PDA

View Full Version : Trackpowers


tiny tom
27-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Can anyone tell me why my 3600mah 30c stick battery are not holding there charge because my aren't?
They are charged at 4.5 to 5 amp and always balanced when chargering, I have had 3 balance go down on me but flighttech have always changed them.
Can anyone help?

bigred5765
27-10-2009, 05:52 PM
need more info, what do you mean not holding there charge, how long can you run with them what are you running motor speedo etc and 4.5 / 5 amps is slightly high charge rate is 1c 3600x1c=3.6 amps

tiny tom
27-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Well I charge them on 2 cell on the trackpower charger, and running them in a cat 3 mins you could see the power drop off and car not going as fast. And sometimes they stop because they hit the lipo cut off at 6 volts

Big G
27-10-2009, 06:09 PM
how long are they being charged for?

tiny tom
27-10-2009, 06:13 PM
35-45 mins

bigred5765
27-10-2009, 06:17 PM
what motor? speedo?? 3mins does sound a little to quick to be at cut out voltage

tiny tom
27-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Brushlless 6.5 and 5.5 and the volt cut off is 6v

bigred5765
27-10-2009, 06:33 PM
does sound like a duff lipo, but can you get hold of another lipo to test of someone else,just to make sure,

Big G
27-10-2009, 06:45 PM
I was always under the impression they should take about an hour to charge at 1C. I guess it's cutting off when it's peaked?

my charger charges the pack quite quickly to 8.4 volts and then the current comes down slowly while the pack stays at 8.4 although during this come down it probably puts another 800-1000mah into them

Body Paint
27-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Sounds like they are worn out, they don't last forever you know. My oldest pack of 3600's have just started doing exactly what you explain.

Mine are way over 300 charges old so I am in no way disappointed with them.

mark christopher
27-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Can anyone tell me why my 3600mah 30c stick battery are not holding there charge because my aren't?
They are charged at 4.5 to 5 amp and always balanced when chargering, I have had 3 balance go down on me but flighttech have always changed them.
Can anyone help?
how old are they? how long have you had them? were they new?
and its Trakpower with no C :p

bigred5765
27-10-2009, 07:51 PM
how old are they? how long have you had them? were they new?
and its Trakpower with no C :p
:woot:you mean 1c mark lmao:woot:
sorry ill get my coat

mark christopher
27-10-2009, 07:55 PM
:woot:you mean 1c mark lmao:woot:
sorry ill get my coat
hmm kind of reads not right with his problem :lol: lol

Marvin
27-10-2009, 08:43 PM
The original Trakpowers were actually rated for 2C charging, just they didn't really advertise it.

4.5-5A is around 1.4C, so is fine.

Colinevan
28-10-2009, 12:56 AM
Tell you what i noticed with the tp's

They orignally advertised as the batts are good for 1000's of charges. they dont quote that anymore lol.

Col.

mark christopher
28-10-2009, 08:37 AM
The original Trakpowers were actually rated for 2C charging, just they didn't really advertise it.

4.5-5A is around 1.4C, so is fine.

its true they are rated at 2c but doing so will reduce life span, so in this case, maybe its not ok, alo the brca guide line is 1c max.

mark christopher
28-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Tell you what i noticed with the tp's

They orignally advertised as the batts are good for 1000's of charges. they dont quote that anymore lol.

Col.

the claim was allways 100+ for racing, and 200+ for practice, its still on the web site.......... One of my packs is near 200 now.

Marvin
28-10-2009, 10:24 AM
The BRCA are hardly at the forefront of technology with the '1C rule' then. At 2C, lifetime will be reduced, though not by that much.

I use (in 1/8) Hyperion batteries that are rated for 5C (and I've charged them at 3-4), and reports suggest that lifetime is not really reduced unless regularly charged at over 3C.

Trakpower did always say the 100 cycles in race conditions, 200+ in practice. Not 1000.

c0sie
28-10-2009, 10:44 AM
The BRCA are hardly at the forefront of technology with the '1C rule' then. At 2C, lifetime will be reduced, though not by that much.

I use (in 1/8) Hyperion batteries that are rated for 5C (and I've charged them at 3-4), and reports suggest that lifetime is not really reduced unless regularly charged at over 3C.

Trakpower did always say the 100 cycles in race conditions, 200+ in practice. Not 1000.

The "1C rule" is mearly a suggestion from the Electric Board. It isnt a rule.

Marvin
28-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Sorry, from Mark Christopher's post I gathered that it's a rule. I stand corrected!

mark christopher
28-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Sorry, from Mark Christopher's post I gathered that it's a rule. I stand corrected!

no prob, my post does say guide line though, not rule.
Trakpowers darks have a 5c charge rate.

c0sie
28-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Although im struggling to find a charger than charges at 25A lol

Big G
28-10-2009, 12:51 PM
mine only does 8A. the overloader not reallly living up to it's name lol

Even though mine say 2C in the book I'd rather stick to 1C to keep them at their best.

Marvin
28-10-2009, 01:05 PM
My charger will do 20A, and up to 8S. :thumbsup:

Still not 25A, but close...

With my new 1/8 set-up for next season, I'll have some nice Thunderpower 45C G4 cells, which are capable of 6C charges. They are only 1.75Ah, so 6C will be easy!

tiny tom
28-10-2009, 04:26 PM
how old are they? how long have you had them? were they new?
and its Trakpower with no C :p


Well I have had them from new, and phoned and talked to flight tech and they told me how to charge them and I read the manual. And the batterys are 30c discharge. And they were charged on 2 cell because they told me to

T4miy4 Guy
28-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Well I have had them from new, and phoned and talked to flight tech and they told me how to charge them and I read the manual. And the batterys are 30c discharge. And they were charged on 2 cell because they told me to

Can`t you send them back too Trakpower? they might warranty them for you!

And the charging at 2C (2cell as you put it) has been explained in the replies and is fine.

Andy;)

mark christopher
28-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Well I have had them from new, and phoned and talked to flight tech and they told me how to charge them and I read the manual. And the batterys are 30c discharge. And they were charged on 2 cell because they told me to

Can`t you send them back too Trakpower? they might warranty them for you!

And the charging at 2C (2cell as you put it) has been explained in the replies and is fine.

Andy;)

i think you both may be getting confused, 2 cell is NOT 2c

tom how long have you had them and how many charges do you think they may have had?
when i have all the facts ill contact trakpower on your behalf as i work with them very closley

mark christopher
28-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Well I charge them on 2 cell on the trackpower charger, and running them in a cat 3 mins you could see the power drop off and car not going as fast. And sometimes they stop because they hit the lipo cut off at 6 volts
2 cell is right but you should for long life charge no more than 1 c which would be 1c so that would be 3.5 amps on your charger so you would set 2c (your charger then knows its 2 cells) and 3.5 (which would be amps)

T4miy4 Guy
28-10-2009, 06:42 PM
i think you both may be getting confused, 2 cell is NOT 2c

tom how long have you had them and how many charges do you think they may have had?
when i have all the facts ill contact trakpower on your behalf as i work with them very closley

:woot: I`m not confused but thought when he said 2cell he meant 2C

Can anyone tell me why my 3600mah 30c stick battery are not holding there charge because my aren't?
They are charged at 4.5 to 5 amp and always balanced when chargering, I have had 3 balance go down on me but flighttech have always changed them.
Can anyone help?

Hes obviously charging them above 1C and trakpower state 2C is acceptable but as you have stated could possibly cut the life span

Good luck

Andy :thumbsup:

tiny tom
28-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Well the batterys are only 10-11 months old, and I have spoke to flighttech and I will be sending back to get tested to see what has happend to them. They are only used 2 times a month

T4miy4 Guy
28-10-2009, 06:54 PM
you will probably get some new ones sent back

Fingers crossed :thumbsup:

mark christopher
28-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Well the batterys are only 10-11 months old, and I have spoke to flighttech and I will be sending back to get tested to see what has happend to them. They are only used 2 times a month
ok if you have spoke to them, how many packs have done this? when your not using them, how do you store them? (meaning with how much in them?)
when you say twice a month, it that 2 runs or two race meetings?

Marvin
28-10-2009, 10:15 PM
You'd set the charger to 7.4V, or 2S (2 cells, in series) Lipo, at 3.6A for 1C (take capacity, divide by 1000, and you have 1C). 7.2A for 2C. 5A is 1.38C, so is well within limits and should barely reduce life cycle.

mark christopher
30-10-2009, 04:53 PM
but it is fact that charging them over 1c reduces life span,
2c is given that there safe to take a charge rate of that, at detriment to life span.

I dare say 11 months and charged at 1.4c you have had your monies worth