PDA

View Full Version : PB Mini Mustang's in 'AUSTRALIA 2009'


BORMAC
09-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Just thought i'd post some pics of a couple of PB's Ive ben working on over the past couple of days.
My good friend James has a few spares and has been wanting a Mini Mustang for a while after seeing mine run. I gladly offered to get his car sorted with the best of the bits he had plus a few parts i had spare also.
Ive been running my car (the blue one) for a little while now and have had a ball with it.
Both cars have the ball raced bearing tensioner, 48dp spur, new belts and pulleys, uni's all round and a custom made rear fibreglass tower with built in period wing mounts. James's car has a very nice set of 2.2inch alloy Pepperdots while mine has a saddle pack arrangement.
Ive spent the day stripping my car down, cleaning and sealing up the centre spline from dirt and debris.
Hopefully tomorrow we'll be out running these cars and should get back here with some action pics.:thumbsup:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/bormac/PBJames.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/bormac/PBpair3.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/bormac/PBpair2.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/bormac/PBpair1.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/bormac/PBpair4.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/bormac/PBpair5.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/bormac/PBpair.jpg

blitzboy
09-09-2009, 09:25 AM
wow now that does bring back memories wish i could get my grubby paws on one of those again looking good mate

JohnM
09-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Sweet cars:thumbsup:

Which spur gear have you got? I need a 48dp one for my Mustang:)

NeilD
09-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Hi Jason, i didn't realise you had a PB as well as your many Schumachers. Both looking good though mate.:)

_sleigh_
09-09-2009, 09:27 AM
The "blue" car looks like it's running a CAT 2000ish slipper and spur.

BORMAC
09-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Hello John,
My Mustang is fitted with a Schumacher slipper (BOSSCAT) and runs the schuey spurs. The yellow car has a genuine 90t PB 48dp spur. I didnt even know PB had any of these but its the only one Ive ever seen.

Hello Neil,
Yeah Im fascinated by many of the old cars. I have quite a collection now from many different manufacturers. I even have a nib Maxima too

NeilD
09-09-2009, 09:47 AM
You'll have to get some pics up of the others, mate.

BORMAC
09-09-2009, 09:52 AM
One of these days I'll get them all out at once and snap away. Here's my Maxima kit, how rare do you reckon this is?

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/bormac/Maxima.jpg

NeilD
09-09-2009, 09:55 AM
As rare as hens teeth mate! Looks amazing a real piece of RC history.:thumbsup:

shanks
09-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Yep theeae are bring back memories I had one when I was about ten so 24 yes ago!

Can't remember if it was mini mustang or maxima though - I know it had a two speed gearbox In it

BORMAC
09-09-2009, 01:05 PM
The "blue" car looks like it's running a CAT 2000ish slipper and spur.

Yep, Schumacher slipper. Quite an easy but very worthwhile mod.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/bormac/PB2-1.jpg

...and Ive made a plate to protect the rear end. Ive seen a mate bust the plastic spine well and good. Simple but also a real life saver ( ever seen a spline for sale-I haven't).

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/bormac/PB3-1.jpg

Si Coe
09-09-2009, 05:07 PM
That looks really neat. Used to have a PB Ace myself, beautiful car....

blitzboy
09-09-2009, 05:17 PM
wow wish i still had one what ever happened to pb racing

terry.sc
09-09-2009, 06:12 PM
what ever happened to pb racingPB Racing disappeared because they couldn't keep up with the competition. They were a small company that couldn't invest heavily to expand like other car manufacturers.

Dominated 1/8th on road here until the likes of Serpent invested heavily in CAD/CAM technology and development, they couldn't compete.

Successful in 1/8th off road until the Kyosho Burns came along and again they couldn't compete with them.

Got into 1/10th off road with the first competition 4wd buggy, but without the resources to keep up when Schumacher and their team drivers developed the CAT, which then became the car everyone wanted. As everyone who wanted a mid engined belt drive chassis went for the CAT, PB copied the 6 year old Optima layout on the Ace, the rear motor supposedly the way forward. No one took the bait, so that ended PBs foray into 1/10th buggies.

Early 90s they concentrated on 1/5th scale, with the PB Dart, nice to look at but once again when the other companies started developing their cars they were left behind.

PB shut it's doors in 1996.

Keith Plested is still around though, he now runs KP Designs (http://www.kp-designs.co.uk/), started in 2000 manufacturing upgrades for FG 1/5th scale cars. Now concentrating on 1/5th bikes and being very successful at it.

nova
09-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Hi all,
Being a massive pb fan thought I'd post a few!

Rich D
09-09-2009, 06:46 PM
PB Racing disappeared because they couldn't keep up with the competition. They were a small company that couldn't invest heavily to expand like other car manufacturers.

Dominated 1/8th on road here until the likes of Serpent invested heavily in CAD/CAM technology and development, they couldn't compete.

Successful in 1/8th off road until the Kyosho Burns came along and again they couldn't compete with them.

Got into 1/10th off road with the first competition 4wd buggy, but without the resources to keep up when Schumacher and their team drivers developed the CAT, which then became the car everyone wanted. As everyone who wanted a mid engined belt drive chassis went for the CAT, PB copied the 6 year old Optima layout on the Ace, the rear motor supposedly the way forward. No one took the bait, so that ended PBs foray into 1/10th buggies.

Early 90s they concentrated on 1/5th scale, with the PB Dart, nice to look at but once again when the other companies started developing their cars they were left behind.

PB shut it's doors in 1996.

Keith Plested is still around though, he now runs KP Designs (http://www.kp-designs.co.uk/), started in 2000 manufacturing upgrades for FG 1/5th scale cars. Now concentrating on 1/5th bikes and being very successful at it.


Terry knows his stuff !!

Si Coe
09-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Nova - Did you find a manual and a proper set of front shocks for the Ace then? Awesome!

nova
09-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Hi Si,
Yeah i got a manual and some stickers but best of all i got a new shell!!
The shocks are brimods.
cheers Peter.

nova
09-09-2009, 07:31 PM
some more pic's!

dodgydiy
09-09-2009, 10:11 PM
really wish i had kept my mustangs and maxima. still have my pb ace, it was never as good as a maxima though. still have the original adjustable shocks for my ace, used to race it on brimods though. really should get round to restoring it to working order

BORMAC
09-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Even though the ACE was a total flop I still want to get my hands on one. Not so sure it would run any good but it would be pretty cool getting one of these cars and seeing it run again. LOL!

NeilD
09-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Even though the ACE was a total flop I still want to get my hands on one. Not so sure it would run any good but it would be pretty cool getting one of these cars and seeing it run again. LOL!

Slightly off topic but do you have any vintage Yokomo Jason?

BORMAC
09-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Yup, this one.:D

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/bormac/YOKE8702-2.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/bormac/YOKE8701-1.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/bormac/Boondal244096-1.jpg

NeilD
09-09-2009, 10:39 PM
That would look great on my shelf...

Si Coe
09-09-2009, 11:05 PM
The Ace wasn't that bad to drive, it just wasn't nearly good enough. Against the Optima Mid I'd been using before it was respectable, but it was no Procat. The rear motor wasn't really the problem - the drivetrain wasn't all that reliable (melted a few diffs) and it was a pig to set up. The suspension lacked conventional options and relied on you playing around with those fancy shocks to adjust it.
I only raced it a couple of times because even back then it was rare and the diff problems meant getting spares direct from PB. Who it must be said were superb - I'd send them a bust part, they would send me an updated replacement in a few days. They were clearly using customer feedback to improve the car.
It was getting pretty sorted when I had a go of a Yokomo a lot like Bormacs. There was simply no way it could compete.

NeilD
09-09-2009, 11:11 PM
The Ace wasn't that bad to drive, it just wasn't nearly good enough. Against the Optima Mid I'd been using before it was respectable, but it was no Procat. The rear motor wasn't really the problem - the drivetrain wasn't all that reliable (melted a few diffs) and it was a pig to set up. The suspension lacked conventional options and relied on you playing around with those fancy shocks to adjust it.
I only raced it a couple of times because even back then it was rare and the diff problems meant getting spares direct from PB. Who it must be said were superb - I'd send them a bust part, they would send me an updated replacement in a few days. They were clearly using customer feedback to improve the car.
It was getting pretty sorted when I had a go of a Yokomo a lot like Bormacs. There was simply no way it could compete.

Re Bormac, Si, he is Schumacher all the way through and has some truly beautiful and rare models, i've dealt with him a few times and he's ace plus he has a few other vintage goodies.

BORMAC
09-09-2009, 11:26 PM
That would look great on my shelf...

....and even better on the race track- :thumbsup:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/bormac/VintageStIves0932-2.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/bormac/HEAVYSPICS11.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/bormac/VintageStIves0933-1.jpg

NeilD
09-09-2009, 11:27 PM
If you ever sell it Jason please give me first refusal.

BORMAC
09-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Re Bormac, Si, he is Schumacher all the way through and has some truly beautiful and rare models, i've dealt with him a few times and he's ace plus he has a few other vintage goodies.

Yeah I have a few Schueys but heaps of other rare buggies too. What about my AYK Boost? Or Nikko BRAT ?

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/bormac/AYK15.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/bormac/Boost09-2.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/bormac/Boost091-2.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/bormac/VintageStIves0936.jpg

NeilD
09-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Dude we first got to know each other on the Schumacher forum so don't let the side down, get some pics up!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

BORMAC
09-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Dont worry Neil, Im still a Schumacher nut through and through :lol: My Procat is still my favourite. I took these two with me the other day for a meet with some of my other vintage mates here in Australia, and yes the track was a little wet- LOL.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/bormac/Schueys1.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/bormac/Schueys11.jpg

NeilD
09-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Jason you really an expert in this field, i would love to bring my pretty modern B44 to see you as it would be more than racing however it would be fun and that is the main objective. Is the St Ives track from '89 still around?

BORMAC
09-09-2009, 11:54 PM
When I was in Sydney last week I took the yoke for a run at the new St Ives race track. They levelled the old track and started again. While the new track has lost the original tracks soul its a far better modern day facility now. The off road electric scene is booming in Sydney right now. Im moving back there next week actualy so you'll be seeing even more vintage pics again soon.

NeilD
10-09-2009, 12:02 AM
When I was in Sydney last week I took the yoke for a run at the new St Ives race track. They levelled the old track and started again. While the new track has lost the original tracks soul its a far better modern day facility now. The off road electric scene is booming in Sydney right now. Im moving back there next week actualy so you'll be seeing even more vintage pics again soon.

So if i and my much better half came to Aus you could guide us in the right direction to the race track?? J Boy i wanna race you!!! x( not gay)

BORMAC
10-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Neil,
If you can make it to Australia I'll drive you around to all the race tracks throughout the Sydney region. Even though I have raced my CAT sx and 501X I still enjoy the vintage stuff more. I can drive ok but Im far from the most competitive out there. I'll try and give you a run for your money but you should be aware we dont race on astro much here, just slippery dirt.

NeilD
10-09-2009, 12:12 AM
Neil,
If you can make it to Australia I'll drive you around to all the race tracks throughout the Sydney region. Even though I have raced my CAT sx and 501X I still enjoy the vintage stuff more. I can drive ok but Im far from the most competitive out there. I'll try and give you a run for your money but you should be aware we dont race on astro much here, just slippery dirt.

Dude i'll ask the wife (to be) and if it's on we are there. Fun is the word!!! Are you on Facebook?

BORMAC
10-09-2009, 12:36 AM
Jimmy Oople came out here a whlie back and I think he had a good time. The Sydney crew are a accomodating bunch and the tracks are quite good for electric.
It would be an honour to pick you up and run you around. We have a vintage meeting at Ryde in November too.
What vintage buggies do you have now?

NeilD
10-09-2009, 01:26 PM
I sold all my vintage rides some time ago just got the modern gear now.

Twister
18-09-2009, 01:00 PM
:woot: I´m a yokomo fan but that ayk Boost is the sweetest thing i have seen ever! Awesome.. And how does that yz-870c drive? Would be intressting to hear from aguy had them all :thumbsup: vintage cars that is. Cheers

top-timm
13-09-2010, 09:47 PM
just inherited a pb buggy ( see pic ) but needs a rebuild and wondered if anyone had a manual they could copy for me please.

is this a maxima or mustang ???

also looking to get a body if someone could help with where to buy from

this is a 13 yr old boys project as it was his uncles car from a long time ago and he died in iraq recently and he wants to get running in his memory

hope someone can help him

BORMAC
13-09-2010, 11:28 PM
You have a MAXIMA there. Quite hard to find parts for these cars and bodies are super scarce.
Nice example though.

tarotrex
14-09-2010, 06:35 AM
Dear Bormac,
I would like to introduce myself as you will recognise the car I collected from Australia! It's a great car and I wonder if it is possible to get the dual gear spares nowaday? I am honour be the owner of this new vintage.:thumbsup: Tarotrex

BORMAC
14-09-2010, 06:48 AM
Hi,
Nice to see one of my old PB cars up here. It is indeed a nice car and a lot of time went into referbishing that particular car. Its good to see you up here :thumbsup:.
I might have a spare 2 speed assembly and the pinions too. Drop me a PM some time.

Cheers-Jason

top-timm
14-09-2010, 09:34 PM
hi
would anyone have any old info on the PB MAXIMA as just inherited a car and looking to get a manual for rebuilding and also a new body

hope someone can help please

[email protected]

Welshy40
15-09-2010, 05:57 AM
Jimmy Oople came out here a whlie back and I think he had a good time. The Sydney crew are a accomodating bunch and the tracks are quite good for electric.
It would be an honour to pick you up and run you around. We have a vintage meeting at Ryde in November too.
What vintage buggies do you have now?

Wish i could pop over with my vintage ZXS, which by the way has had a few more upgrades. I see a zxr in disguise. You do know one zxs is on ebay. I almost bought a Ayk and yours looks superb.

dodgydiy
22-09-2010, 08:52 AM
hi
would anyone have any old info on the PB MAXIMA as just inherited a car and looking to get a manual for rebuilding and also a new body

hope someone can help please

[email protected]


I have the manual for pb maxima, also have the ones for sizzler, ace and mustang if anyone ever needs a copy. can email you a copy if you want.

with reference to an earlier article in this thread, the 48dp pb spurs were supplied with the ace, they were rare when the ace was still for sale, i remember stripping one, took me ages to get another