dirt tracks. Dirt and grass/astro set-ups are far different. The U.K. Boyz are all running weight while the dirt-trackers are running light.

We hope to get up today or tomorrow the new "standard" Kit set-ups which are now included in every Kit. The buggy has two set-ups we strongly reccommend as the starting point no matter where you are. One for grass/astro and one for dirt. The truck has just one, for dirt.

These new standard set-ups will be at the top of the set-up page. 99% of the time, Team drivers are within a washer or two of thse. If the standard set-up is not working for you, it's probably tires.

fastinfastout
05-08-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm a little confused about the antisquat on the X6.

Coming from the B4, the shims are added to the 'forward' side of the rear arm mount. (forward side of hinge pin higher)

But the X6, you put shims to the 'rear', on the toe in block. (rear side of hinge pin higher)

Doesnt this create 'pro-squat', the opposite of antisquat?

Body Paint
05-08-2009, 01:28 PM
No.

If you remove all the shims on an X6 Sq you will have 4 degrees of anti squat. If you put 4mm of shims in the X6 Sq you will have zero degrees anti squat.

Only if you put more than 4mm of spacers in the X6 Sq will you get pro squat.

YoungChazz
05-08-2009, 03:51 PM
The big thing is that you can change it easily & quickly. If you've got the D.M.S. CF shims, you don't even have to pull the two bottom bolts! 60 seconds or less...

fastinfastout
06-08-2009, 07:58 AM
No.

If you remove all the shims on an X6 Sq you will have 4 degrees of anti squat. If you put 4mm of shims in the X6 Sq you will have zero degrees anti squat.

Only if you put more than 4mm of spacers in the X6 Sq will you get pro squat.

ahh......

that makes sense now.

I dont recall seeing anything in the conversion manual about that, or I may have skipped it.

So what I thought I had 0 degrees antisquat, I now know I have 4 degrees, which is how I like it at the moment. Turns nicely with 4 degrees, for me!

Body Paint
06-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Try experimenting with a little less anti squat, especially on high bite tracks. I find my X6 squared jumps lower and flatter with less anti squat, it also feels faster through the tight turns :thumbsup: I am now running 2 degrees of anti squat.

fastinfastout
06-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Yeh I tried less antisquat, but with more antisquat its turning in slightly slower, but holds its line alot tighter mid turn.

fastinfastout
08-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Can someone explain to me about the adjustment of transmission height please?

I cannot think of a reason to want to set up the car other then driveshafts running completely horizontal. This is the most efficient method for setting up ride height, is it not?

jono83
08-08-2009, 12:34 PM
The adjustment is there to change handling characteristics mainly where the dog bone makes contact withe the outdrive. Raising or lowering the gearbox adjusts the amount of forward drive and the amount of side bite. raisnng it will give more forward drive and less side bite lowering it will give less forward traction and more side bite. well in theory anyway lol

hth

jono

YoungChazz
08-08-2009, 02:37 PM
The Team is experimenting more and more with tranny height. It's one of those things where in previous cars we could not play with it easily so when we began with the X Cars it was not a familiar thing to adjust.

As we've gotten more comfortable with the car we're finding out that tranny height can make a big difference in lots of things. Yes, the grass/astro standard set-up is zero, but that's after some experimentation in those special conditions.

The standard set-up for everyplace else is 0.060" and the Kinwald set-up is 0.090". One of the few things Brian changed between Omaha and Hot Rod was tranny height.

fastinfastout
16-08-2009, 11:38 AM
whats the antisquat for the US starting set up?

hottuna
16-08-2009, 05:22 PM
I raised the tranny in my last race on slippery gravel track, and i got much more forward traction. Didn't notice any less side bite. Definitely a setup to play with!