View Full Version : Steering Travel
hickston
10-04-2007, 09:59 PM
Just curious as to what people are using for steering travel on the xxx-cr. My car steers great until I use full lock at which point the back end tends to snap around rather than driving round. I figured it might be because the front wheels are turning too far and maybe digging in? (or am I talking rubbish???)
I turned the travel down to 80ish % and the front wheels look more natural. I havent tested it on the track yet though:(
bigred5765
11-04-2007, 07:47 AM
travel is always set to 100% if its turning round on ya ether set up is wrong or tires need outside edge removing
hickston
11-04-2007, 07:55 PM
hmm, already got the outside edge of the fronts cut off and tried loads of different setup's and oils. This weeks attempt is 3 middle with cutdown rear yellow springs. I dont think it's a problem with rear traction really though.
take 5g of weight out of the front?...I have 20g in there at the minute...
Northy
11-04-2007, 08:01 PM
It could be a problem with the rear end. I have seen the rear end of the CR collapse really easy like in this picture:
http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/bury010407/imagepages/NO5E4908.html
It can give the feeling that the car is 'hooking' into the corner.
G
bigred5765
11-04-2007, 08:06 PM
try harder springs at the back yellow way to soft on most tracks
bigred5765
11-04-2007, 08:08 PM
just as we planed it perfect lol
matty at mac ten .5
hickston
11-04-2007, 08:11 PM
Hey, isnt that Matt's car?
Funny you should mention the rear collapsing, a few people said the back is too soft. Ah well, roll on sunday, the rear is alot firmer now with the 3 middle and cutdown yellows.
Just checking against Phil's setup and the only differences I can see are
Front
Camber 2a instead of 2b (mine currently)
VLA short
Rear
Camber 3e instead of 2b (mine currently)
VLA long
hickston
11-04-2007, 08:11 PM
:D oops, you beat me too it carl!!
MikePimlott
11-04-2007, 08:11 PM
It could be a problem with the rear end. I have seen the rear end of the CR collapse really easy like in this picture:
http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/bury010407/imagepages/NO5E4908.html
G
Every body Checks to see if this is their CR :D
Northy
11-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Were are you racing Sunday?
G
hickston
11-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Bury :D maybe the melted astro will add some traction to the rear?
MikePimlott
11-04-2007, 08:23 PM
:confused: ME ??, Ill be at Bury with everyone else hopefully. :)
tyreman
11-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Hey, isnt that Matt's car?
Funny you should mention the rear collapsing, a few people said the back is too soft. Ah well, roll on sunday, the rear is alot firmer now with the 3 middle and cutdown yellows.
Just checking against Phil's setup and the only differences I can see are
Front
Camber 2a instead of 2b (mine currently)
VLA short
Rear
Camber 3e instead of 2b (mine currently)
VLA long
You could try Blue pistons, 40/45wt oil and red springs, that is what I have run on the car since it came out.
Northy
11-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Give me a shout when your going out to practise and I'll have a watch of your car and try and see what its doing.
G
hickston
11-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Thanks Brian, Ive just changed from 40wt but I didnt try the red springs...I'll give this new setup a go first I think, then get heavier oil and harder springs if it still doesnt feel right....maybe its the driver a little bit too :eh?:
hickston
11-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Give me a shout when your going out to practise and I'll have a watch of your car and try and see what its doing.
G
Thanks G, I'll definately do that, even better, I'll hand you the tranny :rolleyes:
Northy
11-04-2007, 08:40 PM
:) :)
bigred5765
11-04-2007, 09:08 PM
heres what we finished up on at bury
worked fine for us
http://www.hobbytec.co.uk/index.php?ind=downloads&op=entry_view&iden=56
Stu, I'm probably not around this weekend but if G doesn't get it sorted (I'm sure he will :) ) then give us a shout as my CR-mongrel seemed to have Bury nailed last weekend ;)
I'm certain that running the rear end a bit stiffer than you have been will help.
Northy
12-04-2007, 07:57 AM
Pete, do you mind posting your set-up (or pm'ing it to me maybe?) ??
Cheers,
G
On my way out now G, will do it this evening when I have the car in front of me. Oil and pistons will be a best guess, I can't remember the last time I did owt to them :o
PaulRotheram
12-04-2007, 08:43 AM
Told you G, red rear springs are the future, from the past. ;)
Northy
12-04-2007, 10:44 AM
I ran red on Sunday and mine still did it :(
G
Wouldn`t a shorter rear camber link help? like hole 3 on rear tower. and add loads of washers on the ball stud so you get more camber change when you lean on it
Northy
12-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Yes, a shorter link helps, also loads of washers will stop it as you say, but will also have negative effects :(
G
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.