View Full Version : rb5 pinion?
barry
16-08-2009, 01:01 PM
What is the box standard rb5 pinion size and gauge? And is it a good all round choice?
Thanks,
Barry
barry
17-08-2009, 10:23 AM
I've found out the gauge I need - 48dp. Bearing in mind I have no regular track so can't say whether I'd usually be driving on a twisty circuit etc, what would be a good all round pinion (or 2 ) when using a 6.5t brushless and 78t spur.
Thanks,
Barry
21 - 22 - 23 is what I mostly use outdoors.
Lowie
14-09-2009, 07:55 AM
what do most of you use a motor in an RB5?
I ran a (CS) 7.5 in mine this weekend in Kampenhout (Belgium, astro) and I seemed to have a lack of power.
I used an Tekin RS Pro so no problem there.
I use the same combination in my Predator (4WD) but with a 6.5 in stead of a 7.5 and have plenty of power there, even when using a regular throttle profile on my Tekin ESC.
I ran a 78-spur in the RB5 with a 26-pinion.
niggs98
14-09-2009, 08:08 AM
5.5= 21
6.6= 22/23
7.5 = 24/25
maybe you were a touch over geared but shouldnt make that much difference
what lipos were you using ludo ??
Lowie
14-09-2009, 08:47 AM
i used an old Trakpower 4200 and then an LRP 5200-lipo.
still had the same feelings of lack of power... but could be me?
I used a 24-pinion but the switched to an 26 because I lacked the topspeed of the other drivers on the long straight.
funny thing, with the 24-pinion I ran very good the previous week on a grass track (also with long straights) and the car had plenty of "go".
do you guys seriously use an 5.5 in an 2WD RB5? wow. Seems a lot of power for such a small car.
I have plenty with a 6.5 in my 4WD Pred.
What settings on your RS Ludo ?
Lowie
14-09-2009, 09:14 AM
euh stock, i guess. I don't tweak it a lot.
Just used it in dualmode, changed the batt-type to 2s lipo for security-reasons.
I also tried narrowing the neutral width, but that didn't make a difference on the amount of power, only that power-response came a little quicker on the throttle (which what i was looking for at that moment)
Eventually I changed the throttle-profile from 3 (linear) to 4 (more agressive) but that made no or no significant improvement.
There really must be something I am missing here. It doesn't make sence.
My driving is certainly not 100% perfect but i managed to run close to error-less for the entire stints (thanks to the driving charasteristics of the RB5). WHere I often make little mistakes during a 4WD-final in Kampenhout and regulary need marshal-assistance I did not when driving the RB5 (stints with only one or two marshal-interventions for the whole 6 minutes)
And yet, while having BQ, I was passed by everyone and could not keep up the pace.
niggs98
14-09-2009, 09:44 AM
could be a motor slowly dieing m8. ive run all 3 in the rb5 and it has always been rocket ship quick. did you double check the end points on the throttle of your tx, make sure the lights flash at full throttle on your speedo
Lowie
14-09-2009, 09:54 AM
yup, leds flashed up all right. Also, the motor is brand new. Only was running a second competition day.
euh stock, i guess. I don't tweak it a lot.
Just used it in dualmode, changed the batt-type to 2s lipo for security-reasons.
I also tried narrowing the neutral width, but that didn't make a difference on the amount of power, only that power-response came a little quicker on the throttle (which what i was looking for at that moment)
Eventually I changed the throttle-profile from 3 (linear) to 4 (more agressive) but that made no or no significant improvement.
There really must be something I am missing here. It doesn't make sence.
My driving is certainly not 100% perfect but i managed to run close to error-less for the entire stints (thanks to the driving charasteristics of the RB5). WHere I often make little mistakes during a 4WD-final in Kampenhout and regulary need marshal-assistance I did not when driving the RB5 (stints with only one or two marshal-interventions for the whole 6 minutes)
And yet, while having BQ, I was passed by everyone and could not keep up the pace.
Do you have the Hotwire ? If so what have you got the timing advance set at?
Lowie
14-09-2009, 10:07 AM
i do have a hotwire and if I recall well, this timing is set at 10 (it used to be on 12, so no major change there)
niggs98
14-09-2009, 10:14 AM
get on msn m8
will run through a few bits with you
i do have a hotwire and if I recall well, this timing is set at 10 (it used to be on 12, so no major change there)
Timing at 80... That should help a LOT.
I remember when the R1 came out and I was one of the first to test a soft with adjustable timing, I was told not to go over 12 lol. It was dog slow !
paulc
14-09-2009, 03:43 PM
26/78 should be about right for an 8.5 for indoor racing then ?
paul
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.