View Full Version : Overdriving front axle.
turbo_brick
07-07-2009, 08:05 AM
I want to try using a losi pulley in the front of my x-5 to overdrive it, do I need the front or rear pulley out of the xx-4? Don't fancy building the diff up to find out I've used the wrong one.
Thanks
Peter
dave-p
07-07-2009, 09:07 AM
whichever is the smallest i would have thought, smaller the pulley faster the rotation, you will put an extra strain on the belt though making the front wheels drive faster than the rear, good luck!.
Yeah, put the smaller (XX4) diff pulley on the front to optain overdrive.
I tried it on my X-5, I found it gives a slight understeer coming out of the turns. Useful on slippery dirt tracks, a good setup option for sure.
Body Paint
07-07-2009, 09:32 AM
You need to put the rear diff pulley off a XX4 in the front. The front pulley off a XX4 uses a fine pitch belt.
turbo_brick
07-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Going on from this how would you work out the internal ratio, after changing pulleys, as I'm also thinking of changing the setup on the centre one for more belt wrap, but this would involve using a different pulley.
Cheers
Peter
c0sie
07-07-2009, 10:25 AM
I understand what overdrive is.....but can someone explain why you would do it?
??
Thanks!
It makes the car more front-wheel driven, so less twitchy and maybe a little understeery.
Al3xis007
07-07-2009, 02:37 PM
it gives you more on power too. i tried it on an astro track and it was ok but i prefer the one-way.
i use x factory diff gears, the bigger center pulley from the xx4, plus the power roller (a bearing holding the belt on the lay shaft pulley) and i use 2 pulleys on the tensioner to create more belt wrap. oh and you gotta run the belt tight
N7ELA
07-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Overdrive works a treat but Ive never tried it on a single belt car... Pete i rekon the belt will last half a race.... :)
Carlos69
08-07-2009, 03:12 AM
it gives you more on power too. i tried it on an astro track and it was ok but i prefer the one-way.
I use both a center one-way + overdrive in my Durga... feels magic... but the same combo doesn't feel as good in the SX....odd that
(medium grip dirt, some carpet)
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.