PDA

View Full Version : Velcro'ed bodyshell


DJ's Dad
31-10-2009, 05:40 PM
We've been to a coulpe of events now and seen the more experienced racers using velcro to hold on body shells rather than messing around with the little clips which always ping off and loose themselves.

We've just tried some regular velcro from Wilkinsons but it doesn't self adhere to the chassis - is there a knack to this or some special adhesive we should use?

Thanks.

Tom3012
31-10-2009, 05:50 PM
lightly sand/rough the sides of the chassis tub, wipe it with a damp cloth, let it dry then try it :thumbsup:

spiro
31-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Clean body and chassis with a non-lubricating fluid, like brake cleaner.
If it still won't stick, superglue that sucker on. :thumbsup:

DJ's Dad
31-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks guys we'll give it a go tomorrow - novice's race debut looming next weekend - no pressure.

reelman_fishing
31-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Wipe the cassis with acetone /thinners or petrol.

Dampen a lint free cloth with one of the above
Don’t touch with your fingers once cleaned as your natural oils will contaminate the cleaned bits.
Leave over night for adhesive to bond properly. :thumbsup:

blitzboy
31-10-2009, 11:27 PM
go to halford and get the heay duty all weather velco buddy ,,, its sticks to anything ,,,, takes up to 15kg thats strong

tom_chang79
03-11-2009, 04:30 AM
I use a 3M velcro sticky stuff. You gotta get quality stick-on velcro. The makers of the stuff you get for cheap doesn't understand that the sticky portion of the velcro has to have a STRONGER adhesion then the velcro itself...

Oh yeah, I try to velcro as much as I can, I hate body clips!

tymill
03-11-2009, 06:38 PM
I velcroed for a while, but have gone back to body clips on the B44.

Basically, clips will not let you down after a rough incident or aggressive marshalling. It's a bummer to have a shell flapping around or (worse) jammed in a weird position fouling mechanisms because it gets partially pulled up on one one side. At least with clips you know that the shell will snap back to where it's supposed to be.

The B44's undertray is a bit wobbly at the best of times even when brand new, and by attaching the shell to the undertray, you're basically just holding the shell on by those three mounting screws on the underside of the chassis and (possibly) those little "sails" on the chassis' edge. A bit ropey in my experience....:bored:

Saying that, I still use velcro on the gold pan RC10, as the chassis has such rigid "walls" that its' a pretty solid connection. That and I've used velcro on that particular car for well over 20 years with no hassles...:thumbsup: