PDA

View Full Version : That really good setup that everyone talks about but ive never seen.


ashleyb4
17-04-2007, 09:02 PM
I have heard loads of people talking about a setup that works pretty much anywhere on the xx4. But where can i find it. As i want a good starting setup as i need to get the xx4 dialled in for a grass track. And this is the first time ive raced it off road. And i dont have any track time before the event with it as i am getting a brushless system the friday before so i have a day and i wont have time to go down the track to get it sorted. And i havent got time to solder the bruhsed setup in either.

A

hickston
17-04-2007, 09:47 PM
The ones at helger (hobby horizon) are pretty good, silver front springs and red rears

Southwell
17-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Look on racechat, the setup is there. If you can't find it, look harder. :p

Col
18-04-2007, 12:03 AM
Look on racechat, the setup is there. If you can't find it, look harder. :p

:D :D :D ;)

ashleyb4
18-04-2007, 07:50 AM
Im not on racechat has anyone got a link for me???

A

_sleigh_
18-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Try this Ash.

Only change might be to drop the front oil to 35wt (Also oils should be LOSI, as AE isn't the same)

http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/autoonline/eknowledge/esetupsheets/exx4we1.jpg

bigred5765
18-04-2007, 09:34 AM
ash also check my downloads section, in the set up sheets,told you about them before,
http://www.hobbytec.co.uk/index.php?ind=downloads
all the setup xx4 are slight changes on the std set up

super__dan
18-04-2007, 11:53 AM
Phil, do you ever run the other ackerman position on the bellcranks, what are your thoughts on it?

Northy
18-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Try this Ash.

(Also oils should be LOSI, as AE isn't the same)



Have you ever tested both oils to check this Phil? I have ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

ashleyb4
18-04-2007, 06:02 PM
What was the diffrence G and how come you aint on MSN

And phil i run losi oil anyways.
A

matdodd
18-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Id say he has, theres not a massive diffrence but you can tell back to back. ;)

Northy
18-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Ah, but how have they been tested? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ashleyb4
18-04-2007, 06:09 PM
I know You got 2 idetical shocks buuil one with losi oil and one with AE oil and you used one of them losi shock matching things. Or one of them shock presu testing devises.

A

bigred5765
18-04-2007, 06:53 PM
the ae oil is supposed to be 2.5-5 weight lighter and attacks the seals quicker or ae seals are cack

Northy
18-04-2007, 06:54 PM
I know You got 2 idetical shocks buuil one with losi oil and one with AE oil and you used one of them losi shock matching things. Or one of them shock presu testing devises.

A

That's a little agricultural Ash!

Don't you remember I used to work for these guys:

http://www.hydramotion.com/

G

Northy
18-04-2007, 06:57 PM
the ae oil is supposed to be 2.5-5 weight lighter and attacks the seals quicker or ae seals are cack

Carl, silicone orings absorbe silicone oil, simple. That's why orings swell.

G

bert digler
18-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Carl, silicone orings absorbe silicone oil, simple. That's why orings swell.

G

ok im not known for making sensible comments but a simple viscosity test would determing this but i have to agree with phil losi oil is better it appears to be much purer:mad:

bert digler
18-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Carl, silicone orings absorbe silicone oil, simple. That's why orings swell.

G

graham i didnt even look at the website u posted so is it thixotropic or something
:D

modelimages
18-04-2007, 08:51 PM
I sold several bottles of shock oil at tiverton, truman senior was available to tell people about the 5 wt difference between losi and Ae oils, however the deciding factor on purchase was the fact that AE oils are 50p cheaper.

john

bert digler
18-04-2007, 09:20 PM
I sold several bottles of shock oil at tiverton, truman senior was available to tell people about the 5 wt difference between losi and Ae oils, however the deciding factor on purchase was the fact that AE oils are 50p cheaper.

john

which is thicker ae or losi
;)

Northy
18-04-2007, 09:24 PM
which is thicker ae or losi
;)

Or is there another option? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

bigred5765
18-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Or is there another option? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

So what's all the inch high private eye stuff about Northy, if you know for real why not just spill the beans, i know ae is thinner than Losi but what els is different then, i why the big secret??

Northy
18-04-2007, 09:44 PM
So how do you know its thinner Carl? Have you measured it?

G

Col
18-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Or is there another option?

Schumacher;)

Northy
18-04-2007, 09:48 PM
:D :D :D :D :D

jimmy
18-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Northy is a fluid dynamics expert - no one should question him!


Leotard!

matt
18-04-2007, 10:00 PM
I only use the AE oils, So as long as your not using 2 different brands of oil does it really matter if they are a little bit out:o

barnyard
18-04-2007, 10:51 PM
i have always gone by this site for shock oil compaisons

http://www.twf8.ws/php/tip/shock.html

but this is only a guide and should not be treated as gospel as various factors need to be considered ie linearity of the oil between varous thicknesses and temperature

bigred5765
19-04-2007, 09:59 AM
So how do you know its thinner Carl? Have you measured it?

G
we all know northy is a master of fluids,in one form or another;)

no i havent but i know a man that has
link thanks to tyreman posted on here in another post

[url]http://www.twf8.ws/php/tip/shock.html[/ur

but as stated i want to know why your not explaning what you mean:wtf:

_sleigh_
19-04-2007, 10:14 AM
It doesn't really matter in this instance how they are different. It just matter that you know they are.

All the UK Losi team run Losi oil, so to run a identical set-up, you should use Losi oil...... End of!!!

ashleyb4
19-04-2007, 10:42 AM
I dont have a preffernce as im not that good of a driver i can tell the diffrence. So i run what i can get.

A

Lee
19-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Ash you need to stick to one brand if you can, fo instance if you have a losi 35wt and a AE 30wt you will more than likely have a very similar oil.;)

bigred5765
19-04-2007, 01:13 PM
we do run Losi oil, i just wanted to know what other differences there was other than viscosity.and the fact that ae oil cost me more,when we use to buy it

Northy
19-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Well when I tested the samples I had I found no difference between Losi and Associated oil.

It's all silicone oil, it's nothing special really.

The website in the link contradicts itself. At the top it says there is a difference between Losi and AE oils, at the bottom when they have done temperature tests the numbers look very similar to me :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My tests were done in a temperature controlled cal lab (@25 degrees) used to calibrate viscometers with a £10k laboratory viscometer. I know what I measured, you guys think what you like. :D :D

G

jimmy
19-04-2007, 05:31 PM
I never doubted you G :D

Northy
19-04-2007, 05:55 PM
I never doubted you G :D

Good to hear it Jimmy, as sometimes I even doubt myself! :D :D :D :D :D

bigred5765
19-04-2007, 06:19 PM
so why not post your results instead of being all secret about it,we are all interested, I'm am anyway others wise i wouldn't have asked, please tell us all what did u find in Ur tests, weight wise or other wise
Please,

Northy
19-04-2007, 06:22 PM
I was just curious how people 'knew' they were different Carl, I'm not saying anyone else is wrong, but I know what I measured. All friendly banter :D :D

G