PDA

View Full Version : Foams for an off road?


DanB4
21-10-2009, 11:00 AM
My club may start running an off road heat, they run on carpet - are there any foams available for 1/10th off road wheels?

Dan

erkan
21-10-2009, 04:50 PM
get your hands on some 1/8th track foams wich are unglued.. put your offroad wheels up in a lathe and make them flat then you can put on your 1/8th foams on them, might be tight but it should fit real good.. i recommend some contact or 2 componenet glue though.. ca-glue is not good

Col
21-10-2009, 07:40 PM
or use schumacher mini pins on carpet like everyone else!!

DanB4
21-10-2009, 08:24 PM
or use schumacher mini pins on carpet like everyone else!!

They won't let us use any spike as they think it damages the carpet......

sparrow.2
21-10-2009, 09:00 PM
They won't let us use any spike as they think it damages the carpet......

It doesn't really damage the carpet, only if they want to run touring on the same carpet the buggies tend to kill the traction for the saloons with the pins.

Run some foams! Soooo quick!

Col
22-10-2009, 07:52 AM
They won't let us use any spike as they think it damages the carpet......

Time to find a new club, dude!!

DanB4
22-10-2009, 01:54 PM
It doesn't really damage the carpet, only if they want to run touring on the same carpet the buggies tend to kill the traction for the saloons with the pins.

Run some foams! Soooo quick!

Yes it's mainly a TC club with foams on carpet, this is just an off road heat in amongst 3 or 4 TC heats.

Neil Skull
22-10-2009, 02:52 PM
My club may start running an off road heat, they run on carpet - are there any foams available for 1/10th off road wheels?

Dan

Without checking i would guess standard 200mm foams would fit straight on!!! they fit on my Kyosho TC which uses same size Hexes. I just had to use a washer to stop them rubbing on the wishbones.

erkan
22-10-2009, 06:43 PM
they fit on the rb5, if you cut the fronts to be abit thinner :) but the feeling gets a bit like a gocart with such small wheels

DanB4
30-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Got some 8th foAms and new rims gonna try lathe them down.

How much should I leave on the foam? 10mm sidwall??

erkan
30-10-2009, 07:44 PM
if you leave them 10mm high, make sure you round them very much or theres a big chance of chunks getting ripped off if you hit a cerb or rolls it..

i would think 5mm is well enuogh.. but i used foams at least 10 years ago :)

DanB4
31-10-2009, 10:53 AM
What a messy job! Did it last night and here's the result....hope it works!

Seeing as others are using worn dirt tyres or road tyres (ie rubber on carpet) I 'should' have the advantage!

Dan

erkan
31-10-2009, 05:20 PM
looking good mate :D

DanB4
31-10-2009, 06:14 PM
looking good mate :D

Cheers :thumbsup:

DanB4
02-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Well, race was yesterday and the foams were a complete SUCCESS!!

My nearest challenger was 5 laps back!! :thumbsup:

The car was immense - so stable over the jumps too.

Dan

Neil Skull
02-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Nice job :)

DCM
02-11-2009, 01:22 PM
what foams did you use? I would be sooo tempted

DanB4
02-11-2009, 02:22 PM
what foams did you use? I would be sooo tempted

I used Enneti 40 shore donuts (PM me for UK link), one full donut width = a rear + a front 2.2" 4WD buggy wheel.

Here are the steps I took (use safety specs!)

1. I started with a rear wheel, put it on a tyre truer and removed the ribs - best to connect the motor so the wheel is spinning away from you.

2. Then I stopped the wheel, removed it from the truer and pushed a donut over the rim until it was square.

3. I then stopped the wheel again and I made a mark with tippex on the outside of the foam using the width of a front wheel as a guide.

4. Using a stanley knife and with the assembled wheel/donut spinning on the truer I cut vertically down by the tippex mark until the excess foam detached - voila, here's the start of the front tyre.

5. I then glued the tyre onto the rim (now looking more like a completed assembly) in several places front and back using a tube of contact adhesive from B&Q.

6. After about 20 mins I started to true the donut down to size, I aimed for 7mm wall size (this bit is messy!).

7. Once I had my desired foam wall I used some sand paper whilst the wheel assembly was spinning to round off the edges of the foam.

8. Then did the above steps 1 to 7 for the other rear and then the front wheels!

I left them overnight to allow the adhesive to set.

The buggy was on rails - nobody could come close, I can't think of a better tyre to use on carpet really.

Luckily I had inherited a hefty tyre truer from a friend last year and didn't know what to use it for until now!

Cheers,

Dan

DCM
02-11-2009, 02:37 PM
so a pair of rear doughnuts will do a full set of wheels for a 4wd buggy?

PM me the link!

DanB4
02-11-2009, 02:42 PM
so a pair of rear doughnuts will do a full set of wheels for a 4wd buggy?

PM me the link!

That is correct, a pair of rears will do a full set of wheels for a 4WD 1/10th electric buggy ;)

PM sent.

Huus
05-02-2010, 10:26 AM
look here:

http://www.tm-rc-racingcomponents.com/buggy%20page%20FrameSet5.htm

Huus

Jamie.T
09-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Ive got some enetti foams from rc-direct. Just wondering if cyano glue is safe to use?

If not what glue does everyone else use?

Jamie......

DCM
09-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Evostick, Cyano will just soak into the foam..