View Full Version : Pirate Bay Pitfalls
Alfonzo
23-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Let me just explain that I know I brought it upon myself..
Was on Pirate Bay yesterday. Just looking, not down or uploading. Suddenly, IE starts to close and up pops a message from the toolbar telling me my Windows Firewall is off. Weird, I think..from there on in it didn't get pretty. All apps fail and freeze, as does windows. The friggin thing beeps continously at me and can only be stopped by holding the power key in. I was running Avast, and have now had a full malware scan, etc. which found a few things but nothing heinous.
I've had to carry out a clean install. Right pain. Had a 110Gb of work / software on the machine.
And to top it off, although the laptop came with XP Pro installed on it, Dell only supplied a Vista re-install disc. I didn't want Vista, so tried calling Dell to discuss. I won't even start on Dell, what a shower!
Computers. Dont' you just love em.
wacattack
24-10-2009, 01:51 PM
why you on piratebay if you arent planning on downloading anything? Seems a little odd to do that just from going onto a site and not downloading anything
creamsodauk
24-10-2009, 02:16 PM
i assume he wasnt at the time but does other times!
hockeyhead019
24-10-2009, 03:38 PM
i assume we're talking about piratebay.org? if so then yes i've heard this problem before with IE crashing... haven't heard any problems with chrome or firefox but they may be effected as well... personally i run a linux system so i really don't have to worry bout it :D
Garry Driffill
24-10-2009, 04:02 PM
what is pirate bay?
Isnt that a Torrent website?
sparrow.2
24-10-2009, 04:34 PM
A silly question maybe but could it have anything to do with ActiveX?
That is one of the reasons I always run Firefox because I've been told it is a lot safer due to not supporting ActiveX.
Reinstalling sucks bigtime :wtf:
Alfonzo
24-10-2009, 09:33 PM
The only reason I posted my story was because I was surprised at the level of carnage caused. I was considering downloading some stuff from Pirate Bay, but didn't get that far!
Not sure if it was to do with ActiveX, interesting idea.
Yes, re-installing truly sucks. Been working on it for bloody hours.
dodgydiy
25-10-2009, 08:18 PM
stay away from pirate bay, if you are looking at torrents head towards mininova it seems a good bit safer than others like bay and limewire. firefox is far better browser than explorer, make the switch, you will not regret it
deepdale11
25-10-2009, 08:28 PM
I know its too late now but would a system restore in safe mode fixed it?
T4miy4 Guy
26-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Torrents take far to long to download and sometimes aren`t as you thought once download!
Downloading from a direct source / live link is far better
I have a hotfile and rapidshare accounts 20meg connection job done! :p
Richard Lowe
26-10-2009, 10:36 AM
This is what virtual machines are for... :p
DaSloth
26-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Private sites ftw =)
Alfonzo
26-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Virtual Machines? Private sites? Live Link?
I need to get with the times :lol:
So if you were looking for some software..?
DaSloth
26-10-2009, 06:08 PM
:thumbsup:You'd go and buy it from PC world or ebuyer.com :p
Alfonzo
26-10-2009, 06:17 PM
They don't stock Pornmaster V1.2 - I asked. :woot:
dodgydiy
28-10-2009, 11:43 PM
one word, xhamster.....
Alfonzo
29-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Those nice ladies will catch a cold wearing next to nothing :woot:
ghost2212
30-10-2009, 11:42 PM
The simple solution in all of this would be tor run mac osx or linux!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thu mbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thu mbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.