PDA

View Full Version : Hesitation at distance


Arronb
08-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Hi Guys

Wondering if anyone can shed any light on something for me.

I've got a RTR ZX5 which so far has bene great apart from one slight niggle. When I purchased it from Modelsport the ESC was buggered and after 3 weeks I still had not received a replacement, finally Modelsport called to say that they had been authorised to send me another ESC but did not have any stock Kyosho ones to hand so sent me out IIRC an Asman racing one. When it arrived all looked good and it was fully waterproof which was an added bonus.

Now ever since I been using the car from say 20 meters away if I try to accelerate the car judders and hesitates a fair bit before it gets on the move, once going (usually towards me) it seems fine and this problem does not seem to happen when at close quarters.

Now I'm assuming that its the strength of the signal between the aerial from the ESC and my controller, controller aerial is fully extended and cars aeriel goes straight up through the tube and down again.

Anyone got any ideas as its a little annoying and would like to know if I'd be better off with the stocj Kyosho ESC rather than what I have?

Thanks in advance
Arron

RichB
08-07-2009, 03:17 PM
.....cars aeriel goes straight up through the tube and down again.

Hi Arron, if the aerial wire run up the aerial tube and then "doubled back" on itself all the way back down, then the signal will mostly be cancelled out. It should be better with the wire just reaching the top of the tube, and the excess bunched up neatly inside the car - should be worth a try.
Cheers, Richard.

Fabs
08-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Hi Arron,

Are you sure it's the ESC you are talking about ? There is no aerial on an ESC, but there is one on the receiver.

Fab

Arronb
09-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Cheers RichB, that makes sense, will give it a go.

Fabs, yes your quite correct, did not have car in front of me and as I typed it I thought it sounded wrong.

Thanks
Arron

Fabs
09-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Well if it's a receiver they've sent you, then most likely that's where the problem lies, get them to send you a receiver of the same make that came with the car, this is very important.

Arronb
09-07-2009, 01:16 PM
No its certainly the ESC that was screwed, is it ok haveing a differnt make ESC?

Thanks

Fabs
09-07-2009, 01:26 PM
No but if it's a very bottom range one it could cause problems. I'm sure they're trying to help you out but really they should replace with an ESC that is the same model as the one that came with the car.

Do you know if it's a brushed or brushless ESC ? If you don't know it's quite easy to check, if it has two wires going to the motor it's brushed, if it has three it's brushless.

Arronb
09-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Brushed ESC, thanks for advice so far

Fabs
09-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Well they are in stock at Kyosho UK I can tell you that. You can either ask the shop to get a replacement speedo ref K.82232 or we can help you sort your issues.

One thing to look at are capacitors. Brushed motors need to have 3 capacitors, one from the + to the can, one from the - to the can and one from the + to the -. This is to prevent arcing on the commutator which would cause the kind of thing you're experiencing.