View Full Version : What does this do??
c0sie
01-09-2009, 01:34 PM
http://boutique.m2d-shop.fr/images/ascc1719.jpg
Its been bugging me for years.....but what is the tool inside the camber gauge, and what does it do/what is it for?
Thanks!
Cris (bored at work)
Danosborne6661
01-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Being a camber gauge, I'm guessing it's a tool to adjust the links? boon :p
c0sie
01-09-2009, 01:44 PM
You would be sadly wrong, boon!
If it was that simple do you think id post it up?
Now, wheres my 'wanka' emoticon when I need it :p
Danosborne6661
01-09-2009, 01:46 PM
I thought that too but then thought well it is Cris askingt his, feck knows then :woot:
IceMike
01-09-2009, 02:16 PM
it was to change the turnbuckle links, but the last car i got that tool wasnt small enough to fit them where the previous ones were. i just guessed that they made the tool to fit the 1/8th instead of the 1/10
_sleigh_
01-09-2009, 02:19 PM
I was under the impression it was an AE camber link adjustment tool, although never bothered trying it as I've a fancy alloy tool :thumbsup:
What you need to remember is the AE turnbuckles are NOT the same size tool as the more commonly used Lunsford turnbuckle. (AE is smaller than Lunsford)
RickRick
01-09-2009, 02:19 PM
it fits the ball cups, just about push in onto the hex part of the ball cup and it grips it whilst winding on the cup without leaving nasty plier marks
dunno if that's what it's supposed to be used for!
_sleigh_
01-09-2009, 02:22 PM
it fits the ball cups, just about push in onto the hex part of the ball cup and it grips it whilst winding on the cup without leaving nasty plier marks
dunno if that's what it's supposed to be used for!
Sounds like you might be right.
c0sie
01-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Every one of these ive ever had has had this tool inside the camber guage but the tool has no "hex" to grip onto a turnbuckle etc. The ones ive had have all been smooth and round, as if its something to do with holding the shock shafts?
I know what the other three tools are for in the AE kits, but IMO this is not a turnbuckle wrench.
RickRick
01-09-2009, 02:25 PM
when i've used it on ball cups it's been round ish inside, it almost clicks onto the cups give it a try
c0sie
01-09-2009, 02:27 PM
when i've used it on ball cups it's been round ish inside, it almost clicks onto the cups give it a try
Will do :)
Ive always used it to help set my rebound when building shocks.
Oh how we all differ eh :D
_sleigh_
01-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Ive always used it to help set my rebound when building shocks.
:confused::confused:
c0sie
01-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Maybe rebound wasnt the correct term?
Anyways..the way I was taught to build AE shocks as to fill the body, then push the shaft all the way up and then tighten the cap on.....however I put this wee tool thingy on the shaft to set the shaft out of the body about 8mm or whatever it is.
Maybe this is why I suck at AE shock building :( lol
RickRick
01-09-2009, 02:30 PM
how does that work then? can't imagine what you'd do with that to set rebound
blue_pinky
01-09-2009, 03:02 PM
So according to the AE website, that tool is a "FT Camber + Track Width Tool"
Am I missing something blindingly obvious (wouldn't be the first time!!! :lol:)...Whats a track width tool???
blue_pinky
01-09-2009, 03:11 PM
From NTC3 manual....it's apparently also a ride height gauge!
Still don't know how it relates to track width though...
blue_pinky
01-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Ahah....track width tool for the NTC3....
Timee80
01-09-2009, 03:27 PM
it holds the ball cup still while you use the other tool to thread the turnbuckle inside. Only really used when you first build the car. It helps to hold it tight on the edge of a table while you do this job. Hope thats clear
jimmy
01-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Ahah....track width tool for the NTC3....
haha nice one, I always wondered what it was supposed to be for :thumbsup:
tymill
01-09-2009, 03:42 PM
So according to the AE website, that tool is a "FT Camber + Track Width Tool"
Looks like you've sussed it out. Guess it has nothing to do with the offroad cars in the first place... Random little tool, it is!:)
I'd just assumed it had something to do with popping ball joints - a bit like a 1:1 pickle fork - but I'd soon discovered that it's useless for that.:confused:
Cheers,
Ty
_sleigh_
01-09-2009, 03:43 PM
So in answer to the original question, it's a complete waste of plastic :lol:
c0sie
01-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Andy,
top detective job :D:D
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.