View Full Version : Polishing black cars?!?!
Is it one of the hardest colours to polish or something??
What products do you peeps reccomend for a decent finish on a black car?
Ben
Northy
30-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Old used car oil.....
G
MattADH
30-10-2009, 02:47 PM
If you have a few spare hours, try www.detailingworld.co.uk (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk)
ex-sco77morgan
30-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Ok then what's prob you getting a haze'y finish after cleaning? If so you have grime in multiple layers of wax therefore needs cutting right back. I'd have a look at a black T cut then use a quality polish and wax afterwards. Need to get into the paint and cut back quite a bit dude.
SM
millzy
30-10-2009, 02:54 PM
super guard wash is really good http://shop.supagard.com/cnb/shop/supagard?op=catalogue-products-null&prodCategoryID=1&title=Exterior
i use it on my wifes black clio - gets all the crap off and dosent streak- and if i can be botherd i wax it with Autogylm ultra deep shine
Bungleaio
30-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Black cars don't stay black for long, if you want to keep them looking their best you'll need to wash it regularly.
I use meguires car shampoo and dodo juice wax but it really needs a proper polish as it's got a fair few swirl marks on it.
I know this says subaru but it'll give you an idea of what level you could take it to if you want your car looking tip top. http://bbs.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/769657-recommended-products-routine-dark-metallic-pearlescent-subarus.html
bodgit
30-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Get all the cack washed off then use supaguard 100. It puts a hell of a shine on and lasts for up to 3 years without the need to wax again just a nomal wash will do. A few valeters I know use it.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUPAGARD-PROFESSIONAL-100-PAINT-SEALANT_W0QQitemZ280408140697QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4149a0ab9 9
Chrislong
30-10-2009, 03:25 PM
I can deswirl it and wax it for you - leave it looking mint, and give you thorough advice on how to delay the swirls coming back, check my facebook album dude, possibly strike a deal if your dad can repolish my corroding alloys/repair 1 kerbed alloys.
Gibsy
30-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Turtle Wax :wub
Never use anything else but autoglym myself, always used it on every car I've had especially for car shows:D It's also one of the very few that won't leave polish swirl marks on a dark car in sunlight.
ryan_93
30-10-2009, 05:09 PM
if you want to spend some money, invest in a meguiers g220 machine polisher, with meguiers 80, 83 and 83 polishes it gets rid of all of those swirl marks, if you are going to be hand polishing go for Auto glym ultra deep shine is designed for black cars and we have found this works best out of the polishes we have tried.
dodgydiy
30-10-2009, 09:41 PM
pressure wash it, T cut it and then polish with autoglym super resin polish using nice soft polishing cloths. autoglym also do a high gloss polish but that needs to be put on after super resin polish and is only relly worth it for a show car. use autoglym stuff for everything, expensive but well worth it in comparison to others
traffman
30-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Dont use T cut youll end up with more swirls than you had before.
Meguars do a scratch x lotion that takes out most marks but you need to use loads of elbow grease.
Our cars black and the best polish bar none that also masks some imperfections is a product called Blackfire.
Look on Motor geek for it or Polished Bliss.
Unfortunately polish is like alot of other things - you pay for what you get. I use alot of autoglym myself, but there are many other great products out there. Speak to schlong for great advise.
ryan_93
31-10-2009, 09:44 AM
try some zymol royale its a fair price aswell haha
http://www.vertar.com/zymol/zymol-royale-glaze/
losixxx
31-10-2009, 10:14 AM
I can deswirl it and wax it for you - leave it looking mint, and give you thorough advice on how to delay the swirls coming back, check my facebook album dude, possibly strike a deal if your dad can repolish my corroding alloys/repair 1 kerbed alloys.
Chris is the master!! asked his advice last year and followed what he advised to buy and how to use them and car bodywork still looks like when it left the showroom.....(especially like the bubble gum smelling polish Chris ;):woot:)
I always use Autoglym Products:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f344/Reno49/t406.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f344/Reno49/t404.jpg
njc11
31-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Mr Long comes highly recommended :thumbsup:
When i do cars myself either Meguiars or Menzerna (intensive and final finish) products using a Porter Cable Rotary buffer then to finish off Victoria Concours Wax..
Auto Glym products are also very good.. on black the resin polish is good..BUT when the bodywork is warm to touch its a pig to remove.. SO on Black cars use AG's Ultra Deep Shine... ive found hot or cold it goes on perfect and buffs of nicely!
If you want to be even shinier using AG's stuff get the Extra Gloss Protection, apply it an leave it on the paintwork for about an hour then buff to remove :thumbsup:
jimmy
31-10-2009, 12:49 PM
This is that car I want you to scrub up for me Chris - no rush, it's dark metallic blue btw. I've got some wax etc, but I can't get rid of the swirls at all - tho you can't see them in the pic I took today (it's just been lightly jetwashed down at low pressure)
http://www.oople.com/downloads/111r.jpg
Fluo yellow stickers for the win!
GRIFF55
31-10-2009, 12:56 PM
flo yellow wheels now Jimmy, to finishe her off!!! Very nice car there mate:thumbsup:
Chrislong
31-10-2009, 12:59 PM
:wub That car is lovely Jimmy!! Its one of those dark colours which shows any slight swirls, but I can do it nicely - I did Nick Caro's Black VX and that came out amazing, so I'll use the same Sonus polishes to deswirl, and I may try R222 to wax it as it'll deepen the metallic nicely, then I might put a second layer of wax, Collinite, as its hard as nails and will seal in the deep finish through the winter.
Ironically, its these and VX's which take the longest, as due to them being fibreglass the finishes are softer, so I need to be careful, I use very mild polishes and work them longer at low speeds.
The quickest car I have done is the biggest! A Picasso, but thats because it is all windows! ha ha.
Don't use my own car for reference, im ashamed to say the paint is hanging! It is desperate need of a detail, and I intend to do it before new year. :blush: not sure which new year :blush:
jimmy
31-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks Chris, I've been over your side of the pennines three times today having fun in it over the top of the hills - not sure of the road, the A640 maybe? Awesome in that car :thumbsup:
Sounds good to me tho mate - its nice looking and it's clean, but it just doesn't have that deep gloss. I like the idea of a long lasting shine :woot:
Richard Lowe
31-10-2009, 05:52 PM
You finally got it Jimmy, very nice :thumbsup:
On mine I use Autoglym super resin polish then Autoglym HD wax with a light machine buff after each ;)
You finally got it Jimmy, very nice :thumbsup:
On mine I use Autoglym super resin polish then Autoglym HD wax with a light machine buff after each ;)
Rich try the extra gloss protection after the resin polish I think it lasts a bit longer, see what you think......
Richard Lowe
31-10-2009, 06:53 PM
I've got some of that, but I couldn't figure out how you are supposed to use it :lol:
It's like water!
JustARcFan
31-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Meguiare's is a very nice product.
Try these steps:
Wash with a product u use in the kitchen (to get all the old wax etc off)
1. NXT car wash
2. Scratch X
3. DEEP CRYSTALŽ SYSTEM POLISH (http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+A2116)
Deep Crystal polish
4. NXT tech wax
It's also very important to use a good wash mit + towels (microfiber)
Takes a few hours to do but the result is amazing.
steelie600
31-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Chris i didnt know you were a polishing guru!!!
Wanna have a do a cleaning my vr4 till it hurts me eyes?? Ill want the whole car doing tho inside n out, i think shell benefit from a full valet.
Rich D
31-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Nice car Jimmy :wub
I sold my Lotus a while back but it was black. I realy loved it and owned it for more than three years. Never missed a beat. My mate runs his own detailing business. He looked after it for me - I lent him the car during the week to play in and got it back mint for the weekend when i had time to use it :thumbsup:
He used clay to remove tiny "bits" sunk into the paint. I was sceptical of this at first but it really does work. Anyway, i have seen some of Chris`s work on his FB page and im sure he`ll do you a great job. :thumbsup:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj305/D3URY/mylotus.jpg
Rich D
31-10-2009, 07:21 PM
A few cars that my mate has done/currently looks after :thumbsup:
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v283/225/3/632878709/n632878709_636548_9133.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v283/225/3/632878709/n632878709_638900_5916.jpg
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v283/225/3/632878709/n632878709_638933_1047.jpg
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v333/225/3/632878709/n632878709_794825_2122.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v358/225/3/632878709/n632878709_949005_8913.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v358/225/3/632878709/n632878709_949006_9223.jpg
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v358/225/3/632878709/n632878709_949008_9853.jpg
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v653/225/3/632878709/n632878709_1227515_8387.jpg
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs013.snc1/4481_84518828709_632878709_1820153_2107140_n.jpg
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs053.snc1/4481_87310553709_632878709_1864513_2741919_n.jpg
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs155.snc1/5768_105103008709_632878709_2139106_8264758_n.jpg
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs246.snc1/9328_152499553709_632878709_2695277_1935433_n.jpg
JustARcFan
31-10-2009, 07:36 PM
What is that strange white car??
Rich D
31-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Metro 6R4 road going special 2k miles from new :)
burgie
31-10-2009, 07:45 PM
What is that strange white car??
Seriously?
I assume you mean the boxy one? It's a metro 6R4 - one of the iconic rally cars of the era...
JustARcFan
31-10-2009, 07:55 PM
I'm not so in rally cars so didn't recognize it :blush:
I've got some of that, but I couldn't figure out how you are supposed to use it :lol:
It's like water!
Just spread it evenly with a soft cloth all over the car after resin polish, leave it on for about 1 hour then buff it off, I find it leaves a very hard coating that lasts longer than the hd wax;), but see what you think....
Metro 6R4 road going special 2k miles from new :)
It's very nice....but i'd rather have a rs200:drool:
Very nice but missing the centre of the rear spoiler :eh?:
Chrislong
31-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Very nice but missing the centre of the rear spoiler :eh?:
Well spotted Benji! Prob removed it so can get machine to the roof.
I don't admire the 6R4, although recognise why others do and the purpose of them. I detailed a RS200 a few years ago, had done 200 miles or so from new, lovely. It was the RS200 that ended the Group B by ploughing through a crowd of spectators. :cry:
Chrislong
31-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Chris i didnt know you were a polishing guru!!!
Wanna have a do a cleaning my vr4 till it hurts me eyes?? Ill want the whole car doing tho inside n out, i think shell benefit from a full valet.
I can do, but who are you? Sorry :blush: I don't recognise your username...
steelie600
31-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Big Kev Davies aka Fat Knaka from NNRC
It was the RS200 that ended the Group B by ploughing through a crowd of spectators. :cry:[/quote]
Sort of, played a big part in it, there was a lot of bad accidents with group b cars, think that just finished them off Chris, it was at rally portugal 1986 and it was a portugese driver who hit them, not one of the team drivers, then again the crowd was standing lining the edge of the roads, just wouldn't of happened in nowadays.
and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xokJEbfsDe0 :cry:
Back on topic ( a little...)
Not black either, but the principle is the same. Super resin a couple of weeks ago, washed ready for HD tomorow.
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o276/thegreatonereturns/P311009_1155_01.jpg
edit: it's 11 years old...
Chrislong
31-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Big Kev Davies aka Fat Knaka from NNRC
I thought it might be, didn't want to presume (or call someone Fat Knaka who may take offence :D). :thumbsup:
littlened
02-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Got a Black Saphire Astra, and I use Autoglym super resin polish, then once that polished off I go over it with an autoglym gloss finish. Absolutely stunny finish.
Doesn't stay black for long though :)
http://www.web-development-server.com/rc/astra3.jpg
rcracer
02-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Once upon a time mine did shine :cry: any ideas what to use for removing sea spray residue ?
http://www.oople.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=493
littlened
02-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Once upon a time mine did shine :cry: any ideas what to use for removing sea spray residue ?
http://www.oople.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=493
I'm no expert, but something with a fine grit in it maybe? the autoglym super resin polish I use has a bit it. If that doesn't work try something harser. You could try t-cut.
Garry Driffill
02-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Metro 6R4 road going special 2k miles from new :)
I remeber looking at these on Facebook Rich actually, I think Lee said somthing on a status once about the Metro 6R4..
Top job! :thumbsup:
What about metallic black paint? Any advice for that? Mine's a Fabia VRS in "black magic" I think it's called.
What about metallic black paint? Any advice for that? Mine's a Fabia VRS in "black magic" I think it's called.
use autoglym super resin polish and if you want to be really posh do it with extra gloss protection after the resin, metallic paint is laquered so the extra gloss will work even better:)
Lee Martin
02-11-2009, 10:03 PM
black paint...easy...just use rain water!
turbo_brick
03-11-2009, 12:43 AM
http://nedetailing.co.uk/templates/default/index.php?page=view_home
Pete uses this shop loads now, he's just got some 'black hole' from them which is good stuff (we both have black cars)
pugs ae you on commission? :p
Mx
littlened
03-11-2009, 07:58 AM
use autoglym super resin polish and if you want to be really posh do it with extra gloss protection after the resin, metallic paint is laquered so the extra gloss will work even better:)
eeeesssh what a copy cat :p
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.